Mike Jones Has A New Trainer

Jones-Eddie

NEW TRAINER CONFIDENT

A NEW MIKE JONES WILL SHOW UP

SATURDAY AT BALLY’S ATLANTIC CITY

Jones-Eddie

Photos by Mary Anne Owen

Las Vegas, NV—Former world-title challenger Mike Jones wrapped up his preparations yesterday at the Top Rank Gym here for Saturday’s 10-round comeback fight against Jaime Herrera, of Franklin Park, IL, at Bally’s Atlantic City.

It has been more than two years since Jones last fought. He was stopped in the 11th round of his IBF world welterweight title fight with Randall Bailey, of Miami, FL, at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas. That was June 9, 2012.

Since then, Jones, 31, moved from Philadelphia, PA, to Las Vegas, was idle for two years while working out daily in Las Vegas gyms, and now is trained by Ismael Salas and Miguel Diaz.

“Boxing is a mental game just as much as a physical one,” said Salas, pictured above with Jones, Diaz and Richie Sandoval. “When we first worked with Mike for this fight, we talked for a long time and worked on renewing his fighting spirit. He is a great fighter and he needs to think that when he walks into the ring he will be a powerful force.

“Mike is very strong and hits hard. He is in top condition; just look at him. After two years off, you will see what hard work and mental toughness did for Mike. He’s ready to fight.”

Salas has worked with 10 world champions, the most recent being Jessie Vargas, of Las Vegas, the current WBA junior welterweight champion.

Jones, who has won 26 of 27 pro fights, 19 by knockout, makes his fourth appearance at Bally’s, where he has defeated Lenin Arroyo, Raul Pinzon and Henry Bruseles.

Herrera, 25, is 11-2-1, 6 K0s. He comes into Saturday’s fight off the biggest win of his career, a fifth-round knockout over previously unbeaten Michael Finney, of Pahrump, NV, last March 29 in Las Vegas. Herrera’s management has been asking for this fight ever since word got out in May that Jones was fighting again.

The scheduled eight-round middleweight semifinal features Thomas LaManna, of Millville, NJ, against Jamaal Davis, of Philadelphia, in a prospect- vs.-veteran crossroads match. LaManna is 14-0, 7 K0s; Davis 14-11-1, 6 K0s.

Ismael Garcia, of Vineland, NJ, and Gilbert Alex Sanchez, of Camden, NJ, collide over six rounds to determine the best junior middleweight prospect in South Jersey. Garcia is 6-0, 3 K0s; Sanchez 4-4-1, 2 K0s.

ABOUT AUGUST 23

The Jones-Herrera and LaManna-Davis fights top an eight-bout card at Bally’s Atlantic City. First fight is 7.30 pm. Tickets are priced at $50 and $75 and they are on sale at the offices of Peltz Boxing (215-765-0922) and all Ticketmaster outlets (800-745-3000). Tickets also are on sale at www.peltzboxing.com and www.ticketmaster.com. www.gofightlive.tv will stream the card on the internet. The card is being promoted by Peltz Boxing Promotions, Inc., and Top Rank, Inc., in association with Bally’s Atlantic City.

Mike was a huge welter.... I wonder if he can still make weight or if he's moving up? Good luck.

He should be able to make welter. Dude had/has bird legs and needle arms. He even had/has raven shoulders. The right dietitian can squeeze him into a light welterweight. Holla!

Based on your description let's call the Chi-Town Bird man.....lol

The Shadow says:

Mike Jones has a new trainer? OK? I had Raisin Bran for breakfast. Who cares?

What I want to know is when does he come out with a new album?

Mike JONES!

Mike Jones has a new trainer? OK? I had Raisin Bran for breakfast. Who cares?

What I want to know is when does he come out with a new album?

Mike JONES!

Hehehe! Different Mike. The rapper one is about 5-foot-6, 230-pounds of diabetes and love Texas barbecue, tatters, banana pudding and soda that is known as Dr. Pepper. That doc had to have been a quack. Holla!

flackoguapo says:

Mike Jones has a new trainer? OK? I had Raisin Bran for breakfast. Who cares?

What I want to know is when does he come out with a new album?

Mike JONES!

"281 3308004 call mike jones up on tha' low!

flackoguapo says:

Mike Jones has a new trainer? OK? I had Raisin Bran for breakfast. Who cares?

What I want to know is when does he come out with a new album?

Mike JONES!

Between Raisin Bran and roid-fed cow milk, you are stuffing up all of your arteries with bad fat, developing a high cholesterol problem and starting racing heart-beat problems that is jacking up your blood pressure and will send a stroke right to your noggin.

That type of bad-sugar-and-foul-milk breakfast is killing you slowly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLxcYpB9-A. Holla!

flackoguapo says:

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=flackoguapo;61813]Randall Bailey can really say he can put dudes out the game for a while. Well at least one[/QUOTE]

My man! Hell yeah, dude landed like two punches all night. And them two strikes broke Mike's face in like three places. I was there in the arena. It's one of the sickest things I've ever seen in my life.

[QUOTE=flackoguapo;61815]How long after you wake up do you eat Radam? And whats the usual RG breakfast-of-champs?[/QUOTE]

The Commish says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;61827]A hot cup of alkaline water after about 30 minutes after getting up. About three hours later, after exercising, road work and showering, a hand full of unsalted almonds, some seaweed, red beets and a bowl-filled of oat mill cooked in coconut water. And dill weed and dill seeds thrown in. Holla![/QUOTE]

I will tell you this--it ain't seaweed, dillweed and the rest! I do drink lots of coconut water and have my red beets in my nightly salads.

But my breakfasts? Right now, you've got me thinking of the breakfast buffet at the Mirage in Las Vegas!

-Randy G.

The Commish says:

Hopefully, with his new trainers, he also was given a whole new attitude. *Of ALL the fighters I have covered, interviewed, talked to, written about and profiled in a career which has touched five decades, NOBODY has ever had a worse attitude than Mike Jones. *

Shortly before the crushing loss to Randall Bailey, I called Hall-of-Fame promoter Russell Peltz asked him if he could get his unbeaten welter, Mike Jones, on my show. *Two days later, Peltz called me back.

"I am having trouble reaching Jones," he told me.

"You're his promoter," I said. *"Keep trying. *If we don't get him on this week, we'll shoot for next week."

The next day, Peltz called me back.

"Mike doesn't feel like doing the show," said Peltz. *"To be honest, he's not all that comfortable being interviewed or with the media."

"Russell, it goes with the territory!" I said.

"I know that," replied Peltz. *"You and Gerry (Cooney) will be great for him to learn from."

Well, after a few more calls, Peltz got Jones to come on. *What a mistake.

I gave Jones the big "Randy G. Buildup." *After the buildup, I rolled out our version of the red carpet. *

"...welcome to the show, the undefeated, hard-hitting, Philadelphia version of Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns, Mike Jones."

Silence. *There was silence. *Dead air.

I quickly jumped in.

"Mike, are you there?" I asked. *I looked at my producer, who was sure Jones was on the line.

"Mike?" I repeated.

Then, his voice was heard.

"Yeh!"

"Yeh?" *I'm thinking. *I just gave the guy a buildup as if he had just won "Fighter of the Year" and all he can say is "Yeh"????

Well, from that point, Jones seemed to be as uncomfortable as a cobra at a Mongoose convention. *Gerry and I couldn't wait until the interview was over. *When it was, Cooney and I just looked at each other.

"What was that?" he asked me.

"That was, at least in my buildup, *the future welterweight champion of the world," I replied.

Well, Jones is back. *Two years of dedication and hard work have taken him to his upcoming comeback fight. *He's got new trainers, an even better offense, a tighter defense and a renewed confidence.

Hopefully, he's also found a personality. *Anything is better than the one he had!

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=The Commish;61840]You got me thinking breakfast and threw off *what I started to write about on this thread in the first place: *Mike Jones.

"I am having trouble reaching Jones," he told me.

The next day, Peltz called me back.

"Russell, it goes with the territory!" I said.

Well, after a few more calls, Peltz got Jones to come on. *What a mistake.

Silence. *There was silence. *Dead air.

I quickly jumped in.

"Mike?" I repeated.

Then, his voice was heard.

"Yeh!"

"What was that?" he asked me.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Nooooo, you gave him The Buildup, The Intro of Intros and all this roody poo could say was "Yeh?!"

Maybe your namesake Randy B. knocked some sort of jive into him with his two-punch/triple fracture destruction that left him bleeding thick blood from places you're not supposed to bleed from like the tip of the nose.

Just to honor Randy B. and his freakish power, here's a brief compilation of this man's grotesquely absurd, borderline bizarre punching power.

I'm so serious, it's almost cartoonish the way they fly across the ring sometimes. They don't tumble or stumble, they fly across thr ring or on the back with velocity.

I swear, it looks like WWE sell jobs but those hammers are real:

[video=youtube;b7D_3abkm4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7D_3abkm4M[/video]

The Shadow says:

Doesn't it kinda look like this? I almost can't tell the difference. [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHxIwI19PlY

[QUOTE=The Commish;61832]Damn! How long long have you been on this breakfast? I don't even want to tell you what I eat before heading off to the gym around 5:30am.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

Hehe! Almost forever. I'm so vain with two percent body fat. Holla!

The Commish says:

With those breakfasts, I'm surprised you have that much body fat!

-Randy G.