Stiverne and Wilder Coming Closer To Clash

BY The Sweet Science ON July 15, 2014

EOTTM LOGO

Wilder not a threat to Stiverne; Champ plans to teach 'little kid' a lesson

Bermane Stiverne

LAS VEGAS (July 15, 2014) - Long before World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight champion Bermane "B. Ware" Stiverne (24-1, 21 KOs) knocked out Chris Arreola (35-4) this past May to claim the coveted title belt vacated by retired Vitali Klitschko, Deontay "The Bronze Bomber" Wilder (31-0, 31 KOs) started talking smack about Stiverne and he hasn't let up as the impending showdown approaches later this year.

Wilder is the mandatory, No. 1 challenger for Stiverne's first defense. If the relatively untested fighter from Alabama believes his incessant trash talk, juvenile antics and bizarre behavior is getting to Stiverne, he has another thing coming when they step intoi the ring. In fact, Stiverne admits he's been amused.

"He's not going to get under my skin," Stiverne said. "I think he's funny. Maybe he should think about doing a comedy act after I beat him? Friends have sent me stuff he's said and done. It's funny. He's like a little kid who needs attention, so he keeps opening his mouth. His trash talking doesn't bother me at all. I saw some people who brought up what he's said. What am I supposed to do, hand my title to him? I guess he wants to entertain his fans. If he thinks his tricks are going to bother me, he's going to be in big trouble."

Stiverne-Estephan

Stiverne & Estephan

While Wilder's chatter hasn't fazed Stiverne, his manager, Camille Estephan (Eye of the Tiger Management), has already tired of Wilder's act. "Wilder is a clown," Estephan remarked. "No respect! What's he ever done to act like this? Look who he's fought. Bermane is going to expose him and shut him up for good. His actions are ill advised. Wilder doesn't realize he's in for such a rough ride and a very big surprise. We're happy to fight him, mandatory or not."

Some have proclaimed Wilder as the next world heavyweight champion, using his perfect professional record as evidence for his coronation. His skeptics, however, believe Wilder's record has been built up by fighting fraudulent opponents, pointing out he's never fought anybody as nearly as good as Arreola (Stiverne's victim in his last two fights), never mind somebody with the rare combination of power and quickness that Stiverne possesses. Meanwhile, "B-Ware" has been basking in the glory of being a world heavyweight champion, proudly noting he is the first Haitian-born fighter to achieve that distinction.

"My life hasn't really changed too much other than my popularity growing," Stiverne talked about life after becoming world champion. "My Instagram followers went up from 2,000 to 13,000 from one picture. There hasn't been one day I haven't done something in public. I expected change but not like this. People used to look at me and ask if I played in the NFL. I've had people tell me they always thought I was a football player until they saw me fight Arreola. Places I used to stand in line to get in, well, I don't stand in line anymore.

"I try to stay on the down-low. I'm not out clubbing every day, or feel that I have to do something in public. I'm available but, closer to the fight, I'll shut down everything 4-5 weeks out unless it has to do with the promotion. I don't think it has fully hit me, yet. It will when I go back to Haiti to meet the President (Michel) Martelly."

Stiverne is a breath of fresh air in a division dominated by the robotic, impersonal Klitschko brothers for the past decade. Stiverne's fan-friendly boxing style, coupled with his bubbly personality, make him extremely marketable as long as he keeps winning. Stiverne-Wilder has tremendous implications for the winner in terms of a potential mega-fight with Wladimir Klitschko for a total unification of the heavyweight belts. Stiverene, though, remains fully focused on Wilder.

"I do feel like a fresh face in the heavyweight division," Stiverne concluded. "I'm bringing excitement back to the heavyweight division like years ago. Wilder's not a threat but I'm taking him serious. I take all my opponents seriously but I'm going to teach that little kid a lesson. It's a shame his promoter and manager are putting him in such a big fight like this so early in his career."

For further information visit www.eottm.com, or follow on Twitter @eotmvd and @BStiverne.

Nice piece. I do believe that D-Wild acts a like naive child. And about him, those people around him, don't really care. Or maybe they just don't know any better for matching him with B-Ware.

D-Wild is always shouting stuff about that he is "Ordained by God to be the heavyweight champion of the world." But D-Wild keep on sinning. I cannot see why God is in a prizefight between two pugs, and I cannot see D-Wild winning.

Maybe I'm inattentionally blind. But I cannot see D-Wild whuppin' B-ware's behind. Holla!

oubobcat says:

I hope this fight comes off. Its a great match up and will certainly produce some heavyweight fireworks.

Wilder is of course aligned with Al Haymon. I thin a great idea would be to get this fight signed and place it on the Mayweather-Maidana undercard in September. Its a unique concept as a heavyweight championship fight is almost always a main event though not unprecedented either. Back in the late 90's, Don King used to stack some Tyson undercards with heavyweight title fights.

Adding this fight to the Mayweather card would certainly help boost PPV buys in my opinion. It adds to the value fans are getting for the event and I think would also draw in more of the casual sports fans. Think about it...an evenly matched and potentially explosive heavyweight title fight plus the Mayweather-Maidana rematch. I would venture to say such a card could do in excess of 1.5 million PPV buys if not more.

Regardless where it lands, I guess first and foremost I hope we see the fight. Honestly, I have flipped my opinion on who would win a couple times now and probably will continue to flip flop until just before the event. There is no way this can't be a good fight and would certainly continue to help booster the heavyweight division which as we all know is historically the marquee division in the sport. As the old saying goes "As the heavyweight division goes so goes the sport of boxing."

deepwater2 says:

I miss Don King stacked cards. That blowhard might of rambled on and on but some of his cards were super stacked. If Wilder can land that super right hand and Stiverne gets up like that handicapped internet guy then Wilder might be in big trouble. I see Don King pulling" an injury in camp excuse" and then milk some easy fights. Wilder will have to fight some one else. Shannon Briggs anyone?

flackoguapo says:

I like Stiverne in this fight. If he can handle that right hand then he's gonna be bombin' out those viscous check-hooks and I've seen Wilder on tape get wobbly in amateur bouts. I know, i know its not the same but it's an ingredient that is part of his pugilistic soup.

I like Stivernes mentality. He seems to refuse all this "pretty boy swag" that a lot of dudes are trying to play off with the media. He handles his business the way he thinks a MAN should.

The Commish says:

I look forward to the fight. The Stiverne-Arreola fight marked the changing of the guard, and there's still more to go.

The Klitschko Brothers have been exemplary champions. Their only problem is that they never fully connected with the American boxing public. They have been content to be popular in Europe. Who can blame them. When they fight in Germany, arenas sell out. Newspapers are filled with their photos. They are on TV stations throughout Europe. They have made their respective fortunes over there.

Vitali is now the Mayor of Kiev, not the WBC Heavyweight Champion. Bermane Stiverne now wears his old belt. Wladimir holds all the other belts.

The winner of Stiverne will face Wladimir next Fall, probably in the biggest stadium in Germany. Or in Europe. There will be more fans there than there were for the World Cup Final.

American TV will also be there, though probably in the form of PPV. It will be worth every penny.

Fans the world over will be interested in the fight. So will young school kids and old-timers.

Heavyweight Championship Boxing will be back where it belongs--in the public eye.

We can't wait for Stiverne-Wilder to get things rolling.

-Randy G.

I look forward to this fight. A heavyweight fight not involving a K bro that is compelling, that either fighter could win. I don't know if we have the next big thing in Wilder or we have the next Micheal Grant. One way or the other we will find out when these two clash. Bermane can crack with both hands. Then again I think I've only seen him in the ring with Arreola. He was shook by Chris but he handled it well and came back. Everything has gone Wilder's way as a pro. This is where he proves himself to be a Champion or it all goes down the drain. This could be a great fight.

Finally a heavyweight fight where both combatants possess the ability to detonate Mega-tons of explosive power with either hands.
No discrace to the loser. The laws of physics dictates than when power of this magnitudes collides against the unprotected chin. The resulting carnage will leave one fighter unconscious before the closing bell.
Can Wilder strike like the lightening bolts of Zeus from a distance.
Or will the ultra cunning Stiverne walk him into a carefully concealed cobra strike?
Either way its a lethal proposition for either fighter.
Its good to see both Stiverne and Wilder adopting such a positive outlook.
Im betting this fight doesnt go past the fifth round.

The Commish says:

Can Wilder strike with the lightening bolts of Zeus from a distance.
Either way its a lethal proposition for either fighter.
Its good to see both Stiverne and Wilder adopting such a positive outlook.
Im betting this fight doesnt go past the fifth round.

Fifth round, huh. The over/under on this will probably be three rounds.

This is truly going to be an explosive heavyweight match. When was the last time a heavyweight champion went into a fight and it was tough to pick a winner? I don't remember when.

My pick is Wilder. I have been following him since the Olympics and he has tremendous athletic skills. His punching power, especially with his right, hasn't been seen since Big George Foreman roamed the heavyweight landscape. Yes, he has been brought along very tenderly and matched against opposition even Bernie Campbell and El Dude could beat. However, I believe Wilder is capable of fighting up to and over the ability of his opponent. In this case, it will be the very talented Bermane Stiverne.

Other than the two victories over Arreola, we don't know much about the "Haitian Sensation." He moves very well for a big man and has exceptionally quick hands. He can punch hard with both hands but also has some defensive flaws.

Wilder's jab and hook have been improving every fight. If his jab can find the range right from the start, I will not be surprised to see his right find the target as well.

When it does, we're looking at the winner and NEW...

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

Wilder has a lot of talent. My big concern with him is the competition level he has faced. He has never been pushed or remotely threatened inside the boxing ring. And the thing about that is none of the opponents he fought were expected to challenge him when they signed to fight him.

We saw it happen recently with Gary Russell. He was used to having his way in the ring and doing whatever he wanted to do. His speed overwhelmed all 24 opponents he faced and they never remotely competed with him. At some point before going into the deep water, he needed a challenge. He needed to fight someone who knows how to deal with speed and could push him. He never did and the very first time he stepped up he went into the deep water and was drowned by Lomachenko.

How will Wilder deal with any sort of adversity in the ring? What happens if things arn't going his way and he needs to make some adjustments? What about the mistakes Wilder makes that he has been getting away with (for example pulling straight back with his hands down and chin sticking straight up)? He hasn't paid for these mistakes yet and many times fighters don't correct their mistakes until something happens inside the ring.

I wish Wilder had fought a couple better fights that pushed him, made him pay for some mistakes, etc. I would feel much better about him going into this fight.

All that said, Wilder is gifted. I think he does have real one punch power though its tough to tell for sure because of the level of competition he has faced. He has very good hand speed for a heavyweight. He is extremely athletic.

This is a tough one for me. Initially I had Stiverne, then I thought Wilder and now I just don't know. It is a very intriguing fight to say the least.

Bernie Campbell says:

Nevermind the Bull Sh.. Get Tye Fields in there to test both their molasis behinds, Oh by the way Joey abel can box!

The Shadow says:

Isn't Tye Fields retired? And what do you think of Robert Helenium vs Deontay Wilde and/or Bermand Stivern?

The Commish says:

I'm feeling it's gonna' be Big D here, not Big B.

Wish they'd announce a date/site, so I can start making plans to be there.

-Randy G.

Domenic says:

Tye Fields' career ended on a Pacquiao undercard 4 or 5 years ago when he was bombed out in the first round by Monte Barrett (might not have been MP but think it was). I'm psyched for this one. Boxing's bill of health is better when the heavyweights are relevant. They appeal to the average consumer, where the lighter weights simply do not, with the exception of the ultra elite upper tier. Personally, I was much higher on Wilder before he debased himself and the sport with that embarrassing spectacle with the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest guy, but I'm pulling for him because if he wins, a Klitschko - DW match-up is the biggest heavyweight fight since the unsung Lewis - Vitali barnburner, which was epic.

Gun to my head, I'm taking Stiverne.

Bernie Campbell says:

Both of these guys are garbage, bring julius Long outta mothballs, is this what the Americas have to offer? Marius Wach would make them dizzy! At the same time!

Hehehehehe! Wow! Heeeeeee BAAAAAAACK!

B-Camp is back gettin' on his clowning. We néed to give him a crowning. With deadpan wisecracks, he gives us a drowning. Haha! Holla!

The Shadow says:

I hear ya Bernie but what about Robby Helenium? Marius Wack was in camp with Wilde when David Hey was training for Tyson Fury, do you remember? By all accounts they all put up galant efforts in sparring.

Latest Articles