SHOWTIME TO TELEVISE WBO BANTAMWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Live on "Canelo vs. Lara: COUNTDOWN LIVE"
Saturday, July 12 on SHOWTIME®
Tomoki Kameda Defends 118-Pound Title Against No. 1-Ranked Contender Pungluang Sor Singyu, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena Prior To the Start of the Live PPV Event
SHOWTIME Sports Offers Extensive Live And Taped Programming Across Multiple Platforms In Advance Of "Honor & Glory: Canelo vs. Lara,"
Saturday, July 12 LIVE on SHOWTIME PPV®
NEW YORK (July 3, 2014) - As part of a robust block of programming in advance of the SHOWTIME PPVpresentation of "Honor & Glory: Canelo vs. Lara," on Saturday, July 12 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, SHOWTIME will televise undefeatedWBO Bantamweight World Champion Tomoki "El Mexicanito" Kameda defendinghis title against No. 1-ranked contender Pungluang Sor Singyu during "Canelo vs. Lara: COUNTDOWN LIVE" (7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT, immediately preceding the live PPV event).
Nearly a week's worth of live and taped programming will be available on SHOWTIME, SHOWTIME EXTREME®, SHOWTIME ON DEMAND®, on mobile devices via SHOWTIME ANYTIME®, and on the premium network's website at SHO.com/Sports.
The blitz of programming will feature classic fights, the premiere of ALL ACCESS: Canelo vs. Lara Episode 2 on Wednesday, July 9 on SHOWTIME (9 p.m. ET/PT), the event's final press conference onThursday, July 10 (live at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT) and the Official Weigh-In on Friday, July 11 (live at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT). Both the press conference and weigh-in will be streamed live via SHO.com/Sports with the weigh-in also being televised live on CBS Sports Network.
Fight Day coverage begins with a SHOWTIME EXTREME roadblock-five continuous hours of programming beginning at 10 a.m. ET/PT.
Kameda(29-0, 18 KOs), of Tokyo, Japan, will make his second title defense against Sor Singyu (46-2, 31 KOs), of Bangkok, Thailand. Sor Singyu formerly held the same championship belt until losing it to Paulus Ambunda in March 2013. Ambunda lost his belt to Kameda last August in a unanimous decision in the Philippines.
Kameda, who turns 23 on the night of the fight, will face his most experienced opposition yet in Sor Singyu, 26, who has produced three wins in a row since losing the WBO title. Both fighters will be making their U.S. debuts.
Kameda and his two brothers, Koki, 27, and Daiki, 25, are among the most famous boxers in the history of Japanese boxing as all three recently held world titles at the same time. While Tomoki held the WBO Bantamweight Championship, Koki was the WBA Bantamweight Champion until he voluntarily relinquished the title in December in order to move down to flyweight, and Daiki was the IBF Junior Bantamweight Champion until he lost by decision last December.
Below is the list of encore presentations of Classic Fights that will air on SHOWTIME EXTREME beginning Monday, July 7. Note: these programs are currently available on SHOWTIME ON DEMAND® and on mobile devices via SHOWTIME ANYTIME®
Monday, July 7
* Canelo's action-packed and controversial showdown with Alfredo Angulo (10 p.m. ET/PT)
* Lara's brutal slugfest with Mexican brawler Alfredo Angulo (11:15 p.m. ET/PT)
Tuesday, July 8
* Canelo's memorable win over Austin Trout in front of nearly 40,000 fans at San Antonio's Alamodome (10:30 p.m. ET/PT)
* Lara's impressive performance against former world champion Austin Trout (11:30 p.m. ET/PT)
Wednesday, July 9
* Canelo's SHOWTIME debut against upset-minded Josesito Lopez (10 p.m. ET/PT)
* Lara's SHOWTIME debut against Ronald Hearns, where he showed why he is one of the most talented and dangerous fighters in the world (11:00 p.m. ET/PT on ShoBox
* Abner Mares' controversial showdown versus Daniel Ponce de Leon (11:10 p.m. ET/PT)
Thursday, July 10
* Action-packed showdown between Juan Manuel Lopez and Daniel Ponce de Leon (10:30 p.m. ET/PT)
* Showdown of undefeated contenders Francisco Vargas and Brandon Bennett (10:45 p.m. ET/PT)
* Mauricio Herrera's thrilling slugfest with unified super lightweight champion Danny Garcia (11:30 p.m. ET/PT)
Who's the best Mexican boxer today?