Willie Monroe-Brandon Adams Tops ESPN FNF Card

BY The Sweet Science ON May 20, 2014

Willie-Monroe-Brandon-Adams

ESPN Friday Night Fights Boxcino Championship Finals at Turning Stone this Friday, May 23; Champions will be crowned in middleweight and lightweight tournament, plus five other exciting bouts scheduled

ONEIDA NATION HOMELANDS (May 20, 2014) The thrilling ESPN Boxcino Championship tournament, in the middleweight and lightweight divisions, culminates with the title bouts at Turning Stone Resort Casino, this Friday night, May 23, live on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights.

The middleweight finalists punched their ticket to the championship finals with impressive victories in the semifinals, last month, also at Turning Stone. Upstate New York fan-favorite Willie Monroe Jr. (17-1, 6 KOs) of Rochester, NY will face undefeated Brandon Adams (14-0, 9 KOs) of Los Angeles, CA in the Boxcino middleweight championship tournament final, scheduled for 10 rounds.

The lightweight championship tournament final is also set for 10 rounds, and features Russia's Petr Petrov (34-4-2, 16 KOs), who now resides in Madrid, Spain, against Fernando Carcamo (17-5, 13 KOs), of Ciudad Obregon, Mexico.

Presented by Banner Promotions, the 2014 Boxcino Championship included a lightweight and middleweight tournament. Eight boxers in each weight class made up the initial field. The fighters who have now reached the finals, are all hoping that a strong showing will launch them into the world-title picture in their respective weight classes.

Five other exciting bouts are scheduled for Friday night. Unbeaten heavyweight slugger Nat Heaven (9-0, 7 KOs) of Ocala, FL, returns to Turning Stone to take on David Williams (7-8-2, 2 KOs) of Philadelphia, PA in a six-rounder. Heaven scored an impressive first-round knockout victory over highly regarded prospect Donovan Dennis, at Turning Stone, on the April 18 ESPN card.

Super featherweight prospect Vitor Jones De Oliviera (3-0, 2 KOs) of Salvador, Brazil, will face Jeremy Graves (0-2) of Niagara Falls, NY, in a bout set for four rounds. Undefeated middleweight Cesar Vila (6-0, 2 KOs) of Brooklyn, NY is set to meet Marcus Hall (7-6-1, 2 KOs) of Rochester, NY, scheduled for six rounds.

In a four round welterweight bout, Oscar Torres (2-0, 1 KO) of Anaheim, CA tangles with Cornelius Whitlock (3-0-2, 2 KOs) of Baltimore, MD. Lightweight Sam Teah (3-0, 2 KOs) of Philadelphia, PA is set to face Roel Moreno (0-2) of McAllen, TX, in a bout scheduled for four rounds. All bouts are subject to change.

This Friday’s event is the latest in a long line of nationally televised boxing events held at Turning Stone in recent months. Boxing legends Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have each promoted televised fight cards at the resort over the last year, and Tyson will return to Turning Stone in the role of promoter for an Iron Mike Productions ESPN boxing event set for Friday, June 6.

Tickets for the May 23 ESPN Friday Night Fights Boxcino Championship finals at Turning Stone are on sale now, in person at the Turning Stone box office, by calling the box office at (315) 361-7469, or through www.Ticketmaster.com Tickets are priced at $60, $35, $25, and $15, and are subject to additional fees. Tickets will also be available at the gate. Doors open at 6:00 p.m., with the first bout scheduled for 7:00 p.m. The live ESPN telecast starts at 9:00 p.m.

oubobcat says:

I absolutely love this card. This will be a much better show than the Showtime card the following day.

The Adams-Monroe fight is very interesting. Its a classic matchup of contrasting styles. Adams is a boxer puncher who has shown tremendous strides in his last two bouts. He has very good hand speed and is developing some very good skills inside the ring.

Monroe is a slick boxer. He is fast and uses the ring. But he does not run, he uses angles to get his punches off and get out. Monroe will make for a very difficult fight for a lot of Middleweights let alone Adams.

The bout I am really excited about is the Lightweight final between Petrov and Carcamo.

Petrov and Carcamo are each aggressive brawling type fighters. They each prefer to come forward and exchange. Neither fighter likes to use the ring or give much lateral movement. Its all about coming forward and throwing to the head and body. They each are more than willing to take a few shots to get in their own punches.

This is an absolute can't miss fight. I actually strongly believe it will be a fight of the year candidate. There is no way it can't be entertaining. I really can't wait to see this one.

oubobcat says:

The Commish says:

I am also looking forward to this ESPN card. Kudos to them and Banner Promotions for launching this tournament this year and bringing it to a conclusion so quickly.

While I love the Petrov-Carcamo fight, it's the Monroe-Adams fight I will be watching with interest. Why? Silly reason. I was friendly with and covered Willie uncle--Willie "The Worm" Monroe so many years ago in Philly, during the years of Bennie Briscoe, Eugene "Cyclone" Hart and Bobby "Boogaloo" Watts.

Thus, the nostalgic side of me--along with the rest of me--is rooting for Willie to pull one out for "The Worm."

With his slick boxing style, along with the fact he simply keeps getting better, I think Willie will come away with the win and the Boxcino Middleweight Title.

The Petrov-Carcamo fight? Bombs away. I'll lean towards Petrov by late round TKO.

-Randy G.

Tremendous card indeed. I'd say it cuts like a knife.

The Commish says:

I am thrilled with the way the Boxcino tourney turned out. ESPN suits and Art Pellulo of Banner Promotions should be proud of the way this tourney turned out. They held the quarter-finals and semi-finals in two different weight classes and did so in a matter of only a few months. There were no large gaps between fights. Now, here we are with the finals just hours away.

With the success of this tournament, hopefully they do it again in two other divisions.

Let's see. How about Heavyweights and Featherweights?

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

This tournament has been a tremendous success I feel.

One thing that helped make this a success was that all the fighters had something to prove. Whether it was a veteran fighter looking for an opportunity or young fighter looking to get their name out there, they were all very motivated to succeed. This made for excellent fights and great television.

I hope not only ESPN brings back future tournaments but that also other networks take notice as well.

I know Showtime did the Super Six Tournament but that had mixed results. As the Commish points out, one big thing with the Boxcino Tournament that has helped make it success is the quick turnaround.

I think one great idea would be for a Flyweight Tournament. There are some very good fighters flying under the radar and such a tournament could give them great exposure. And there are some great fights to be made. Just look at the names (Juan Francisco Estrada, Brian Viloria, Giovani Segura, Roman Gonzalez). A four person tournament among these fighters could develop some fight of the year candidates.

Lets hope we see more of the tournament format in the future. And lets sit back and enjoy the finals on Friday of the Boxcino Tournament.

Thanks for the preview Commish, I'll be sure to record it.

Fridays are usually the only night I can get free. Now I know there will be something worth seeing when i get back... Especially if the Roast is cosigning.

oubobcat says:

Thanks for the preview Commish, I'll be sure to record it.

Brownsugar, don't miss this card. I promise you that there are going to be two very quality intriguing competitive fights. And mark my words, Petrov-Carcamo will get some fight of the year consideration.

Latest Articles