WBC Suspends Broner, Demands Apology From The Boxer

BY Michael Woods ON May 07, 2014

Adrien-Broner-Marcos-Maidana-fight 068f9

I admit it, I laughed. Sue me.

Adrien Broner cracked me up with his goofy, but profane and yes, perhaps insensitive crack following his win last Saturday over Carlos Molina in Las Vegas.

His "Can Man" schtick has been around awhile, but never been delivered in a milieu quite like the one we're in now, hot on the heels of the Donald Sterling takedown. I Tweeted that I wouldn't have been offeneded if he'd beaten an Irish boxer, and subbed in "Irish-Can-Man" after getting the W...but if there's one thing we do well in this nation, at this time, is get our panties in a twist, get heated, get offended, and get righteous. The WBC rose to the occasion, and sent out this release on Wednesday, smacking down Broner for his insensitivity. Here is the release:

WBC Suspends and Demands A Public Apology From Adrien Broner

Adrien Broner, the former WBC lightweight champion, has offended many persons of the world with his words during the interview after the fight vs Carlos Molina.

The World Boxing Council holds human equality as its banner and will not accept a former WBC champion making racially offensive statements. Since words have different meanings and can be interpreted in different ways, the WBC is issuing this open letter to Adrien Broner to either clarify what he meant with his words or to issue a public apology if those words were intended to be despective and offensive.

Adrien Broner is hereby suspended from participating in any WBC sanctioned Championship and will be excluded from the WBC Ratings until the time he makes a public apology satisfactorily to the public of the world.

Boxing is a great sport, it is a world sport and boxers are honorable and exemplary members of the community. FairPlay and human equality must always be upheld.

I reached out to WBC prez Mauricio Sulaiman, and asked how the WBC reached this decision to slap Broners' wrists. He replied: "Several years ago, Chris Arreola expressed horrible remarks on a fight aired, I believe, by HBO. The WBC suspended Arreola. This Saturday he will fight for the WBC title. The Broner statement hurt many people;  we have received countless emails and messages and there is an outrage for his continous public actions," he continued, referencing the fact that Broner has repeatedly gaffed in public. "This time it was on live TV, on a card which reached millions and made the sport of boxing suffer from a terrible image .The WBC board of governors decided unanimously. The WBC has a code of ethics and we have acted accordingly, respecting the WBC Rules and Regulations."

So there you go. I think, myself, if we transferred some of our outrage for these sort of situations, and instead focused our attention on more substantial matters, stuff that affects more than our feelings, but rather our wallets and bodies and vocations, most of us would be better off.

oubobcat says:

Broner's comments after the Molina fight were disgusting and very distasteful. I really don't want to hear him talk anymore. However, the only way to stop this act in its tracks is to hit him the one place it hurts and that's the checkbook. Until then, he probably isn't going to change much because frankly he loves the attention and see it as a why of marketing himself.

Here is what I would love to see...Stephen Espinoza come out and state the Adrien Broner is not permitted to fight on Showtime until further notice. He has the power to send a message that this behavior will not be tolerated. Broner would then be forced to fight off tv or on a low budget Fox Sports show. He will then be hit in the pocketbook substantially without Showtime's backing and maybe, just maybe get the message.

Good for the WBC. Broner is a disturbing human being.

WBC has over stepped. Of course Broner is disgusting. But what racially offensive comment did he say?

The corrupted WBC is trying to steal thunder from the pro basketball controversy. Danggit! Hehehe! Ninety percent of the boxers are going to be banned nowadays. Ninety-five of the trainers and 100 percent of the $ & ¢ coaches and promoters.

I cannot see how Pops Angel Garcia and Ghost Dad Ruben Guerrero have been given a clearance of their racist-mouth super jive. And what Uncle Roger's jive.

Broner can leave the WBC, Showtime and the other posers and come on back to HBO, the WBO and any of the other corrupted alphabet-sanctioning organizations.

He can fight Da Manny. And get knocked da double fudge OUT. Wow!

The WBC hasn't curved the action of foul-mouth Money May. Who has clearly went worse on Da Manny than Broner has done anybody.

Let the courts handle Broner for any slandering and libeling, as the WBC did with Da Manny when Money May was going off with bigotry, racism and and hardcore LIES. Holla!

Maybe the corrupted, posing -- trying to look caring -- WBC should fined Broner like the NBA did Kobe Bryant. Money outta his pocket will shut an idiot up. And maybe that should be the first move.

The WBC is going to end up getting suited BIG TIME for singling out Broner, when Pops Angel Garcia was clearly racist intolerant of Amir Khan. And just holla at the slurs that Alex Ariza used again Top-Notch Trainer Freddie Roach. Holla!

El Dude says:

It was uncalled-for, for Broner to disrespect his opponent but in all fairness we are talking about Adrien "The Problem" Broner. Molina was the underdog and lost fair and square but he did manage to expose Broner's Problem's in the ring. I said it before and I'll say it again, Adrien Broner is not cut out for the shoulder roll technique. AB sells, no doubt about that but Boxing is a business so I'll let this one slide. I am old-school in heart and I expect the Gentlemen traditions of Boxing to continue to live strong.
by El Dude.

Maybe the corrupted alphabet-sanctioning organizations will now put out a list of words that you cannot say, just as the list of PEDs and roids that you cannot take.

You are riding a slippery slope when you don't have written-down, establish rules of what words are forbidden and what words are allowed. And you then single one idiot over the others. Holla!

"I've beat AfriCANs, and I've just beat da f°¢k outta a MexiCAN," is what Broner was apparently suspended for. None of this is racist or bigoted. Dude was just being colorful and sarcastic with the play on "...CAN!"

"Anybody CAN get some," he known to boast.

WTF! At a maximum, the dude was being jinoistic or nationalistic. He was just showing rivalry between nations, ethnicities and continents, as he has been doing for the last few years.

You guys are digging for something that it is not there. I don't even like Broner. But I will always defend anybody against hypersensitive rhetorical injustice.

l always call a spade a spade. And don't hide in the shade.

Ev'ybodee and dey momma wanna go along to get along, instead of being alone for fairness.

Showtime and the WBC are wrong by a 100 percent. The "...CAN"-word is Broner's motto. And it has been all right for him to say that for the last couple of years on HBO, but now the high-and-mighty Showtime and WBO are intend on making him a pariah.

OMFG! Da double standards of freedom. So now Showtime and the WBC are going tailor make fighters' vocal cords. Next it will be no gruntIng when punching. Holla!

What Broner said was a foolish thing to let come out of his mouth. He frequently defines himself as an idiot who is starved for attention.
But this penalty comes out of the blue.

In a sport where anything goes...why take it out on Broner when there had not been any standards previously. They let Broner run amok for years and suddenly he's slapped with a penalty without notification that what he's doing was no longer acceptable.

I appreciate the fact that the networks want to set some standards. But like Radam said, the knee jerk reaction to what Broner did in his post fight interview is entirely unfair.

First set the standards and expectations ..... Then inspect what you expect and penalized offenders accordingly. These actions are way over the top and come off like a personal attack on the immature Broner instead of an inforcement of standards (that never existed beforehand)

I mean... what are the boundries? What can you say? What can you not say? What constitutes crossing the line? I still don't think anybody knows.

If this would have happened in the corporate world under the same set of circumstances, the accused party would be on the receiving end of a bullet proof lawsuit.

Prior notification would have negated the need for Showtime to engage in all this posturing and grandstanding after the fact.

New York Tony says:

I don't care for Broner, but what I like even less is when suits cynically sacrifice free speech on the altar of political correctness. This cowardly appeasement, this pandering to phony outrage and so-called sensitivity, rampant throughout our culture, is steadily eroding one of our most fundamental and precious rights. Those who applaud it today will rue having done so tomorrow.

Skibbz says:

There was nothing wrong with Broner's statement when he said it and I didn't understand what the fuss was about then. Now, the WBC has played an uncharacteristically amateurish move and no one looks good in my opinion.

The WBC is the Wuzzy Banditos de Caballeros. They are straight-up robbing idiotic Broners of his freedom to be stupid and to get paid for being so. Didn't these fools, along with the WBC and NYSAC strips GOAT Ali back in grandpa's day for free speak and making a stance against an illegal war? Hehehe! I think that they did.

Even the meanest of scumbags didn't strip "Unforgivable Blackness" Jack Johnson back way super back in da day.

These nowadays posers oughta leave "Unforgivable Stupidness" Adrian Broner B -- not broke. He's a human with a expressions, not a horse or neo-boxer or neo-human.

Let a pug shut him up and shut him down. Not a corrupted alphabet-sanctioning organization or the new-age mafia electronic outfit -- Showtime.

I believe that Showtime and the WBC are scapecoating Broner as a signal to tsAH that his mysterious shadowy arse is getting too darn BIG.

The game is shady, sneaky, sleaky and the "theatre of the unexpected" with optical illusions everywhere. Holla!

The Shadow says:

"Anybody CAN get some," he's known to boast.

l always call a spade a spade. And don't hide in the shade.

Showtime and the WBC are wrong by a 100 percent. The "...CAN"-word is Broner's motto. And it has been all right for him to say that for the last couple of years on HBO, but now the high-and-mighty Showtime and WBC are intend on making him a pariah.

OMFG! Da double standards of freedom. So now Showtime and the WBC are going to tailor make fighters' vocal cords. Next it will be no gruntIng when punching. Holla!

Spend your 7500th post address this response, Sensei!

I happen to agree with you. Is this outrage due to it being Broner? Or due to the statement.

I'd like to ask you guys, what made the comment "insensitive?"

From what I read, he was referring to nationality, something that doesn't intersect with ethnicity, much less racism.

I've heard him refer to the "Argentinian boogeymen," namely one L. Matthyse and MMAidana.

Would it have been less offensive if he said he "I just beat the f*** out of an Argentinian" or for the sake of pun, "South American?"

If so, how so? I really, truly would like to know. Has Mexican become a bad word?

From what I remember, one of the biggest narratives of the 1996 Olympics was the fact that an "Ameri-CAN" beat a "Cuban" for the first time in 20 years.

I'm truly wondering whether Broner is catching flack for being Broner. From I saw, he spoke of the man's nationality, though the card was watched by Mexicans predominantly, which may have led to the outrage.

DISCLAIMER: during Pacquiao-Marquez III, when JMM was doing exceptional body work, I got caught up in the ecstasy of the event and excitedly yelled out, "yeah! Pound those Filipino ribs!"

Is that racist, too?

When reading the statement it sounds terrible.

When actually watching the interview and hearing it it just sounds stupid.

I dont think AB meant it to be racist, he was trying to rhyme his "can" with Mexi"can".

What is more disturbing is that AB has no game, no swag. He is just all ignorant and no substance...

The Shadow says:

When reading the statement it sounds terrible.

When actually watching the interview and hearing it it just sounds stupid.

Yeah, you're right, I think he's just trying to sound hip with his canned -- no pun intended -- catchphrases.

What I always found so silly about it is that he's admitting to beating up cans.

Why has no opponent mocked him for that? "Yeah you're the can man, alright. TOMATO cans!"

The Commish says:

AB is a punk. He says things he thinks are funny, but they're not. He says things he thinks will make him look "cool," but they don't. He says things he thinks will impress people, but they don't.

I will say this over and over: Just let Broner fight. His fights are entertaining. Then, after the victory, march him oput of the ring with no interview. Shut him down. Shut him off. That will take care of Mr. Potty Mouth.

-Randy G.

I'm totally perplexed by the posing of the WBC and Showtime. I guess no pugs better use squared jungle nicknames such as "The Black Rhino," "Hispanic Causing Panic," "White Buffalo," "Nigerian Nightmare," Black Mamba," "Mexicutioner," "Filipino Flash," "Fighting Viking," "Fighting Rabbi," "The Southern Rebel," Haitian Sensation, "Lone Texas Cobra," and "The Hawaiian Punch" any more.

And taking heads of Showtime better not ever say "Mexican" and any "Can," since they p¡$$ed on Broner's parade. By the way don't say Filipino, Brit, South African, Canadian, German, Russian, Norwegian or Irish or any nationals.

Adrian "The Problem" Broner was clearly not racist. But jivy and foul mouthed. No fair whatsoever for the WBC and Showtime to try to hit him with a mirage shot of conducting racist smack talk. And they want him to apologize? OMFG! They owe an apology for defamation of character to him. Dude should lawyer up and go after them. He said nothing racist. And nothing that he has not been saying for years.

WBC and Showtime won't and can't run optical illusions on people with brains.

Since they believe in make believe, they ought to fall off a wooden fence into some pig slop, and then maybe they will wake up in a shack being carry by a tornado to the Land of Oz.

The Wicked Witch would beat their arses for landing on and killing her sister. And the munchkins would laugh them out of Oz. Because the munchkins "CAN."

The Wizard of Oz would put them in the Yellow Brick Penitentiary for perpetrating a fraud against seedy boxing and stupid-acting Broner. And trying to run a con on thinking-for-themselves fans. The WoZ will put them in the YBP for life because he "CAN!" Hehe! Holla!

The Commish says:

I have gotten a phenomenal amount of texts, e-mails, Facebook messages and Tweets on the subject of Broner. It's amazing that not ONE person came to his defense.

There is simply no defending the trash which comes out of his mouth.

He is getting what he deserves.

-Randy G.

There is simply no defending the trash which comes out of his mouth.

He is getting what he deserves.

-Randy G.

The average Joes and Janes are usually on the wrong side of history.

My great great grandpa and 3x great uncle tell me that the average Joes and Janes were on the wrong side about and against "Unforgivable Blackness" Jack Johnson.

My mommy and pops tell me that the average Joe and Janes were on the wrong side for "Unforgivable 'Ain't got nuffin' [$¡¢] against 'em Viet Cons'" Muhammad Ali.

So I'm not surprised that the average Joes and James are on the wrong side against "Unforgivable Stupidness" Adrian Broner.

Exactly what racism did he do? Help me somebodee and dey sidekick? Holla!

The Commish says:

Radam: Don't put AB in the same league with Jack Johnson and Muhammad Ali. He is not--and never will be--in their league.

I am not jumping on Broner for anything racist. I am simply amongst a majority of boxing fans--of all races--who are tired of Broner's act. His fights are interesting. His post-fight interviews are not. They are not witty, they are not cute, they are not intelligent, they are not funny. They are more obnoxious, insulting and nauseating than anything.

That's why I say--and it will be a topic on my SiriusXM show today--that Showtime, or whatever TV network has the distinction of telecasting Mr. Potty Mouth's next fight, should refuse to do a post-fight interview with him. Leave us talking about his fight, his in-ring performance, rather than his sorrowful, illiterate, post-fight interview, where we have to watch his father brush his hair. After the fight, send him to his dressing room. Let him preach to his entourage.

They seem to enjoy him more than we do!

-Randy G.

They seem to enjoy him more than we do!

-Randy G.

No way in heck would I put him in that league. I'm posting about principles, fairness and justice. I've posted clearly that Broner is an idiotic, but don't single him out and scapegoat him because of it. He doesn't have to be the way any corrupted, mafia-action electronic outfit or corrupted alphabet-sanctioning orgnization want him to be. Not to long ago, boxing knuckleheads use to do the same thing to gays.

Broner has a RIGHT to be stupid as he wanna be. And Showtime has a right not to televise him. And the corrupted WBC has a right not to rank him or give him one of its cheap title belts. And scribes have the right not to interview him and do copy on him. But don't make the young man a pariah with make believe -- a darn mirage, an optical illusion of the BIGGEST.

And haters did and do make believe on Jack Johnson and Muhammad Ali. And I will not back down from that.

"Old Smoke" -- as they use to call JJ, and "The Louisville Lips," as they use to call MA -- were major league bulljived by the posing, hating powers that be. Broner is being minor league double bulljived from the posing politically right, hating, perpetrating a fraud powers that be of nowadays.

My great grandfather (when he was a toddler, and the USA was using extreme racism and oppression in my homeland) sit on the lap of Old Smoke. Baby I sit on the lap on the GOAT Ali, and I got on my peepee.

I just don't dig scapegoating and perpetrating racist frauds on any human being, stupid or a genius or a xenophobe. And we geniuses and those stupids are always single out by the powers that be to rhe average Joes, Janes, pimps and hos for them to go berserk on us for being US -- our darn selves.

There are big-time haters of Albert Einstein, because they claim that he didn't know how to comb his hair. Maybe Broner's pops is helping his son out because of da haps to genius Einstein. Hehehe!

I'm riding shotgun with Broner's rights and his father's rights to be whatever they wanna be, and cut a couple of fools as much as they want to.

And maybe the the illiterate ones are those folks not knowing that they are free to change the channel or turn off their flatscreen televisions or iTablets or iPads when Pops and the silly-spittin' pug Broner come to be interviewed. They are not trying to win an interview contest, but are just being themselves with an interview. In this day and time, when you don't dig something, if you are there, you walk out, if you are viewing it, you block it out.

Broner has a right to his type of expression, and we have a right to choice. It is in the U.S. First Amendment. Walk out or block him. Holla!