Ruslan Provodnikov To Fight Chris Algieri June 14, on Long Island

BY The Sweet Science ON April 10, 2014

provodnikov bea97

PHILADELPHIA (APRIL 10, 2014)--On Tuesday, April 15th and Wednesday, April 16th, WBO Junior Welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov (23-2, 16 KO's) will be hosting two press conferences to announce his much anticipated return to the ring, as he will defend his title against undefeated Chris Algieri (19-0, 8 KO's) that will take place on Saturday, June 14th at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, Long Island. The fight will headline an HBO Boxing After Dark card and is promoted by Banner Promotions, Top Rank and in association with Joe DeGuardia's Star Boxing.

Provodnikov of Beryozovo, Russia announced his arrival on boxing's big stage with his "2013 Fight of the Year" with Timothy Bradley on March 16th. He then captured the WBO Junior Welterweight title with a 10 round beat down of defending champion Mike Alvarado on October 19, 2013 in Broomfield, Colorado.

Algieri of nearby Huntington, Long Island is ranked number thirteen by the WBO. He will be making his 1st attempt at a world title and earned this opportunity with wins over Bayan Jargal (15-2-3), Jose Peralta (10-1) and Emanuel Taylor (17-1).

deepwater2 says:

Wow . I can't believe the coliseum is going to have boxing again. I live close by. I think Ruslan stops Algieri rather easy. Chris has a jab and conditioning . I don't think he has any power to check the Russian maniac. I will def be going there as long as I can get there from Gleason's in time. Good for hbo and top rank for taking a risk with the coliseum . I expect seanie Monaghan from long beach to be on the card. Joe smith Jr. should make his way on this card as well. I hope New Yorkers support this card . The lirr should provide shuttle service from garden city and mineola train stations if possible.

Skibbz says:

Can't wait. Fair play to Chris but it's not going to be his night. Seen him fight a few times and he doesn't stand out although he's in good shape. Artie tells me he was a world champ kickboxer too? But none of that will matter once Provodnikov greets him with a fist full of knuckles.

This is a good fight for Ruslan, not the toughest of opponents by any stretch and he deserves an easier night after the last two wars he was in but still someone hungry and determined to win. The Mansi Mauler won't be taking him lightly by any stretch and if anything will want to put on another notable performance, as in 2014 I'm sure his name will start cropping up places in the average joe's boxing sphere a great deal more.

This fight is just a minor stepping stone for the Siberian Rocky, his next major defence should be toward the end of the year potentially on the bill of fellow Wild Card fighter and good friend Manny Pacqiuao.

Can't wait for the fight, hope it's a sell out, blockbuster and another FOTY for the world champ!!!

mortcola says:

Well, as Huntington boy who did not think much of Chris at first and then watched him grow into a VERY crafty boxer, watching numerous sparring sessions too against some of the best (including Brandon Rios and his west coast beasts), I think you may be underselling him by referring to the Algieri of a year and half ago. He has grown greatly, punches sharply and with great accuracy if not nuclear power, and, yes, is in phenomenal shape. One of his strengths is figuring out the limitations of opponents and sticking to his game plan. He has a good shot at keeping Ruslan winging and off-balance lots of the fight and counter-punching his way to a decision or stoppage due to cuts or swelling. And I will have the privilege of watching lots of his preparation and maybe sparring some rounds too. I'll weigh as it comes nearer.

Skibbz says:

That's great to hear, yes I must admit I've only seen 6 Algieri contests, but the last one was against E Taylor and to me he didn't look like a finished product. If you put Ruslan in the shoes of Taylor in that fight, the way Chris backed off in awkward (not used positively) angles with his head straight up behind his guard would have him being caught hard by some Siberian sledgehammer shots. However he did have a good stance in my opinion when he boxed, and he steps in nicely behind a jab. His height and reach could be an issue but that's nothing the Mansi Mauler hasn't faced many times before.

Ruslan doesn't do well with guys who know how to box effectively behind a jab, or guys who decide to stick n move all night (that said he's lost 2 fights, one to the better boxer Herrera who still took more than his fair share of a hiding). That being said almost all the guys who have formed that type of game plan have felt his power sometime during the bout, and or have been down because of it.

It's important to remember that as soon as that bell rings, Ruslan will be in your face and throwing his shots, many looping, and all with some real badness behind them. How does Algieri hold up against venomous shots? You can jab jab jab all you like but it's also worth noting that Ruslan has been sparring very often against one of the best southpaws in the game today and he has a solid amateur background to boot so he's not unable to cope with boxers.

I'll rewatch the Algieri Taylor fight, and any other fight you would recommend me watch so I can have a better picture of the Huntington fighter. I think it's also important for me to let you know that i'm a massive Provodnikov fan, he's my favourite boxer who's currently fighting... I can be a tad bit biased but If I am I will be obviously so.

EDIT: Looking forward to hearing how he's doing in prep for the fight, lucky you who can go watch the fight in Long Island!

Carmine Cas says:

This is a good fight fight for Chris if he can keep Ruslan at bay and evade his punches he's got a chance.

Skibbz does bring up a good point in that Algieri did move straight back with a high guard, Ruslan would break through that.

But Ruslan is hittable and his chin is not granite either, as we saw in the Bradley fight he was buzzed a couple of times, so if Chris can pick his shot correctly maybe he can get to him, or at least gain his respect.

This is a big fight, and being from the Island as well I am excited!

I'm glad for the NY guys getting a title fight to go see. Here in Chicago we get very few and far between good title fights. Last I can remember was Adamek-Paul Briggs for 175 belt and Monte Barett vs Nicolai Valuev. The first fight was good and a good crowd. We got alot of Poles here and they were going nuts for their boy.
I've seen Algieri on ESPN a few times and I don't think he is ready for this, but you never know. Ruslan could be looking past him, Its not a big fight for him and the home crowd could spur a great performance from Chris. I'll watch and see.

admin says:

Good idear on the shuttle. ---EM

Skibbz says:

This is a big fight, and being from the Island as well I am excited!

Ruslan is certainly hittable, but he has very good lateral movement and he's improving fight after fight but his tendency to revert back to his characteristic style is what can be both his downfall and maker. It depends on who the person in front of him is is and what they're made of. You can come in great shape, but once you take the first step back the Mansi Mauler will be coming two steps forward under a barrage of looping rights and vicious left hooks. I'm always left shouting at my screen "THE BODY, RUSLAN THE BODY!!!!!" but Ruslan never hears me.. The odd time that he catches on, the body shot is the one that sends them crumbling before the head snatcher sends them tumbling.

The Good Doctor says:

You must have been shouting at him during the Alvarado fight. He started off to the head like you said but around the 4th or 5th he started hitting Mile High Mike in the ribs and it sounded like a bass drum. By the time round 8 arrived he had starched Mike so bad, that Mike's punches had no steam on them and he could barely breathe. A couple rounds later it was curtains.

Skibbz says:

You know it Doc.. I thought Ruslan won the 4th, but I gave 5 and 6 to Alvarado. It was toward the end of the 6th, if I remember rightly, that Provo finally went downstairs with real menace and hurt Mike. Mike didn't win a round after that and ended up quitting as we all know shortly after. Just for the sake of argument, I had Provodnikov down 4-2 by the end of the 6th.. Just goes to prove how important it is to go to the body, especially if you can crack.

Carmine Cas says:

Algieri would be best served to go downstairs early

Skibbz says:

Just finished watching Algieri vs Alejo and I trust Provodnikov will have him out of there within 4. Algieri started off well.... But he didn't keep it up for a full round. He looks flashy with his combinations but his defence is wrong in my opinion. Also he retreats very uncomfortably and awkwardly when he's hit... He turns his body sideways for some reason...

Most importantly, he certainly gets caught and buzzed a lot. In this fight he had all the advantages, and although he won there were many occasions were a seasoned and well schooled fighter would have taken care of him. Provodnikov will be the man to show him his first loss.

mortcola says:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be an irrational hometown fan and disparage all your analysis on the basis of it's contradicting what I wish to believe.

The Commish says:

I know very few of you give Chris Algieri any kind of chance against Ruslan Provodnikov, short of bringing an AK-47 into the ring. So, I guess I stand on a very small ledge when I tell you I think is another Paulie Malignaggi and will give Provodnikov a thorough boxing lesson and capture a unanimous decision.

Algieri's hand and foot speed will be too much for ZProvodnikov to handle throughout the contest. Plus, Algieri is tireless. He, like Leo Santa Cruz, is capable of throwing upwards of 100 punches per round without so much as breathing hard. Nor will he ever stand there and engage with Provodnikov. He will make Ruslan pursue him throughout the contest.

Provodnikov is not unbeatable and certainly not unhittable.

The feeling from this corner is that he will be hit. Often. And on June 4, he will be beaten.

Oh, is anybody from the NY/NJ/CT area going to be at the Nassau Coliseum on Tuesday for the official press conference? I will be there, covering for my SiriusXM show, along with my co-host, Gerry Cooney. If you are too young to remember what Cooneylooks like, just look for the tallest guy in the room. That's Cooney. I'm the shot guy next to him!

-Randy G.

Carmine Cas says:

Provodnikov is not unbeatable and certainly not unhittable.

-Randy G.

Nice analysis Comish!

There's a chance I might be there Tuesday, I will find out Monday!

Skibbz says:

Provodnikov is not unbeatable and certainly not unhittable.

-Randy G.

I don't deny his boxing ability, hand or foot speed, nor his physical conditioning that allows him to throw an average of 100 or so punches a round. It indeed is a pleasure to witness such a great athlete in tip top shape. However his problem is his defence. In several fights of his I have watched his defence is lacking. I don't know him well enough to say what the cause of it is, but in my opinion he is faulty in that department and that's where Provodnikov will be knocking.

In the footage i've watched, i've seen him fight guys with similar builds and those with shorter stockier frames. Provodnikov is more of the latter, and against those guys Chris still manages to get whacked and buzzed. You guys may question Provodnikov's chin (although I think it's made of serious stuff) but no matter what he takes his iron resolve and rugged determination keeps him in front of his opponent, a will that bends even the toughest of men.

If you've watched enough Provodnikov, you'll know he's incredibly gifted at getting his foot in the door. He knows the split second that you leave the door slighlty ajar and he's in there quicker than a fox. He brings with him inside 4-6 rapid short bangers and quickly unsettles his opponent. He won't let up. He's not as one dimensional as people believe.. He has good amateur experience (160ish fights) and is taking his boxing seriously.

Algieri isn't the man for this job, sack him before the Mansi Mauler does!

mortcola says:

Provodnikov is not unbeatable and certainly not unhittable.

-Randy G.

Hey Commish. You know I have been ringside for most of Chris’ fights in the last few years. We both know he has more tricks up his sleeve, plus a superior intellect, than most prospects trying to brake the top ten. I believe, knowing how well Chris analyzes fighters, that Provo’s predictable attack will have a damn hard time delivering its payload based on what Algieri will have figured out by fight time. No easy prediction to make, Provo is like a little Marciano, but I know, from the same angles, exactly what you’re talking about. And Chris hits harder than Paulie, whom I happen to like a lot. Just saying there’s a good chance of the theatre of the unexpected delivering big time on fight night. And its not just because I’m a Huntington boy, no matter what attempt at humor I made above

mortcola says:

PS - Cooney is tall. But you’re far from shot, aerobicizing Syosset housewives at 5AM....

The difference of opinion is making this fight alot more interesting.

Skibbz says:

Can I just add that Ruslan has fought professional fighters with Masters degrees (your intelligent men), guys in incredible shape, guys who can punch, guys who are slick and guys who can play a trick. The challenger will have to take it to the champ, but the champ is no simple slice..

Ruslan will be there, it's up to Algieri to meet him and challenge him for his belt. It's a long lonely way back to Siberia and I shouldn't think Ruslan would want to fly without his belt. This is going to be a war, another Ruslan street fight.

PS I wish I could come over to the states to watch Ruslan defend his belt for the first time, hope all you guys that attend have a great time whatever the result!