Cotto and Martinez Face Off!

BY The Sweet Science ON March 10, 2014

Cotto Martinez PR pc 140310 001a e5f90

March 10, 2014, Hato Rey, Puerto Rico ---(L-R) Three-time world champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and WBC world middleweight champion Sergio Martinez from Argentina pose during a press conference to kickoff their national media tour. Cotto and Martínez will be talking about their eagerly-anticipated World Middleweight Championship collision which will take place on Saturday, June 7, at the “Mecca of Boxing,” Madison Square Garden. Both fighters will continue their media tour to New York on Tuesday and then to Los Angeles.

Promoted by Miguel Cotto Promotions, Top Rank®, DiBella Entertainment and Sampson Boxing, in association with Maravilla Box, Tecate and Madison Square Garden, the Cotto - Martínez World Middleweight Championship event will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®, beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT. Tickets to the Cotto vs. Martínez world middleweight championship event go on sale Wednesday, March 12, at Noon ET / 9:00 A.M. PT. Priced at $750, $500, $300, $200, $100 and $50, tickets can be purchased at the Madison Square Garden Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster charge by phone (866-858-0008), and online at www.ticketmaster.com and www.thegarden.com.

--- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

Matinez will break him!!!

Cotto by a mile. Martinez has been fading for a while. Cotto is going to knock off his smirk and smile. Martinez will vomit quite a bit of bile. Holla!

Noway Rg, look at the body language. Sergio looking down purposely at Cotto, Cotto thinking, what did i get into.

Sergio is pissed off. Dude is an athlete and will rebound nicely.

Sergio by stoppage.

I'm going with MC kayoing SM by a liver shot in about nine. I'll win a gold mine. SM is faking. He's not going to be able to handle MC's shaking and baking. A lot of punishment, SM is gonna be taking. A whole lot of moolah, I expect to be making. Holla!

Sergio will be bouncing straight lefts off of cottos head for 7 rounds then the stoppage my friend.

Sergio will know to take away Cottos left hook and its sharp shooting all night.

Cotto got embarrassed by Trout who doesnt hit as hard as me.

deepwater2 says:

It's hard for me to pick against cotto in this one. Sergio looks to be the bigger man with an awkward style. The solution to his style is pressure and body punching which cotto can do. I would think delvin Rodriguez is same size as Sergio even though he isn't as good. Martinez is about 40 and has had a long run. Torn meniscus is huge deal for lateral movement which is the key to his style. Also Chavez jr had him in the dark room and Martin Murray beat him up in front of a soccer stadium at his home-coming . Cotto at MSG is a spectacle . The fans scream for every move he makes. Also Sergio is getting angry about something silly that cotto didn't shake his hand or something while cotto just dismisses the whole thing as it doesn't matter. Sergio is also a strange guy. He heads some anti bullying ad campaign ,brings a young bully victim to the fight. Then Sergio goes on a violent rant and says he is gonna crush Chavez jr's bones and such. I favor cotto in this one.

Exactly Deep, that is the mind of a fighter. Anyone who gets in there and punched for fun/living there is something wrong with. And Sergio is no exception. Sure he does great things outside the ring especially for kids. However, Cotto is an adult and a peer sportsman as Sergio views his peers with respect, Cotto doesnt. Sergio attempted to approach Cotto and Cotto brushed him off, kinda embarrassing.

Long story short. I was prob 26 dating a girl for a month, ran into one of her good "guy" friends at a bar. She introduced us and I attempted to shake his hand, he looked me up and down and stood there. I brushed it off for a bit while my girl was around, when she dipped out to get a drink I told the dude looking him straight in his eyes that if I wasn't trying to make a good impression I would have knocked his f*****g teeth out and if he is still a tough guy we could head outside by ourselves and handle it quickly... He snuck out of the bar at some point when no one was around and bailed .. haha

I was disrespected because a man doesn't treat another man like that.

Sergio is 40 and that may be the motivation he needs after a rough few years

Hmmm. I'll wait to make my pick. Maybe flip a coin. My Dad always said, "study long, study wrong."

Grimm says:

Sergio looking down purposely at Cotto, Cotto thinking, what did i get into..

Not with them hands in the pocket - looks more like an unemployed construction worker waiting for wellfare.

Sergio will take the first rounds on movement, and then...well, I think Cotto will catch up and break down. Sergio will fold and fall.

Skibbz says:

martinez isn't a stranger to the canvas but what's the important is he never stays down long enough to get acquainted. Early on cotto will manage to get inside and could give martinez a free trip back down to the canvas but that'll only serve martinez a renewed vigour to come back and outbox and beat cotto. Cotto will be stunned and lose himself in the moment. He's had dreams of avarice ever since canelo dangled a big cheque in front of his eyes and that's where his mind is gonna be on the night of the fight! He's got another 'PR' fighter making moves in PR and in his head he can see that his time is coming to pass.. We could see a clash of heads courtesy of maravilla and it'll open up cotto's left eye. And still...

Great comments... There is a focus on Martini's injuries which is a very valid point... But Cotto is no spring chicken himself. Cotto is tough but which Cotto will we see?
The one who surrendered to Paq and bowed down to Margarito on bended knee? or the one who fought bravely through adversity against Clottey.