"Countdown To 'The One' Mayweather vs. Canelo" To Run on Fox Channels

BY The Sweet Science ON August 29, 2013

LOS ANGELES (August 29, 2013) - Just when you think you've seen it all from Eight-Time, Five-Division World ChampionFloyd "Money" Mayweather, he reinvents himself once again as the "Half a Billion Dollar Man" as he hosts his very own behind-the-scenes segment from the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas. Mayweather, who breaks down his own success frame-by-frame and punch-by-punch, gives fans his own take on his unprecedented and successful career is all featured in "Countdown To "THE ONE: Mayweather vs. Canelo."

Tune in to any of the FOX Sports Network channels (FOX Sports, FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Deportes) beginningtomorrow night (check your local listings) for a look at the personalities of Mayweather and his opponent WBC, WBA and Ring Magazine Super Welterweight WorldCanelo Alvarezas they prepare for theirSaturday, September 14mega-fight taking place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas live on SHOWTIME PPV® (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT).

The countdown show, brought to life by Producer and Creative Director of Golden Boy Promotions and founder of Leigh Simons Productions Leigh Simons, follows Canelo up the mountain to his training camp in Big Bear Lake, California as he prepares for the fight of his life. The unique look at Canelo's personality brings his power to life with graphics and commentary.

"This is must watch television because it unveils(the)never-ending and evolving persona of Floyd Mayweather and showcases Canelo Alvarez, who truly comes out of his shell with his own super hero personality to personify what he believes is his(single)greatest asset(to shock the world andwin this particular fight)- his(knockout)power," said Simons who has worked with Golden Boy Promotions since the company's first pay-per-view fight over a decade ago.

The hour-long show includes commentary from team members, promoters and scribes as well as unique graphics and action-packed footage.

Please see select preview clips from the "Countdown to 'THE ONE: Mayweather vs. Canelo":

Breaking news! Floyd Money Mayweather unveils his "Half a B" persona with never before seen commentary and graphics.

"Half a B" video

Floyd Mayweather exclusive video as he prepares for "THE ONE."

Mayweather Preparation

Take a trip to Big Bear Lake to see Canelo Alvarez and his team as they prepare for the Sept. 14 bout.

Canelo at Big Bear

"THE ONE: MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO," a 12-round fight for Canelo's WBC, WBA and Ring Magazine Super Welterweight World Championships and Mayweather's WBA Super Welterweight Super World Championship taking place Saturday, Sept. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, is promoted by Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions and Canelo Promotions and sponsored by Corona, O'Reilly Auto Parts, AT&T, Valvoline, Mexico Tourism, Fred Loya Insurance and Nature Nutrition. In the 12-round cofeatured attraction, WBC, WBA Super and Ring Magazine Super Lightweight World Champion Danny Garcia and thunderous puncher WBC Interim Super Lightweight World Champion Lucas Matthysse square off in a fight presented in association with Swift Promotions and Arano Box Promotions. Also, Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina square off in a 12-round battle for Smith's IBF Junior Middleweight World Title which is promoted in association with Warriors Boxing. The opening bout on SHOWTIME PPV features a 10-round welterweight showdown between Pablo Cesar Cano and Ashley Theophane. The mega-event will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME PPV® beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT. The event can be heard in Spanish using secondary audio programming (SAP).

Less than 24 hours after going on sale on June 25, the event was sold out, but six MGM Resorts properties will host live closed circuit telecasts of "THE ONE." Properties showcasing the event include ARIA, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, The Mirage, Monte Carlo and New York-New York. General admission tickets for the closed circuit telecasts are priced at $100, not including handling fees, and are available for purchase at each individual property's box office outlets and also are available for purchase by phone with a major credit card at 866-799-7711. Closed circuit ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. Tickets also are available through Ticketmaster by calling (800) 745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. "THE ONE" will also be broadcast on nearly 550 select movie theaters across the country. Tickets are available at participating theater box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com.

The Shadow says:

I'm intrigued! Show looks nice!

Nothing makes a middle class person who is barely getting by as we complain about gas prices near 4$ a gallon, groceries being the most expensive in the history of the world and barely making ends meet, want to spend our hard earned money then a guy now calling himself "the half a billion dollar man". you got me, now i cant wait to spend 70$ to watch floyd pot shot and coast his way to another decision while boring me with no excitement....now i really want to give floyd more money, especially during this difficult time in America.

half a billion dollar man huh.

really

and cbs and showtime and gbp all think this is a good idea wow

there is no wife alive who is gonna watch this with her husband and be in the middle class who is gonna be a go for buying this fight now.

floyds last fight already bombed with the ghost and had the most complaints yet, hence why he had to make the canelo fight to get enough ppv's.

this is not a good idea for a promotion...

floyds personality is not entertaining either, he isnt funny....

his schtick should be that he is a perfectionist and his commitment of training at the highest level. people like to see how the best become and stay the best at something. no one wants to tune in to see what a condescending ane egotistical jerk they are giving their money to.

The Shadow says:

floyds personality is not entertaining either, he isnt funny....

You're right. I never found him to be particularly entertaining, funny, charming, witty or even smart. But he's not as bad a person as people make him out to be, either. Compared to someone Ali, he has no entertainment value at all.

What I found intriguing was the different type of promo show with a more light presentation rather than the serious approach with 24/7 and All Access that's been beaten to death over the past six years. That format is played out, IMO.

I also really liked the breakdown on HOW he beats people. I'd like to see him explain his thinking in the ring, how he sets traps and how he takes weapons away. It would be entertaining, insightful and would educate the audience to his in-ring genius. And I got a little of that from the preview. I'm intrigued.

SouthPaul says:

I feel what you're saying, Amayseng. There's a good Chuck D interview floating around the net where he too expresses his dislike of people flaunting their riches in that sort of way. Very critical he is of that obnoxious behavior.

All Access should really be titled Partial Access or maybe even Repetitive Access.

The Shadow says:

Did anyone catch the new show?

Terrible show! Same old "NEW" crap. Money May needs an in-front-of-the-camera coach/trainer. Money May's boxing flows, but his show acting blows -- or is that sucks? WHATEVER! He is still gettin' da BIG BUCKS. But these Money May-Canelo shows of Showtime, Fox and ESPN are terrible.

Money May is taking Showtime to the cleaner. It's budget is gonna be gettin' leaner. Hehehe! Or maybe they have money to burn. Away from their bulljive programs, the public that Showtime needs is being to turn. I'm just calling a spade a spade. And nobody can hide in da shape. HBO, BobFather, Da Manny and company are taking names and whuppin' da arses of Showtime, GBP, and the TMT.

Travel to China and BUY GOLD! Maybe Deepwater is busy buying gold. Holla back, Deepwater. It's been a while. Holla!

brownbomber says:

@amyseng

Big dawg I think you take floyd to seriously g. Boxing is WWF now, where characters have to be "Created." The Black man in America in sports is usually personalized many times as the bad guy. Floyd just embraces it. He is a marketing genius. Radam has also shed light about how imperialism has affected the phillipines, I studied that in college, and how stereotypes by the U.S. government have been perpetuated. If we truly understand "race" and how it is used in sports, we will understand it better.

dont mistake my intensity for anger or jealousy.

The Lord said be humble in your accomplishments.....

Floyd may have a full bank account but as a human being he is lacking.

good for floyd and his prosperity, however there are children and families suffering in poverty

and it is quite disrespectful for him to act the way he does flaunting all he has.....

if you cant see that then i feel sorry for ya

brownbomber says:

@amyseng

No g ur taking it too seriously. Boxing is similar to "wrestling" where people have to market themselves. I know people that know floyd, it's all for attention and marketing purposes, he is not really like that. Floyd didn't transform until the Gatti fight in to being the heel. Please understand that there is a business side to this. It's sad that Floyd couldn't be the Floyd from the 1996 Olympics and had to play a part.

oh i get the hype and the business.

floyd could market himself as being perfect....a perfectionist is intriguing.

what it takes to be the best, stay the best.

how hard he works, how he trains, diet, nutrition and that stuff...

im intrigued by his ring iq, boxing iq, drive to stay the best at what he does and to truly master his craft...

he is marketing himself in an embarrassing way..

"half a billion dollar man"

spare me

brownbomber says:

@amyseng

He's marketing himself as the heel. What is wrong with that

I see your point, A-Seng! But I will have to ride shotgun with the brownbomber on this one. No way in heck that Money May market himself the way that you say. [Clean and BLACK? You better get BACK! BIG MONEY dat BEEP-BEEP will LACK!] There is BIG RACE stereotyping and expectations in the seedy sport of boxing. The Money May tude before 1996 could not make a mil for him nowadays, especially in that weight class.

The boxing powers that be demand for Money May to be a heel. Or down from making BIG MONEY, he must and will KNEEL. The ghost of "Unforgivable Blackness" is all up in Money May's aura right up to the wearing of his bald head. Hair on Money May's head would've taken an estimated $10-to -15mil away from him in every bout after he got outta da slammer. So Money May let the after-jail bush on da cranium become a "LUV TKO!" He LET it GO! He LET it GO! Dude is such a BIG-money HO! Hahaha! Red HAIR on Canelo's cranium is estimated to increase profits by 100mil. No syet! I lie to you NOT! All type of syet is in this BIG MONEY POT!

Money May has MONEY-for-the-making image consulations all up in his grill. They are all there to heighten his moola hill. Make dat moolah spill!

C'mon. A-Seng! You are dealing with BIG BUSINESS -- the corrupted, seedy BIG BUSINESS of boxing. Everything angle is being consulted to get da BIG-PAY BACK. And even using hatred, prejudices and race, the CHING-CHING crew will not SLACK.

Yall know me. I'm down with O-P-P! And calling a spade a spade, and not hiding in the shade. Hehe! Holla!

brownbomber says:

@radam

Thanks big dawg, I appreciate.

The Shadow says:

Yeah, he really sucks in front of a camera. And so does his grammar. His appeal is overblown. He's just managed to capture an audience that traditionally never buys -- and that's what I estimate is the main reason his numbers are so high.

The latinos love a good fight and will always buy. And as long as there are latinos in the US, boxing will never die. BELEE DAT!

brownbomber says:

Mayweather is a master marketer

@amyseng

He's marketing himself as the heel. What is wrong with that

I understand how it works.

I just don't understand why.

Well I do, because there are so many

suckers out there that buy into it.

Me, I'm not racist, or discriminate.

I don't need a good vs bad guy

I just like a good fight.

The Shadow says:

I understand how it works.

I just don't understand why.

Well I do, because there are so many

suckers out there that buy into it.

Me, I'm not racist, or discriminate.

I don't need a good vs bad guy

I just like a good fight.

Well boxing doesn't sell fights. Conflicts do. Fights do. You're in the sane minority.

I'd love to see what happened if Rigo was able to really get the viewing audience emotionally involved. With the Cuban link, it should be possible to put some sort of spin on it, say he's Fidel's mercenary sent forth to wipe out every nationality to show the supremacy of Cuba! Maybe did a salsa over his fallen opponents.

I bet people would tune in to see him get his head torn off.

Floyd is certainly not perfect. ...... I've never met a perfect fighter, And I certainly never met a fighter I can blame the present state of the American economy. problems with the economy have been passed along from one administration to the next for the last dozen or so presidential elections. In combination with the general malaise and overconfidence of it's citizens. Getting back to boxing : Floyd has fermented his persona smoothly and transitioned his public persona beautifully. Being at home in front of the camera in any situation, on any stage and on platform is a daunting achievement for anybody.. even professional speakers. (I know because I speak infront of people at the weekly poetry slam and it's not easy) and While Floyd has had many years to practice his dogma he does it better than any boxer in existence today. ... he's probably the most filmed and interviewed boxer since Muhamad Ali. I know his conversation is nowhere near as substanative as Ali's... but for todays micro-wave popcorn generation consisting of mainly instant gratification freaks.... it works just fine. ******************************************************************* I did get a chance to watch the show today, but I taped the wrong version... the show I taped was in Spanish and my dual lingual son was no where around to interpret the footage. But it still looked like fun and for a me it's just the right amount of 30 min hype I need to get by as this colossal fight looms closer and closer.

brownbomber says:

@radam

Hahahaha do you really believe canelo sent sparring partners home hurt??? Lmao please tell me u have inside info...I just saw episode 2 all access, thx

Well! Canelo did send this 52-year-old professional sparring chump home. You probably know him. This punching bag with eyeballs has been getting sent home since the days of Roberto Duran. He was sparring Duran at Palms Spring when I was still up in my moms' belly gettin' on my kicks. Hehehe! Holla!

brownbomber says:

@Radam
Hahaha I think big money O stretches on a lot of things

All the time. Big Money O knows how to put it on BIG for an extra buck. Dude is the smut muck-a-muck. And I ain't his luck. Holla!

brownbomber says:

@radam

HAHAHAHAHA it's gotten to the point where I don't believe a damn thing anyone in this promotion is saying. Do you give big money o more credit for creating Floyd's recent persona or floyd?

Straight up credit goes to Big Money O. He and Money May are laughing all the way to the banko. To a sucka a minute, BMO and MM have made into a believing bozo. Not a single chance, do even they give Canelo. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

We talk, Floyd gets paid. Chaaaaaaaa-Ching!

And let's not totally excuse Floyd. Besides being masterful with his WWE script...he also really is an obnoxious unfunny brat.

i ain't mad at Floyd, it isn't his fault there are so many ignorant, impressionable and weak minded people out there.

but, that doesn't mean I have to stomach it or enjoy it. I don't. He is annoying and unfunny, but to his

credit it works and sells.

I enjoy his craft in the ring and I am glad to see him fix the relationship with his dad. we only have our

parents for so long, and some of us don't even have parents from the beginning. Life is short, I would

never have spoken to my dad the way Floyd did his, let alone in front of the world, but that is for him to

live with. like i said , nice to see them patch things up.

However , like i mentioned before, the whole "half a billion dollar man" stint is idiotic, unintelligent and

disrespectful.

I am lucky to be in the middle class and i worked hard through college while raising a kid alone to do it.

Not all of us are riding like Radam from one mansion to the next ha(radam still waiting for a job btw)

but i do work in the medical field and i have met wonderful people and families who have lost all they have

due to the financial restraints of a terminal illness... these are honest hard working people and families

losing everything, selling cars, spending savings and college funds to medical supplies, treatments and care

due to cancers and chronic progressive illnesses.....there are also families not lucky or blessed that live in

poverty and kids starving to death, so for anyone to flaunt being rich, near billionaire or millionaires while

people struggle to even survive it shows you are a classless person...

The Shadow says:

Exactly, even guys like Rafael from ESPN actually believe these two don't like each other. It's just storylines, those two are indeed laughing to the bank, cashing out on Showtime and Money.

I wonder how close they will be once Money stops fighting. I strongly doubt he will have any kind of impact after. Money has till 2015 to build his promotional company. After that, Oscar and Swizz Bankz will be busy with their own league like the WWE or UFC. No room for Money if he doesn't bring in the money.

I hear you Amayseng... ...if Floyd has got you that ticked off, then he's doing his job... Of course the gratuitous display of weath is repugnant to most people who don't have two single dollar bills to rub together... but bringing starving babies and dying cancer patients into the discussion is taking the topic way out of context. Floyd isn't trying to win the Nobel peace prize, any more than the NFL or any earnstwhile entertainer is... I wonder how much money Miley Cirus's Twerking Perfomance at the MTV awards show has raised for World Hunger? And if we're about generosity, Floyd has already in one year donated more money to the Homeless than the combined Roster of everyone logged into this websit (correct me if I'm wrong secret donators). Floyd is promoting a fight... In fact he's carrying the promotion single handedly. Personally I appreciate the creativity and initiative Mayweather has taken to produce these absurd and outrageous tidbits of hype... regardless of who disapproves. Floyd will only be around for a couple of years at most... then the next big thing will take center stage and Floyd will fade away like all the other legends do and become a subject for the historians to ponder. fighters like GGG will still be here providing the brutally proficient exhibitions that fight fans crave while presenting the polite-to-a-fault demeanor for those who appreciate humble approach. On a different note; I wondered how Mayweather would promote this fight and finally the nastiness and odious behavior that has been associated with Floyds past promotions is rising to the surface( the Carrot Top, and Chucky references have been creeping in) . The closer Floyd gets to a fight, the nastier he gets.. No matter how potentially good the opponent may be. Seems to me that some boxers have to program a sense of animosity against their toughest opponents to get psychologically and emotionally prepared. Floyd not being the exception. Love it, Hate it,.. do whatever you want.... But it's going down... and it's going down in a major way September 14. I'm expecting a classic war of wills in a sensationally competitive contest.

The Shadow says:

I hear you Amayseng... ...if Floyd has got you that ticked off, then he's doing his job... Of course the gratuitous display of weath is repugnant to most people who don't have two single dollar bills to rub together... but bringing starving babies and dying cancer patients into the discussion is taking the topic way out of context. Floyd isn't trying to win the Nobel peace prize, any more than the NFL or any earnstwhile entertainer is... I wonder how much money Miley Cirus's Twerking Perfomance at the MTV awards show has raised for World Hunger? And if we're about generosity, Floyd has already in one year donated more money to the Homeless than the combined Roster of everyone logged into this websit (correct me if I'm wrong secret donators). Floyd is promoting a fight... In fact he's carrying the promotion single handedly. Personally I appreciate the creativity and initiative Mayweather has taken to produce these absurd and outrageous tidbits of hype... regardless of who disapproves. Floyd will only be around for a couple of years at most... then the next big thing will take center stage and Floyd will fade away like all the other legends do and become a subject for the historians to ponder. fighters like GGG will still be here providing the brutally proficient exhibitions that fight fans crave while presenting the polite-to-a-fault demeanor for those who appreciate the humble approach. On a different note; I wondered how Mayweather would promote this fight and finally the nastiness and odious behavior that has been associated with Floyds past promotions is rising to the surface( the Carrot Top, and Chucky references have been creeping in) . The closer Floyd gets to a fight, the nastier he gets.. No matter how potentially good the opponent may be. Seems to me that some boxers have to program a sense of animosity against their toughest opponents to get psychologically and emotionally prepared. Floyd not being the exception. Love it, Hate it,.. do whatever you want.... But it's going down... and it's going down in a major way September 14. I'm expecting a classic war of wills in a sensationally competitive contest.

In my experience, the more you have to sacrifice, the more you want to take it out on your opponent. But beef stays in the ring. There's something odd and, paradoxically, very charming about that.

I've boxed guys I really did not like. But once it was over, there was this strange connection between us. I don't know what it is...perhas more seasoned fighters in here can shed light on that.

Even Froch and Kessler, who like and respect each other, get very intense right before fight night. It's all the emotions, I suppose. Kessler himself said, "once we get close to the fight, I'm going to HATE this guy." I suppose it's the intensity and knowing the moment of truth and war is upon you.

Even the always jovial and childlike Ali could be mean right before a fight. Tyson especially. Watch him mouth before fights "I'm gonna kill this motherf*cker!" And then go kiss him after.

I hear ya loud and clear, Miley is a classless human being, quite disturbing really..

see its all a set up, how they gave a 20 year old girl with a boys body the "sexiest woman in the world" award

was baffling at first, then you have the fake arranged marriage and engagement which is postponed so she

could come out with the horrible non sexy, stupid sticking her tongue out vma performance...money making

schemes are now a thing of today. impressionable young kids blowing money is a standard.

i truly get it B-sug, and even with all floyd has given and helped there are still people and kids suffering, until

they are all cared for then he continues to look like a douche bag calling himself the half billion dollar man.

its part of the human emotion for most to get some sort of animosity towards your opponent. the closer

a fight gets the less happy, at peace you are.

i was the same way with basketball, baseball and football. there was an intensity and drive there. hell i got

that way with sparring new guys i never met. its just an emotional mindset.

i am expecting a boring and non confrontational win for floyd.

if floyd didnt engage with the less dangerous ghost, no way he gets near canelo and his firepower

brownbomber says:

@radam

If floyd masterfully wins this fight, could this be his last or second to last?

No! Money May will fight as long as pug uglies step up for their @$$ beating and halfwit haters keep paying their hard-earn money brainwashed that "this is the opponent that has the best chance to beat Money May."

Money May will be 50-years old and bragging about being the two-billion-dollar man. "$eventy has tried, and $eventy has failed," he will be shouting. Holla!

Interesting post Shadow.

Makes sense to me.

Good and great boxers have at least two personalities -- one (killer instinct before the fight and inside that squared jungle) and one (nice-guy instinct after the bout and ouside the ring). Doctors call it "born that way." And it will get you some pay. The ones with 24/7/365 rotten tudes are quickly exposted. Holla!

Canelo's only chance in this fight is to hurt Floyd early. The body would be a good place to start. If Floyd can control distance and space its an easy UD.

Latest Articles

frankiegomezisnowqthepatientpitbullq
sancheznobodyat160canstandthepowerofgennadyq
fightnetworkwillshowfuryustinov
yogolovkinmiddleweightchampbreakstrainingforstagedebut
isgolovkinaspecialfighterorjustaspecialpuncher
mayweathermaidanarematchtorunonboxnation
patrickhylandandcharlesmartinwinondibellacard
reportfromgolovkingealepresseratmadisonsquaregarden
robertogarciabreidisprescotttopsfnf
arumgoesallinonalgieri

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?