New York City, New York – February 27, 2013 –The leading national colorectal cancer advocacy organization has made considerable strides to increase awareness of colorectal cancer – cancer of the colon or rectum – the second-leading cause of cancer-related deaths within the country. Now, Fight Colorectal Cancer has Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin stepping into the ring to fight cancer for the kick-off of the national campaign ‘One Miillion Strong’ at one of the most instantly recognizable locations in the world: the NASDAQ MarketSite in Times Square, New York City.
As the Headliner for the “I Am Strong” Strong Arm Pose, Champ Kid Chocolate will be taking pictures with a crowd of colorectal cancer survivors (flexing their muscles) to showing their strength and commitment to raising awareness about this preventable cancer. The best picture of the day will be posted on a NASDAQ board at the end of the day on March 1st2013.
Quote from WBO Middleweight Champion Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin:
"Having just lost my best friends' father to a rare form of cancer a little over a week ago, it is an honor to join the fight against cancer and be able to use my boxing platform to save lives. I'm no stranger to a good fight, let's knockout colorectal cancer".
WHERE: TIMES SQUARE (at the NASDAQ MarketSite Tower, located on 43rd Street and spanning the entire block of Broadway through 44th Street)
WHEN: Friday, March 1, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.*Media are encouraged to attend at 9:00 am for the opening ceremony and at 3:30 pm for interviews followed by the 4:00 pm closing ceremony. The day’s events include:
· A ceremony and tweet up in Times Square to celebrate the official debut of a new Public Service Announcement, playing on NASDAQ towers 1 and 2 from March 1st to 7th.
· Distribution of educational information about colon health and collection of pledges to join One Million Strong on iPads; distribution of 25,000 blue star tattoos to show support.
· Free dance party hosted by fitness guru, James Darling at 1:00 pm | Yoga classes promoting a healthy lifestyle (care of Lulu Lemon) throughout the day.
· Interactive photo opportunities: taking pictures of people (flexing their muscles) with a WBO Middleweight Boxing Champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin showing their strength and commitment to raising awareness about CRC by flexing their muscles. The best picture of the day will be posted on a NASDAQ board at the end of the day on March 1st 2013.
· The Prevent Cancer Super Colon, an 8-foot tall, 20-foot long model colon that lets you see for yourself the difference between healthy and diseased tissue. See why when detected early, this cancer is preventable, treatable and beatable.
· Survivors will be on hand to share their inspirational stories and will be available to speak with the media. Volunteer advocates wearing blue One Million Strong gear (the color for colorectal cancer) on the ground.
WHY: March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Inspired by the over one million colorectal cancer survivors in the United States, Fight Colorectal Cancer has launched One Million Strong to raise awareness about colorectal cancer and create action that will lead to better prevention, diagnosis, patient care and treatments.
Current celebrity partners that are featured in the campaign:
One Million Strong Campaign Website: www.CRCMillionStrong.org
Fight Colorectal Cancer is the leading national colorectal cancer advocacy organization, empowering advocates, pushing for better policies, and supporting cutting edge and innovative research for colorectal cancer screening and treatment. For more information visit www.FightColorectalCancer.org
Who Should Floyd Mayweather fight next: