MONTREAL (November 5, 2012) -- It is now confirmed that, after 17 months of waiting, the World Boxing Council (WBC) light heavyweight champion from 2009 to 2011, Jean Pascal (26-2-1, 16 KOs), of Laval (Quebec, Canada), is returning to the ring on Friday, December 14 at the Bell Centre.
Loyal fans of the popular Fast & Furious Boxing Series will benefit from the long awaited return of the world-class fighter Pascal, who will face Aleksy "Ali" Kuziemski (23-4, 7 KOs) Dec. 14 in the second of the four exciting matches featured on the Fast & Furious Series 3.0.
Pascal hasn't fought since losing on points to Bernard Hopkins in May of 2011 at a packed Bell Centre. His absence on the international scene left a gaping hole in the light heavyweight division. Pascal has two option proposals for 2013: the first is a fight on Showtime against International Boxing Federation (IBF) champion Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19 KOs) in February, the other a rematch against WBC champion Chad Dawson (31-2, 17 KOs) on HBO in March.
Before he challenges for another world championship, Pascal must return to the various association's rankings, a position he lost due to his prolonged absence. Only an impressive victory against Kuziemski will give Pascal optimism for 2013. "After a few unsuccessful tries," Pascal said "I know that this time is correct. My training is going well, my health is excellent, and I started hurting my sparring partners in training. In 2013, I will be world champion, crushing anybody who tries to stop me."
Kuziemski has a lot of experience in amateur boxing having won a bronze medal at the 2003 World Championships in Bangkok, Thailand. He (Poland) and Pascal (Canada) participated in the 2004 Olympic in Athens, Greece. Kuziemski lost on points to current World Boxing Association (WBA) champion Beibut Shumenov. A veteran of 27 professional, Kuziemski held the prestigious European title from 2008 to 2009. He unsuccessfully challenged for world title twice, stopped in the 11th round by former World Boxing Organization (WBO) light heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer (38-2, 30 KOs), and in the fourth by reigning WBO titlist Nathan Cleverly (24-0, 11 KOs) last year.
Kuziemski won his last fight in March of this year against Leo Tchoula (9-2, 8 KO) by second-round technical knockout in Poland. "Kuziemski is a solid professional who learned to box in the great Polish amateur system that has been very successful in Europe," GYM president Yvon Michel said. He also fought in World Championship. He certainly has the tools, maturity, and experience to provide a solid examination for our boxer (Pascal)."
David Lemieux in co-feature
Relentless slugger David Lemieux (27-2-1, 26 KOs), of Laval, fights a middleweight opponent to soon be announced in the 10-round co-feature. We already know who he is but a contracts administration is preventing GYM to disclose his name for the moment. A hint: he has fought over a 10 rounds fight against universally acclaimed middleweight champion Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez. Lemieux is a Montreal fan-favorite because of he is a powerful, offensive-minded fighter without compromise.
Eleider Alvarez vs. Edison Miranda
Multi-talented North American Boxing Organization (NABO light heavyweight champion and adopted Quebec son, Eleider "Storm" Alvarez (10-0, 6 KOs) takes on heavy-handed Colombian Edison "Pantera" Miranda (35-8, 30 KOs) in a 12-round NABO title defense. Alvarez faces the stiffest test of his young career in the 43-fight veteran, 31-year-old Miranda. Miranda wanted Pascal as his opponent and he was promised a shot, if he defeats his Dec. 14th opponent. Since his third-round, technical knockout loss to Lucian Bute for the International Boxing Federation (IBF) super middleweight title in 2010, Miranda moved up to fight in light heavyweight division. Although he's lost three of his last five fights at 175-pounds, losing top leading prospects, Miranda's power and Kamikaze-style of fighting represents a constant danger to everyone and keeps spectators fascinated. Alvarez's coach, Marc Ramsay, commented, "A while ago, 'Storm' asked me to fight Miranda because he hates his attitude and personality. This will be a very personal fight for him; a very emotional battle ahead!"
Kevin Bizier & Logan McGuinness remain active
Also in action in the Dec. 14th event is fearsome slugger and reigning NABA welterweight champion, Kevin Bizier (18-0, 13 KOs), from Quebec city, who returns to the ring in a fight allowing him to remain active in preparation for his very important fight on the February 8 Fast & Furious show. Another NABA champion, super featherweight Logan McGuinness (18-0-1, 9 KOs), of Orangeville, Ontario, a protégé of Adam Harris, will defend his crown in a 12-round bout. McGuinness is not a stranger in Montreal, where he has fought five times, knocking out Drumondville's Benoit Gaudet in 2011.
GYM will present a total of seven professional fights with more details coming shortly.
The Dec. 14th event will be available for viewing by fans in the comfort of their homes via Canal Indigo, Bell TV, Shaw TV in Canada, as well as on WealthTV in the United States.
GYM wishes to thank its key partners, including Pierre Bibeau of Loto Quebec, Robert Dépatie of Videotron, Pierre Dion of TVA Sports, Jacques Aubé of Evenko, Charles Benoit and Martin Spalding from Astral Radio, Coors Light, Marc Roberge, Martin Trudel and Guy St-Pierre of Tonikgroupimage, Marcel Savard of BLlitho, Houston restaurants, Adidas and Rival. Almost all have been with GYM since its beginning and their participation is as important as it's appreciated.
VERO BEACH, FL (November 5, 2012) - Battle-tested road warrior Sherman "Tank" Williams has broken training camp and departed today for Finland, where he plans to land his "conch" punch to spoil undefeated Robert "The Nordic Nightmare" Helenius' return to the ring this Saturday at their European throw-down in Helsinki.
"I'm going to take Finland by storm," Williams proclaimed before his departure. "I'm going to do the same things I did to (Evander) Holyfield and (Chauncey) Welliver and make it three wins in a row.
"I really want to make a statement in this fight, especially against a 6' 6" undefeated guy fighting at home, to legitimize myself as a challenger for either of the Klitschko (Wladimir and Vitali) brothers or (Alexander) Povetkin. I think this will be a perfect forum to make that statement."
World Boxing Organization (WBO) No. 10-ranked Williams (34-11-2, 19 KOs), the reigning WBO Asia Pacific and WBO Asian Boxing Council Championships, has traveled across the United States and around the world to fight in places like Macau, China, Germany twice, and Montreal.
"It doesn't matter where I fight," Williams insisted. "I am a world warrior, a modern-day pirate who goes where the treasures can be found. There's always an underlying fact that somebody from this part of the world ain't going to get a decision in Europe, but I feel that this opportunity is worth going over there to fight. I'll fight wherever...Helsinki, Berlin, anywhere. I consider myself an international guy and there's no place on this planet I wouldn't fight as long as I bring my 'Conch' (over-hand right) punch with me."
Former European champion Helenius has been out of action since last December 3 with a shoulder injury suffered during his highly-controversial 12-round split decision win over Derek Chisora. Helenius, ranked No. 13 by the (WBO), has knocked out former world heavyweight champions Sergei Liakhovich (TKO9), Samuel Peter (KO9) and Lamon Brewster (TKO8).
"Helenius has a methodical style and he's confident," Williams noted. "I like that he comes straight forward. He's 6' 6", I'm 5' 11", but I know that he's not going to fight down to me. Our styles will make for a very exciting fight."
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (November 5, 2012) -- Fresquez Productions announced today that four-time world title-holder Myriam Lamare (20-3, 10 KOs), after attempting to renegotiate her signed contract and then citing a shoulder injury, has withdrawn from her scheduled December 7 world title fight against 12-time, three division world champion Holly "The Preacher's Daughter" Holm (31-2-3, 9 KOs).
Australian invader Diana Prazak (11-1, 7 KOs), ranked No. 1 by the World Boxing Council (WBC), has replaced Lamare as Holm's opponent for their 10-round main event fight for the International Boxing Association (IBA) and World Boxing Federation (WBF) light welterweight titles at Route 66 Casino Hotel in Albuquerque.
"Fire And Ice" is being presented by Fresquez Productions in association with Route 66 Casino Hotel
"Lamare sent us X-rays and medical records of her injured shoulder," promoter Lenny Fresquez explained. "It's frustrating because we've already spent a lot of money promoting Holm vs. Lamare II but we're fortunate to have a great fighter like Diana Prazak step-up to fight the best pound-for-pound women's fighter in the world, Holly Holm. Diana deserves a lot of credit for accepting that big challenge and I know she's coming to pull off an upset of Holly."
Now fighting out of Los Angeles, Prazak will be moving up in weight to fight Holm, a natural welterweight who is dropping back down to light welterweight for this fight only. In her last fight, Prazak defended the WIBA super featherweight title she won in 2011 with a win by unanimous decision over Fatuma Aarika (24-5-1). Prazak will be fighting outside of her native Australia for only the second time having won a six-round decision from Lucia Larcinese earlier this year in Staten Island, New York
The 31-year-old, newly married Holm (31-2-3, 9 KOs) has defeated a virtual Who's Who list of champion woman boxers, from the 140 through 154-pound weight classes, including Lamare, Ann Sophie Mathis, Christy Martin, Mary Jo Sanders, Mia St. John, Jane Couch, Duda Yankovich and Chevelle Hallback (twice).
Supporting fights showcasing local boxers will feature light welterweight Matthew "Champ" Baca (1-0, 1KO) vs. Derek Perez (pro-debut) in a four-round bout, female light welterweight Victoria "La Reina de la Guerra" Cisneros (6-13-2, 2 KOs) vs. TBA, bantamweight Raymond "Hollewood" Montez (5-2, 3 KOs) vs. Tony Valdez (6-6-3, 6 KOs) in a eight-round rematch, amateur standout Jason Sanchez makes his pro debut in a four-round fight vs. featherweight Gene Perez (1-0), plus Manny Rocca and Cris Leyva (1-0) battle in a four-round opening bout.
For more information about "Fire And Ice" go on line to www.FresquezProductions.com or www.rt66casino.com.
Would You pay to see Floyd Mayweather Jr box against Conor McGregor?