NEW YORK (October 25, 2012) - Last Saturday night's show-stealing, world title- winning performance on Showtime Championship Boxing was only the beginning for new World Boxing Organization (WBO) middleweight champion Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin (28-0, 20 KOs).
Quillin dropped defending champion and previously undefeated Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (27-1, 17 KOs) six times en route to a spectacular 12-round triumph, receiving scores of 115-107 from all three judges.
Born in Chicago and raised in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the charismatic Cuban-American returned to Brooklyn, where he once lived for four years, and became the first American-born fighter to be world middleweight champion since Kelly Pavlik lost to Sergio Martinez in 2010.
"It was great putting on a performance like that for the fans at Barclay Center," said Quillin, who now lives in Manhattan but trains at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles. "All my hard work paid off. It was a great show. People saying I stole the show, well, that's a blessing. I proved that I can perform like that, given the chance, in a championship fight. I beat a world champion who had an undefeated, identical record as mine."
Five of the six punches he decked N'Dam with were left hooks and Quillin finished strong by flooring his opponent twice in the final round. "I've always had a good left hook," Quillin noted. "People may not have noticed it before, but it's another tool in my tool box.
"I always have confidence in my skills and working with (strength-and-conditioning coach) Brad Bose and my nutritionist, Robert Garcia, conditioning was never my concern. I went 12 hard rounds and felt strong right to the end."
Quillin is a throwback fighter in the sense that he'll take on anybody put in the ring with him, provided Team Chocolate (Golden Boy Promotions, adviser Al Haymon, co-managers John Seip and Jim McDevitt and trainer Eric Brown) signs off. His next opponent could be a fellow world champion, former world title-holder, hot prospect, or top 10-ranked contender.
"It's important to be surrounded by a group of people, like Team Chocolate, that believes in me and is always there to help," added Quillin, who admits winning the world title hasn't completely sunk in yet. "I trust my team to come-up with my best option. My job is to be ready for whatever happens and keep coming out victoriously. We'll see how things play out. I'll defend my title and come out of my next fight as a winner, just like I always have been. I'm not going to get big headed about this. I'm going to pick-up my work ethic even more and stay hungry.
"I have an X on my back now. Life has already started to change a little, but that comes with the territory as world champion. Now that I am world champion, I guess I need to re-evaluate my goals; I want to win more titles and become a household name."
Capturing the WBO crown was only the beginning for "Kid Chocolate."
BETHLEHEM, PA - The ringside section for the highly anticipated December 22nd Tomasz Adamek vs. Steve Cunningham heavyweight rematch has already sold out. "Just days after the fight, scheduled to take place at the Sands Resort Bethlehem and broadcast live in the afternoon on NBC, went on sale, we have no more seats left to sell at ringside," promoter Kathy Duva of Main Events announced today.
There are still tickets available for Adamek's defense of his IBF North American Championship belt, priced at $50 and $75. In addition, a limited number of $130 suite tickets may become available. The bout will also be contested for the #2 position in the IBF Heavyweight ratings. The winner will be ordered fight #1 contender Kubrat Pulev for the right to become Wladimir Klitschko's next mandatory opponent.
"We encourage fans who want to experience this great event in person at the beautiful Sands Resort in Bethlehem, PA to purchase their tickets now," Duva said, "because very few tickets remain in the other price categories."
To purchase the remaining tickets while they last, contact the Sands Bethlehem Event Center box office 610-297-7414, Main Events 973-200-7050 and Peltz Boxing 215-765-0922 and through Ticketmaster, http://www.ticketmaster.com/NBC-Fight-NightBoxing-tickets/artist/1794277,
For additional information on the event, seating arrangements, or ticketing, visit the event page located on the website. www.sandseventcenter.com.
Number one rated junior middleweight Gabriel Rosado did an about face today, and decided to withdraw from his intended bout with Elvin Ayala on Dec. 8th.
Rosado said, "After talking things over with my trainer, Billy Briscoe, I have decided to pass on the Dec. 8 fight with Elvin Ayala and wait to see what K9 Bundrage's next move is concerning my chance to fight him for the IBF world title by next March."
Rosado's advisor J. Russell Peltz of Peltz boxing confirmed, "It would have been nice having Gabby fight in Philly now that he's a much bigger star, but I understand where he's coming from and I support whatever decisions he makes."
The fight had been scheduled as the co-feature on the critically acclaimed NBC Fight Night Boxing Series. A replacement bout will be announced shortly.
HOLLYWOOD, FLA (OCTOBER 25, 2012)—The World Boxing Organization held day one of its 25th annual convention on Tuesday at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida. Among the many subjects on their agenda, the WBO presented fighter of the year recognition awards to their regional champions. Amongst the acknowledged was WBO Latino Super Featherweight Champion Juan Carlos Burgos & WBO Inter-Continental champion Ruslan Provodnikov.
Burgos won the WBO Latino Fighter of the Year while Provodnikov won the WBO Inter-Continental Fighter of the Year
The Mexican native, Burgos (30-1, 20 KOs), is the mandatory challenger to the title at 130 currently held by Puerto Rican Roman "Rocky" Martinez (26-1-1, 13 KOs). Said Burgos, "I am extremely humbled and proud to receive this award. Having dedicated my life to the sport, it means so much to me. I have always and will continue to give my very best in the ring."
Said Provodnikov (22-1, 15 KO’s) “Its an honor to be recognized by the WBO and I look forward to big fight coming up in the near future”
Burgos has had a stellar run in WBO Latino championship bouts by defeating two undefeated fighters in Luis Cruz (19-0) and Cesar Vazquez (25-0) within the last year.
Provodnikov, who is now ranked number-two is in line to fight for the world championship especially since number-one contender Mike Alvarado was just stopped and champion Juan Manuel Marquez will be moving up in weight for his fourth encounter with Manny Pacquiao on December 8th.
Like Burgos, Provodnikov has been perfect in his two WBO mandated bouts as he stopped David Torres in six and Jose Reynoso in two rounds this past June 29th.
Said Banner Promotions CEO Artie Pelullo, “Ruslan and Juan Carlos are deserving of these accolades and the best has yet to come as in the next several months they will both be fighting and winning world titles”
Who Should Floyd Mayweather fight next: