Juan Carlos Burgos To Fight Cristobal Cruz Feb. 24
In the 10-round main event at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware, on Friday, February 24, WBC Silver super featherweight champion Juan Carlos Burgos, 28-1 with 19 knockouts, of Tijuana, B.C., Mexico, will make his first defense of the title against former IBF featherweight world champion Cristobal Cruz, 39-12-3 with 23 knockouts, also of Tijuana.
Thompson Promotions president Ken Thompson said, “This should be another step in the career of Juan Carlos Burgos to get the coveted green belt. He tried once against Hasegawa but felt short, now he is on the right path to make his dream come true. Cristobal Cruz is a formidable foe and will challenge the grit of our future champion Juan Carlos Burgos, but we are confident he will have a magnificent night.”
The fight card was originally scheduled to be in southern California, but was recently moved to Dover. Juan Carlos Burgos said, “I heard we changed venues through my managers and promoters. All I really want is to show the fans on the east or west coast that I am one of the best boxers out there. I know Cruz extremely well - we have even sparred a number of times here in Tijuana - but my mission is to get him out of there and proudly defend my WBC Silver belt.”
Burgos, 25 years old, won the vacant WBC Silver title with an upset 10-round decision against previously undefeated Puerto Rican prospect Luis Cruz in his last fight on November 11. Currently ranked WBC No. 2, WBA No. 4, WBO No. 4, and IBF No. 6, he has won three fights in a row since his only loss in a WBC featherweight world title challenge against Hozumi Hasegawa in November, 2010 – Juan gave a tremendous effort in a fast-paced, exciting battle, but lost by 12-round decision on Hasegawa’s home turf in Nagoya, Japan.
The event is being promoted by Art Pelullo/Banner Promotions and Thompson Promotions. The main event and co-featured bouts will be televised live on ESPN’s “Friday Night Fights.”