WBC Strips LoGreco, Names Lupo Champ
TORONTO (September 30, 2011) - The World Boxing Council ("WBC") has announced today that Phil Lo Greco has been stripped of his WBC International Welterweight belt due to his refusal to defend against mandatory challenger Victor Lupo (19-1-2, 9KO's). The official announcement can be found below:
To Whom it may Concern
Taking into account what reported last night by Christian Cherchi, manager of Phil Lo Greco, about the current status of our WBC International Welterweight champion, this WBC International Championships Committee has no alternatives but to now rule the following :
• Phil Lo Greco won the WBC International 147 Lbs title on 18th June 2010
• Up to date, Lo Greco has never defended his title.
• This Committee has always tried to do its best to support such a good champion and see if there were good reasons not to strip him of his title.
• In the meantime, not to keep the division frozen, the Committee approved a WBC International "Silver Belt" Championship.
• This "Silver belt" Championship regularly took place in Canada on 19th February 2011 .
• Victor Puiu "Lupo" beat former WBC champion Junior Witter to win the WBC International "Silver Belt" 147 lbs title.
• Several attemps have been made in order to have a Unification Bout in this division between the Full titlist and the Silver champion.
• All attempts failed. No fault by this Committee.
• A purse offers bid was held at the WBC Head Office in México and Hennessy Sports Canada won it on September 9th 2011.
• Hennessy Sports Canada fixed October 22nd 2011 as the official date of the bout to be promoted in Ontario, Mississauga, and sent the official contracts to the two boxers within the regular deadline.
• Victor Puiu "Lupo" signed his contract.
• Phil Lo Greco did not and his manager sent an email last night to report that his fighter would not be ready to fight Puiu on the scheduled date.
As clearly shown above, in view of the fact that this Committee has always tried to make every possible effort to avoid coming to this conclusion, for all the facts clearly summarized in this email ;
much to our regret , we must now report the following decision:
THE WBC INTERNATIONAL WELTERweight title is hereby declared VACANT with immediate effect.
Victor Puiu "Lupo" is now to be considered the preferential challenger to the vacant title.
Hennessy Sports Canada, which has already paid the sanction fee for this WBC International title bout, will be given the chance to promote the vacant Championship between Puiu and TBA.
We hope that the same date will be confirmed .
Phil Lo Greco, if future circumstances are in favor, will be reconsidered as a possible challenger after we have crowned the new champion.
We are looking forward to reading from Hennessy Sports Canada in short terms.