Floyd Mayweather vs. Robert Guerrero Predictions

BY The Sweet Science ON April 30, 2013

Mayweather-vs-Guerrero-fight3042013The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada is the site for the May 4th fight between WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Robert Guerrero. Let's take a look at this bout that will be televised by Showtime pay-per-view.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0-0, 26 KOs)

The current WBC welterweight champion has not fought in almost a year with his last win coming against Miguel Cotto in May of 2012. Many people have been waiting for Mayweather Jr. to fight a quality opponent and they may get their wish on May 4th. The odds makers are not sold on this being a competitive fight though as Mayweather Jr. is about an 8-1 favorite in boxing odds. Those odds may be too high as Mayweather Jr. is no longer the powerful boxer he once was. He is now 36 years old and on the downside of his career. His opponents have pretty much been handpicked in the past few years and few had any real chance to beat Mayweather Jr. That is not the case this time. Mayweather Jr. has pretty much said as much. "I want a fighter to come in confident. We don't want the odds to be crazy, but the odds will always be crazy because I've proven myself over the years." Mayweather Jr. said, "But we want a fighter like Robert Guerrero who's confident and believes in his skills."

Robert Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KOs)

There is no doubt that Guerrero is coming into this bout confident and almost cocky. He also is playing up the good vs. bad angle. "He's just an obnoxious creep...That's all he is," Guerrero said about Mayweather Jr., "Boxing needs to get back to where it was classy, a gentleman's sport. You got the youth coming up and see a clown like that."

Boxing Prediction

This is not likely to be a fight where we see a lot of action. Both fighters figure to move around a lot and look for openings. If the judging is fair then Guerrero has a shot as he has the ability to make this fight interesting against an aging Mayweather Jr. This fight will probably go the distance and if the judges are fair then we could see an upset on Saturday, May 4th.

Easy beatdown for Money May with a lot of fouling from both fighters. The Cali Ghost will get busted up. His face might end up looking similar to the elephant man's -- no hate on the elephant looks. May God Rest his soul. I'm certain that he was beautiful in God's Sight.

Humbug Guerrero will not have a holy night - no HATE! Just a lot of holes in his mug. Money May is by far, the better pug. Holla!

riverside says:

8 to 1 odds is a bit conservative! after the beatdown Guerrero gets, Id like to him fight Danny Garcia, Can you imagine the circus the pops will make. Papa Guerrero vs Angel Garcia, they can make their own 24/7. And be part of the undercard, fighting three-two minute rounds. I would pay to see them fight.

Carmine Cas says:

I am divided, however I can see Guerrero pulling off the upset. And Riverside that would be great

ultimoshogun says:

[video=youtube_share;rNPmIAY2PJM]http://youtu.be/rNPmIAY2PJM[/video]

ultimoshogun says:

I'm torn on this one...The objective fan in me says go with the easy/safe bet, Mayweather....but the romantic in me really wants to see "The Ghost" shock the world...Therefore, I'm going with Guerrero to pull off the unthinkable by pressing the pace, making Floyd uncomfortable and just being the busier fighter for 12 rds. I think Guerrero will employ the same gameplan Cotto used but Guerrero will be more effective because he has a better motor than Cotto.

If the ghost tries that bullshit he did against Berto he will be picked apart and probably stopped in the later rounds. He has to mix it up but for the most part he will has to rough up Money May.

I can't imagine any scenario where Guerrero wins. I see a relatively dull fight without alot of signifigant punches landed. 116-112 or 117-111 for Floyd. Mares-Ponce will steal the show until a clash of heads sends it to the scorecards.

tlig says:

I'm thinking Guerrero has all of us fooled. Something tells me he isn't as confident (or even determined to win) as he makes out. I hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling he'd just be happy to be there, put up something of a"heroic" performance, and go home happy (and millions of dollars richer).

He'll lose in any case- confident or not.

The Cali Ghosts and the Cali Ghost Dad have put on a marvelous FAKE! I wouldn't believe 'em anymore than I would a talkin' snake. Come Sabado, TCH is going to get a Money May's muggin.' And will need an "It's-all-right, Jesus-Still-Luv-ya' huggin.'" TCG and his pops CGD are not just BUGGIN,' they are humbuggin.'

Money May in da paint ALL NIGHT! For TCG and his pops CGD, it is not going to be a JESUS-IS-ON-MY-SIDE NIGHT! Jesus Is Staying By The Father's Side, as He Has Been Doing for over 734,745 nights since those Romans put it on Him. YUP! Jesus Is Not Bearing Another Cross. Especially for a prizefighting humbug in Sin City, USA.

Chances of that are SLIM and NONE! And SLIM tried to cut in front of me at the betting line. So I knocked him da double fudge OUT! And he won't be waking up until next week sometime. So if you are not a small fry, put your money on Money May. And collect dat PHAT PAY! Holla!

Real Talk says:

Floyd 10th round TKO cuts and Guererro eats to many clean shots he doesn't see from a closed eye. Dueces

SouthPaul says:

Deuces multiplied by Cinco de mayo. And there you have your 10th round ko. Since Guerrero's daddy actin' vato loco forever ... I say Floyd is going to American Me his son.... lil' Puppet style.

Unforgivable choke out, ese.

I had Guerrero from the outset,.. but Floyds' unflappable confidence, composure, and poise thru out the prefight hype has me going one more time for the MONEY MAN,... I've used a couple of vacation days this week, thur and friday,.. we always have Mayday party whenever Floyd fights.

due to his emmense popularity it's almost impossible not to.

I doubt if the fight does over 750,000 views,.. but I'ma fight fan not a bean counter.

Looking forward to a great night of boxing where friends and family can get together one more time. and laugh, joke and talk until the final bell and beyond. since I'm going underground, (off the grid) for a while, this fight will serve as an excellent finaly. Look for an entertaining bout with a few twists and turns along the way.

Brownsugar headed to witsec?

My prediction is a DRAW.

It will be a close fight with the judges leaning towards the ghost to get him the draw and rematch.

Brownsugar headed to witsec?

My prediction is a DRAW.

Nothing that intriguing..... just a laundry list of personal tasks that I've been procrastinating.

A draw is a very possible outcome.

SouthPaul says:

Good read coming off the boards...thanks for that boxing brethren.

I've got Floyd winning pretty handily. A reminder : missed punches on and off the ropes may cause lots of oooo's and awwwwwww's but if they aren't landing, then they aren't counting for squat.

Enjoy...

stormcentre says:

Floyd should bust up and break down Robert; not in the least as he very little defence and speed. Therefore, and predictably; Guerrero will be reliant upon timing.

The southpaw advantage will be good whilst Guerrero is fresh.

spit bucket says:

I see Guerrero doing well the first few rounds, like Zab & Hatton, while Mayweather deflects most of his shots and studies the Ghost's moves as he always does early in a fight. Then Guerrero will get over confident after his early success and and start to get aggressive while taking more chances. That's when Money May will pick it up and start hurting the Ghost at will. I think it goes the distance but May dominates the 2nd half of the fight and wins easily

Any of you who gave Guerrero any chance bow your heads in shame. It was easy to see this coming. Don't sign the contract Canelo. You will be schooled and embarassed.

I'm a bit disappointed in Floyd.

I would rather see him punch rather than hold and run.

He clearly won but he has a lot more to offer.

Like I predicted coming up in weight so quickly and not naturally thro muscle and maturity

killed the ghosts foot speed and agility.

But Floyd is too good to be holding so much and running.

stormcentre says:

Floyd doesn't like taking any unnecessary chances.

I don't like it either, but then it has made him the master at the game in and out of the ring, and someone that will probably go down in history as one of the GOAT.

I wonder whether Robert now thinks God advised him wrongly before the fight - ouch.

SouthPaul says:

32 million dollar sparring session . Great effort by Guerrero , never gave up, stood the course, but never was in it. So it goes...

Maybe Jesus Was Late Coming. Some Sin City "Hos For Jesus" told me that Jesus Would Be at their church that coming morning. So maybe He Slept Late and Missed the Cali Ghost-Money May Bout. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

The ascent of TSS's next rock star. Perfectly worded, SP.

dino da vinci says:

Rad, don't be disrespectful.

Wow! Really! No disrespect from me. The Cali Ghost didn't show up in that squared jungle either. Maybe he made the wrong turn. Hehehe! Holla!

Or Maybe he was sleep walking and thought an angel was going to fight for him. Hehehe! Holla!