Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin Trout

BY The Sweet Science ON April 17, 2013

SAUL CANELO VS AUSTIN TROUT

Canelo Alvarez (41-0)

You might be surprised to learn just how young Alvarez is based on the number of fights he has had. He is just 22 years old but he has been boxing since he was 13 and he turned pro in his teenage years. Thirty of his 41 wins have come by knockout. Some of his detractors have said he hasn't fought anyone of note and recently there is no arguing that point as his wins were against Jose Cotto, Carlos Baldomir, Matthew Hatton, Ryan Rhodes, Alfonso Gomez, Kermit Cintron, Shane Mosley and Josesito Lopez. It is really hard to know just how good Alvarez really is.

Austin Trout (26-0)

Trout does not have the power that Alvarez has with only 14 of his wins coming by knockout. He is a little bit older than Alvarez but he has more speed. He also hasn't fought that much tough competition but at least he has one good win of note as he defeated Miguel Cotto last time out. Trout beat Canelo's brother, Rigoberto Alvarez to win the MBA junior middleweight title and then defended it against Delvin Rodriguez before the win over Cotto.

Boxing Prediction

This should be a really entertaining fight on Saturday night. Canelo has the power to win this fight but I don't know if he will get the chance to show it. Trout has more speed and skill and he may just decide to outbox Canelo all night. The problem with that strategy is that the crown in San Antonio is going to be heavily in favor of Canelo and in a close decision the judges oftentimes will follow the crowd. I think this fight will go to decision and if the judges are fair then Trout has a decent chance to win.

I will be pleasantly surprised that if Trout outboxes Canelo, he will get the win. If Trout does his job, he already has one-fair shooting judge that won't give a darn about crowd noise. See in the Pilipinas, noise is a parts of our everyday lives. The Pinoy judge won't be bothered by the Texikanos' loud cheers. He will rope that jive outta his judgement like chasing steers. Nobody will affect his judgement -- guys, gals and/or gueers. Hehehe! Holla!

I'm a little gun shy since I was so far off last week but I think Canelo will bang out a legit UD. Trout boxed as he pleased against Cotto but Alvarez is younger, stronger, bigger, and faster than Cotto. If Canelo can cut he ring off bang the body, he should win the fight. Or Trout will box his ears off and win a landslide UD, what do I know.

SouthPaul says:

The robbery bandwagon is full. Most everyone picking Trout is using that built in excuse.

With or without corruption or inside favoritism ...it's that kinda fight on paper. We knowledgable fans call it a pick 'em.

The detractors will say Canelo hasn't fought anyone cause they expect all them opponents to be Durans, Ali's, Sugar Ray Leonard's.

The expectations and standards are unrealistic.

TioMamoy13 says:

I think canelo wins a close decision that may be debated

jzzy says:

Canelo had some trouble with an aging Mosley, so Trout knows what he needs to do. Canelo needs to
boss the fight from the get go with sustained pressure, and manhandle Trout in the clinches, turning this
into a brawl if necessary. It's time for Canelo to sieze the crown as the next big thing in Boxing.

Que oras es? It's LEFTY TIME! Check your watches! I hate to fall off this "robbery bandwagon." It is a piece of junk with no funk. I know I shoulda got on dat victory train. Trout is going to bring the pain. Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

Anyone else thinking Meldrick Taylor vs Chavez when it comes to this matchup? I see this one unfolding something like that one, with Trout looking good landing more shots but Canelo landind the more damaging shots through out the fight...And in the championship rounds Trout begins to break down under the pressure and either gets stopped or stumbles across the finish line.

Carmine Cas says:

How about no one? There is an arrest warrant for Canelo and his brother for assault Ulises "Archie" Solis from 2011. I love how the mexican police press the issue now. But if they fight I am leaning towards Trout especially now cuz Canelo has this on his mind. But who knows if Canelo fights smart he can overpower trout and bang out a UD

deepwater says:

Trout wins. canelo cant even say the word Chavez until he gets another 30 fights. Chavez was organic, he rose up from the people. Canelo is a hype job forced upon the people. no comparison.

SouthPaul says:

A better example of a hype job would be Chavez JR. Canelo been fighting since he was a young kid. Not just around fighters but actually practicing the craft. Of course when you're building a star there comes unwarranted and exaggerated hype. Again, nature of the development beast. When you sort it out...dust off some of that hype frenzy ...you're still left with a legit fighter.

deepwater says:

A better example of a hype job would be Chavez JR. Canelo been fighting since he was a young kid. Not just around fighters but actually practicing the craft. Of course when you're building a star there comes unwarranted and exaggerated hype. Again, nature of the development beast. When you sort it out...dust off some of that hype frenzy ...you're still left with a legit fighter in Canelo Alvarez. A young aggressive attacker who likely is going to out hustle Trout from one round to the next.

chavez jr fought lil maromero paez when he was 7 years old with no head gear in front of 5,000. chavez jr might be overhyped but canelo is forced on the people.

SouthPaul says:

Be that as it may, but this weekend is an excellent match up, and I'm envisioning Canelo to force himself onto Trout.

Truthfully, if there's any hype job here, it's Trout.

He beat a past his prime Cotto and now everyone has fallen in love.

The Good Doctor says:

Truthfully, if there's any hype job here, it's Trout.

He beat a past his prime Cotto and now everyone has fallen in love.

Would you agree that there is a bit of overhyping on both of them? Cotto is probably the best win between the two. However, neither has beaten a great fighter, both have had trouble against a C level fighter (Canelo-Gomez, Trout-Tapia), and each has definite holes in their game. Canelo has slow feet, loads his punches, and below average head movement. Trout fights with his hands low and wide, and is subject to some body work which is where Cotto got some work done. I like both of them but I lump them with GGG and Gary Russell Jr. They look somewhat promising but I need to see more.

SouthPaul says:

I would absolutely agree with that and I'd then again say... Clearing away the hype.. What still remains is two very solid legitment contenders. Let's see who can separate themselves from the pack this weekend. Im excited .

deepwater says:

Truthfully, if there's any hype job here, it's Trout.

He beat a past his prime Cotto and now everyone has fallen in love.

should be good fight but no way compares to Chavez sr vs Whitaker or Taylor. these guys still got along way to go before they are mentioned in the same breath as those guys . Chavez sr worked his way up from the gutter of culiacan and fought in alleys and bull rings and the Mexican people loved him. Canelo is being handed a flashy career

deepwater says:

Would you agree that there is a bit of overhyping on both of them? Cotto is probably the best win between the two. However, neither has beaten a great fighter, both have had trouble against a C level fighter (Canelo-Gomez, Trout-Tapia), and each has definite holes in their game. Canelo has slow feet, loads his punches, and below average head movement. Trout fights with his hands low and wide, and is subject to some body work which is where Cotto got some work done. I like both of them but I lump them with GGG and Gary Russell Jr. They look somewhat promising but I need to see more against a real fighter.

I agree with you.

ultimoshogun says:

Just to make things clear, my post was referring to what the actual battle in the ring might look like as I went on to describe. Thats where I was making the comparison, not necessarily the fighters.

deepwater says:

you might be right that trout boxes well and canelo comes on at the end.

WOW! I'm still riding with the lefty Austin Trout dominating and gettin' shafted. The red-headed hype is also a fader in the stretch. I wouldn't say that both fighters are HYPE! Austin Trout has NEVER been hyped. He has always been the underdog fighting in enemy terrority. That was the case when he won the alphabet-sanctioning title belt against Canelo's kuya. That was the case against faded, but still very-good Cotto. And now here we go again against Cinnamon Guy. Hahaha!

Trout will NO DOUBT win if Canelo punks out on the strool. But I think that Canelo will probably get cut up, and the powers that cheat will call every cut a head butt and stop the fight in the end, and give Canelo a technical S decision, because two judges on take will have him ahead on points. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Trout is the one connected to the boxing mafia. You and others have stated Al Haymon is just that, the new aged boxing mafia don. I don't believe that, but if you do then you should have a sense of comfort in your Trout pick cause its Al Haymon who manages his career. Holla'!

SouthPaul says:

I got you cornered, Radam, be smart.....kneel down and take the 8 count before Southpaw puts you down and out for good!!!!!!! Lmfao

ultimoshogun says:

I got you cornered, Radam, be smart.....kneel down and take the 8 count before Southpaw puts you down and out for good!!!!!!! Breathe, dog!!!! Give yourself a moment or two to catch your second wind... Gather your thoughts!!! Lmfao

Haha, "Breathe, dog"...tell me you got that from Denzel in "Training Day"...am I right?

deepwater says:

many families in the boxing mafia. you got the bobfather/sheldon adelson kosher nostra. you got the Suleiman green belt mafia, the shadow al hay man crime family( got booted from HBO because of kosher nostra fam), the cross-dressing mafia with the greedy swiss banker? forget that last one. boxing is where all the criminals,politicians, movie stars all come out to play

U-shogun, my just-turned BIG six-year-old son Denzoy just finished with bit parts in an up-coming movie with Denzel.

@SouthPaul, I'm gonna chill for a quick sec, because I got a red-eye flight air pony to San Tony. Ain't saying that the red-headed hype is no phony. But I'm not impressed. I've seen Austin all the way from the amateurs. I'm somewhat impressed. Holla!

DaveB says:

I'm going with lefty Trout. I think it will be really, really stretching it to have Canelo win. If he gets a gift decision and fights Mayweather anyway it will diminish any appeal of that fight on a PPV level. Something about fooling all the people some of the time......

stormcentre says:

I just haven’t watched enough of both these guys to be confident about a winner/prediction.

In fact, I haven’t seen a complete fight from each.

I would like Trout to win, but (from what little I have seen) I don’t think it will happen.

Alvarez won a silver in the mexican national champion ships at the age of 15
But he's only had 20 amateur fights.

His management has forced fed him a diet of junior welters and aging boxers.

The kid is talented but his best opponent couldn't handle Delvin Rodriguez on his worst day.

Trout will pick this kid apart by the 6th round on route to a UD or possibly a TKO in the late late rounds.

So many good fights this weekend I don't know if I have enough room to record them all.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I agree with Radam G and Brownsugar. Canelo is going to have trouble dealing with Trout's skill because he hasn't face the type of competition that would have prepared him for a battle such as this. As I have said before, Trout is a southpaw that reminds me of Winky Wright. He doesn't fight out of the peek-a-boo stance like Wright did, but he has a slickness about him that will give just about any jr. middleweight or middleweight fighter trouble. I'm predicting that Trout wins by a split or unanimous decision.

duwdu says:

Trout is the better thinking fighter of the two, IMO. Canelo is smart too, and can bang, however, Trout is relatively - even very - difficult to hit, due to his ability to move, deftness and quickness relative to Canelo.

People can now afford to opine that Cotto might have been shot at the stage at which he lost to "No Doubt," but very few experts or ordinary boxing fans said that of him against Trout going into their fight.

I'm saying conventional wisdom almost always turns out to have underestimated Trout.

When I put the above together with my other opinion as to which intangibles I can further assign to each fighter, I easily go with a UD win for Trout.

P34c3

riverside says:

Canelo UD or late stoppage, Going against B-Sug and RG prediction, Ala Chavez vs Duplesiss, and Chavez Vs Lonnie smith, Canelo has improve and gotten stronger since we first saw him, He is going to run trout off the ring,! I see trout going on survival mood from the opening bell and first body shot. When Trout hears 30,000 people singing the opening song Mejico lindo Y querido, his knees are going to buckle. I remember seeing Sweet pea vs chavez in the same setting, the first two rounds of that fight it looked like Sweet pea wanted out, he later regroup and put on a boxing clinic, Trout is not Sweet Pea! as Canelo is no Chavez!! I'll be here late tonight or tomorrow morning giving props to the winner. hoping for a good scrap!!

stormcentre says:

Yes, well I guess I will just have to live with my (previous) forecast based mostly on guesses. I think Trout is the more skilled, definitely. And I have, many times, thought Trout will have too much talent for Alvarez. That still stands in my opinion – well kind of.

However, Canelo is a strong and tough MFO. He will probably come forward and attack with more intensity that Cotto did against Trout. I know Alavarez is probably easier to hit than Cotto too, but I am not sure whether Trout can keep all the intricate parts of his style moving under the pressure Canelo will bring, and still land shots.

And for me (mindful of my earlier posts caveat) that’s the thing. When/if things get really tired in the latter rounds, and if Canelo is still not completely depleted; will the fact that Saul seems stronger and his style requires less thought and energy, pay dividends?

Sometimes it works that way. Particularly so, if the more technical guy doesn’t have significant KO power.

I just don’t know whether Trout can play that violin and make beautiful music whilst under the pressure that this young, determined, powerful, but less skilled, fighter will bring.

I want Trout to win. But my “guess” is that he wont.

What's happening my man? Just got off work and I'm pulling up a chair right now. Riverside your logic is airtight but Trout has whipped Mexicans in Mexico before.
Trout may sound as mellow as Tiger Woods but once the bell rings he'll be all over the Red headed sensation like melted goat cheese on refried beans.. See you after the fight....Enjoy.

Should be a great fight. They both have alot to fight for. I still lean toward Canelo by UD. Cotto could not cut the ring off and when he did he was a bit to small to hurt Trout. He never landed a big shot. Canelo is younger, faster, and stronger than Cotto. Cut the ring off, bang the body get inside do damage upstairs. I hope its a great fight whoever wins.

That was not the fight I expected to see. Open scoring sucks. Lawrence Cole and his bald spot suck, and Texas sucks. If I was managing a fighter I'd never have him fight in Texas.

What's up with all the Texas suck action, the Roast? The food is good. The damsels, dames and dolls are pretty. Sucking ______ by 'em ain't bad! Or do you just want to play tennis with? Hehe! Holla!

I've never been there Radam but what I just saw on TV tells me if you arent the house fighter dont expect a fair shake. That fight was close but the scorecards don't reflect it.

It is the same in Cali, Arizona and Nevada, the Roast. Maybe it is just a Wide West thing. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Why are you veteran fight fans shocked at the scores? If you have a close contested bout where rounds can go either way why in the hell would it be out of the realm one judge saw all those close ones for one particular guy? Canelo landed the more effective punches . Sure, the jab Trout threw, lovely ..too bad he kept misjudging the range of it.

SouthPaul, no one is shocked of the scores. The fight was close. There was no Texas hanky panky this time. And it didn't need to be. Eifher pugilist could have gotten the edge. IMHO, Canelo got with the knockdown. Holla!

I'm not shocked, Trout threw more than just a jab. The arguement could be made that all the close rounds could have went to Trout. Alvarez was just being too cute alot of the time. Moving his shoulders when he should have been punching. At a neutral site Trout would have got the nod I think. It just depends on what style you like. Like last week when some fans thought Rigo stunk or ran while others thought he was masterfull.

SouthPaul says:

I'll respond in detail later.

Radam, Im working on a poem for you. Stay tuned!!!!

duwdu says:

Alvarez did/showed more than I thought he would, and Trout did/displayed less than I thought he would that led me to favor him in this fight.

Fair win for Canelo.