Broner: "I Learned I Need To Stay in Shape"

BY The Sweet Science ON September 03, 2014

Broner-taylor

ADRIEN BRONER vs. EMANUEL TAYLOR

FIGHT WEEK MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES

Cincinnati Homecoming For "The Problem" THIS Saturday, Sept. 6,

Live On SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® From U.S. Bank Arena

CINCINNATI, Ohio (Sept. 3, 2014) - It's homecoming time for Cincinnati favorite Adrien "The Problem" Broner.

Former three-division world champion Broner and super lightweight contender Emanuel "Tranzformer" Taylor held a media workout on Wednesday to kick-off fight week for this Saturday's SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® tripleheader on Saturday, Sept. 6 at U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati.

Broner (28-1, 22 KOs) and Taylor (18-2, 12 KOs) will meet in the 12-round super lightweight main event. Broner spoke to his fans in attendance at Fountain Square Plaza and then opted to work out at a local gym rather than the sweltering outdoors in downtown Cincy.

In the co-feature, former WBA Super Lightweight World Champion Lucas Matthysse (35-3, 33 KOs) will square off with Mexico's highly touted Roberto "Massa" Ortiz (31-0-1, 24 KOs) in a 12-round bout for Ortiz's WBC Silver Super Lightweight Title. Opening the telecast will be the return of former welterweight world champion Andre Berto (28-3, 22 KOs) against Steve Upsher (24-3-1, 6 KOs) in a 10-round welterweight bout.

Tickets, priced at $128, $78, $53 and $28, are available by calling Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets will also be available at the U.S. Bank Arena Box Office.

Here's what the fighters had to say at Wednesday's event.

ADRIEN BRONER, Former Three-Division World Champion:

"It means a lot to fight back here in Cincy. There's no time like SHOWTIME. It's just fight time right now and we're winding down. It's going to be an epic night and we're going to have fun.

"He's going to come to fight. When people fight an Adrien Broner or a Floyd Mayweather they're going to come to fight. I'm sure he trained to his best, he's in tip-top shape and he's ready to go.

"I learned I need to stay in shape. Before the Maidana fight it felt like I was unstoppable, I could do anything. I could just go back in the ring and everything would be normal. But after the fight I realized I have to slow down. I can still be me and have fun, but I can't be beating up my body. I have no more flaws. I put down everything. Now I just have fun, I stay in shape and I keep positive people around.

"I'm still AB, I'll give him an ass beating for sure. I didn't come to play any games. I'm here to kick his ass. I'm not playing around. If I feel like dancing, I'm going to dance. But I'm going to get the job done and it won't be going to a decision.

"I'm not just going to fake work out for three minutes and be finished. I invite everyone out here to my workout session at the rec center so everyone can watch me give a real workout.

"You have guys that give you a weak workout sometimes for the fans. I want everyone to know that I will never give you a fake workout. If you want to see a real workout you can just come to the gym."

EMANUEL TAYLOR, Super Lightweight Contender:

"He's definitely understating me. He's going to be in for a rude awakening.

"I don't mind fighting in his hometown. All the pressure is on him, none of it is on me. I just need to do what I have to do to get the victory.

"He was blasted out when he fought Marcos Maidana, and he didn't look that good against (Carlos) Molina. He stands right there to get hit and doesn't move around on his feet. I'm a hard hitter, so if I catch him a couple of times it's going to be night, night for him.

"Boxing can expect an underdog coming from out of the ground into the bright lights of boxing. It's going to be a tremendous fight for me. You're not going to see the last of me after this fight."

LUCAS MATTHYSSE, Former WBA Super Lightweight World Champion

"I think I'm a better fighter than I was when I fought (Danny) Garcia.

On going down twice against John Molina:

"Those things happen in boxing. You can be a great champion, but sometimes you go against someone with a lot of power. You just get up and brush it off, and that's what I did. I brushed it off and got the win.

"We're expecting a very tough. He's a Mexican like all the Mexican warriors. We're expecting a good fight.

"After I win this I want Danny Garcia. If he's too scared of me, I'll have to find someone else to fight for a world title.

ROBERTO "MASSA" ORTIZ, WBC Silver Super Lightweight Champion

"I don't think Matthysse is the same fighter after the Danny Garcia fight. And he showed that in his last fight against John Molina that he wasn't the same. He's still a good fighter at 140 pounds, but not the same that he used to be.

"But that doesn't mean I'm taking him lightly. He's still a great fighter and I'll be prepared for whatever happens on Saturday.

"I understand he's a bigger name than me, especially here in the U.S. But it's my job to come out here and let the people know who I am and make history.

"I know Lucas is strong, but I'm very strong as well. I'm going to come out there and look for the knockout."

ANDRE BERTO, Former Welterweight World Champion

"I'm feeling good. I've been out for a full year working on rehab and it's been one of the toughest roads I've ever been on. But my shoulder is feeling good and I'm ready to go. I'm excited to be here and I'm just excited to be back.

"Working with Virgil (Hunter) has definitely helped my game a lot. The first fight we had together we only had six weeks with each other. You can't do too much in that short period of time.

"I've been out training with him for about five months now and he's been working me out of a lot of bad habits. We're still a work in progress but he's definitely one of the sharpest coaches I've ever seen in boxing.

"People in boxing only grade your last performance. But it's something that I can't get upset at because I haven't performed up to standards in my last few fights. So I'm looking forward to doing this for me and for the people.

"I'm back, I'm happy to be back and we're going to kick this thing off right."

Hopefully, "We're going to kick this thing off right" means Broner will fight and then leave the ring without giving an interview!

(As if you didn't know, I'm not a fan of Broner!)

-Randy G.

Hehehe! He is going to give an interview. For G-sake, he is at home. I'd expect nothing less.

Bonehead -- I mean Broner -- is now in a chillax state of mind. And in the fight and with the interview, he's going to kick b-hind [$¡¢]. And then say: I want Mannay [$¡¢] Pakcow [$¡¢]. Holla!

stormcentre says:

Wow . . . he learned he needed to stay in shape.

In a sport like boxing.

Genius.

Gee . . was it hard to learn that difficult and elusive lesson?

Perhaps a little less smack talk and concern for aesthetics during sparring, and instead a little more focus on sustained anerobics.

Me included; I know so many fighters that would have loved sparring Broner if he were around when we were.

Dude would have been on soft foods for months; he is so open and predictable.

I understand the condemnation of Broner.... I totally get it. But deep within that juvenile mind is an exceptional fighter struggling to break free.

I want to see if he has the focus and determination to move forward from here.

You can bet its going to be the Broner show in Da Natti'

Wish I wasn't chained to my PC for mandatory overtime. Or I'd be there.
My job is a cruel task master.

My prediction.... Broner in 9 ....tko.

oubobcat says:

Agreed, it took him this long to figure out in this sport you always need to be in shape. Come on, seriously.

One thing in this fight I will be interested to see is if Broner does anything different. I did not see that against Molina. He still does not jab enough and has to many dead spots. His shoulder roll defense is not always that effective either but against Molina (and other light hitters he fought) he hasn't paid for those holes. The one exception, Marcos Maidana.

The same old Broner can win this fight. But without making significant improvement beating the likes of Emmanuel Taylor will be as far as he can go.

stormcentre says:

Let him fight Thurman, Rios, Garcia or even Guerrero.

But - by all means - keep the microphone away from him.

Skibbz says:

Wow . . . he learned he needed to stay in shape.

In a sport like boxing.

Genius.

Gee . . was it hard to learn that difficult and elusive lesson?

Dude would have been on soft foods for months; he is so open and predictable.

That made me chuckle good Storm. When you chase the fame before the glory this is what the outcome will be. In his toughest fight to date against Marcos Maidana, Broner also showed he lacked the guts to fight for glory too. Nothing surprises me of an ill-disciplined fighter who mouths off when fighting road sweepers, and is gifted decisions in world title bouts.

The Commish says:

Let him fight Thurman, Rios, Garcia or even Guerrero.

But - by all means - keep the microphone away from him.

I think a Robert Guerrero v Adrien Broner match is an excellent one. However--I'm losing track here--doesn't tsAH have both guys signed?

Taking that away and just picturing them squaring off is an interesting thought. The pressure of Guerrero against the speed of Broner. Would it be like another Broner-Maidana fight?

Too bad it's not gonna' happen.

Also, I'm so thrilled Broner has figured out he needs to stay in shape.

Duh! Brush my hair!!!

Brush this!

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

Wow . . . he learned he needed to stay in shape.

In a sport like boxing.

Genius.

Gee . . was it hard to learn that difficult and elusive lesson?

Dude would have been on soft foods for months; he is so open and predictable.

Very predictable. But he is also tricky.

The Shadow says:

Too bad it's not gonna' happen.

Also, I'm so thrilled Broner has figured out he needs to stay in shape.

Duh! Brush my hair!!!

Brush this!

-Randy G.

He has both guys and that is a matchup that is on the radar, Commish!

The Commish says:

So many topics & fights to discuss on tomorrow's show!

-Randy G.

thegreyman says:

He realised you need to stay in shape?

At this rate he'll be working out which shoe goes on which foot before long...

Let the epiphanies keep coming and maybe one day he can mess with the best

You know if Broner and Mattysse both win they could easily be facing each other.
Sept 6 is an eliminator of sorts.

With Broner realizing that he has to stay in shape .... Broner vs Mattysse could be a fierce brawl for it all.

Both fighters have strong beards and the ability to dish out maximum punishment ......it could be a potential FOTY.... I'd love to see it.

Froggy says:

Lucas vs Broner could be an interestng fight ,but I wouldn't bet a penny on Broner !

The Shadow says:

Broner beats the crap out of Matthyse. If Judah, Alexander and Garcia outbox you, Broner will do the same.

Froggy says:

If I remember right both of those fights were split decisions ! I don't know if you are a betting man Shadow, but I am, unfortunately I don't see how we could have even a friendly wager !

Froggy says:

oubobcat says:

I think Matthysse beats Broner more handily than Maidana beat Broner.

Matthysse has much better overall skills than he is given credit. He's not just a huge puncher but knows how to set up his shots. Not as good as someone like Kovalev but Matthysse is also just not a straight forward banger. In my opinion though much better technical skills than Broner and would expose Broner's flaws much like Maidana did.

I thought he was hosed big time against Alexander and Judah. I had Matthysse winning both those fights and the Judah fight pretty widely.

The Garcia fight was very close, as a matter of fact Matthysse was probably ahead, until the eye blew up. Its part of boxing and Matthysse did not respond well. Hypothetically speaking though if that eye did not blow up I think Matthysse would have won that fight.

Froggy says:

Sorry I wasn't thinking about Gracia, Lucas fought half the fight blind in one eye !

deepwater2 says:

Broner doesn't really outbox anyone because he potshots and then runs his mouth. Broner has knocked out smaller guys but in his last fight against Molina he looked very ordinary and Molina was not even ranked and never fought at the weight before.

Lucas M came up the hard way, matched tough and gave Judah and Alexander very tough fights while still green. He is more experienced now.

If Maidana can beat up,knock down ,dry hump and run Broner out of the ring crying then Lucas M might just get the stoppage against Broner. Remember Lucas M was winning the fight vs Garcia until all the illegal low blows and broken eye socket happened.

Easy money:Lucas M over Broner RSC.

P.S. Why doesn't Broner call out Garcia who is the lineal champ at Broner's weight?

Skibbz says:

If we think Maidana can box, we must acknowledge Matthysse is his better in that regard. If we think Maidana can punch, we must acknowledge Matthysse is his better in this regard too. I agree with all those who favour Lucas M over About Bull****. He makes a mockery of the sport and gives fuel to all those who look down upon and belittle our noble sport. At the top level you can't pick your opponents and it is much harder to run the cards when you're hitting the canvas constantly.

He called out the wrong person, and this Argentinian will do what the last did all but manage and that's to leave the Cincinnati hype-job flat for the full count.

thegreyman says:

Lucas destroys Broner any day of the week- murder in the ring I say

His grit, determination and power will mow right through Broner's poor footwork, positioning, and low work rate

thegreyman says:

I wonder what Broner's idea of 'staying in shape' is anyhow? He's too dense to listen to advice on how hard he should train, as has been made evident thus far in his career.

Broner drinks, parties, eats crap, gets fat and trains light. Doesn't exactly inspire faith.

Broner and Lucas are the opposite in terms of work ethic- while one has fought his way up the hard way, the other has been spoon fed smaller, less skilled opposition to work over- by none other than AH of course.

Broner is a B fighter at best

I listed at least 8 solid guys who would beat him.

Latest Articles