J'Leon Love Gets Kayoed on "ShoBox"

BY The Sweet Science ON August 31, 2014

leon-love,-rogelio-medina

ROGELIO MEDINA SCORES SHOCKING THIRD-ROUND KNOCKOUT

OVER PREVIOUSLY UNDEFEATED SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT J’LEON LOVE ON SPECIAL SATURDAY EDITION OF SHOBOX: THE NEW GENERATION

Once-Beaten Badou Jack, Unbeaten Ronald Gavril Triumph In Co-Featured Bouts at Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas; Floyd “Money” Mayweather Interviewed During SHOWTIME® Telecast

Catch Replay Monday, Sept. 1, at 10 p.m. ET/PT on SHO EXTREME®

LAS VEGAS (Aug. 31, 2014) – Hard-hitting super middleweight Rogelio “Porky” Medina (33-6, 27 KOs), of Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, registered one of the upsets of the year, knocking out previously unbeaten, world-ranked J’Leon Love (18-1, 10 KOs), of Inkster, Mich., in the third round of a Special Saturday presentation of ShoBox: The New Generation live on SHOWTIME.

After Love missed with a left land, the unheralded Medina countered with a vicious combination of punches to the chin and head that dropped Love face-first to the canvas. Love attempted to get up but referee Tony Weeks stepped in and stopped the fight at 39 seconds into the third round. It was the 123rd time since the series began 13 years ago that an unbeaten fighter suffered his first loss on ShoBox.

Both of Love’s Mayweather Promotions’ “Money Team” teammates were triumphant in their ShoBox fights. Once-beaten Badou Jack (17-1-1, 11 KOs), of Stockholm, Sweden, bounced back from a first-round KO defeat to pitch a near 10-round shutout against Jason Escalera (15-3-1, 12 KOs) of Union City, N.J., and talented Romanian168-pounder Ronald “Thrill” Gavril (10-0, 8 KOs) scored one knockdown en route to an impressive seventh-round TKO over hard-trying Thomas Falowo (12-3, 8 KOs) of Pawtucket, R.I.

“I knew in the beginning that he was going to box so I was focused on cutting off the ring and applying pressure at all time,’’ a jubilant Medina said afterward. “I was very surprised the fight ended like it did when it did. I expected to win but not in this kind of explosive fashion this early in the fight.

“I would love to fight next for the WBC title against champion Anthony Dirrell.’’

Offered ShoBox expert analyst Steve Farhood afterward: “This was a classic case of the fact that no tuneup is ever a fully safe tuneup. Love was on the verge of securing a shot at the world title and, on paper, Medina was the kind of opponent who figured to suit him well style-wise.

“But in a split second, Love hooked with the hooker and when he went down face-first you knew he wasn’t getting up. It was an incredible and unlikely win for Medina and an incredible and severely damaging loss for Love.”

Leon was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for observation. He left on his own recognizance.

Boxing superstar and 11-Time World Champion Floyd Mayweather, whofaces Marcos “El Chino” Maidana in the main event of “MAYHEM: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2” on Saturday, Sept. 13 live on SHOWTIME PPV® from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, watched the nine-bout Mayweather Promotions fight card from ringside. He was interviewed by Farhood after the Gavril-Falowa fight.

“I was impressed with [Ronald] Gavril”, Mayweather said. “He should’ve gone to the body a bit more, but he’s still in the learning stages of his career. I believe that he is a future world champion. Eddie [Mustafa] Muhammad is his trainer, who is one of the best trainers out there. Gavril is still working very hard in the gym so in the future there should be some very good results.

“I think I have gotten much stronger in this training camp [for Maidana rematch]. I’m making sure that my body is stretched the right way. Every camp is different, but I feel comfortable and I’m pretty sure my opponent is ready to fight because I am. All I try to do is to stay positive and get good work in.

“I am able to make adjustments and adapt very, very easily. I’ve made adjustments before, even with my last rematch almost 12 years ago against [Jose Luis] Castillo. I’m in tip top shape and am a lot stronger this fight than when I first fought Maidana. My conditioning is also exactly where it needs to be.

“If you look back at the fight, I think it was very exciting for the first three or four rounds and out of 12 rounds I would say he won three rounds, but I dominated for nine rounds. The fans, critics and people are so used to me winning 11, 12 rounds or knocking a guy out. To have an opponent actually put up a good fight for four rounds [is something that is unusual in a fight of mine]. All throughout the fight I was boxing and being sharp and Maidana was constantly being dirty.

“All I can do is go out there and win and be the best that I can be. I can’t look for any help from the referee. I strictly believe that there will be an even playing field. I want the referee to do his jobs on both ends.

“I feel good, every time I go to training camp I feel good. I think this time I am going to display something totally different from the first fight. I don’t think that age plays a factor. All I have to do is keep my composure, be smart and be the same Floyd Mayweather.

Saturday’s Special ShoBox aired on SHOWTIME immediately following the premiere of “ALL ACCESS: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2” Episode 1 and was screened for Floyd and the fans in attendance inside The Pearl to watch before the televised fights began.

Jack won by the scores 100-90 twice and 99-91. “I didn’t have any nerves going into this fight based off of what happened in my last fight,” he said. “I had a long training camp and we worked on all my mistakes from my last fight. I told everyone that it was just a lucky punch after my lazy jab and I was just caught, stuff happens it’s boxing.

“My defense was the best it has ever been in a fight and that’s a credit to my assistant trainer [former WBA Light Heavyweight Lou De Valle]. He’s like my brother and after the last fight I called him and told him that I needed his help and I know that Leonard [Ellerbe] and Floyd [Mayweather] really like him.

“I love SHOWTIME and I am very blessed and thankful to them for giving me this opportunity. It’s great to fight in my new hometown of Las Vegas.’’

Gavril was pleased after a fine performance in which he turned back a determined bid from Falowo to remain perfect. The fight was stopped by the referee as Gavril was landing one flurry after another of unanswered punches.

“I was very happy with my performance,’’ Gavril said. “I worked very hard for this, and I’m glad it showed. I am especially pleased because I knew I had some Romanian fans in the house. He was very tough and came to win. After I knocked him down in the third, he came back and won the fourth.

“I expected a tough fight and I got it. As always the key for me was patience. I felt I was getting stronger as we went on. I’m absolutely ready for 10 rounds, if the time is right.’’

Falowo was visibly disappointed afterward. “I can’t argue with the stoppage,’’ he said. “I knew I was a little behind but I thought I was doing OK. He caught me with a good shot in the third and buzzed me again in the seventh. I tried to hold on but couldn’t. I’m very disappointed in myself because I definitely felt I was going to win this fight.’’

Saturday’s three-fight telecast will be available at SHOWTIME ON DEMAND® beginning Monday, Sept. 1 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

The Shadow says:

Is it just me or does Jay Love always looks sickly at his weigh-ins?

And what a setback for Love. Ouch!

You would think Floyd would be a tremendous scout yet his fighters tend to come up short when the pressure is on.

Instead of rising to the occasion, seems like they just go ahead and lose bitterly or get KTFO.

Or is it just me?

Deandre Latimore, Badou Jack, Jay Love all got knocked out by guys just there to give them rounds before getting a championship fight.

Chris Pearson almost took a defeat the same night Jack did. He was lucky to escape with that decision.

Then you have Ashley Theophane who lost to Cano and Ishe Smith losing his belt as soon as he got it.

Perhaps it's a reflection of how hard it is to find top, unsigned talent.

Maybe they're just tremendously skilled gym superstars who don't have the mental strength to perform when friends, family, TVs, lights, press, detractors, critics and expectations all come together to freak you the freak out once the bell rings.

I don't know. What I do know is that Floyd either needs to upgrade his stable or spend some money on a Money Team sports shrink.

It is not you. I've said umpteen about J'Love appear to have some type nerve damage. And you are right about certain May weather pugs being gym superstars, but when fight time comes, they wreck cars.

They need to spar less. You have a lot of fighters who are like that. They spar so much that at fightime they are sick-arse beaching themselves whales.

J'Love had no boxing ratio. He was moving like a bytch because he was literally disoriented in seeing incoming shot. His vision was shot. This syet happens to fighters who spar too much in the same gym and setting all the time. Holla!

thegreyman says:

If Dirrell can slap you around so easily you know you're not going too far.

JLeon Love just beat a tough Mexican named Periban who just barely missed earning a title against Bika a year ago.... and was in a very competitive fight against Rosario.

Just goes to show you how inevitable it is to get tagged....HARD.....in a boxing match.

Its going to happen at some point in a fighters career as standout boxers such as Wlad K and Manny Paquiao can attest.

When your in the ring against a man who works 100 plus hour per week for the sole purpose of hitting his opponent in the face as hard as he possibly can we can expect these type of results.

I commend Mayweather for supporting his fighters but he won't have many more opportunities to light hundred dollar bills on fire with his current crop of fighters.

Its ironic that Floyd had consistently matched Love tough against the likes of Derrick Findley, Rosario and Periban ...only to have him pass those tests but fail against a guy who was supposed to be a walkover.

From the start of the fight it was clear that Love was expending way too much energy by skipping and bounding around the ring as if Medina had a bale hook in one hand and a machete in the other.

He gave his man way too much respect.
And then his fight-back instincts finally kick in when his back is against the turnbuckle while he was stuck in a position of limited movement.

BJack also fought a tentative fight in a largely unentertaining bout.
Thank God these guys won't be on the PPV.
Cruz and Bey are much more entertaining fighters to watch.

Floyd is not going to be able to retire from his day job with these slowly developing and possibly regressing prospects.

Which leads me to wonder..... after hearing so much about the training culture at the Mayweather gym....which is effectionately known as the Dog Pound, ......if these guys aren't beating the crap out of each other during the sparring process "Before" the fight.

As good as Mayweather is you just naturally expect his fighters to be a cut above.

J'Love got nailed because no fire did he spray on the on-rushing pug. Or he could've given him a flaming hug. And then CHOP, CHOP, POP! Close up shop. Holla!

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Love is a good journeyman. Nothing more, nothing less!

stormcentre says:

Perhaps his result has something to do with his last positive test.

The Shadow says:

Perhaps his result has something to do with his last positive test.

Hmm, could be but I actually think this is mental jitterbugs. The dude is fragile mentally.

He is from Detroit, where those jokers will eat a sensitive, mental weakling alive. And he left that place because of that. I, too, believe that much of his problem is a mental one. He is not nasty mean. So Medina just bum rushed him, and crushed him like a jelly bean. Holla!

Love has always been terrible. He is sub par, by far.

Perhaps his result has something to do with his last positive test.

Love tested positive for a diuretic (water pill)...he shouldn't have to resort to heavy urination to make 168, at least he looks comfortable at the weight.

I think Love's failure has to do with the competitive gym culture at Floyd's gym....

Dudes beating each other up for bragging rights. At any rate it'll be a while before he gets his ranking back.. If ever.

Denise Alvarez says:

In response to Mayweather's comments about fans are used to seeing him winning 11, 12 rounds and knocking guys out: You mean us fans are used to seeing you running, ducking, and avoiding getting hit for 12 rounds. I have never seen Mayweather fight toe to toe with anyone except Maidana in their last bout.l remember when Mayweather sneakily cold cocked Victor Ortiz when Ortiz wasn't looking and knocked him out. Is that the knockout he is referring to? Maidana almost finished Mayweather the last time, and l hope he does it this time!!

He will be back in a single fight or two. He just got caught. As you said, it happens to many -- to most. It comes with the territory. The whuppin' the jive outta one another in the gym will halt with him. Holla!

Sorry! But it ain't going to be. Money May will win or draw by a repeat of the last dance. Holla!

stormcentre says:

Yes that's right - but diuretics also mask other PEDs and PES, and are commonly used in conjunction with them these days.

There's a lot of boxers from TMT that have been busted for diuretics and/or PEDs.

flackoguapo says:

He's a tricky one! Mayweather is one of craftiest out there who doesn't need to beat you up to get the W. He will anticipate Maidanas punches this time around IMO, and it might be a bit more of a dull fight. I hope Maidana makes it a more competitive fight but I don't know how much I buy that he only trained 5 weeks for the last bout. If that is somehow true then I can see him having big confidence boost and comfort but regardless Maidana is as game as they get he will fight tooth and nail(literally) to land that bomb that will burst the Money bank.

The Commish says:

If he truly is fragile mentally, think how fragile he's going to be now! It'll make for some good talk on the show tonight!

-Randy G.

SouthPawFlo says:

Boxing is a tough sport, one mistake can send your career into a downward spiral and send you face first to the canvass. It's extremely difficult to climb the ranks and make it to a world title, and J. Love was just another example of the many guys who thought they were on the cusp of stardom only to end up on the wrong side of a KO...

Hopefully he regains his confidence and comes back a better fighter but most times when guys get stopped like that they are damaged goods for the rest of their career.....

The kid went through hell and back in da real-life Detroit's "Black Bottom."

What happened to him in dat squared jungle was child play. He will be back stronger and lasting longer. Great lesson learned. Law of the squared jungle:

Don't pull straight back from a fast-rushing attack. Turn him by moving side to side. And dat sucka, you wack, hack and sack.

Hit him in the armpit. Da fast-advancing pug will slow down because he will have to $h¥t. Holla!

The Commish says:

Showtime's Steve Farhood will be joining Gerry Cooney, The Shadow & me on today's show to talk about J-Love.

-Randy G.

True ... I recall Bey was using testosterone along with a couple of others. Just as many or more fighters have been caught using at the Wild Card and in Oxnard.....there seems to be a pattern at work. And the trainer/coach/promoter affiliations are all over the place.

Not true! Five fighters -- two trained by Top Notch Trainer "Ready" Freddie "No Joke Coach" Roach and two trained by Rob "Grandpa" Garcia -- have come up dirty in the last two years. Of the pugs training at the Mayweather Gym, 12 -- 5 trained by Pop Joys May, 4 by Uncle Roger and 3 by Eddie Mustafa Muhammad -- have come up dirty in the last two years. The dirtiest pug in history is Mickey Bey with a ratio of 30 to 1.

And people on that syet are not all over the place. They are in the gyms where it is a culture of believing in dat syet. And they mainly believe in it for eye candy bodies. The jive does not help one's fight game.

In Cali -- SoCal and NoCal -- there are umpteen gyms where not a single fighter has been caught on that syet. The pugs at the Plex Gym in Texas aren't being caugh with that jive. In Arizona, fighters being catch with that syet is nearly non existence.

Talking heads and pug haters are exaggerating the usage of dat syet in boksing circles. Once a newbie, immature fighter get whipped, he shytcans dat syet, because he realizes that peddlers of it just took his hard-earned money.

Just as U.S. mainland society is making marijuana legal, boksing should let usage of roids and PEDs became legal. That would stop the lies of dat syet making incredible fighting machines that can severely cripple and/or kill pugs.

In the words of Money May and Uncle Roger, it is "hard work, dedication" and "skills dat pays da bills," not dat syet.

Da syet is dandy for giving you a body that is eye candy. But for helping you with talent and skills, dat syet is far from handy. Holla!

The Shadow says:

LOL that was freakin' hilarious! Speaking of dandy eye candy, you think Dandy Landy is on it?! Have you seen his body lately?!? RIPPED! No body fat. Muscles protruding finely. Vascularity even.

I don't suspect him but since you mention going for the eye candy look.

There are dozens of fighters RG in the last decade who have tested positive in Roaches gym alone, Some dating back before Pacquioa even joined Freddy ... It doesn't necessarily mean Roach provided any PEDs He says he was never involved.. ...but its obvious that many guys have tried to use PEDs to get an edge.... Its part of the culture.

They were not a part of the gym. They were boksing gym-traveling hobos. The only gym boksing regulars testing positive were "Lights out" Toney and this other cat that I cannot think of. Roids and PEDs users avoid the Wildcard Gym because their bubbles are burst as soon as they are handed their arses in beat down workouts and sparring sessions. Even the MMA users are dat suet are now staying away from Wild card arse thrashings.

And yes! As I've said a million times, sampling and cycling of that syet has been in boksing for 50 years or so. And dummies are slucked by da gawd@mn peddlers selling shortcut dreams. Holla!

I don't suspect him but since you mention going for the eye candy look.

Landy is a genetic freak in the form of the late, great Kenny Norton, Mike "Hercules" Weaver, his triple brothers, Aaron "Superman" Davis and John Mugabe, to name a few.

They all apparently have African Mandingo genes that give them natural eye candy bodies to da maximum. Even their women are pure muscle fine like that. And those bytches have never given my high-yellow arse any action.

They holla at my 6-foot-4 little brother who shunned boxing. They give me the little man GTFOH! Holla!

deepwater2 says:

Floyd's security team looks so juiced up ,it must be in the air in the Mayweather gym. Floyd should never touch them or he might fail a test.

flackoguapo says:

Lmao. Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that one of those guys breath would contaminate the rooms atmosphere and make Floyd fail a test.

If Mayweather bodyguards are PEDs what are they using them for? To promote Stomach growth?
Those guys are fat and borderline obese except one or two.

Floyd just feels more secure amidst that bullets stopping wall of flesh

This card is being replayed tonight in 15 minutes on Showtime for those of us that missed it.

The Shadow says:

If Mayweathers bodyguards are on PEDs what are they using them for? To promote Stomach growth?
Those guys are fat and borderline obese except one or two.

Floyd just feels more secure amidst that bullets stopping wall of flesh

I'm crying here HAHAHAHAHAHA

Those jokers were talking smack to chino and garcia.....dudes are a joke

deepwater2 says:

Those jokers were talking smack to chino and garcia.....dudes are a joke

Those are the clowns that are juiced ! Calling Garcia a rag doll . Garcia said muscles don't impress him.

I'm crying here HAHAHAHAHAHA

They are like James "Lights Out" Toney. They don't have Mandingo muscular genetics, but "Kakwa" big belly ones. This ethnic tribe of black Africans -- the late Idi Amin Dada was one -- are belly thick, not belly flat and muscular like Mandingo tribemen and some of the other ethnic tribes with that built.

How well you look after taking roids have a lot to do with your diet and genetics. I know a whole lot of steroid-taking AmerKano footballers built just like Money Money's monster squad of beefy security guards. Primarily, a lot of the Asiatic Samoans are like that way. And somo wrestlers are that way. Holla!

Grandpa Rob used to beat the syet outta on-dat-syet muscles who thought that they wanted to box and could beat boksingeros with dat hyped-up more-than-martial-arts-movies syet. Dat syet gives no one kiss-arse abilities.

I've knocked so many giant roid monster da double fudge out that I've lost count. Those giants are for prevention, not protection. This is why you don't see the secret services maddog killas of the politicians looking like them. Those giants are just a Money May sideshow thing. Dude is an artmaster at steal publicity and intrigue. Holla!

Yep they are clueless. lifting weights and being strong has nothing to do with fighting..

oubobcat says:

I thought Love lost to Rosado and Periban. I never thought he was elite talent as he was being built up as.

But that said, no way did I think Medina would spring this upset. I actually thought if there was an upset possible on this card it would be on the Badou Jack-Jason Escalera fight. Of course, that turned out to be one sided for Jack.

Love and Medina kind of felt each other out in the first and then in the 2nd Medina's pressure started to get to Love. You could see the pressure having an impact on Love and it was smart pressure in that Medina was easily cutting the ring off. And that pressure helped trap Love in the corner in the third to set up that left hook that flattened Love.

In boxing, there are knockouts that you can come back from and knock outs that are very tough to come back from. Badou Jack for example appears to have been caught cold in his KO loss six months ago. That is a KO loss that can be come back from. Love, though, was broken down mentally by the pressure and absolutely drilled with a left hook in the 3rd round that left him out of it. This will be a KO loss that will be very difficult to come back from for Love in my opinion.

stormcentre says:

WTF . . all that talk and JLL runs for 3 rounds and then drops his right hand when in the corner and not gassed.

Far out man.

I try not to laugh at a guy that tries and loses out.

But there are some really, less than spectacular thoughts and moves there.

Not sure what else to say.

Not sure what Floyd would think of that, coming from TMT gym and all that.

Come on man, JLL was thinking defence so much he wasn’t even in range when throwing; he was pulling back that conscientiously.

There's a vid of JLL sparring Dirrell on the InterWeb and that gives a pretty good example of the JLL dudes potential.

stormcentre says:

Here it is . . . . .

Carmine Cas says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;62542]Is it just me or does Jay Love always looks sickly at his weigh-ins?

No Ellerbe looks like the one who just cut weight poorly[/QUOTE]

Didn't Arias just test positive for something a few weeks ago?

The Shadow says:

Are y'all seeing Floyd's new security boys talking mad sh*t right now?

Jersey Shore, mutant looking suckers. Look like Paulie Malignaggi bathed in mutagen and turned into that. Or maybe like Michael Buffer when he morphs into [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNefdJ3ntPA">Rumbleman!

These boys think they're cutting a WWE promo while they look like Chippendale rejects who are trying a little too hard to act macho. "If you touch Floyd, we touch you!"

You know they can't fight. They'll gas in two seconds. "Rumble man TIRED!"

I'm just waiting for Booker T to pop out and say, "HULK HOGAN! We comin' for you, *****!"

Anyway, here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKy1iKPDlVk#t=1587

deepwater2 says:

Those two are the gentleman I referred to as being so juiced up, that Floyd will fail a drug test if he touches them.

Those two are going to over-react, make a big mistake and cost Floyd some lawsuit money. Fire them Floyd.

stormcentre says:

Yes, agreed.

Geniuses aren't they?

They're certainly not going to win any scholarships soon.

And of course they can't (seriously) body build the connection their jaw has to its skull enough to change their reaction to a good two or three punch combination.

But then - in a true rock n roll touring sense where there was always someone that took the risk of flying with the drugs for the band; in return for the "benefits" of the free ride and constant parties - who else will (and is "clever" enough) to carry the juice from state/country to state/country and take the fall for it, on all these road and promotional trips (that are no doubt the last opportunity to go hard before the testing phase/cycle begins that allows everyone to say they do their bit for the sport)?

Whoops, sorry, made that sound like Floyd needs someone to carry his sack around.

Of course he doesn't.