Can the Congressman Still Kayo?

BY Aaron Lowinger ON August 28, 2014

Pacquiao_Algieri

Earlier this month, trainer and de facto spokesperson for eight-division champion Manny Pacquiao, Freddie Roach, dismissed Chris Algieri as a “boxer who has a good jab, but is nothing special. Pacquiao is going to have to press him a bit and will probably knock him out.”

If the pre-fight hype follows form, you can expect Roach to beat the kayo drum louder and louder in the coming weeks as the fight draws near. Equal parts coach and boxing holy man, Roach preaches knockouts to Pacquiao’s flock of fists.

But the sheep have gone astray.

The hype pattern from Freddie is firmly established during the Congressman’s stoppage drought that goes all the way back to the November 2009 meeting with Miguel Cotto.

Before Pacman’s last fight against Bradley: "I don't know the Bible well, but I've had people research it for me. There's a lot of war, a lot of violence, a lot of killer instinct in there. It's been four years since he had a knockout, and I told Manny, 'That's why your paydays are getting are lower and the pay-per-view audiences (have dropped off some). That's what people really wanna see, they wanna see knockouts."

To reporters before the Rios fight: “We’ll definitely go for a knockout. Manny still gets what it takes to regain his status and that what we will be proving in this fight against Rios.”

Heading into the fourth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez: “It has to be a knockout. That’s what we are working on in the gym.”

In training for the first fight against Tim Bradley in 2012: “Well I think Manny will have a spectacular win. The fans want to see a knockout; I want to see a knockout.”

And before the third fight with Marquez: “I want Manny to knock him out.”

You get the point.

As fight fans know, even when the boxing gods smile upon us and give us good judges, decisions can be problematic. Truly great stories need solid endings. Countless many of the great fights in boxing history owe their legends to the definitive stoppage that ended them. Before Pacquiao’s power paucity began, he made a name for himself by moving up in weight and taking his power with him against Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, and Miguel Cotto. Since Pacquiao’s banner 2009, his signature moment is lying face down on the canvass from a Juan Manuel Marquez counter right that landed as Manny was moving forward looking for the kill.

A knockout is much more than a statistic; it represents a fighter becoming injured so severely, whether to the body or head, that they become virtually defenseless. In a more callous age, it would signify a pugilist’s total undoing. Now divorced from its macabre history, a knockout is now something a boxer can almost always survive, though not without potentially suffering from concussion or bloody urine. There's no way to sugarcoat the violence of boxing as something other than what it is: a test of mortality.

The reason Freddie Roach won't stop talking knockout is that the human drama of boxing is strongest when there is one. And with compelling drama comes great reward. You have to wonder how much more attention boxing could be getting from casual fans if the two biggest players in the Grand Theater of boxing, Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, were consistently hurting their opponents in the ring.

Almost perfectly coincidental with Pacquiao's apparent mercy inside the ring is his nascent political career in the Philippines. The same year Manny was elected to Congress in 2010, he fought boxing's villain du jour in Antonio Margarito. Outweighing Pacquiao by seventeen pounds on fight night, Margarito greedily ate hundreds of Filipino power punches without going down. In the eleventh round, Pacquiao looked at referee Laurence Cole twice as if to say, “You're going to let this happen?” In the twelfth, Pacquiao appeared to carry Margarito, granting the Mexican who has been busted in 2009 for using plaster of Paris in his hand wraps a sporting reprieve from the punishment many believed he justly deserved. During the broadcast, HBO's Jim Lampley observed: “This is not Manny Pacquiao the fighter. This is Manny Pacquiao the Congressman, Manny Pacquiao the cultural icon, Manny Pacquiao the citizen of the world.”

One must remember that the reason the Filipino Fist started his career at flyweight was mostly due to malnourishment. Manny's world has turned inside out in the meantime; it's only natural that his relationship to very vehicle of his success would have changed too. His most recent fight against Tim Bradley was something of a work of art despite his inability to knock Tim Bradley down. The greatest offensive fighter of the era is still hungry to perform well despite his inability to land the big one.

Of course Freddie Roach has a financial incentive to promote his biggest client's fights with guarantees of knockouts. But for a guy who lives, sleeps, and breathes boxing the Roach does, his philosophy is bigger than his already stuffed wallet. He wants to remind Pacquiao that he only has one shot to write his legend into fistic history, and each knockout is an exclamation point on the most accomplished résumé in boxing today.

Chris Algieri is a tall, slick boxer with a defensive style that poses a challenge to an aggressive fighter like Pacquiao, and maybe not a prime candidate to bust Manny’s slump. This would not have mattered to the version of Pacquiao circa 2008, who would have knocked almost any fighter out, much less one far below his class like Algieri. That fighter may be gone for good, despite Freddie’s best efforts to summon the fighter back out of the politician.

--- Photo Credit : Chris Farina - Top Rank

deepwater2 says:

PAC has to eat some jabs for a round or two and fade back. When CA gets some bravado and steps forward that's the time MP must duck under and step to the side while firing a straight and a hook. If he tries chasing CA down he might get out pointed with no opportunity to land a combo. The old plan of taking some to give some will win the day.

I'm putting my money on C-Al going to sleep EARLY! He does not have boksing moves. He's stuck in Kickboxing. And moves like he is doing the old dance known as the robot. His jab is a pushing peck, not a shot or a blast. Every time he push pecks it, he is going to get check.

As he moves he will be off balance, and easy to reach and challenge. It is nothing sophisticated about him. He is so very simple. Da Manny is going to pop him like a big, long pimple.

Wow! On C-Al, there is some "High Hopes." But around him, there are a few dopes. I heard those he bytches calling us a bunch of slopes.

I forgive them because they know not what what they say. In dat squared jungle is where they will pay.

With C-Al, we have no time to play. Out EARLY, C-Al is going to lay [$¡¢]. Holla!

thegreyman says:

I think a TKO is highly likely.

The Commish says:

I think a TKO is highly likely.

Do you really think Chris Algieri will KO the Congressman?

-Randy G.

Froggy says:

If Provodnikov ca put Algieri on the seat of his pants, I think the odds of Manny scoring a KO or at least a stoppage by the ref are very high !

Scar says:

Depends if he's still interested in Boxing. Clearly Pacquiao has shown that he lost the fire lately and it's not easy to get it back especially when he has been doing this for so long and accomplished more than enough.

Scar says:

I think it depends more on Pacquiao's style in this fight, if he's aggressive then he might score knockdowns or even hurt Algieri. I highly doubt Pacquiao will be all-out aggressive as he once was able to. After the KO to Marquez it has been clear that he's more of a Boxer puncher in there than a fully aggressive fighter. I'm not expecting any knockdowns or knockouts in this but anything is possible.

Regarding Provodnikov being able to knock down Algieri, he was also able to knock down and serious hurt Bradley. While Pacquiao completely outclassed Bradley twice(in my view and nearly everyone else) he never knocked him down.

Froggy says:

Good point about the Bradley comparison Scar, I never even thought of it ! But Bradley did fight both guys differently and even fought Manny differently each time !

Not even close. There is so much fire that Mindanao is burning. So will be the arse of C-Al when the Mindanao Mauler Manny torch it.

Da Manny is now 3m. Holla!

Scar says:

Da Manny is now 3m. Holla!

What?

The hyped-up "High Hopes" C-Al will get KTFO. He is no Cali Cranium Crusher Bradley or Hulkquez or Marquez. He is no boxer PERIOD! He is a kick boxer that has not, and will not, transition to elite boxing. I'm not impress with these umpteen optical illusions being done for him.

He didn't beat the Siberian Rocky. And Bradley tried to kayo tSR early. Now that is what happen. Three M is going to catch C-Al early and easily and put his hyped-up arse viciously to sleep. November is Thanksgiving not gift giving. C-Al will not get a gift anything in Macau.

He is in a place that he shouldn't be. And that's WHY on November 22 USA time, he will see.

OOPS! My BAD! On that day, in dat squared jungle, he will end up seeing the pitch black of the inside of his eyelids. Great created promotion is going on, because a whole lot of things about about him have been hid [$¡¢].

After the fight, for the gloves that 3m kayo him with, I will put in a bid.

You have a whole lot of Yanks really believing C-Al has a chance. And now his arse is in a trance. And he's actually believing that he is going make this bout 3m's last dance. Dat sucka C-Al is headstrong. Because he is sure not Armstrong. And Imma leave that alone. He wouldn't be on the stuff of Lance.

Hehe! Holla!

Scar says:

After the fight, for the gloves that 3m kayo him with, I will put in a bid.

Hehe! Holla!

Yeah, I also scored the fight for Provodnikov. I personally thought that the challenger didn't do enough to TAKE the title from the champion who was constantly making the fight live and active.

The Commish says:

Learn my version of "High Hopes." After C-Al's victory over Da' Manny, I want you to come on my show and sing it, Radam. It'll make a great segment!

-Randy G.

-Randy G.

Hehehe! Funny as heck. I must teach how to sing "Bebot." Or maybe "Bayan Ako." Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Yes he can still kayo, but against Algieri I don't think so.

The Commish says:

Yes he can still kayo, but against Algieri I don't think so.

We're in the minority, here, CC.

As I am calling for an Algieri win, I'm in a pool by myself on this great site.

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

We're in the minority, here, CC.

As I am calling for an Algieri win, I'm in a pool by myself on this great site.

-Randy G.

I see a toss-up. I would slightly favor Pacquiao based on experience and surprisingly impressive in-ring IQ for a guy who used to have very little.

Froggy, do you think the current Pacquiao packs a better punch than Provodnikov?!

Tim Bradley himself, who's one of the few to take punches from both, says no.

Provodnikov is heavy-handed. That means he can hurt you with one shot.

In order to hurt Chris, who has quite the dog in him, Pacquiao has to connect with consecutive clean shots on the defensively adept Algieri.

I doubt that happens.

I see a surprisingly close fight with closely contested rounds (kinda like The Moment) in which Manny gets the nod by a relatively comfortable margin.

The decision will leave people talking like they got something to smack (talk).

But as usual, nothing will come out as they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish, mother******* will act like they Forgot About Pac.

The Good Doctor says:

Commish,

You shall not venture on this journey alone. I think Algieri actually dances away with a SD.

teaser says:

Commish,

the difference is in the mobility of Manny compared to Ruslan …dance though he may Chris is in for a beating …too many angles ,feints and when he gets caught Manny will finish him ….just hope Manny doesn't get to friendly with the guy and so not want to hurt him and let him off the hook …or figure he can box with this tall kid …he's got to be aggressive

Froggy says:

Yeah Shadow, I think Manny packs a harder punch than Ruslan !Tim Bradley, he of the iron chin, goes toe to toe with Ruslan, for some reason he does not do that with Manny ! He fought Manny twice, he never went toe to toe with hm, Manny hits harder and not one at a time, he hits from all angles and does not stand still compared to Ruslan I don't really see much of a comparison between the two ! Algeire [sic] will get a nice payday and nothing else !

The Shadow says:

I believe the man, he's an honest guy.

Ditto ...PAC had Bradley..Rios, Margarito, Mosely and Clottey hurt at least once in his past five fights... There is no question he can still punch. The only question is ...
Does he have the motivation?

PAC isn't going to let anybody else get a gift decision. If he sees his chance I think he'll go for the merciful stoppage. Instead of a punishing twelve round drubbing.

Commish,

Hehehehe! Hey, TGD, you better watch that nurse. She sneaked some bad drugs in the cleaning water of your hands.

C-Al has no rhythm or rhyme. His dance is a bad version of the robot. He would be arrested on the dance floor, smacked upside da noggin and banned for life.

I wish I had some herbs and remedies to help him, but I don't. Three m is going to mug C-Al in Macau. If you think that Hulkquez put Da Manny to sleep badly. And Da Manny put "Slicky" Ricky Hatton to sleep madly. You ain't seen nuffin' [$¡¢] yet.

Because of many Yanks' hate and stereotypes of Asians being Kung Fu junkies, against Da Manny, they still bet. Three m is going to put C-Al down like a very ill, suffering pet.

I've told you guys that C-Al has no boksing savvy or flow. He's like three types of winds that blow --- light, medium and heavy. The dude is topsy-turvy.

He's doesn't initiate or is proactive. He's reactive to every darn thing in dat squared jungle. In other words, like the old timers say: "he over thinks, he stinks, but he believes that he is smart. And he playing some type of ordained part. He should have not gotten an opportunity from the start. This is what happens when you give a gift to someone who has no skills, but a lot of heart."

Dude is being so tar babied that it is a shame. Boksing is not his game. WTF! Every Pac-hater and C-Al hoper -- probably dope smoker [Hehehe! Just kidding] -- are talking about C-Al has a PhD in upset!

GTGOH! You will witness a massacre from Macau on your TV set. Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

GTGOH! You will witness a massacre from Macau on your TV set. Holla!

Radam, even if when I don't agree with you, your posts are absolutely classic. Your post made my head hurt, made me laugh, and put my tongue in a knot.

I get you guys point of view but here is why I think Algieri has a legitimate shot:

-Algieri is long and I mean real long. Unlike a dumb Margarito who never tried to back Manny off with his jab, Algieri will do so. Any boxing person in the know will tell you that if you have a reach advantage but not a speed advantage, your jab is your best friend.

-Most of Manny's success, especially recently, is against guys who stay in the pocket and are either square or straight forward fighters. Algieri will not give him a target at all because he will not be still. Some would argue that Bradley moved, but if you watch closely Bradley is often flat footed and very much within trading distance during their two bouts. Manny has not faced a guy that will run in more than 5 years.

-Algieri is flat awkward. I don't care who you are but anytime a guy is prancing around the ring like a pony, almost unrolls his jab and has no real rhythm to what he does, he becomes a task to prepare for.

-Manny has feints and angles and punch rhythms and arrays of combos for days. I would argue that Manny is the best combo puncher of the last 20 years(respect to RJJ, Shane Mosely, Marquez) That stuff is only effective if you get to use them. Algieri in no way shape or form will trade with Manny. We will not see many combos from either fighter.

-Manny can be hit. This matters because Manny's immaculate timing can be thrown off with a well placed jab or straight right. Hence why he struggles with Marquez. That is alot easier to do if you can do it from a distance which Algieri can.

So with all that said, my bold prediction is Algieri by split decision, 115-113 twice in favor of Chris. On top that, I will say that he will not even wobble Manny nor will Algieri get wobbled. On top of that there will be a rematch and Manny will KO him in 6 the second time around.

Carmine Cas says:

We're in the minority, here, CC.

As I am calling for an Algieri win, I'm in a pool by myself on this great site.

-Randy G.

I foresee Algieri winning. And then when Manny and Floyd fight in the future, Floyd will blame the loss on the catchweight. Hahahaha. But I wouldn't put all my money on it. Pacquiao has become a smarter fighter, it's going to be interesting to see how he deals with the mobility of Algieri.

Carmine Cas says:

I do agree Bradley isn't the best barometer but he does provide some insight regarding the punching power of Ruslan and Manny. In the second half of Pacquiao-Bradley II, correct me if I'm wrong but Bradley was being foolish and looking to load up shots to nail Pacquiao with, not necessarily engaging "toe-to-toe" but he pretty much threw caution to the wind and swung for the fences. Manny easily evaded Bradley's poor strategy and made him pay. There was one point where Pacquiao had Bradley on the ropes and landed 9 or 10 consecutive punches. Bradley was hurt, but Ruslan bludgeoned him when they fought and hurt him far worse putting him down twice.

But that's pretty much where the similarities end, Ruslan is one dimensional and Manny is a more versatile boxer-puncher who is fighting smarter as grows older. Bradley had success the first half backing Manny up and even hurting him with his "pillow hands". Manny has problems with mobile fighters who utilize lateral movement, Algieri fits that mold but can he pull of the game plan against Manny who has a plethora of experience? Possibly, stay tuned!

Carmine Cas says:

Topsy-turvy is a good way of illustrating how Algieri moves out after he covers up or throws a combination. He tilts his head to the direction of where he's going and his feet are still in the same place for a split second.

I agree with the Good Doctor. Algieri was a shot to pull the upset. He is long and awkward and displayed toughness beating Provodnikov. Pac is old and fading. Bad style matchup for Da Manny. This will be a close fight with no knockdowns.

C-Al will get KTFO. He's no boxer. He has no range. What you are taking about I find strange. What rangy fighter ever in the game does he compare to? He has no jab or stab. He's just a tall, hecky-jecky, pecky-mecky slab. He has no stick. He ain't quick. He is just your homie, and that is why his arse you pick. But he's going to be crushing losing d¡¢k.

C'mon man! Luv! American $tyle is what it is about. For any AmerKano, against 3m you will shout.

What A-level fighter has ¢-Al ever fought? That is what I thought! NONE! Wow! I find you guys always getting on the band wagon about somebody who is "going to beat" 3m/Da Manny.

Rios was "dangerous" and was going to end Da Manny's career, tR.

Trifling-arse Bradley who never beat Da Manny was suppose to beat him "last time" or "again," you know who you are.

Now 3m/Da Manny is "old and fading." And a sucka that has no boksing savvy or abilities, who started boxing at 25 years old is going to defeat one of the best ever. ¢-Al has a better chance of winning a lotto of $500mil twice in a year.

This so-called "PhD of (boksing) upsets," is a gift-getting charity case rolling on to the Chinese Island of Macau to be executed.

Homie patriotism has straight-up given you dudes a bad case of inattention blindness and gold-rush fever for Chris. But he ain't gonna even worth fools gold.

He's gonna get knocked out cold. But much luv for him, you guys continue to hold. Constantly saying that every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to beat 3m/Da Manny is so bold. Every single time out, 3m/Da Manny is going to lose, you guys can easily be sold. Holla!

I agree with the Good Doctor. Algieri has a shot to pull the upset. He is long and awkward and displayed toughness beating Provodnikov. Pac is old and fading. Bad style matchup for Da Manny. This will be a close fight with no knockdowns.

He showed toughness getting up. And lasting to get a gift decision. He fought to go the distant, not to win. And in Macau, he will not do it again. He is getting KTFO! The last lightweight/light welterweight that 3m/Da Manny fought, he kayoed. Holla!

Latest Articles