Algieri Isn't Playing Tourist in China: "This Is Work Time"

BY Michael Woods ON August 26, 2014

Pacquiao_Algieri

The trek to China has been so far, so good for Long Island boxer Chris Algieri, who seeks to cement what would be a Fighter of the Year sort of campaign if he pulls off shocker number two in 2014, and downs Manny Pacquiao in Macau on Nov. 22.

The Huntington Heartthrob took to the air late Thursday night, and sat through the 17 hours of travel time so he could make the Monday presser in Macau, so the drums to hype the fight could be beaten appropriately. Shanghai comes after Macau, then San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New York.

The trip went well, though there were some butterflies in his belly when he went to get the bag in which he'd placed his WBO junior welterweight belt.

He unzipped it, and voila, there it was, gleaming, the smell of the leather reminding him of what he'd done once, confounded the experts by beating a heavily favored foe.

"I was nervous, but it's all good," Algieri told me.

And did he get to do some sightseeing, check out Macau much? (Keep in mind Macau is 12 hours ahead of his time zone, East Coast USA.) "It's packed all day long at the Venetian (where he is staying)," he said. "The gym employees were ecstatic I was here. I took pictures with about 10 guys."

Sunday was a day off, to stroll, check out the lay of the land. In theory, Algieri could have gone bar hopping, soaking up the local culture in liquid form, while enjoying attention of curious and appreciative lovelies who might like to get to know an American boxing champ up close. But so sorry, those looking to snag a vicarious thrill…He reported he did some sight seeing, but hammered home that this is a non-leisure trip. "I brought my boots and gloves."

Sure, he took note of the crew of lithe and bubbly pro dancers from England who are there in Macau, on contract…but he didn't do all that much exploring of the region. "I really checked out the lay of the land at the Venetian. I made a mental checklist of how to approach my time out here in November," said Algieri, who will spend the last couple weeks before the bout to best acclimate to the time zone and atmosphere.

Macau vet Freddie Roach, the trainer for Manny Pacquiao, and the man who cornered Ruslan Provodnikov June 14 in Brooklyn, when Algieri shook off two knockdowns and rebounded to set in motion a pure pugilism program, using movement and volume to take rounds, has been kind enough to share some of his info. "Freddie gave us a tour of the restaurants in the hotel," he said.

I don't think Roach had any ulterior motive, wasn't looking to assess Algieri's physique and attitude, or kill him with kindness, try to blunt his fire. No, he knows what the Long Islander can do. "I underestimated Algieri when he faced Ruslan Provodnikov in June but I won't make that mistake again," Roach said at the Macau presser. "I hope he understands that this is a fight and not a marathon. Algieri is going to face the best of Manny Pacquiao because Manny is going to have his toughest training camp ever. I am looking forward to a great fight and Manny's finest hour on November 22."

So, in summation, it sounds like for Algieri, gameface is attached, and there is no inclination to soak up the experience as part tourist, then?

"Exactly," Algieri told me. "This is work time."

Follow Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

Froggy says:

If he was going to allow himself any distractions in Macau, now is the time, he better not have any distractions in November if he has any plans of going the distance !

deepwater2 says:

That eye still looks a bit damaged to me. Is that why he bought such a big watch and is he asking the photographer what time it is?

If Pac can get past the jab he will chop Chris A down. That is the question. Can he get past the jab ? I don't know.

I would not expect Algieri to emulate Kelly Pavlik by imbibing the local spirits ...neither would I expect any motivated fighter to invest his free time indulging in recreational brothel hopping or partaking in casual sex in the weeks leading up to the fight.

Not if said fighter wants to be the champ.

But there's nothing wrong with taking in the scenery after the daily workout.

People are starting to believe in AC and thinks has a real chance.

Anything is possible but personally I think an upset is extremely unlikely. If not totally impossible.
Might as well smell the cherry blossoms while he's there.

Froggy says:

I agree if a boxer, any boxer wants to reach their potential they have to resist temptations and exercise great discipline, at least for a few weeks leading up to a fight ! I wonder though, how some of the all time greats like Mickey Walker, Ketchel, and many others of that era ever did so well ? Maybe their opponents in the those days had similar training habits !

deepwater2 says:

Women can weaken the knees more then any drink.

Mickey Walker is my favorite boxer old time boxer.

Mickey Walker drank in training, in the locker room before the fight, during the fight,in the locker room after the fight,at the after party and in the parking lot before the street fight.

A lot of old time boxers drank and a lot of boxers today drink much more then they will ever tell you.

In the old days boxers drank beer and ate steak during their training camps and they did OK

The Commish says:

I saw Chris a few days before he left on the tour with Manny Pacquiao and the crew.

His eye looked fine to me.

-Randy G.

The Commish says:

His eye looked fine to me.

-Randy G.

His eye looked fine to me.

-Randy G.

Because of your mad luv for C-Al, you have a make-him-perfect syndrome and inattention blindness. Ev'ybodee and dey momma and four of dey ¢o¢k-eyed Chinese cousins can see residue of damage all up C-Al's eye socket. It looks like he was looking up in the sky and down came a firecracker rocket.

KaZUK! Straight to the eye socket, while he's holding a lucky-charm locket. It didn't do him any good, so it should have been in his pocket.

He shoulda' and coulda' hollered at Julio Cesar Chavez Sr about what type of eye-and-face makeup did the great JCCS used back in the day when his eye was damaged in training before the dance with Big Money Oscar.

Sorry, Commish! But if you've been LAAAAIIIIDDDD BACK! And sippin' juice and eating bat soup, QUIT QUICKLY! That bat soup will make blind as a bat. Hehehehehe! Just jokin!'

But what have you been smokin?' [LOUD giggle from me and my nosey-arse barkada -- posse -- lookin' over my shoulders trying to read my sonic iTablet keyboarding.] Holla!

Froggy says:

His eye looked fine to me.

-Randy G.

If you say his eye looked fine, I have no doubt it did look fine !

If you say his eye looked fine, I have no doubt it did look fine !

Wow! I'm smelling a still-injured-eye excuse coming from Team C-Al after Da Manny knocks him out. Holla!

Froggy says:

No excuse from me, I will be be shocked if Manny does not stop him !

thegreyman says:

Ain't no way in hell Algieri is gonna win even 1 round against Pac- he's the man I can't pick, and with this sport he wont stick!

He's lucked himself into this fight- now he's in way over his head with an opponent he can't hold a candle to.

An understandably desirable position to be in though- a big fight like this will give him money and fame- and allow him to honourably retire on a high, after losing to one of the greats of our era.

Latest Articles

judgingthejudges
amirkhancondemnsattacks
peterqkidchocolateqquillingunningforhot2015mentionsdannyjacobsandyleecottogolovkin
gennadyggggolovkinopenstrainingcampforworldtitledefense