Chavez Jr. Doesn't Want Crack At Champ Anthony Dirrell

BY Michael Woods ON August 25, 2014

CHAVEZJR

The WBC today put out word that Julio Cesar Chavez told them he doesn't want a crack at current super middleweight champ Anthony Dirrell, which Junior has a right to accept, as number one contender.

"The WBC has been officially notified that Julio will not exercise his mandatory status. So Anthony Dirrell has been approved to make a voluntary defense of the title. The WBC Board will address the mandatory situation immediately," the sanctioning body said in a release.

It isn't clear what direction Chavez IS going in. He's been at odds with promoter Top Rank, and has turned down a few offers of fights against, for one, Gennady Golovkin. Junior last gloved up in March, against Brian Vera. He won a UD12, and then has been making news for his unwillingness to choose his next in-ring step.

Dirrell holds the strap, which he wrested from Sakio Bika on Aug. 16 at StubHub Center, and on Showtime. The 29-0 Mexican Gilberto Ramirez, who scored a TKO1 in his last outing, in Macau, on July 19, is the No. 2 ranked 168er per the WBC. Not sure if it muddies the mix because Dirrell is an Al Haymon fighter, and Ramirez is a Top Rank guy. My gut says yes, but this being boxing, that could change in an eye blink.

The Shadow says:

How's his dad's finances looking? It's hard to play hardball with a rich kid.

Much easier with a desperate fighter who depends on bouts for income.

And Chavez is the lucky/unique case of a guy who will forever always have a built-in fan base.

There's literally nothing the promoters can do to him.

He'll just sit out until 2015 if he has to and enjoy life in the interim.

By the time he returns, we might see this dude as a cruiserweight.

oubobcat says:

How's his dad's finances looking? It's hard to play hardball with a rich kid.

Much easier with a desperate fighter who depends on bouts for income.

There's literally nothing the promoters can do to him.

He'll just sit out until 2015 if he has to and enjoy life in the interim.

By the time he returns, we might see this dude as a cruiserweight.

Chavez does seem to have zero interest in the moment at fighting. Well as a matter of fact, never seemed to have his heart in the sport at all. He has his daddy's name and natural talent he has been riding to a making some good money for himself. But he doesn't want to commit himself at all to the sport.

He does have a built in fan base though and will continue to make money. He's clearly going to jump ship soon too from Top Rank and who knows could become advised one day by Al Haymon. It seems like a match made in heaven where Haymon has a knack for getting his fighters easy fights for big dollars and well that's all that Chavez wants. And I am not talking Brian Vera level but Rod Salka and below levels. I don't think Chavez ever wants to be put in a tough fight again and would be content fighting D level fighters where his talent alone got him by while raking in some nice paychecks. Heck, if he teams with Haymon I would not be surprised to see Haymon maneuver Chavez to a belt fighting a nobody (kind of like what Haymon did for Broner's first belt).

Ultimately, I see Chavez one day becoming just like Hector Camacho Jr. He will go through his money and well be fighting on third rate club shows in Mexico for a few bucks with his gut hanging over his trunks against low level opponents. And it will probably be as a heavyweight which seems like the weight class Chavez is destined. Who knows, shortly we could see a huge fight at heavyweight between him and James Toney.

deepwater2 says:

Why would he want to fight Dirrell for? JC already has huge fights on the horizon whether he deserves it or not.

I don't think I have seen Dirrell in an exciting fight.

I think the shadow Al Haymon has already gotten a hold of Julio's ear. Julio don't be a foolio, stay with the company that has buttered your bread for so long. Top Rank.

Too much risk for a fighter who is still building his name. Its already been said and I'll say it again... Like Oscar DLH and Floyd May. Chavez sees greener grass on the free agency side of the fence.

Part time boxer, full time playboy, and sometime botanical enthusiast. Chavez can do whatever he wants.

I can't help but speculate that he's being pulled in several directions due to a variety of personal interests and is losing his discipline to live and conduct himself like a professional.

Chavez Jr has some complex issues to sort out.

deepwater2 says:

Chavez Jr has some complex issues to sort out.

Good points. I think Jr already has the name with no hard work put in to get that name. It took a lot of effort and investment on Top Rank's part to build him over the years and now certain advisers have his ear so he doesn't know to stay with TR or go in another direction.

What did Hagler say? Its hard to get up and do roadwork in a silk robe?

Well its even harder to get up to do roadwork in pink underwear holding a bong. Chavez walks around over 200 lbs.

What did Hagler say? Its hard to get up and do roadwork in a silk robe?

Lol.... Nice one

The Shadow says:

Chavez Jr has some complex issues to sort out.

Wait, did you just sneak up over 4,000 posts? You, my man, are a legend! I enjoy your posts. They are always thought-provoking, pensive, entertaining, sometimes wildly comical, vivid and incredibly engaging.

"Part time boxer, full time playboy."

"Sometime botanical enthusiast?"

LOL! This is why I love you.

@OUBobcat

He probably will get steered to a title. (Much how he was given one in the first place. Don't think Haymon can outdo that one.) Shoot, everyone is dying to give him one! He has a free shot -- as in offers -- at the WBC, the WBA, and the IBF belts.

Not to mention that the Ring Magazine champion at the weight has been damn near begging for a showdown with the Mexican $$$ "Vaca."

On a more serious note, he just became a father. I don't think he feels any rush to rush to a two-month camp away from little Julia.

It's simple: he's just going to keep going to the gym and cultivating his talent. He's already become a better boxer.

He has to love it at some level; you don't reach his level if you don't. Shoot, you don't cut his kind of weight if you don't!

Boxing is far too tough for philanderers and pretenders to sashay their way to championship fights. And to his credit, he fought his way from sideshow attraction to world class credibility.

That said, can he get more serious? Hell yeah! He obviously has lots of raw potential but little discipline. Perhaps fatherhood will get him a little more dedicated.

Let's see what happens.

"Part time boxer, full time playboy."

"Sometime botanical enthusiast?"

LOL! This is why I love you.

@OUBobcat

Let's see what happens.

Thanks Shadow...but I'm just a regular guy.

I can accept that....all things are possible. Even Chavez has the power to turn things around. Well, here's one vote for Chavez Jr. from the Shadow.

deepwater2 says:

You might say Top Rank steered JC to a title with a diet of journeymen and mediocre boxers on his way up to the easiest title shot. Haymon outdoes that by giving his current champions a diet of journeymen and mediocre boxers.

Hayman is not that bad... He gave us Garcia Khan, Garcia Mattysse, Broner Maidana, Berto Gurerro, Brook Porter, Angulo Lara, Berto Soto, Santa Cruz vs anybody.... and Figueroa .....just to name a few and he's giving us Quillen Korobov in the near future .....Some of those were the potential fights of the year for 2013 - 2014.

deepwater2 says:

Good fights , I hope he keeps it up. I hope Quillin Korobov makes me forget about , Quillin Konecny .

Salka and Roman were and are the closest thing to a fix without a federal investigation.

@ shadow Can you do the impossible and get a Al Haymon interview?

The Shadow says:

@ shadow Can you do the impossible and get a Al Haymon interview?

Haha! I wish, my man! He barely stays visible when he's around. Or, as Radam likes to say, he "hides in plain sight."

When I last saw him at a Mayweather post-fight press conference, he just hung around by the media buffet (as if he ever eats). Tons of people had no idea who the heck he was.

Sam Watson I may be able to do. He's quite the loquacious fella.

Haymon is turning into something like Zordon from Power Rangers.

deepwater2 says:

Chavez doesn't want a crack at Dirrell but I bet I know who would. Andre Ward. Andre D has Andre W's green belt. Andre W did not lose that belt, it was stripped off of him.

Latest Articles