Is Lundy Next For Provodnikov?

BY Michael Woods ON August 14, 2014

Lundy

Sifting and shifting, plotting, planning, adding, subtracting, all in a quest for getting the best opportunity for Ruslan Provodnikov, the Siberian Rocky who met his Apollo, in Chris Algieri, on June 14…that's what promoter Arthur Pelullo has been up to the last couple weeks.

A name popped up today, which I asked the PA based dealmaker about. Hank Lundy, an ESPN2 staple who fights for Rhode Islander Jimmy Burchfield, announced that he's in the running to scrap with Provo, who took part in the 2013 Fight of the Year, against Tim Bradley.

So, what about it, Arthur, does Lundy have the inside track on a fight with Ruslan? Certainly, while Lundy isn't a one-dimensional brawler, he will look to bang often enough, I think, to the point where Ruslan wouldn't be left frustrated that he'd stumbled into a track meet.

"I don't know who will fight Ruslan next," Pelullo said. ""I'm working on opponents with HBO. We want Brandon Rios, Jesse Vargas, Timothy Bradley, and I offered Oscar De La Hoya and Eric Gomez at Golden Boy a fight with Mauricio Herrera, as well. I also spoke to Jimmy Burchfield about Lundy. What I'm trying to do is get the biggest possible fight for Ruslan. I don't know who the opponent will be but I'm just keeping all my options open. I also talked to Gary Shaw about Thomas Dulorme."

Readers, help the powers that be, which also include Provodnikov advisor Vadim Kornilov, clarify matters. Who do you want to see Provodnikov fight next?

Wow! C-Al was an Apollo Creed? Hum! I don't understand. Holla!

Skibbz says:

I've always had a great respect for Artie, one of the sport's hardest workers, but other than Rios, I'm personally not interested in seeing Ruslan fight any of those fighters mentioned.

It's hard when not many are willing to face you and you don't have a belt.. But it's time to dig deep and conclude some good business, for his and his fighter's sake.

Also Chris Algieri aka The Midnight Nurse still has all kinds of problems, Provodnikov gave him a beating like no one else and the crooks saw fit to send Ruslan back to the hinterlands without his belt.. I eagerly await Pacquiao's date with the nurse, Algieri bit off more than he can chew - twice!

Put Ruslan vs Bradley on the undercard of the Pac vs Algeri PPV

Froggy says:

Put Ruslan vs Bradley on the undercard of the Pac vs Algeri PPV

If I was Bradleys manager, there would never ever be a rematch with Provodnikov !

That is a good payday for both fighters for sure.

Although Bradley took a physical beating in the first fight he showed no effects of it against JMM as he looked crisp and against Pac for their rematch, he got outclassed but showed no signs of physical deterioration. Make the fight.

Froggy says:

That is a good payday for both fighters for sure.

I agree Bradley looks just fine now, but he was concussed and a rematch might just go the same as the first fight, although you would think Bradley would box and not trade ! A rematch would be a money maker and Bradley could go unscathed, fighting a different fight, but I would not sleep well if he was damaged in a rematch and I had anything to do with it !

Lundy vs Provodnikov sounds like it should have already been a FNF main event. Sounds good to me.

Ditto I'd love to see it....plus listen to Lundy do his best to intimidate... And watch "Rocky" put the pressure on during the fight.

Latest Articles