Looks Like Sergey Kovalev-Bernard Hopkins Will Be Nov. 8

BY Michael Woods ON August 12, 2014

Kovalev-Hopkins

No secret, I'm a Brooklyn resident, Barclays Center is right near my house, so I'd like the forthcoming scrap between light heavy studs Sergey Kovalev and Bernard Hopkins to take place in BK. But that hasn't been determined yet, according to Kovalev advisor Egis Klimas.

He did tell me in a Tuesday chat that it is looking like the fight date will be Nov. 8, though it could be the prior week, and it likely wouldn't be later in the month. As of now, Nov. 8 is an opne date at Barclays.

Klimas cracked me up when he said, after being asked if the bout will land in AC, a locale reeling from casino closures, or Brooklyn, "I don't give a s--- where Hopkins is gonna get knocked out."

The advisor said he noticed B-Hop trying to insinuate himself into Kovalev's mind during the Aug. 2 postfight interview after Kovalev downed Blake Caparello in AC at Revel, but he said such games don't work on the Russian. "Maybe Sergey will get into his mind, you never know. Of course Hopkins will try to pull it, and he knows how to do it. But you saw it, Sergey didn't blink."

Klimas says to bring up Hopkins' wins over a Kelly Pavlik, or a Tavoris Cloud, that is apples and oranges. Kovalev, he said, is a much better boxer than given credit for. Klimas did, however, acknowledge that B-Hop is MUCH better than anyone Kovalev as fought to this point. "He's much higher grade, maybe higher than all of them put together."

The Commish says:

Last Saturday night, I had a chance to spend some time with Bernard Hopkins at the Barclay's Center. While he all-but-confirmed November 8 as the date for his rumble against Sergey Kovalev, he wasn't sure if the venue was going to be Brooklyn (the Barclay's Center) or Atlantic City.

What he was sure about is how he is going to promote the fight.

"As the 'Alien,' I am always changing," B-Hop said to me. "So, here's what I plan to do. I plan to play this along the lines of Rocky IV, when Rocky fights Ivan Drago."

I gave B-Hop a puzzled look, then said, "But that fight supposedly took place in Russia, and Drago was the heel, the bad guy. Your fight will be in the United States and the Russian in this case is well-liked."

"It doesn't matter," said B-Hop. "It's still an American against a Russian. I may walk out draped in an American flag, or at least in red, white and blue and to some Rocky music. It's all in fun--until the fight starts."

With Hopkins, it seems like all he does is have fun.

-Randy G.

I would warn Bernard to stay away from the Rocky IV angle. The aging champ vs the Russian power puncher didn't go so well for Apollo.

WOW! Holla!

The Commish says:

Wow! Are you looking for a blowout of B-Hop, tR?

-Randy G.

The Alien B-Hop is more likely to blow out Kovalev. Holla!

Scar says:

Based on styles, Kovalev is nothing special nor new to Hopkins. The only way I see Hopkins losing this one is by not being able to perform as he previously used to without running out of gas.

BFF says:

am i the only one excited about this fight? IMO this is 50/50 fight, but im going to favor the young gun Krusher.

deepwater2 says:

So many different angles to this fight.

Can Hopkins mind games work against Kovalev leading up to the fight? Hopkins usually gets his opponents before they get in the ring.

Will Kovalev fall into the traps and slow down his punch output?

Can Hopkins take Kovalev's power if he is able to land ?

Will Kovalev get frustrated when Hopkins is still there after round 8 doing push-ups in the corner?

The Revel hotel in AC just went bankrupt again. Not a good omen for AC.

Wow! Are you looking for a blowout of B-Hop, tR?

-Randy G.

I am tC. I want the sleep inducing one known as Hopkinzzzz to go away for good. This will be the last waltz. The last clinch and feint con job. Kovalev needs only to let his punches fly and sooner or later a big one will land. I think something high on the head. Hopkins hits the deck and gets up complaining to the ref. Kovalev comes in and lands a krushing kombo. Bernard falls face first to the canvas. He struggles to rise with an expression on his face that we have never seen before or will again. The ref counts to ten. It is over. The last waltz is over.

The Commish says:

It's just a wild guess, but you don't like B-Hop, do you?

-Randy G.

You have been a broken record, tR. Maybe the referee will count to 10 over Kovalev. The "Alien" is going to tap dance and jitterbug da hebejeebeez outta 2K. Gonna krush him like a jelly bean. Again B-Hop will make tR SCREAM! And O'shyt ZZZZZZZ! Old K-Hoppy is supreme. Holla!

It's just a wild guess, but you don't like B-Hop, do you?

-Randy G.

What have me away?

Nothing personal I just don't like his style.
I liked when he was the Executioner 20 years ago and was knocking Joe Lipsey's head off but the Alien has got to go.

You are one to talk about being a broken record RG. "Da Manny is gonna knock out (insert any name) with ease in da early rounds!"

B-Hop needs to feint and clinch his butt off the stage already!

B-Hop needs to feint and clinch his butt off the stage already!

Hehehehe! Admittedly so. But this time around Da Manny will knock out soft jaw C-Al in round six or seven. Holla!

Has November 8th been 100% confirmed yet?

This right-hand man of thAH is ¢o¢k$ure about the "Alien" B-Hop is going to jive up 2K. And give him a thrashing and an arse smashing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2rgEAyS5Vs. Holla!

The Commish says:

[QUOTE=amayseng;61246]This fight is a toss up, I don't know who to pick, it can go so many different ways, which is what makes it great.

Has November 8th been 100% confirmed yet?[/QUOTE]

November 8 has not been officially confirmed, but all the talk says it will be either the 1st or the 8th. According to B-Hop last Saturday, "They still don't know if the site is going to be The Barclay's Center or Atlantic City.

Personally, because it's a short ride home, I hope it's The Barclay's Center in Brooklyn. Wherever it lands, however, is fine. I'm thrilled the fight was made.

-Randy G.

spit bucket says:

I think Kovalev will win, just as Jermain Taylor won, by being more active, pressing the action, and by landing the harder punches. Youth + Desire + power will allow Kovalev to convince B Hop that he is after all, human.

thegreyman says:

This is one mission too far for the Alien.

[QUOTE=thegreyman;61285]Spit bucket has a point. Yes Hopkins can frustrate, tie up and work on the inside, but that wont be the whole fight. KK is a fighter without many flaws to his name, and with an awful lot of power, energy and hunger. He will keep coming, and keep coming, and keep coming, and as time goes by, it will be KK's work that tells more than BHops.

This is one mission too far for the Alien.[/QUOTE]

Can Bhop's legs out work KK's for 12 rounds?

That spacing to keep kK at bay and inactive is the key for Hopkins.

This is one mission too far for the Alien.[/QUOTE]

Can Bhop's legs out work KK's for 12 rounds?

That spacing to keep kK at bay and inactive is the key for Hopkins.

Latest Articles