Algieri Reacts To Oddsmakers

BY Michael Woods ON August 06, 2014

cris-algieri

The oddsmakers are saying his chances of beating Manny Pacquiao are slimmer than Brandon Rios' were. Slimmer than my chances of ever having hair as fabulous as David Diamantes'..or making light heavyweight anytime soon.

But Chris Algieri doesn't seem insulted by those who see him as a 16 to 1 underdog against the Congressman.

"That is fine by me," the Huntington Heartthrob told me. "That is on paper. And on paper I am not supposed to win. Championships are won on intangibles, not on paper. Not to mention we are three and a half months away. Those odds will tighten up as the world sees my hard work and dedication."

What say you, boxing fans. What SHOULD the odds be for the Nov. 22 Pacquiao-Algieri bout?

oubobcat says:

I don't think Algieri will win but 16-1 is a stretch to say the least. That is almost giving Algieri zero shot. He is a better fighter than those odds indicate. And this is not taking into account that Pacquaio isn't getting any younger. In my opinion, Algieiri should be closer to an 8-1 to 10-1 underdog in this fight. Its still a long shot but also not anywhere near what the odds are currently.

Skibbz says:

Those odds are generous to say the least. We're comparing one of the greatest of all time, someone with as many belts in different divisions as Algieri has knockouts in 20 pro fights. He shouldn't be surprised and in fact flattered at the hope provided by some happy go lucky fans..

In my book he would be 25-1 and I'd give you your money back if he got KO'd in the first.

Froggy says:

At one point the odds were 42 to 1 against Buster Douglas when he fought Tyson and in my opinion he beat Tyson as decisively as anyone or more so ! So 25 to 1 against Algieri beating Pacman sounds quite reasonable to me !

deepwater2 says:

If that is really David Diamante's own hair than it is an insult to compare Algieri's hair to David's.Diamantes hair took a decade to grow I would bet.

I won't put any money on this fight.Pac has all the advantages but Algieri has cross over appeal and can make a lot of money down the road. The potential to make money with crossover appeal goes along way. Pac beat up Bradley 10 rounds to 2 but they gave it to Bradley. I had Ruslan P up a point or two against Chris A and they gave it to Chris A. If Algieri lasts to the final bell, that jab and moving around the ring whether he lands hard shots or not can get him the win. Strange things happen in boxing.

Skibbz says:

Sounds like I'd make a good bookie!

C-Al should not be insulted at all. Because darn hard, he's going to fall.

He should not even be in this bout. He didn't win the last one I will continue to shout. But that is water under the bridge. Over-excited hometown cheats put him up on this boksing ridge. And now the only way that he is going is DOWN. And in his own arrogance and bull jive, he is going to drown.

Talking about that he upset and shocked the world once, and that he is going to do it twice. NYET! Bu shi! Hindi! No! La! Diri! Hindi po! Da Manny is going to put his arse on ice. I see no hope for C-Al. And I'm just being nice.

Boksing is a tough reality. And one must deal with the actuality. Holla!

The Commish says:

C-Al should not be insulted at all. Because darn hard, he's going to fall.

Boksing is a tough reality. And one must deal with the actuality. Holla!

Arrogance? Bulljive?

Are you talking about Algieri? What arrogance? What bulljive? This is not Adrien Broner we are talking about. That's arrogance. That's bulljive.

And skibbz, do you really believe Algieri is going to be iced in the first round?

If Algieri should win, what would be a bigger upset: Him beating Pacquiao or Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson? The way you guys are talking, an Algieri victory would be a bigger upset than Douglas over Tyson, David over Goliath and the '69 NY Jets over the Baltimore Colts all rolled together.

You guys are in for a big surprise.

-Randy G.

Hehehe! And tomorrow, the sun will still rise. Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

Arrogance? Bulljive?

You guys are in for a big surprise.

-Randy G.

Algieri is everything that Manny has some issues with. Algieri will not be standing there to be hit like Rios, Mosely, Margarito, Clottey or even sometimes Bradley. He has an odd rhythm which Marquez has that gets Manny off balance. He has height and size advantage over Manny. If this dude sticks and moves, uses his awkard almost goofy style to pot shot Manny on occasion, he could dance like Justin Timberlake his way to a close, boring decision.

If this were the Manny of five years ago, he takes out Algieri in 6. However, it isn't. This will be a much better fight than most of us anticipate.

Skibbz says:

The Shadow says:

Don't forget about ya boy... http://www.thesweetscience.com/forums/showthread.php?16614-Andre-Dirrell-Absolutely-Annihilates-Guy-Supreme-Skill

Also, please check out my post on the British heavyweight from West Midlands.

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=Skibbz;60641]Come on commissioner were talking about Manny Pacquiao! Chris beat Ruslan, a fighter tailor made in style who in reality is not an elite level fighter.

Pacquiao is the man pushing the boundaries of what defines an elite fighter and athlete. This is no Provodnikov or Taylor! They were the smallest fish in the big pool of world boxing, if Algieri now in his arrogance thinks he's a big fish then he had better realise that when the shark arrive he will bite![/QUOTE]

Don't forget about ya boy... [url]http://www.thesweetscience.com/forums/showthread.php?16614-Andre-Dirrell-Absolutely-Annihilates-Guy-Supreme-Skill

Also, please check out my post on the British heavyweight from West Midlands.

[QUOTE=The Good Doctor;60636]Commish, I am rolling with you. I don't think this is an easy fight for Manny at all. I am not saying that Algieri wins, but I do not see a Manny dismantling either.

(This is coming from a guy who said Mayweather would shutout Maidana but I digress)[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree , Chris can be a spoiler to Pacs frenetic style and pace.

However, Bradley is a far superior boxer to Chris and Pac put on a masterful performance against him in both fights.

I am glad to see Chris get the shot, at least he is new blood. I am however though a bit worried he might go complete defense and bicycle to a boring survival loss, which bores the fans of course.

Chris should know this may be his one opportunity and its better to go out on his shield making a fight of it than boring himself to espn2 fnf's

Dude is from a karate/kick boxing mill background. His body has no boxing memory or has ever developed one at his age. He's jittery, mechanical and striffery [$¡¢] robotic. He is easy to reach, easy to force him where you want him and easy to hit. (Height and size doesn't mean syet in boksing in the way that it doesn't mean syet in having sex.) He cannot read feints. He doesn't have anticipation radar. He's simple. And has absolutely no stealth.

Da Manny is going to beat him like a drum. And drop him in the way that Da Manny dropped the great Erik Morales in Bouts I & II. Matter of fact, it will be worst, because C-Al is super-skill-less Erik Morales-like. WTF! This is a terrible match up for C-Al.

flackoguapo says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;60654]C-Al has no boksing experience -- except in sparring sessions -- against elite fighters. And they beat da hebejeebeez outta him and control him like a pimp does a bimbo ho. Holla at some of the sessions on Youtube and/or Daily Motion.

In a match against a big-arse elephant and a small-arse mouse; on the mouse, bet all your dough and your house. Holla![/QUOTE]

I think this match was set-up in a way where they want to bring the more aggressive Manny back and not so much the one who's been a lil more cautious (boxing smartly) and exploding less in that range of his in these last 2 fights. Mannys foot speed will need come into play IMO because I can see Algieri backpeddling with lots lateral movement and flicking his punches to stay as outside of Da manny as possible. I hope it's not a boring fight and CA is a smart dude, I would think he knows that you have to really beat up the A side if you want to give yourself a chance in their neck of the woods. Hope that factors in and we get a good one.

Radam, You are epic my dude. ..that post had me crackin' up from top to bottom haha you come with the heat on Da Manny threads...

flackoguapo says:

And I still don't know if I'm thinking KO or decision for Da Manny. I want to see him drop dudes the way he use to. Maybe it will have a better chance of happening at 140 instead of 47'....

Chris L says:

[QUOTE=Chris L;60688]Where are you guys seeing 25-1? I'd cut my right arm off for those odds! On the British gambling sites C-Al is 13/2 and Pacquiao is 1/12.

Still thinking of having a punt on C-Al at those odds - got a feeling that his box from the outside style may give the Pac Man problems.[/QUOTE]

Chris L says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;60690]Sorry! But C-Al doesn't know how to box from the outside or inside. He's not a boxer. He's from karate/kick boxing mills. And not even the best of those. Keep hope, though! Though hope has joined "not-a-chance-in hell," and is betting heavily against him. Holla![/QUOTE]

Skibbz says:

I think Pac will come out in the opener and show Algieri the lion inside of him. That ferocity combined with is 8 punch combos flung from angles Algieri didn't learn about in trig class. It's going to a be short night of pain!

All said, he's getting through the sun roof exposure out of this fight expectedly, anyone know his plans for the future after this fight..? I do remember him saying he's after Mayweather Jr after he scalps Pacquiao.. Made me chuckle.

[QUOTE=Chris L;60691]He is a world champion (albeit everyone and they grandmother seems to be a world champion nowadays) so he clearly does know how to box.

I wan't the Pac Man to show us some flare and knock him out, return to the Manny of old that was demolishing much bigger guys like a wrecking ball. I'm with you on that, but I can't see it happening, I can see C-Al giving him all sorts of problems.[/QUOTE]

Nobody need "the Manny of old that was demolishing much bigger guys like a wrecking ball" to knockout C-Al. Besides, that Manny needed existed. It is made-up bulljive that he ever did. That Manny didn't kayo a single welterweight. The referee rescued a drained Miguel Cotto, and a drained Oscar De la Hoya quit on the strool.

OMFG! That so-called "Manny of old" was knocking out featherweights, lightweights and light welterweights. And NOT one single FULL-figured welterweight or above did he EVER KTFO.

Family Mayweather started the lies about the awesome power of "lil' yellow midget PacKOW," and weak minds that don't think for themselves and will believe any POS con game ran it, thus creating a legend of BULLJIVE-@$$ "wrecking-ball power" of Da Manny.

People are good at creating myths and telling BIG lies on small fighters in our sport.

You can see C-Al giving Da Manny "all sorts of problems" because the brain can create any amount of cordial diffussion of bullsyet. C-Al is a lightweight -- Da Manny's actual fighting weight -- and C-Al, not knowing much about boxing, is getting KTFO. He is going to be as much trouble as David Diaz and Ricky Hatton were. And they knew how to fight.

Skibbz says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;60711]I won't even go into naming how many bums became world champions because crooked judges gave them decisions or the mafia had the bouts fixed for them to win ("albeit everyone and they grandmother..." and 19 of their ugliest relatives are world champion nowadays).

Nobody needs "the Manny of old that was demolishing much bigger guys like a wrecking ball" to knockout C-Al. Besides, that Manny needed existed. It is made-up bulljive that he ever did. That Manny didn't kayo a single welterweight. The referee rescued a drained Miguel Cotto, and a drained Oscar De la Hoya quit on the strool.

Family Mayweather started the lies about the awesome power of "lil' yellow midget PacKOW," and weak minds that don't think for themselves and will believe any POS con game ran with it, thus creating a legend of BULLJIVE-@$$ "wrecking-ball power" of Da Manny.

C-Al is GREEN. And doesn't know syet 'bout boxing, bitting off the words of Uncle Roger. Holla![/QUOTE]

Radam your post made me chuckle. Ricky and Diaz were raised punching bags with their fists (not their legs). They had fought some of the best boxers that were around and beaten them mostly. Pacquiao reminded them who the top dog was.

So far the punters have been a little hesitant... I'm moving Algieri to 30-1 UD, get it while it's still hot!

mortcola says:

mortcola says:

[QUOTE=mortcola;60776]Ya know, Rad, not only are your criticisms of C-Al just fantasy falsehoods, I have looked back over your history. You always write funny poetry. But you have one of the lowest fight-picking batting averages of any TSS writer. You basically make syet up, and it don’t hold up, but I hope you don’t shut up, because you will always crack me up.[/QUOTE]

mortcola says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;60780]Point some of it out. Put it up. The archives are there. No tricks! No optical illusions. I've been right 86.5 percent of the time. This year, it has been 96-percent of the time. Never do I make up stuff. I just point the stuff out that has been made up. And I'm 100 percent correct on it. And anybody who check will back that up. So many lies have been made up about Da Manny, that it is pathetic.

Hehe! I hope that I continue to crack you up though, because C-Al is no boxers. He's perpetrating a fraud. And he is going get slaughtered in China. It will be a massacre in Macau. You can see most of his fights and sparring sessions on YouTube. And, again, I will be 100-percent right. Holla![/QUOTE]

100%! And you still jump at every head fake! Thought you were a boxer....

[QUOTE=mortcola;60777]Now, putting aside Radam for the moment, here’s my carefully considered analysis. C-Al has no empirical basis to think he can beat Pac, who is one of my all-time favorite fighters. True, C-Al has come from the kickboxing and local-scene to one-eyed shut down a guy who before the fight was widely considered the most feared man in the sport. Watch the replays- that is one helluva a boxing arsenal. And that is where the intangibles of boxing prediction come in. Dino Davinci said something very wise recently about C-Al before the Prpvo fight, which is that when a guy improves in the gym, he might go from a 90 to a 91 - not as big a deal as when you see a world class fighter develop from humble beginnings over the years. But I made the point that C-Al may be the rare exception. I think he is a boxing prodigy. He went from a guy I though I could land rights on and give four or five decent sparring rounds to, to a guy who completely polished and multiplied his toolkit in under a year. Do I think he is favorite over Pac? No. But no matter how much I love Pac and admire his subtlety of movement, I think he has become a much more programmed and less spontaneous fighter who is both more polished and less dangerous than five or ten years ago. He is SIX inches shorter than C-Al (yes, I know, same stats as DeLa Hoya), and unlike DLH, I see Chris as being at the near-peak of a rarely witnessed boxing evolution. I think the guy is a prodigy. I think he will give Pac major problems and quite possibly make him miss and get countered more dramatically than he ever has. And, for actual boxing polish, I don’t place Bradley any higher than C-Al - Bradley who has rarely ever thrown a straight punch, snapped a jab, or landed an uppercut. And no matter how well Pac did in the re-match, Bradley was barely able to move in the first fight and had plenty of success right within Pac’s wheelhouse in both fights, and had little to fall back on when Plan-A didn’t work; remember the guy who barely made it out of the Provodnikov fight without toe-to-toe concussions and then went the distance with Pac twice? Compared with the one-eyed guy who learned immediately how to win the next 11 1/2 against the same guy. So, as an out-of-Long-Island underdog, I get the 16-1 odds. But you are going to see a much more competitive fight than most of you think, because Algieri has capitalized 100% of his superior intellect into genuine boxing savvy more than almost any pug you’ve seen. Tell me what you think afterward. Predictions are like a-holes.........I’m just giving you the variables. Make of them what you want.[/QUOTE]

Luv! Luv! Luv! I don't know what style. But somebody ought to give C-Al some tough love. And remind him of "the bigger they are, the harder they fall. All his height and size don't mean syet. And I don't need to start naming all the taller, bigger fighters through the ages that got their arses handed to them.

November will be a month that C-Al will not want to remember. Macau is not New York. And he will not be given a gift. Matter of fact, he is going to be looked at an invader, who's nothing but a faker. And in China, he's going to be quickie fader.

The C-Al that got the gift against the Siberian Rocky will not even show up in Macau. His courage is going to bow. Being far from his home of gifts, the cheers against him will be loud. Asian kindness is going of out the door. Dude will encounter a hostile crowd. Matter of fact, they are already sore. And can wait to see a now already-probably-shot C-Al get his arse whupped once more.

C-Al has been mouthing about how he is going to upset Da Manny and then take on Money May. C-Al ought to just STFU, and be happy with his pay. In boxing, that type of money will never again come his way. He's a one-tricky pony. And has been able to get a decision that was PURE home cooking only. All his supporters and sidekicks oughta quit playin' da phony. They are so full of baloney. Da Manny is gonna "murda' da bum," I have to bit off the late "Two Ton" Tony. Holla!

[QUOTE=mortcola;60787]100%! And you still jump at every head fake! Thought you were a boxer....[/QUOTE]

It is better to jump, instead of taking a lump. And often after every head fake comes shake and bake, and you how to be ready to slither away like a snake. Hehe! Holla!

stormcentre says:

Algeri is a lucky customer to have this fight with Pacquiao; he can thank BBB (Big Bad Bob) for the opportunity.

Of course - totally by accident - Bob gets to keep the (WBO is it) welterweight championship in house by nominating Chris.

Provodkinov (spelling?) was always going to be susceptible to a tough guy that could box, as Provodkinov is only the former.

Still, I wish nothing but the best for Chris.

Worst case scenario is that Manny slices him up and then Algeri gets to beat on Rios; who should also fight Ruslan in my opinion.

Is it just me or WHAT? C-Al has never lost a bout in karate/kick boxing-mill jive or in da real-deal of boxing.
There are optical illusions everywhere. And sneaky promotion can sleaze up da joint. Here is a video of C-Al getting KTFO with a punch in a kick boxing match: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7aHx5wzIn0

Dude has no chin. His chances of winning, you may as well throw in a trashbin. He's been perpetrating a fraud. And I've busted him. He is undefeated in karate/kick boxing individual competition. But has been KTFO a couple times in that mill sport in other types of competition. And in boxing sparring sessions, his has been put to sleep a few times. But I will let somebody else find that, because I don't want to be accused of C-Al hatin.'

C-Al has a china chin. And Imma stand by my guns. Da Manny is gonna make him crack apart and break like Ella Fitzgerald used to do a wine glass when she was singing high pitch. C-Al is a-hiding-his-history bytchhhh! He is gonna crumble like Goliath did when David hit him with a pebble from a slingshot.

NUFFIN' has C-Al got. He's already shot. He ain't hot! He should not have even been given this slot. Outta him, Da Manny is gonna beat the snot. Holla!

This bout is being promoted with a lot of jive talking. But in dat squared jungle, C-Al should not even be walking. But it is what it is. Enjoy the "Jive Talking: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxDEFcZ-1Bg. Holla!

Scott MuKaddum kayoed C-Al with a southpaw check right hook. And before that, stunned him with a right uppercut. The Siberian Rocky dropped C-Al with a left hook.

Now what do you think is going to happen to C-Al when Da Manny buzzes him with a southpaw check right hook, and nukes him with an angling over-handed left? C-Al is going da double fudge to sleep. Holla!

Latest Articles