Floyd Takes Swipe At Oscar, Says He Thinks of GB As Richard Schaefers' Company

BY Michael Woods ON July 14, 2014

schaffer-mayweather

I thought it interesting that Golden Boy boss Oscar De La Hoya was NOT present for the hype kickoff for the Sept. 13 Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana rematch today in NYC.

Word was that Oscar was on a family vacay, long ago planned. Hmm. OK, I try not to be a cynic, despite being in the business and hell, in life, long enough for that to be difficult.

Eric Gomez, GBP matchmaker, was the face of GBP at the NYC presser, for the record. Probably best, because doubtless Oscar would not have been overjoyed to hear Floyd say, when asked how his relationship is with Golden Boy Promotions, in this Tha Boxing Voice video, "It's all about Mayweather Promotions. There's only one guy that I know, and his name is Richard Schaefer, and he's done a helluva job with that company. Richard Schaefer built that company from the ground up. Day in and day out, working with those fighters, it's safe to say, I like to call it "Richard Schaefer's Promotions."

Fighting words, I venture to say. But where in the world is Oscar, to have his say, offer a counter, if he wishes. pre-planned vacay, my friends...

Follow Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

flackoguapo says:

This sucks but I hope it's just media hype by Floyd . Because this can lead to less of a chance of exciting bouts happening between fighters under different promotions.

Skibbz says:

Wary of not stepping on each others toe's? Oscar is but Floyd is stomping everywhere trying to prick Goldenboy.. He should have been at the presser at it may have irked Floyd who saw it as a snub. It's not like this isn't one of the biggest, if not the biggest, fight on the calendar..

flackoguapo says:

That could be what it was. Because last time interview I saw Floyd in he wished Oscar the best but the one before that he was talkin' sheeyt. lol.. Anyway, I wonder if Floyd will fight Goldenboy fighters not advised by Al haymon? or is that just too much speculation?

Oscar may have already countered by potentially sliding Canelo into slots next to Floyd's PPV dates in 2015.
Honestly Oscar doesn't even need Canelo he could have teamed up with Arum to put together some entertaining bouts between a few Hispanic high profile fighters in May and September to suck the interest and revenue out of a Floyd Mayweather card.

Floyd my not have anticipated whats coming next.....Now there is more competition than ever between promoters.

If Floyd isn't fighting a Golden boy promoted fighter or someone with as much clout as Miguel Cotto then he will not be happy with the PPV results.

This is good news for the fans because it forces Mayweather to reach for the most interesting fights to counter this move....

I'm really not a person to really expound about the business of boxing.... I'd prefer that aspect of boxing to be transparent to its core audience.... But it seems like we are being dragged into the debate.

deepwater2 says:

Floyd can think whatever he wants but GBP is Oscar's company and Lil Floyd is doing business with the company after he said he wouldn't .

Oscar is smart for staying away from the press conferences . Oscar would get more cheers from the fans and Floyd would be upset.

Floyd sounds boring at these press conferences. He may be the current Top Boxer but he falls way short on sounding entertaining. Maidana is entertaining to listen too even if translated.

Floyd " Bet your purse. I just pulled his Ho card. L talk about this bum"

MM " We can bet for whatever. It doesn't really matter to me. Will he allow me to use my gloves?"

riverside says:

In reality what is it to Money May who built Golden Boy? Oscar or Richard. Floyd will continue to take swipes at Oscar, don't understand his logic, what is the purpose? seems like he want to see Oscar fail. Floyd was making announcements just about daily the week before the Canelo fight. the one feared of being isolated here is Money May. He needs to keep on doing buisness as normal with Golden Boy from a business point. as we see Floyd promotional team plans are huge, built his empire ala Oscar del hoya way, isolate DLH and put him out of buisness, very ambition plan from Ellerbe/ Floyd and team. they can do it, it's not easy as it looks.

Floyd " Bet your purse. I just pulled his Ho card. L talk about this bum"

I saw things a bit differently Deep.
Hope you don't mind if give a different point of view.

I thought Floyd did a Stellar job. His 20 years of experience in front of friendly and hostile crowds has given him the ability to duck rotten tomatoes as easily as he slips a lazy jab. Floyd can pump them up and he can cool them off... With equal expertise.

Mayweather doesn't just try to force his words over the mic by turning up the volume like the defensive Ellerbe does. The crowd gave Ellerbe a difficult time and he didn't seem to have a clue about how to handle a semi-hostile, pro-Medina crowd.

Floyd on the other hand is adept at playing the press and a rowdy disagreeable audience like a used violin.

When they booed and the crowd got disorderly Floyd just shuts up and let's them vent. Later he chimed in "this is the Floyd Mayweather show.... I have all the time in the world"

When Maidana's crowd started singing....Floyd used the most common and powerful customer service tool in existence... He acknowledged the song first......and then he signalled to his supportors to chant the money team mantra " hard work,....dedication" ...." Hard work is what?....Easy Work!!"

Now both groups are having fun trying to outchant each other.

Floyd goes into his bad boy routine and writes an IOU on a piece of paper and gives it to Garcia to give to Maidana. "I'll bet you your entire prize money amount that I'll beat you... Sign it"
Maidana declines and the pro Mayweather crowd goes wild.

At this point the crowd is into and having fun ....he makes it look easy.

Floyd knows how to work a crowd .........all this with no profanity used.

And Maidana gets in few good ones as well......Were you there live ??? Anyone. I saw the video.

The Commish says:

So true, gentlemen. All of the bad-mouthing and foot-stomping is being done by bad-boy $$$May, who bashes Oscar at every turn, every stop and every press cdonference. Anything coming from Oscar is laid-back and professional.

But then, that's $$$May.

-Randy G.

deepwater2 says:

I always respect your opinion Brownsugar whether we agree or not. I just think Floyd's heel routine is boring at this point. Nothing original.

Just heard Floyd compare MM's gloves to the Resto and Margocheato episodes all while dragging Top Rank into it. MM is not a TR fighter and the NSAC approved Chino's gloves.

So basically Floyd is saying the NSAC approved gloves with no padding. Floyd won't be sanctioned or reprimanded for saying that either, even though it is damaging to the NSAC's credibility.

No surprise coming from a man who physically abuses women.

Floyd is a brilliant fighter, but out of the ring his iq is probably laughable..

He is terrible at talking trash, I mean terrible. "ho card" . what is it 1997?

If I was Oscar at the next press conference I would smack Floyd in the mouth in front of everyone. Why not? I think it would be funny. Oscar is rich, old and over the hill and Floyd is a big mouth.

Chino should go through every press conference wearing those big oversized funny gloves that children wear to play box. You know those ones that are like 30 inches long?
Just make a mockery of Floyd for trying to bail on the fight making him switch gloves that were approved. Make Floyd look like a coward over the situation.

I think Chino either drew or won the first fight but I really have no ambition to watch the second one as Floyd is gonna be fleeing like LARA. boring

Carmine Cas says:

Honestly Floyd's bs is getting old, he needs to show/add another layer before he bores everyone.

Can't argue with that..
Hey Deep did you go to the conferences?

deepwater2 says:

No I couldn't take the day off.

At the end of the day the attending audience got what they came for which is a slice of bigtime celebrity entertainment from the original bad-boy himself. Albeit a more neutered version since he now brings his kids onstage.

Floyd plays the part well and whipped the crowd into a frenzy in the process. Check out the video on YouTube. Yes the lines are all the same but like his boxing skills Floyd knows how and when to use them. As a person whose had a little experience doing public speaking....its way harder to accomplish than it looks to work a crowd of blood thirsty boxing fans. Especially the ones in the opposing camp........ Floyd does it effortlessly without breaking a sweat.

flackoguapo says:

100% agree. I wish I didn't know or felt that I had to know what's going on behind the scenes. It seems as though once you start to really get into boxing there's almost no way of avoiding the political and promotional dynamics. Boxing is a unique beast in so many different ways than other sports are. The famous fact that you don't "play" boxing, to the way the competition is set up between the entities. As an NFL fan, I know the Cowboys are going to play their divisional rivals twice a year. In boxing, as a fan, you have to know the promotional set-up to see if your "dream" fights are just in fact just that, a dream. They say that Seattle has the most beautiful sunshine. And maybe thats whats Mega-fights are nowadays, rare sunny days amongst cloudy,sometimes rainy ones. That's my heartfelt, warm attempt to try and warm up this bipolar, cold war.

Funny ...when i was in Seatle the sun never shined until we crossed the boarder to Canada. Hopefully that wont apply to boxing.

Latest Articles

cangolovkinbeasuperstar
issergeykovalevthenextggg
sugarrayleonardwillbeataug9nevadaboxinghallgala
kovalevwillhavemorethancaparelloonhismindaugust2nd
quotesfromfinalkovalevcaparellopresser
sadamaliandanthonypetersontofightatbarclaysaug9
adrienbroneremmanueltayloronforsept6incincy
ideasforprovodnikovsnextrioschaveswinnerherreraandmaybebradley
salitarunningnextqbrooklynbrawlqsept18
dannygarciaqineedaknockoutq

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?