Malignaggi Taking Summer To Decide on Retirement

BY Michael Woods ON July 10, 2014

Paul-Malignaggi

Hang 'em up, or give it another go? Comes a time in every fighters' life where that question begs to be asked. Paul Malignaggi is there right now…

How much longer will I do this? has been nagging at him for awhile, as the political BS, and the grueling and repetitive training camps pile up. But after his last bout, when he got rocked pretty good enroute to a TKO4 loss to Shawn Porter, in Brooklyn on April 19 the question has taken on a different tone.

The 33-6 boxer vomited after his match, and went to the hospital and there was some fear his brain has been affected, perhaps beyond the level of a "mere" concussion. Thank fate, his brain imaging tests showed that there was no severe trauma, and so Malignaggi should be good to go, should he choose to glove up again.

So, I asked him, has he made up his mind? Mind you, the issue may (or may not, he is as competitive a person as you will find in the game) be influenced by the fact that the 33-year-old has some solid fallback plan Bs, like his analyst chair at Showtime, and other business interests, including a body shop and some apparel dealings.

"I'm waiting on how things play out this summer, then I will try and make up my mind," he told me. "Right now, not thinking much about it."

The boat Paulie is in is crowded; Sergio Martinez too is taking time to reflect, and weigh out the positives and negatives. He took some sharp blows and went to the mat a few times against Miguel Cotto, in his last outing. Both men have a marvelous resume to look at with pride; but the pride of the fighter is a different animal, and the challenge of one more saddle-up always beckons….

deepwater2 says:

When you are not sure and have to take time off before you even decide then stick a fork in it. You are done.

Skibbz says:

I completely agree with you Deep. It's time for Paulie and there's no shame in it, he's got a brilliant career to look back on and more fans around the world than many other boxers. Wish him the best.

I think Paulie will fight again. The allure of the spotlight in the ring and the competitive fire he has will not allow him to retire at this point.

Alfonso Gomez just put on an impressive performance yesterday in winning a televised bout against Ed Paredes on Fox Spots. Paulie actually called the fight (did a great job as usual). I think a Gomez-Malignaggi fight later this year makes a ton on sense.

Think about it, a fight between the two would be fairly evenly matched and interesting. Both are 33 and both have been through their share of ring battles. And each (well I am assuming I guess Paulie will fight again) will want one more crack at a big fight. So matching the two against each other in a de facto "playoff" fight (winner advances, loser probably done) makes a lot of sense. Plus, if Paulie does come back he won't want to face a huge puncher (at least initially) coming off the KO loss and all the more reason for a Gomez fight.

Ultimately, I think Paulie really desires that rematch against Broner. Its not only a nice payday but I think Paulie really believes he can beat him. But before that happens, Paulie needs a solid win to show people he still has something.

I'm riding shotgun with you. Paulie is fighting on and and on. Holla!

Paulie should take that time to determine a financial strategy to stay solvent. Personally I wouldn't want to stay in a sport that I knew I had to fight at a lower level than I had previously competed at. it would feel like a sham.

oubobcat says:

I agree brownsugar but I think Paulie is going to. He is very competitive. Fighters with his level of competitiveness don't walk away from the sport easily. He is going to give it another run.

Assuming he does, I just hope his management team is careful about who they put him in with. He is clearly not the fighter he once was. The speed and movement he relied on is just not there anymore and he is obviously not a guy who should be mixing it up with big punchers.

Like I said earlier, I could see Alfonso Gomez happening to gauge where Paulie is at. If successful, I really think that competitive fire in Paulie wants Broner badly again. And think about it, it really could happen. Though I hate to say it, it is marketable and as such both guys will get paid.

Skibbz says:

All sounds a bit contradictory. He's competitive but he won't fight people good. If he's competitive he won't want to sink to fighting C class fighters - B level guys will prove to be too much.

He has money enough to start a small business and focus on that. He has well paid gigs on TV channels and he's a positive TV personality. This sport has no mercy and you can't put in any less then 100% or you will pay, and unlike other sports you pay in blood. Who wants that for Paulie? Paulie doesn't even want that for Paulie. He will see the correct path and that's to hang 'em up.

There shouldn't be talks of one more fight, or one more shot at it. It's just talk and the hard work behind it never comes. History tells us this.

Latest Articles

jessievargasmakesfirstworldtitledefense
cangolovkinbeasuperstar
issergeykovalevthenextggg
riospromisesqtheoldbambamqagainstchaves
sugarrayleonardwillbeataug9nevadaboxinghallgala
kovalevwillhavemorethancaparelloonhismindaugust2nd
quotesfromfinalkovalevcaparellopresser
sadamaliandanthonypetersontofightatbarclaysaug9
adrienbroneremmanueltayloronforsept6incincy
ideasforprovodnikovsnextrioschaveswinnerherreraandmaybebradley

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?