Yes, THERE IS an Algieri-Provodnikov Rematch Clause

BY Michael Woods ON June 19, 2014

Algieri-Provodnikov

Is there a rematch clause? Or no?

I've heard yes, I've heard no since right after Chris Algieri decisioned RuslanProvodnikov on Saturday, June 14 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and on HBO.

You can excuse the confusion…Heck, the two main promoters, Provodnikov guy Arthur Pelullo and Algieri helmer Joe DeGuardia, admitted vagueness on the status of a sequel at the postfight presser. They looked at each other, and both expressed a haziness on the subject when asked what the contracts for the bout called for in regards to a rematch.

I checked in with Vadim Kornilov, manager for The Siberian Rocky, and asked him, point-blank, if there is a rematch clause for another Algieri-Provodnikov bout.

"There is a rematch clause," Kornilov told me.

Now, whether or not Provodnikov and company want to exercise that is maybe another matter entirely. You might recall Provodnikov made it publicly clear that an Algieri style isn't his favorite type to fight in the leadup to the fight. He announced that he was hoping that the Long Islander wouldn't make it a track meet, and said that all things being equal, he'd prefer to fight someone who sees the sport more so as "fighting" than as "boxing."

"Yes, it is definitely a bad fit stylistically," Kornilov said. "But I think Ruslan has a good chance of knocking him out."

If I am Team Provodnikov, it goes without saying, I am weighing all options. Even if I am able to make an immediate rematch, do I want one? Am I likely to perform better in a sequel? Or would we be likely to see more of the same from the New York boxer, who in fact might be that much more difficult to handle in a re-do, because his confidence as a champion has ticked up X percent? Could Provodnikov, following an intense Freddie Roach drilling-session of a camp, do better at cutting off the ring, forcing Algieri to go where he doesn't want to go, do what he doesn't want to do…or is what we saw what we'd get the second time around? Anyways, clauses are built to be broken, many times. You don't think something could be figured out to make all parties happy if a Manny Pacquiao-Chris Algieri fight we fashioned?

Readers, weigh in, play manager here. If you are Kornilov, do you pursue a Provodnikov-Algieri rematch..or let that sleeping dog lay, and go after a fight which makes better stylistic sense for your boxer?

The Commish says:

I'm not so sure Provodnikov wants to exercise that clause. He is not thrilled with facing a guy who moves and boxes as much as Algieri. He'd rather face a guy who is willing to play his game and stand toe-to-toe (Mike Alvarado). This loss to Algieri is nothing. Provodnikov will be right back in the mix in his next fight.

Hopefully, Provodnikov's braintrust finds him an opponent with far less stamina and defensive abilities than Algieri.

-Randy G.

Agreed ... It was the Siberian Rocky's name ... a name that promises knock out thrills which enabled the broadcast to obtain its relatively huge viewership.

Besides the chances are high that a rematch would be less entertaining than the original. Algieri wont give Ruslan the opportunity to clock him like that again.

thegreyman says:

-Randy G.

It's not the defensive abilities or stamina that made the fight such a bore, it's just Algieri's style (not knocking the kid, that's just what it is).

I hate to say it, but styles make fights, and Provodnikov needs to be matched up with the right style. Someone who's willing to stand toe to toe and slug it out till the end.

Provodnikov's potential for entertainment is incredibly high when you match him correctly stylistically. I'd love to see him fight Rios, though unfortunately he's just signed a fight. Hope to see it one day though. Both guys who love dishing it out, and don't mind taking some.

thegreyman says:

True, though Provodnikov may come in a little more refined, with some wisdom behind his wildness, some method behind the madness.

He may actually bother to jab his way in, defend a little better, and use the right hook a little more. He still needs to work on going to the body though. He head-hunts more than a native savage...

It's a possibility. He needs to focus on winning rounds as well as just breaking the guy down by just walking towards him for better or for worse, for 12 rounds straight.

But I guess that's why we love him.

oubobcat says:

If I am Provodnikov's management team, I pass on the Algieri rematch and look towards other options.

The style of Algieri will always be tough for Provodnikov. Can Provodnikov make some adjustments and come out successful in rematch? He certainly could but it won't be an easy night and there is the possibility too that Algieri fights even better and wins more decisively. I say pass.

Instead, focus on getting the winner of Rios-Chavez. If I manage Provodnikov, I have him there at the fight and make it known I want the winner. The styles of each are much more to Provodnikov's suiting than Algieri. And sense a fight with Rios or Chavez really can't be anything but a war, HBO would certainly be interested and be willing to pony up a few bucks to make it happen.

Provodnikov would have much better odds at being successful in such a fight and re-establishing his reputation. A win and he is right back in line for bigger and bigger things.

Skibbz says:

-Randy G.

I have to agree with you Commissioner and Ruslan knows it too. Stylistically he will not do well against Algieri's of the boxing world. As you said he wants to slug it out toe to toe, and he loves it. Let him face someone who will play him at his game and we will see a much better side of Provodnikov.

Algieri won't be worrying about a rematch either, he knows that Ruslan doesn't want to go another 12 no matter what he got hit with - or what he didn't - because chances are he will come up short again in the eyes of the judges. I couldn't catch your show with Algieri on it, where does he see his boxing future now he has a world title?

thegreyman says:

A rematch wont do Provodnikov any good. It's a lot of time and effort to get the best back, and at the end of the day, he'll have only beaten Algieri. Forgive me for putting the guy down, but if if they fight consecutive fights, and Provo beats him next time around, then Algieri will swiftly drop back off the radar.

There's other fights in 140 and 147 for him to look to. More exciting and more rewarding fight, which, if I were making the matches, I would look for.

Coming off a loss, it may be more difficult for him to land an immediate title fight, but there legitimate challengers around who could provide fantastic entertainment.

Idealy for me: Broner, Matthysse, or, in a perfect world, DSG. Maybe a Rios at the end of the year.

The Siberian Rocky will be up for another track meet. I'm going to lend him some speed. And he is going to smoke the New York dasher flasher -- nowhere near a smasher -- OUT!

OMG! I'm betting big that tSR is going to eat dat speed sucka indeed like Siberian goat hash. C-Al is going down for a big crash.

I ain't hatin.' I'm just personally statin.' Holla!

thegreyman says:

So, if Algieri doesn't get Pac (and I hope he doesn't) will The Siberian Rocky offer him a rematch? A proper gameplan from Ruslan this time could see a much more entertaining fight. We'd have to see which fighter, and perhaps more importantly, which trainer, learned the most from the first fight.

I have the suspicion that the second would be a stinker too though, and would only further damage Provo's career.

If Algieri can run for 12 with a broken face, he can run for 24.

You saying Provo would have him in the rematch Radam? What makes you so sure?

If Algieri can run for 12 with a broken face, he can run for 24.

You saying Provo would have him in the rematch Radam? What makes you so sure?

He know exactly what C-Al is to do now. And he, the tSR, would body snatch C-Al more the second time around. Legs cannot move with speed with a damaged torso in pugilism. The noggin cannot think clearly and SLOWS down the all body.

In every single combat, the legs won't move with swiftness and zoom speed from a pain-aching gut, liver, rib or lung. And pain in the torso sends electrical signals to make thinking hazy and lazy. Hehe!

It is the way to protect neurons from more damage. The purpose of the body is to protect the brain. Shut down the smooth operation of the body's protection, and the neurons, electrons and protons temporarily go into super slow-mo or deep sleep.

Ask anybody who has been clocked with a killa' body shot how everything slows down and becomes blurry. Holla!

The Commish says:

Provodnikov v Rios would be a very interesting fight. As for a rematch with Algieri, I doubt there will be one. Algieri is looking for other worlds to conquer while Provodnikov really doesn't want to get stymied like that again.

Smoke the NY flasher dasher--OUT!

Lol! I thought you knew boxing better than that, Radam.

-Randy G.

thegreyman says:

I get that Radam, and I'm a big Provo fan, but I just don't have the faith that he'll really commit to the body, round after round. I'd love to see him do it, but it's something he's neglected so long as I've watched him. I hope you're right, though I doubt he'll get the chance to prove it.

Latest Articles

frankiegomezisnowqthepatientpitbullq
sancheznobodyat160canstandthepowerofgennadyq
fightnetworkwillshowfuryustinov
yogolovkinmiddleweightchampbreakstrainingforstagedebut
isgolovkinaspecialfighterorjustaspecialpuncher
mayweathermaidanarematchtorunonboxnation
patrickhylandandcharlesmartinwinondibellacard
reportfromgolovkingealepresseratmadisonsquaregarden
robertogarciabreidisprescotttopsfnf
arumgoesallinonalgieri

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?