Talking About: Is Sergio "Shot," and One More Farewell Fight

BY Michael Woods ON June 09, 2014

Segio Martinez

It is Monday, and wounds, mostly to the psyche, are being attended to by Team Sergio.

The boxer is back in Spain, wrestling with the fight on Saturday night which saw him get discombobulated, and probably concussed by a shot to the side of the head in round one.

"Sergio was dizzy after the first round and the following nine rounds were fought totally on heart," said Team Martinez' Nathan Lewkowicz.

So, will he fight again?

Too early to say, said Lewkowicz on Monday afternoon. He could foresee, though, a fight in Argentina, an adieu fight, one more for the road.

He is set financially, having hooked up his family with houses from his purse from beating Kelly Pavlik…so squandered funds wouldn't be something to force a return. The fighter is invested in mutual funds, and draws an allowance, and isn't a Floyd sort collecting autos and the like.

I have seen, bopping around the Internets, some folks saying they thought they were sold a bill of goods, that promoters over-sold Sergio's physical condition entering the bout. Not so, said Lewkowicz. "You saw him at the open workout, Mike, he was moving perfectly."

Yes, I must state for the record I didn't get the feeling before or after that anyone in the Sergio camp was thinking their guy was shot, and took this Cotto scrap as a cashout. His legs felt good going in, I am told, for real, and all truly expected him to get the better of the Puerto Rican.

I told Lewkowicz that some people are using the "s" word, saying the 39 1/2 year old is shot. He doesn't think so, and reiterated that "Maravilla" got dizzied in round one, and that messed him up for the duration.

Now, do I think Martinez' reflexes have dimmed…that being knocked down seven times in his last four times suggests something…yes.

He likely peaked in 2010, and now, at 39, his chin wiring is more suspect. He can't slip shots like he used to, and his hard drive gets funky from shots that he used to eat and digest.

Martinez has a warrior heart, and if the man wants to do a farewell in fight, then I say go for it. Do I want to see him in with anyone possessing more than a 20% KO ratio? No. But if he takes some down time in Spain, and decides his warrior heart needs closure with just one more, then I say he deserves that gold watch.

Follow Woods on Twitter. https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

Skibbz says:

Well I wouldn't expect to hear anything different from the Lewkowicz' regarding Sergio and his knee. A final farewell in Argentina... I wouldn't be watching it to be honest not live anyway.

If it's against a solid opponent he's not going to do well. If they give him someone to beat then it won't exactly it probably won't be worth the time to watch it.. I think Sergio should just retire, recover his knee and cherish the great times he has in his wonderful and hard earned career.

oubobcat says:

I think the signs were there but not all of us (myself included) saw it that Sergio's best days were far behind him. He got old and the injuries took a toll on him. He couldn't move like he wanted to, couldn't slip punches and couldn't get any leverage on his shots.

Is he a shot fighter? I don't know if I'd use that term but he will never be able to beat a top 10 fighter again.

Does a farewell fight make sense? Maybe though like Skibbz said I am not sure if I'd be watching. First, Sergio needs to take a lot of time to relax and reflect. He knows his body better than anyone else. Then if he has that desire to do one more big show in Argentina against a well selected opponent, I say go for it. He had quite a run in becoming the Middleweight Champion of the World and if physically able deserves to go out on his terms.

Good write up.

Sergio is a genuine guy, he didn't sell out for money he truly believed he still had the heart and ability to overcome his deficiencies. Cotto showed him otherwise.

I for one would hate to see that knee go out on a farewell fight and possibly hinder him the rest of his life. He has a lot more to offer after boxing. I say hang them up and be proud of your accomplishments, he sure has enough fan support to do so.

Ser-Mart is not shot. And there will be no farewelling. Dang! Dude lose one fight in 15 years. And ev'ybodee and dey momma are crooning the fat lady's song. OMFG! A prime Ser-Mart would not have beaten the M-Co that showed up at MSG on that first Saturday in June. Holla!

The_King_AJ says:

Good post Mike. Unfortunately he is shot.

Fear not, nation of Argentina. Brian Carlos Castano is his successor.

I have never been hit in the back of the head. How bad could that have effected Sergio? Is it possible he was damaged and or dizzy from the first knockdown on? Have any of the boxer types around here been hit in the back of the head? Can Sergio claim that everything went wrong because he was fouled and demand a rematch? Do I have anymore questions? No, not at this time.

thegreyman says:

He's shot. He's been a great fighter, but we could all see from that first round, it's over for him.

I'm with everyone else- he should hang up his gloves and enjoy the fruits of his labours.

Yes! That happens. Maybe you don't remember me telling the Universe that Joey R rabbit punched me so hard that I didn't recall the fight, day, city or winning da darn scrap.

But I know that it happened because I saw it on film. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

The bombing left hook to the back of the head coupled with other shots he took in the 1st could definitely have impacted the fight but props to Miguel, he fought brilliantly and he was in great shape.

If Cotto fought the Sergio circa 2009 2010 this would have been a totally different fight.

Ser-Mart definitely was staggering and falling around like a p¡$$¥ drunk because of M-Co's shots. Not even a small percent because of Ser-Mart's Jerry rigged knees. M-Co buzzed him early, often and hard.

Messed up his equilibrium. I would not be surprised if an injured eardrum caused Ser-Mart to dance the night away looking like a drunken sailor.

He got his arse handed to him. And all ought to suck it up. Instead of guesting it up, and searching for alibis to discredit M-Co's beat down. Holla!

I don't think so. During the period of "2009 2010" Ser-Mart was fighting pugs coming in straight and going straight back. No side-to-side moving. No shift punching. No body snatching. No feinting. Just letting Ser-Mart control the bout with hand-down, hopping around and flick punching.

As I've always said back then, M-Co, Money May and/or Da Manny would force Ser-Mart's corner to rescue him. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

That's debatable, because Manny, May, and Cotto were not lining up to face him while he was becoming a premium name, even when he offered the former two a 150 lb catchweight. And Money and Pacquiao faced similar opposition as far as straight forward and back especially the latter at 140-154, while Martinez fought the likes of Bunema, Cintron, Williams (who everyone avoided) and Kelly Pavlik (whom BHop enhanced his legacy from).

There is no mystery here Cotto beat the crap out of a fighter was unable to over come his previous injuries. Roach said a thousand times before the fight that Sergio was shot and they were going to retire him.

But how often can you take Roaches word?. His preflight mantra never changes.

I appreciate what Lew has to say but it would be the same as the lame duck President (Barak Obama) saying "Vote Democrat in the next election because us democrats are the best"

hearing a pleading Sarmiento passionately declaring to Martinez "its over... I'm stopping it ...
the knee is not working Sergio". Was the only irrefutible audible confirmation needed.

Sergio cashed out.... He never did anything strenuous in front of the camera for the preflight media and he walked through a very tame and uninspired warmup before the fight.

Its not like we didn't know about his potential physical disabilities status going in..it just wasn't known to what degree he was hurt after undergoing three surgeries.

Personally I thought Martinez would have been able to improvise a better strategy.
Sergio simply did what countless boxers did before him.

Another faded warrior greeted the bright lights...waved to the adoring crowd and entered a battle that he had no hope of winning. He accepted his beating like a mercenary and passed the torch to someone who had been in search for redemption and found it.

The Shadow says:

But how often can you take Roaches word?. His preflight mantra never changes.

Sergio simply did what countless boxers did before him.

You said it all here, brilliantly and in your trademark poetic eloquence.

I'm not saying that Martinez would have dominated any of them but it would have been a tough fight for all three of them.[/O QUOTE]

True dat, true dat! But Ser-Mart did start pestering Money May and Da Manny to fight him. They ignore his-wanting-fight-little-men arse.

Ser-Mart never fougt a fighter with the movement of M-Co. Ser-Mart was well matched to optical illisionified him. He could have fought Froch, Dirrell, Q and even SOG. But the bully was smaller-man hunting. Holla!

Cotto fought a terrific fight... I think he would have given a completely healthy Martinez a rough night..... kudos to Roach he knows how to bring the best out of his guys.

Skibbz says:

But how often can you take Roaches word?. His preflight mantra never changes.

Sergio simply did what countless boxers did before him.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that, when you hear Sarmiento say that to his fighter with Martinez pleading for another round it really allows you to empathise with both of them.

What I admire most about a person is their ability to fight on through no matter what they're facing. It's the most admirable trait anyone can possess in my opinion and Martinez has it in sack fulls.

Carmine Cas says:

You can't blame him, he was a late bloomer can't fault him for wanting the big fights, he was prize fighting. They all happened to be smaller guys, he offered weight concessions to Pacquiao (who was matched well through his run at 140-154 to look great) and Mayweather who matches himself properly for the same reasons. And when Mayweather, Pacquiao, and Cotto fought fighters similar to his size Sergio has every right for the bigger fights even more. He could have fought the bigger guys but the money was not as good as fighting the little men who have fought men similar to his size.

"They ignore his-wanting-fight-little-men arse." Hahaha good one

Honestly out of Mayweather, Cotto, and Pacquiao I'd say Junito has been more willing to take on the tougher opposition in recent years.

"They ignore his-wanting-fight-little-men arse." Hahaha good one

I agree. And Junito is no doubt tougher than he is smarter. If he was smarter than tougher, he will be still be undefeated. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I agree. And Junito is no doubt tougher than he is smarter. If he were smarter than tougher, he'd still be undefeated. Holla!

Definitely! It seems Cotto has learned from his past mistakes, so he can still make the best of things!

The Shadow says:

Yes! He refuses to put himself at a disadvantage in negotiations; his adviser is a Haymon lite. Incredibly smart and shrewd.

Latest Articles