De La Hoya Enters Hall of Fame

BY The Sweet Science ON June 09, 2014

De La Hoya

(CANASTOTA, NY): Capping a legendary athletic career that included 10 titles at six different weight divisions; a gold medal and dozens of championship fights, International "Golden Boy" Oscar De La Hoya was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame today in Canastota, NY.

"Today marks an incredible personal achievement, but it is only the latest milestone that never would have been possible without my family, my friends and, most of all, my fans," De La Hoya said during the ceremony.

De La Hoya, 41, went into the Hall of Fame as part of an All Star class that included rival Felix "Tito" Trinidad and undefeated Super Middleweight World Champion, Joe Calzaghe.

Hours before the official induction ceremony, De La Hoya announced a $50,000 donation to the International Boxing Hall of Fame to mark the landmark's 25th anniversary.

"Not only are all the legends of our sport honored inside the Hall of Fame, the people of Canastota are so knowledgeable and passionate about boxing, it was my pleasure to play a small part in maintaining the building and grounds in this wonderful part of the country."

De La Hoya touched on numerous topics during his speech including the familial nature of boxing, his legendary matches with a cadre of superstars and the future of the sport.

"We must put aside the egos that have damaged our brand and sullied our reputation. We, the promoters, must stop carrying petty grudges that serve no purpose but to divide our sport. And most important, we must give the fans the fights that they want," De La Hoya said.

Congratulations to Del LA Hoya.

I hope his final words aren't discarded like the well meaning rhetoric of a presidential campaign. The type of speeches that get a big applause but are later swept away like the confetti littering the convention floor.

Skibbz says:

Congratulations to Oscar and all the rest of the inductees, also a nice gesture by Oscar to donate to the IBHOF. I'm sure he will go on to bigger and better things yet!

thegreyman says:

Congrats to the Golden Boy, I hope he continues to move himself and his company in the right direction, and continues to provide the fans of this beautiful sport with the very best entertainment he can, as he has done through his career.

deepwater2 says:

Oscar did a great job at the Hall. He donated some big money. He even added to the Live Auction. Some of the prizes were not getting good bids so Oscar added some perks like , a chance to climb into the ring and have your picture taken before the main event at Canelo Lara. Oscar really made agood impression up there and the fans loved him. Ali's signed glove got a low bid so Andre Ward jumped in and got the auction going. I think Ward won it.

oubobcat says:

Oscar did a tremendous job at the Hall. He made himself very available to the fans all weekend and was more than willing to take extra time to sign autographs and pose for pictures. The same can also be said about the other inductees as well. They all set a wonderful example of what it means to be a Hall of Famer.

The_King_AJ says:

I rate De La Hoya, I really do, probably around 58-70 ish in all time rankings.
I consider that he beat prime Trinidad, roided Mosley in the second fight, Quartey..even fight with Whitaker, lost to Felix Sturm as an overweight middleweight who had no business in that weight class, hence there was no wonder why he lost to an even bigger Hopkins (that loss is a weird one, some say he threw the fight). Considering that Mosley was busted for roids, you have to question whether he was roiding for their 147lbs fight.

Pacquiao fight = De La Hoya was shot and weighed less than Pacquiao on fight night after being at 154lbs for 7 years - bizarre.
Mayweather fight = A past prime DLH who was just a part time fighter

So really, there's a HUGE 'backstory' to every single fight of Oscar's.

thegreyman says:

I rate De La Hoya, I really do, probably around 58-70 ish in all time rankings.

Mayweather fight = A past prime DLH who was just a part time fighter

So really, there's a HUGE 'backstory' to every single fight of Oscar's.

I would sooner see the latter part of his career as: The struggles of a man who came up from featherweight, and went on the win titles in six different weight classes, before arriving at middleweight in the closing stages of an illustrious and history making career, ducking nobody, and still providing highly entertaining fights to the fans.

I wouldn't be so quick to rain on Oscar's parade- it'll earn you few friends.

The_King_AJ says:

I wouldn't be so quick to rain on Oscar's parade- it'll earn you few friends.

When I rank personally, I don't reward robberies etc. I wouldn't call it too much of a struggle either considering he was a weight cutter.
I'm not raining on Oscar's parade considering how high I rank him, which is most probably in the 58-60 range than the 68-70th range.
Six different weight classes - Oscar from what I recall doesn't even think he deserved it.
Oscar is one of my top 10 favourite fighters of all time.

Latest Articles

manybignamessettoattendboxfanexposept13atthelasvegasconventioncenter
gggamarcoantoniorubiohitlaforwednesdaypresser
exmiddleweightchampjermaintaylorarrestedforshootingcousin
wbcsayswbaandibfwillnowuseinstantreplay
sergeykovalevisbernardhopkinsworstnightmare
soundslikerigocouldbejoiningfrankwarrenstable
lateefkayodefightsluisortizonsept11
quotesfrommayhemmediadayfrommaidanasantacruzvazquezmore
thecomebackwentofftherailsnowformikejonesqwellseewhathappensq
publicistswansondefendsmayweatherqyeshecanreadq

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?