Looks Like Stiverne Will Defend WBC Crown Vs. Wilder, This Fall

BY Michael Woods ON June 05, 2014

STIVERNE

Bermane Stiverne will make the first defense of the WBC crown he won on May 10, when he stopped Chris Arreola, against Deontay Wilder, sometime in the fall.

The word of the scrap comes from WBC boss Mauricio Sulaiman, in NY overseeing the WBC middleweight clash between champ Sergio Martinez and Miguel Cotto.

Stiverne, born in Haiti, living in Florida, training in Vegas and advised by the Canadian manager/promoter Camille Estephan, will be a most difficult hurdle for the hard hitting but still green Wilder, an Alabama resident with one punch power, but a thin résumé.

Readers, your thoughts? Some had thought Stiverne might try for a quick crack at Wladimir Klitschko, or sneak in an interim bout, against a foe of his choosing, a winner's choice title defense. But it looks like he will invite Wilder to test his pop and skills against a hitter two steps up from anyone the bomber has met.

FollowbWoods on Twitter. https://mobile.twitter.com/Woodsy1069/tweets

Skibbz says:

No huffing and puffing will blow down his opponent this time.. Wilder will be up against what he hasn't seen for a long time. A serious competitor hungry to win, determined to hold their title and continue on their own path of success. Up till now he's faced the opposite.. It will be a real test of his potential, he's either going to dominate Bermane or he's going to get flattened.

I fancy Stiverne taking the W, keeping his belt and casting real doubts on the real ability of Deontay Wilder.

I read a couple of days ago that Don't Kings rapidly waning influence failed to sway the heir of the WBC's top position to reconsider allowing Stiverne to take a voluntary in his next fight.

Stiverne needs that green lacquered hardware to gain admittance to the big dance... And how could the first heavyweight champ of Haita so easily vacate appointment to a fighter who barely had twenty amateur fights and by most accounts far less than twenty worthy opponents in the professional ranks.

Its going down.

Its going down and we will learn a lot about Wilder when it does.

Please don't think I'm being negative or over critical of Wilder... Its my personal hope that he exceeds all expectations and restores our national pride to the formally great fraternity of American Heavyweights.

However after being burned by one American hopeful after another by the useless slackers of this once great weight class.... I'm sure you can understand why I don't give a f•••, ... I'm mean,... why I'm losing faith in the possibility that we can return to international prominence again...

Hopefully...Wilder will prove me wrong.

I don't buy until the contract are sign with none-disappearing ink! Holla!

thegreyman says:

Wilder's sure to be exposed at some point, and I reckon it'll be sooner rather than later. Stiverne's going to come in serious for this one, more serious than Wilder has seen an opponent in perhaps his entire career, amateur or professional. The Haitian, I'd warrant, has a whole lot of pride coming in to this fight- he has his whole country riding on him, and I'm sure he feels it very personally. I hope he puts in some serious training for this fight now that he's champ, and does the occasion the justice it's due.

Wilder will of course be hungry as hell for this one too, it's the heavyweight championship of the world after all, so I'd expect a stellar performance from the American. Hopefully this will bring the best out of both men, and we'll see a heavyweight championship fight to remember.

If Stiverne can take Wilder's punches through the opening part of the fight without getting shaken, I'd give him a strong chance of putting the first L on the Bronze Bomber's record. If Wilder can start catching Stiverne though, and Stiverne gets rocked, then it'll be the same story as we're used to seeing with Wilder.

Personally, I see Wilder's far superior athleticism, mobility and power getting him through this one. Perhaps we'll see him tested more than we have done previously, but in the end I can't see Stiverne standing victorious at the end of the night. I'm expecting a late stoppage for Wilder, or alternatively an early stoppage for Stiverne if things go his way. I can see it going either way, but I'm leaning in favour of the big man.

Wilder will drop one day, but I don't think it will be this day.

DaveB says:

This is a hard one to call. It is more of a question mark on Wilder than Stiverne but can Stiverne stand up to or avoid what Wilder brings? Too many question marks although I will favor Stiverne slightly because he looks like he can fight or at least has his fundamentals down. I think it will be a quick night either way unless both guys fight cautiously. There should be a good build up to the fight. I just hope that Wilder doesn't put too much faith into his height and reach and overestimate it to the point that he doesn't forget to tuck in his chin and use a jab to get in and out. There is a long time between now and November so anything could happen or not.

The Commish says:

Gotta' head in the opposite direction, Skibbz. I, obviously, am more than a casual observer here. While I, too, would have liked a Fres Oquendo, Derric Rossey or even a Cris Arreola--someone of that calibre--in front of Wilder prior to the big man's shot at Bermane Stiverne, such will not be the case here. It's title fight next for Big D.

While I expect Stiverne to put up a heckuva fight, I don't see him winning. Arreola hit Stiverne and hurt him. Wilder will hit him and finish him. I recently got to watch Deontay spar six rounds against three different heavyweights. He toyed with each one! He is getting better and better every time he steps into the ring. He is refining his left hook and working on making his jab the best in the heavyweight division. In his sparring sessions, he was doubling and tripling up on the jab and firing the hook to the body. He still loves his monstrous overhand right, but is now throwing it more and more from the shoulder with leverage.

Wilder is only going to get better. His work ethic is strictly top-notch. Sure, Stiverne is going to be his toughest test. But likewise, Wilder will be Stiverne's toughest challenge.

This will not be Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin--a clinch-filled yawner. If anything, this is going to be one heckuva heavyweight title fight.

This will be the night Deontay Wilder becomes Heavyweight Champion of the World.

-Randy G.

I like the report of the Commish and TheGrey... Hopefully you guys are the oracles, the heralding angels of the arrival of the new golden age of the heavyweight division.

It would be great to see an American sitting atop the most fabled division in boxing again.

Especially one who can end a fight with one punch.

I still feel that Stiverne is too savvy, strong and experienced. But I may finally allow myself to hope again.

-Randy G.

I'm not feeling you, Commish RG! How many times have you seen that multi jabbing, mean right-crossing, body-hooking D-Wi hit in the liver, or popped on the temple or tagged on the chin in sparring session or any other time?

It is a set up with those slow-fat-arse moving and flaunt-punching sparringmates.

B-ware B-Stiverne is a fast, heavy-hand Haitian sensation who is going to fist hex a Rex -- means king in Latin. D-Wi is not silky smooth, but a king satin-flashy boxing charlatan. And I'm riding with B-ware to exposed D-Wi. And make him quit. Holla!

Skibbz says:

Some really interesting points of view.

@Commish I don't trust in Deontay's Jab! It's p**s poor in my opinion.. With his reach and build he should have it like a whip, licking his opponent and back in time to defend himself from a counter. He's got a serious right hand and if he added a whip like jab (roger may see) then he could perhaps beat Stiverne. But right now it's nothing like a whip, and it's not the most accurate from what i've seen. Stiverne will find himself be able to time the jab and smash Wilder on the button with a right hand over the top. It's just a KO waiting to happen right now... and I fancy Stiverne as being the man to do it.

I don't buy it until the contracts are sign with none-disappearing ink! Holla!

Da Don K can almost move mountains. It is appearing that he is once again making the powers that be drink out of his match making of heavyweights' fountains.

Da Don K has always been phat with power dropping moolah into his hat. Dude can make the seeing blind and the knowing develop amnesia. http://YouTube.com/watch?v=4-75x-W2Pzg. Holla!

King Beef says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;55402]I was right for not buying it. The pugs' rumor mill is now Jumpin' Shack -- I mean Jack -- LOUD with it not happening.

Da Don K has always been phat with power dropping moolah into his hat. Dude can make the seeing blind and the knowing develop amnesia. [url]http://YouTube.com/watch?v=4-75x-W2Pzg. Holla![/QUOTE]

Hope your wrong Ray G, I was hoping to finally see Wilder in with a decent opponent.

The Commish says:

We're getting close to an announcement of the date of Stiverne's defense.

I'm pretty sure I know that date and would love to break it on here, but I must hold my tongue, as well as keep my fingers from typing that date anywhere.

Tough thing to do.

So, this is just a tease. Sorry. It's the best I can do.

For now.

-Randy G.

thegreyman says:

Can't wait to see Wilder tested against Stiverne. The test could be a little tougher, but I'm sure it will be an entertaining fight- as good as any we've seen in the heavyweights recently.

oubobcat says:

[QUOTE=The Commish;55482]We're getting close to an announcement of the date of Stiverne's defense.

Tough thing to do.

So, this is just a tease. Sorry. It's the best I can do.

For now.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

I really hope we get the Wilder fight. This would be a really, really good heavyweight fight and the kind of fight that could begin to breather some life back in the heavyweight division in the US.

Bernie Campbell says:

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=Bernie Campbell;58335]Two major stiffs! wilder is too dopey getting involved in that fiasco in Vegas some time back! Stiverve is overweight, slow, telegraphs is punches and got his *** handed to him by Ray Austin when the fight was ended by Stiverne on a lucky punch![/QUOTE]

He is overweight and flabby. Do you think Robert Helenium beats Stiverne?

Stiverne isn't fat...just has a blubbery body type like Larry Holmes. The guy has remarkable athletic ability for a guy who appears to be soft on the exterior. And he certainly isn't lucky. Stiverne practices how to time his big shots for the right moment and has the patience to go with his strategy.
I hope the fight is a go... We all need some heavyweight excitement in our lives.

oubobcat says:

That fight with Austin he looked terrible. But he is a different fighter now than he was when he faced Austin.

I remember before the first Arreola fight last year Stiverne talking quite a bit about that performance against Austin. He insisted he took the criticism to heart and worked on his game. If you watch the tape of the Austin fight and then that first Arreola fight, you see a different fighter. Much like Shawn Porter learned from his first fight with Julio Diaz, Stiverne learned and grew from that Austin fight. It may have been the best thing that happened to him in his career.

Latest Articles