Cotto: "I Will Find a Way to Win"

BY The Sweet Science ON June 02, 2014

cotto

Miguel Cotto Week 4 Write-up/Blog: Monday, June 2

Question for Miguel Cotto - How will you use your power and movements to sow down Martinez? Chavez couldn't hit him for 11 rounds. How do you hit Martinez?

Answer: I have followed every single direction that Freddie has given me. We have been working really hard to get in to this fight in our best. Everybody knows the fighter that I am and what I capable to do in the ring. Chavez is Chavez but Miguel Cotto is MiguelCotto.

As everyone in boxing knows styles makes fights. I believe my style and my experience will be very important in this battle with Sergio Martinez. I am coming to fight the way I know how to do it and it has nothing to do with how other boxers fight certain opponets.

In the preparation for this fight I have focused on what Freddie has asked me to do and I am prepared to go 12 hard rounds and to battle every minute of every round. I have always believed that you win fights round by round. I prepare to fight my fight and make adjustments as the fight goes along and I will be ready to go to war at any time.

All boxers are different and we all approach the fights in different ways. This fight is very important to me and I have prepared the best way that I can. I will find a way to win and take the title back to Puerto Rico.

Skibbz says:

Miguel Cotto being Miguel Cotto will no doubt give his 100% but I feel he's a bit torn up from wars in the past, he's gone for the easier option of those on the table in Martinez and he's tried to exert his position on him before the fight even started. But none of that matters once the first bell rings, then it'll come down to two men and their wills to win. If he can cut off the ring and land on Martinez he has a solid shot to take the belt, if he can't exert himself in the ring after a few rounds then I'm giving it to Martinez who will frustrate him and maybe drop him in the later rounds.

If Cotto is going to make determined efforts to go to the body and starts missing his energy will go fast. Missing the body takes more out of the tank than missing the head, and it can leave you vulnerable too. Looking forward to the first 5 rounds.

thegreyman says:

Cotto's been knocked about yes, but at the end of the day he's a warrior, and I have no doubt that he can still take it as hard as he can dish it out. If anything, those punishing wars he's been through have defined and strengthened his fighting resolve, rather than sap it. And when you consider that he'll be in MSG, where there will be so many proud Puerto Ricans backing up their hero to take another world title, I don't think we'll need to worry about Cotto's will to win.

Cotto for one, has no lingering physical ailments from wars past. The same cannot be said for the 39 (thirty nine!) year old Argentinian veteran.

If Cotto can get Martinez where he wants him, and start punishing the man, then I can't see Martinez being able to win the fight. No way no how.

But if Martinez can keep control of the distance, and work Cotto from the outside, then Cotto could end up getting beat fair and square. We'll see if Martinez' knee allows him to keep moving for as long as it lasts.

I think you're right to be looking to the first five rounds- whomever can assert their dominance in those rounds will almost certainly end up the winner in my opinion. If Martinez is going to be working well from the outside, then he'll need to be doing so solidly for the first five, and then step up the pressure as Cotto flails hopelessly out of range and wears himself out. Walking into those big Martinez shots and landing little of his own for those first five rounds will set Cotto up for near certain defeat.

Similarly, if Cotto can use those first five rounds to find his range, cut Martinez off and exert plenty of his own pressure, doing some solid work on Martinez and pushing the older, injury fraught man to his limits, then I can see the fight swinging further in Cotto's favour as the rounds go by.

thegreyman says:

Skibbz says:

I have to disagree Grey on Cotto not being war torn. He's just as torn up as Martinez in my opinion if not more after the batterings he's taken from many fighters in the past.

If Cotto manages to win 3 of the first 5, it'll make things very interesting. If Sergio is up after 5, i'll be banking on him to take the W.

spit bucket says:

I'm picking Cotto. He's going for an historic feat and that will fuel him. I doubt he'll take a knee in this fight. if it's true that he & Freddie are concentrating on going to the body it will bode well for Miguel. Sergio relies on lateral movement for defense and if Cotto goes downstairs effectively, he can slow down that defense. And once he has him trapped, he'll land brutal hooks to body & head. I also suspect that because Sergio wants a knee brace, he needs it. His mobility may be great in the early rounds but with an unstable knee and Cotto's body punching, Sergio will eventually succumb and Miguel will make history. If Cotto can bloody up Floyd, he should be able to land on Martinez...
Cotto by SD (because some judges don't give full credit for body punches landed.)

stormcentre says:

This has the makings of a very good fight.

Martinez really dislikes Cotto, but Martinez is also open for almost every punch in the book - particularly from guys slightly faster than Cotto.

If the Martinez that fought Williams in their first Martinez V Williams fight shows up . . . . .

Cotto will need his "A" game and to not be too plodding in his chase routine.

If Cotto starts to land hard, Martinez will also realize there is a reason Cotto is a legend - and he is.

The guy (Cotto) has basically fought a rouges gallery of whose who fighters over the last 10 years. And as such - as far as I am concerned - has absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of legacy - even if he were to get KO'd by Sergio when they meet.

It's going to be interesting to see how Cotto manages and adjusts to Martinez' movement and hand-speed, pearly on; if he can do that and also land on Martinez, Martinez will go down at sometime.

Pacquiao would have given Cotto the best preparation for Sergio that he could get - an all too often overlooked reason guys lose to Martinez; thinking all they need to do is bring a southpaw in for sparring and that’s that part of the riddle handled.

It’s a brilliant situation for Cotto down there at the Wild Card gym for that reason alone, and this is why Cotto is happy, confident and undaunted about the big fight as he goes into the Martinez V Cotto fight at MSG.

As Miguel Cotto knows he has - what normally befuddles most guys that lose to Martinez - down and sorted; preparation for not just a fast and mobile Southpaw - but a fast, mobile, determined and powerful Southpaw.

There’s a difference between Zab Judah, and even Austin Trout, and Sergio Gabriel Martinez.

And whilst Martinez really hasn’t got a significantly higher KO rate than Trout, or even Judah for that note; the way he knocks (some) guys out involves a high level of commitment and power, and himself being out of range and possessing a diagonal stance as he throws that left cross/hook.

Pacquiao, from what I can see, is the only other guy out there right now that not only throws that same punch almost as identical - for someone whom is not actually Martinez - as Martinez; but also emulates and improves on several areas that Martinez does pretty well in too.

For instance; footwork, angles, intensity, and hand-speed.

And despite how it may appear to not be; power is also a pretty good match too.

Cotto will be ready.

I had this fight a toss up at first. As we inch closer I am picking Sergio to win by wide UD or late TKO. I can't stop thinking about that Trout fight. Cotto could never get inside on the slick moving Trout. Martinez is better than Trout. He knows Cotto's only chance is to get inside and maul. Sergio will use his legs and pot shot early and then bring the pain to Cotto late. If Cotto doesn't land something big early he is in for a long night. Credit to Cotto for taking the risk for the money and the glory of winning the Middleweight belt but he is gonna get pounded late.

stormcentre says:

All good points there Roast.

The Trout fight got me thinking too.

Basically, in my view, it all comes down to how well Cotto can adapt and adjust (without losing his power and timing) to Martinez’ movement, speed and sense of pace.

Martinez will be looking for the KO though.

So if Cotto can't adjust, or even if he can - but just whilst he hasn’t yet and/or before he does - he will have punches coming at him that not only have some pretty bad intentions on them - but they will also not be without inertia behind them and/or looking to make it any easier for Miguel to adjust.

You're right, if Martinez starts landing and Cotto starts hurting; he’s in for a lot of trouble.

It’s not like Cotto is going to develop a smooth and fluid like style overnight that’s not fussed with what Martinez does as a result of training with Freddy.

But, it is like someone that will capitalize on mistakes Martinez makes if Cotto’s timing is there.

I was surprised how he wasn’t too flustered with Mosely when they fought, and I am not sure Sergio is any faster than Shane was then; although he has more power.

It will be a good fight.

Latest Articles