Pacquiao Re-Signs With Arum Thru End of 2016

BY Michael Woods ON May 20, 2014

Pacman-and-Arum

Attention fight fans...Manny Pacquiao has squelched any drama, about whether he would split with longtime promoter Bob Arum.

Pacman and Arum extended their deal, through the end of 2016.

The ramifications of that? Well, I'm guessing that as long as Pacman is with Arum, Floyd Mayweather will do as he said he would, and continue to avoid a Mayweather-Pacquiao promotion.

Here is the release which went out Tuesday early afternoon.

TOP RANK AND MANNY PACQUIAO EXTEND PROMOTIONAL AGREEMENT THROUGH '16

LAS VEGAS, NV (May 20, 2014) --Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank, is pleased to announce that Top Rank has signed an agreement with Manny Pacquiao and MP Promotions extending their promotional agreement through December 31, 2016.

"We are pleased that together with our partners at HBO we will continue presenting to the public fights of the great Manny Pacquiao through the end of 2016," Arum said.

"The partnership among Manny, Top Rank, MP Promotions and HBO has been a wonderful one for all parties and for the public and it's great that is will continue for the years to come," Arum said.

The Commish says:

It's called loyalty.

Pacquiao has it.

Does Arum?

-Randy G.

Agreed...... But Mayweather said Paq had to jump a few more more hoops to be able to secure the fight, such as signing a contract with the money team... and fighting a couple of fights under the TMT banner.

I know... Sounds like a joke ... But Floyd said it with a straight face.

I know... Sounds like a joke ... But Floyd said it with a straight face.

Sounds like a way out of the fight for Floyd. Floyd prides himself on being a smart businessman but then offers the dumbest thing possible. So either Floyd is a complete horse's ***, or he knows this will get him out of the fight.

Which is it?

I know.

samsa says:

The best chance for a Pac-Floyd fight looked like Pac going as a free agent for one or two fights before going back to Top Rank to finish out his career, like how Cotto did. This seems like a step backwards.

The Shadow says:

This might answer some people's questions: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2cmsWz3YWyA

Roach confirm, he said fighters will fight. It's the promotional situation that's causing the hold-up, as everyone can see.

Why in the world didn't he go the Cotto route?! He doesn't need a promoter unless there's something going on that the public knows.

[QUOTE=The Commish;53189]That's called loyalty. Now, if Marsa Bob had any, he'd sit down with Manny and ask if he really wants to face $$$May. If the answer is yes, Arum whould should do all he can to make the fight happen. It's worth mega-millions to Pacquiao. If $$$May says the only way he'll agree to the fight is if Arum has nothing to do with the promotion, Arum should back off and let Manny take the fight.

It's called loyalty.

Pacquiao has it.

Does Arum?

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

YES! Da Bobfather has it and gets a lot of hate for only God Knows why.

I love Da Bobfather's favorite line to scribes: "When you asked me yesterday, I was lying. Now today, I'm telling you the truth."

Live long Da BobFather! Long live "Loyalty!"

When and if Money May wants to fight Da Manny, Money May will tell you that he felt that way about Da BobFather at that time. But now, he feels differently.

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;53217]YES! Da Bobfather has it and gets a lot of hate for only God Knows why.

Live long Da BobFather! Long live "Loyalty!"

We are dealing with "The theatre of the unexpected." And optical illusions are everywhere. Holla![/QUOTE]

The Commish says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;53219]When the so called best of all time says that another boxer must leave his promoter if he wants to make the fight , it could be the lamest excuse of all time. Opponents shouldn't give a rats a$$ who the manager is or the promoter is. As long as the boxing demands are met and the purses are sorted out ,its fight time but in this case it is excuse time.[/QUOTE]

You got that right, Deep. How tired are we of hearing the same 'ol story from $$$May about not wanting the fight until Pacquiao leaves Top Rank. Promoters squabble. Fighters fight. Let TMT squabble with Top Rank forever. Just let the fighters fight.

The sport of Boxing deserves the best fights and so do the fans.

Bob Arum re-signed Pacquiao for another two years. I'm sure he will put him in some lucrative, meaningful fights. Nothing can be more lucrative or meaningful than a brawl for the ages against $$$May.

I, for one, still want to see that fight take place.

-Randy G.

DaveB says:

[QUOTE=DaveB;53234]I hope the fight gets made too. I think we all do. It is really hard to believe I'm writing this because I thought 2011 would be the close out date. But anyway we are not going to jump through hoops to get it made. Heck with that. Make the fight on merit and not bowing and scraping. Mayweather is not God.[/QUOTE]

But he is definitely an aboulomaniac. And leary to high heaven of losing to Da Manny. Holla!

Skibbz says:

The Good Doctor says:

[B][/B][QUOTE=Skibbz;53274]I want to make a poster out of this comment and stick it on the wall of every boxing gym I can. So long as the money's right, your opponent's clean and all the regulatory hoops have been cleared... tie em up and get it on! Telling Pat "I won't fight you because your promoter's Bill" is a shoddy excuse.. A fighter never has an excuse![/QUOTE]

It is a really sad excuse. I think Floyd has convinced himself, falsely or not, that dealing with Bob Arum will make the money not right for him and that in some shape or form that he will be making money for Bob.

I seriously believe Floyd wants to humiliate Paq for the libel suit initiated by Paq a few years back. He never mentions it but losing the libel suit to Paq is the most publically humiliating moment in his career. Floyd over reached the boundaries with the drug use accusations and was FORCED to pay a possible seven figure sum to make it go away.
Its like being forced to pay alimony to a gold digger , the pain never goes away and the stench is ever present.

My recommendation would be to get some therapeutic pay back in the squared circle.
Refusing to fight is like cutting off the arm to spite the hand.

deepwater2 says:

Thanks man. It's a sad day for boxing when the p4p champ demands a rival drop his promoter. I'm sure advisor/ manager/ music promoter al Haymon and the Swiss cheese banker are advising Floyd to do this. They want to be the main outfit and want arum and top rank out of the way. Think they whispered in Julio Jr's and Mickey Garcia's ears also?

Latest Articles

martinezsaltyatpearsonforpullout
canthecongressmanstillkayo
espn2willteleviselivethe12roundibfeliminatorfightbetweenmiddleweightcontendershassanndamacurtisstevens
quotesfromfightersonsatmayweathershoboxcard
newsonbaylessinqcorneredqgolovkinrubiotixinfo
mexicanboxinglegendslikechavezandmoralestalkmarcosmaidana
ronnyriosandantonioorozcoonoct9fs1gbpshow
checkoutthissneakpeakfromallaccess
lanellbellowsnotachampyetbutsaysqimalreadywinningq
kikomartinezcarlframptonliveonawesept6

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?