Woods: I Like Stiverne's Focus and Fire Ahead of Arreola Rematch

BY Michael Woods ON May 09, 2014

Bermane_Stiverne

I like it. The edge. The coiled demeanor. The fire.

I like how heavyweight Bermane Stiverne is acting days out from his rematch against ChrisArreola, which will be shown on ESPN--not ESPN2!....and on PRIMETIME!--on Saturday evening.

Stiverne was asked by Marcos Villegas of the Boxing Channel where the fire is coming from.

Has Arreola burrowed into the head of the Haitian-born hitter, who lived in Canada, and now calls Florida home?

"Not at all, not at all under my skin," he said. "We're talking about a world title, being champion of the world." The boxer, helmed by Camille Estephan of Eye of the Tiger, and the inimitable Don King, said he wants to be a composed destroyer, a patient predator, on Saturday, at USC.

I simply dig the importance that Stiverne seems to attach to this test, to this WBC crown vacated by Vitali Klitschko. I'm guessing that this POV is going to translate into how he fights, that his in-the-ring manner will match his talk. I expect his combos to flow smoothly, and Stiverne to transfer some of that surliness into his fists. "I don't buy into nothin," he told Villegas, when asked about some of the "brand new Arreola/this time is different" talk coming from that camp. "Especially from Chris."

Yep, I dig it. Give me less of that "we're all making money together" vibe, and more of this sort of almost-boiling-over emotion. "There's always an excuse with Chris," Stiverne continued, noting that the Cali boxer could explain a loss by citing excessive weight loss.

A win from a Haitian would lift that nation's spirits a good bit, could give those people an influx of hopefullness. "I'm here to inspire people that come from where I come from...I grew up with nothing," he said.

Check out this video, of Stiverne showing a proper game-face on Thursday, at the final presser ahead of the clash, to screen on ESPN.

oubobcat says:

Stiverne to me looks very focused and confident. Remember, he did handle Arreola the first time around. Arreola and his camp claim that the broken nose he fought with from rounds 4-12 severely negatively impacted his performance. It did, no question but it was also a perfect hard right hand that landed from Stiverne at the end of round 3 that broke the nose. Also, watch a tape of that fight. The first two rounds Stiverne looked tight and didn't really do much. But he got in a rhythm in that third round and was dominating that round when he scored that knockdown.

Bernie Campbell says:

Nevermind this technical jargon for the true meaning of the French Word Merde! Ustinovs big buttox should have condiderate!

Whadup, B-Camp? It's been a while. Welcome back! A Friscoe is going to win the WBC Heavyweight world title belt. Hehehehe! Holla!

Stiverne should have saved that precious emotional energy for the fight... I could feel it all the way in columbus . venting too early can be detrimental to retaining that monomolecular edge. Hopefully there's more where that came from.

El Dude says:

Bermane Stiverne and Chris Arreola are two BIG Tanks packing tons of bombs capable of an all out destruction. They are set, all has been said and the weight has been made, all that's left is the carnage. Bam, Wham, thank you man now take some of mine you son of a warrior. It will be a back and forth venture with KO potential with these types of credentials. The Heavy-Weight Division is on fire, Yes Sir like like El Dude the human type writer on full auto like the Ghost Rider.
El Dude not taking cover.

The Commish says:

As I said in an earlier post, I will wait to see what both guys look like at the weigh-in before making my pick. The last time they met, Cris Arreola weighed a soft and gooey 248 pounds while Bermane Stiverne weighed a half pound more. For this one, I wondered if Stiverne, who has been going up in weight five pounds over his last three fights, would weigh in over 250. If he did, and Arreola came in around 230, I would be picking "The Nightmare."

So, when Arreola weighed 239 and Stiverne 239 1/2, I saw all I had to see.

Stiverne wins.

Gerry Cooney doesn't agree with me on my weight theory for this fight. He said with heavyweights, weight doesn't matter, especially just a few pounds.

"What's the difference if Arreola is 239 or 229?" Cooney asked on our show last night. "And what's the difference if Stiverne is 239 1/2 or 249 1/2? Nothing!" he said.

I told him I don't agree.

I believe those 10 pounds show a dedication and attention to training. Sacrifice. Hard, painful, tedious, steady work. No cheating. Stiverne apparently put in the time, dedication and attention. Arreola apparently didn't.

A friend of Arreola called into my show last night. He said he is disappointed in the way Arreola looks. Cooney said, "Well, Cris has one of those bodies that will never be ripped and shredded."

That may be true, but you can look at a man and know if he's put the work in. From the way he looks, I would say Arreola has not. Even Arreola's friend believes that.

"He looks soft," said the friend. "His arms, which are generally tight and defined, look soft. I know how he lives. He is a partier. I thought he would curtail that and give 100% to this fight. Why wouldn't he? It's not just another fight. It's for the heavyweight championship of the world. If he wins, he gets to face Deontay Wilder for some serious money. When I saw him at the weigh-in, I shook my head. I don't believe he put the work in that he should have. If he is to win, I think he is going to have to catch Stiverne early. The longer it goes, Arreola's chances become less and less. My heart wants Arreola. My head says Stiverne."

So does mine.

Stiverne by late round TKO.

-Randy G.

So, when Arreola weighed 239 and Stiverne 239 1/2, I saw all I had to see.

Stiverne wins.

I told him I don't agree.

So does mine.

Stiverne by late round TKO.

-Randy G.

The Cali Crusher Cris put in the work. He is going to shock all doubters. He doesn't have or need a Hercules's body. Neither did Samson. But he was one strong mutha and foolishly thought that it came from his hair.

TCCC is going to break B'Ware's ribs and jaw. All night, TCCC is gonna beat day jive sucka to da draw.

Da Don K' s pug will a BIG hug. TCCC is going to mess up his hair and his mug. The dance will be over in seven rounds or less. Holla!

Skibbz says:

Going with Arreola KO in the mid rounds!! Looking forward to a heavyweight slugfest.. Please let it be.

Bermane acting funny in the build up and Chris looks like he wants to put some serious pain on him for what he's said.. Not long now!!!!

Domenic says:

I'm going with Stiverne by decision (Arreola is tough as nails and hard to stop). Don't see why this will be any different than the first. It's tough to win a rematch when a guy had your number the first go-round. I think Arreola will have his moments early, but grow frustrated and lose hope. Should be action packed.

Kudos to ESPN for staging this one and putting the spotlight on the heavyweights.

Fight is starting ...I got Stiverne by eleventh round too.

El Dude says:

El Dude is watching and I just gave my thoughts on the undercard fight between Amir Imas vs The Cuban Ugas, check it out.

El Dude says:

El Dude just saw the fight between Chris and Bermane and I laid down my thought on the battle, check it out.

Good scrap...

oubobcat says:

Good scrap...

As a famous announcer once said "That's what heavyweights are supposed to do."

Fun fight to watch and if Wilder is in fact next for Stiverne, well that will be fun as well. I am so glad to see some real excitement back in the heavyweight division.

As for Arreola, that man has tremendous heart. His career is not done as long as he dedicates himself to the sport. He can make noise still in the division if he can be disciplined in his training go forward.

Stiverne got a Fifth round ko in what appeared to be a seesaw fight.
Still waters run Deep and the new heavyweight champions speed, cunning and ability to absorb pain and deliver debilitating right hands makes him a dangerous player against anybody in the division.
Before the Klitchko supporters start lighting their torches and raising their pitch forks...admittedly Wlad will be an overwhelming favorite when they meet. But Stiverne possesses the power and intellect to be a threat to stop anyone.
Deontay Wilder has to enter graduate school where the safety of soft opposition will no longer be available to placate his ego.
It's time to leave the baby pool and take off the training wheels..... Against Stiverne he will face his first real indoctrination into the heavyweight division...its like going from doing book reports in high school to completing a dissertation for a doctorates degree.
The heavyweight division just got interesting again.

El Dude says:

You got the Bermane Stiverne vs Chris Arreola stoppage at the 5th but it was actually the 6th. Just to let you know my friend.

Thanks EL Dude....
Great fight ... Areola appeared to be getting back into the fight in rounds 2, 3, 4.... but was visibly tired by the fifth that's why the round stuck in my mind... Chris tried ...hope he can rebound.

As a famous announcer once said "That's what heavyweights are supposed to do."

He's not done but nobody has done what Stiverne has done to Areola. ...Stiverne is smart in the ring and has well honed skills. I can envision him stopping Wilder.
Of course Wilder can do the same... It'll be be good while it lasts.

oubobcat says:

Of course Wilder can do the same... It'll be be good while it lasts.

By the way, great call on the prediction. You called that one for sure from the seesaw fight to mid-round ko by Stiverne.

Wow! Driving back to the SDC. Nothing seems as it should be. Cris came close. But to B-Ware Stiverne, I must toast. It was indeed the Haitian's time. And Cris walked into a landmine. And, KaBOOM! It is time for B-Ware to shine.

The theatre of unexpected is always near. And how a bout is going to end is not always clear.

Now Da Don K has another heavyweight champ to promote. And bags of money to tote. And on B-Ware S, Da Don K is going to get on his cheat. And that is something nobody can beat. Not even Uncle Sam. Da Don K has even made the U.S. Gov look like a ham. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I'd favor Stiverne to kayo Wilder if he survives the early onslaught...which I think he will.

Arreola looked like he got his sh*t together, making the subtle adjustments to win rounds.

Latest Articles

visaissueclearedupdiegochavesiscleartofightrios
kovalevcaparellorioschavesvargasnovikovcomprisesathbocard
scoutingreportforkovalevcaparello
wbcprezsulaimanattendsassociationofboxingcommissionsgathering
golovkinleavesnoquestiontowhothealphafighterat160is
klimasdubiousthatwardkovalevcouldbemade
nextforlomachenkoqiwantnumberoneq
celinathesweetheartsalazarwinsincostarica
commissionerscornerataleoftwodivisions
fightnetworkthrowsuslaunchpartyinny

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?