Erislandy Lara: "We're Going To Take Canelo To Cuban School"

BY The Sweet Science ON May 07, 2014

canelo-lara1 3b081

CANELO ALVAREZ vs. ERISLANDY LARA PRESS TOUR HITS SAN ANTONIO

HONOR & GLORY: 154-Pound Showdown

Saturday, July 12, From MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas; Live on SHOWTIME PPV®

Tickets are on Sale Now!

CANELO ALVAREZ

"It truly is an honor to be here amongst all of you. Whenever I am doing anything in boxing, San Antonio is on my list because you guys treat me like family.

"I am going to prepare myself like always to give everyone a great fight. This is the fight the fans have been asking for and I am going to prepare myself for a great victory.

"I love it here and I'd love to fight in San Antonio later this year. Thank you very much."

ERISLANDY "THE AMERICAN DREAM" LARA

"There's nothing more to talk about, the fight is made. On July 12 we're going to take Canelo to Cuban school."

JOSE "CHEPO" REYNOSO, Canelo's Trainer

"Canelo has a gift for everybody July 12 and it's going to be a victory against Lara."

EDDY REYNOSO, Canelo's Manager

"July 12 we're going to be ready like always and give a great fight.

"Like my dad said we have always admired the Cuban style of fighting, but in Mexico we also have great fighters.

"On July 12 all we're going to do is give this guy here a beating."

RONNIE SHIELDS, Lara's Trainer

"I want to thank Oscar for coming back to the sport and building the company that's the biggest company in boxing and they put on the best fights.

"We're here because two of the best fighters in the world decided to fight each other. This is what boxing is all about. Boxing needs this.

"It takes time for the best fighters to fight each other, but when they do, there's a lot of fireworks."

OSCAR DE LA HOYA, President of Golden Boy Promotions

"They are fighting for the honor of being world champion and the honor of being the best inside that ring.

"Right now you are looking at the best 154-pounders in the division, Lara and Canelo. The fact that Canelo wanted this fight shows you that he wants to be great and he wants to fight the best in order to be known as great.

"I commend Canelo for choosing this opponent. He's dangerous and he's a real opponent. There's a lot of similarities between these two fighters and come July 12 we'll see who is the best. I think this is going to be a terrific fight.

"In Cuba you have incredibly talented fighters, Erislandy Lara is no exception."

CHRIS DEBLASIO, Vice President of Sports Communications, SHOWTIME Networks

"We are putting on the biggest events in boxing with the most marquee names in the sport, and they are fighting tough fights. That credit has to go to Oscar De La Hoya and everybody at Golden Boy Promotions.

"At just 23-years-old Canelo Alvarez is making a name for himself as fearless and ready to fight anybody.

"For Erislandy Lara, he's had an incredible journey, from leaving his home country of Cuba to fighting professionally to making a name for himself and becoming one of the most difficult fighters at 154 pounds and one of the most feared guys in boxing overall.

"This fight is the quintessential fight for Showtime, with one of the biggest names in the division fighting one of the toughest fights of his life and that's what we're all about."

El Dude says:

The Legendary warriors of the past came from Dojo's run by Mastering Teachers of the mind, soul and the spiritual. The Boxing Ivy Leagues include a few like Cuba and Jalisco Mexico. This is not political nor racial, in Boxing its the Best from the Best from all over the world. The Young Guns, Saul Canelo Alvarez vs Erislandy Lara blasting off for pride, glory and money. Students of the Boxing class pay attention, this is not 101 this is graduation.
El Dude seeking a diploma.

oubobcat says:

I really don't think this is as tough a fight for Canelo as many are making it out to be. Lara is not as fast and does not deal with fighters who come forward very well. Lara is also very vulnerable to the left hook to the body and straight right hand which are two very strong suits for Canelo. And Lara can't match Canelo's hand speed. I think Canelo's people took a close look at tape on Lara and made the same determination as I am making which is why they took the fight. Its a calculated risk and one that I think will pay tremendous dividends for Canelo. We will see in a few months.

oubobcat says:

The Commish says:

I think this is definitely Lara's fight to win or lose. He will be pressured throughout, and he has much more trouble with guys who pressure him than those who box him. In Canelo, he will feel the pressure, no question. However, we hear he has been preparing for the pressure and will be ready for what Canelo brings into the ring.

While lots of you don't foresee a very interesting bout, I think you'll see both men rise to the occasion and fight their hearts out.

As a sidenote, we hope the MGM fixes their post-fight problem of exiting the arena, as seen with the stampede which occurred after $$$May's WMD 12 Marcos Maidana. That was one scary scene!

-Randy G.

People are falling too in love with Lara, who is an excellent boxer. A SLOW as Moses Angula got to him all night and beat him up.

Canelo is thrice as fast and quick as Angulo with quadruple the firepower.

I honestly see a mid fight stoppage for Canelo. I think he learned his lesson from Floyd boxing his ears off at distance. He realizes he needs to be up in that pocket to do damage not on the outside looking in.

I see Canelo reeling off combinations that hurt and stop Lara..

Canelo is thrice as fast and quick as Angulo with quadruple the firepower.

I see Canelo reeling off combinations that hurt and stop Lara..

You got something there, A-seng. I don't and have never seen any greatness and adroitness coming from Lara. But my jury is still out. I have to sneak into Texas and get a peep at him at the Plex Gym.

deepwater2 says:

Canelo gets points for making the fight.

oubobcat says:

Canelo is thrice as fast and quick as Angulo with quadruple the firepower.

I see Canelo reeling off combinations that hurt and stop Lara..

Not only was Angulo finding Lara an easy target to hit when pressured but so was was Carlos Molina. Molina was racking Lara with left hooks to the body and straight right hands. These defensive flaws were still apparent in the Angulo fight.

I agree, I like Canelo to dominate and see him getting a mid-round stoppage. When a step back is taken and the fight really analyzed, I think this is an easy fight for Canelo and not as difficult a challenge as so many think it will be.

deepwater2 says:

Funny that Espinoza is not at this press conference

The Shadow says:

Funny that Espinoza is not at this press conference

He's not? I could've sworn I read a quote from him on the podium. Yesterday he wasn't there because he was at Sports Emmys.

Oubobcat and Amayseng, you guys are absolutely right in theory but are forgetting one thing in practice:

Canelo doesn't have the temperament of Angulo. He's a classic boxer-puncher in the B-Hop/Floyd/Dirrell mold who models his style after Floyd Mayweather.

He has the dimensions and athletic ability to do what Angulo did, sure, but he doesn't have the make up to do what Angulo and MMAidana do, it's not "him" nor will it ever be.

You can drill it all you want but it's not who he is. What he is is a good boxer. This is why he boxed with Floyd.

How good of a boxer is he? We don't know yet.

What we do know, however, is that Erislandy Lara -- with the exception of his father Lorenzo Aragon -- has been FEASTING on a steady diet of superb boxers his whole life, as evidenced by the ease with which he disposed of Austin Trout.

Canelo is a good boxer. I suspect Lara is a bit better. But Lara's Achilles' heel is sustained pressure, something that does not come natural to Canelo.

Something's gotta give.

The Shadow says:

He's dazzling in practice, great poise and supreme ring intelligence. The Charlos learn so much from him when they spar. That truly is "Cuban school" being taught.

Due to lack of experience, I still think he's struggling to adapt, mentally, to relentless pressure over the course of more than four rounds. That's when he burns nervous energy, withers, and ultimately falls apart.

Cubans got some nice, cagey, sneaky tricks that I have yet to see many people speak about. That bailed him out vs. Angulo.

In practice, he's supreme. Go check him out.

Latest Articles