Adrien Broner Handles "Not That" Carlos Molina With Ease

BY Michael Woods ON May 03, 2014

Mayweather Lite Adrien Broner took on Carlos "Not That"  Molina in the second PPV bout before Floyd Mayweather gloved up against Marcos Maidana on Saturday night at the MGM.

Broner was solid after a slow start, in control, but the showing wasn't a barn-burner, wasn't leaving the fans saying, "I must see him again." Maybe a name foe next time will help his up his game. As it was, he took a UD10, via scores of 99-91, 98-92, 100-90.

He called it a "sparring match on TV," and the crowd booed, understandable if you ponied up big money for the PPV.  He swore, and Jim Gray asked for class and dignity. Gray wondered if the weight is the right one for him. They're all good, he said. AB said he wants Pacquiao at some point, and the silence spoke volumes. People aren't caring as much. He's come quite far from being in contention as the next PPV driver, I'm afraid.

A 140 pound crown was up for grabs.

In the first, the fighter from Cali ate jabs, and hooks. He tried to bring it at the end of the round, to steal it, but he didn't.In the second, the flashy, blingy, love to hate him persona Broner, was too busy and slick for Molina. An overhand right, then another, off a combo platter,  by Molina jazzed the crowd, but he mocked it.

In the third, Broner hit Molina low. He was warned. Molina showed, maybe, better hand speed and ability to put together a combo than some might've figured.

In the fourth, Broner decided to up his out put, edge closer, be nastier. It worked.

In the fifth, uppercuts worked for Broner; everything did, really, as his volume overwhelmed the massive underdog.

In the sixth, Molina got more active. But Broner has the bigger pack of tools and he took another round.

In the seventh, Molina was hanging in there, striking at the end of the round he lost, and the two barked after the bell.

In the eighth, Broner scored and then moved, as Molina looked to track him down. Molina didn't succeed enough to take the round.

In the ninth, AB pressed forward, after a round of retreating. It worked.

In the tenth, Broner outlanded the loser by a fair margin, yet again. Molina landed some shots late, but we went to the cards, after a middling scrap.

The Commish says:

Yes, Broner won, but what a lowlife he is. I thought Jim Grey was gonna' hit him with the microphone during the post-fight interview after Broner dropped a few "F-Bombs."

Did you hear those boos during and after his interview? Broner has got to be the most detested, despised fighter I have seen in my 45 years in boxing. He's interesting to watch in the ring, and just as unwatchable in an interview.

I am sure I am not alone as I await the day he faces another beating like the one he got from Marcos Maidana.

That day can't come fast enough.

-Randy G.

oubobcat says:

That day can't come fast enough.

-Randy G.

That interview was hideous. I really don't want to hear him talk anymore unless he can start acting more mature. From the reaction on social media, it seems more and more fans are echoing that same sentiment.

As for the fight, very non-descript performance by Broner. He won and did so by a wide margin (the only rounds I had Molina winning were 2 and 3). But he once again abandoned the jab to walk his opponent down. And still fought in spots with a lot of dead spots. I saw a fighter who did not learn anything at all from the loss to Maidana. Yes he won but he needs to start listening and learning otherwise against better opposition he will fall short.

Carmine Cas says:

I'd love to see Broner get what he wishes for, Pacquiao! Oh boy would that be great!

Everytime Broner opens his mouth it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth, he's not polarizing he's just an arsehole.

The problem is an impoverished version of Floyd and pretty soon no one will be looking to invest.

The Commish says:

In all my years in this sport, I can't remember a more vile, classless, lowlife than Adrien Broner. His fights are fun to watch, but he should no longer be given a stage to be interviewed after the fight.

Let him leave the ring, go back to his dressing room and talk to the mirror. That's the only one I canthink of who will enjoy what he has to say and how he says it!

-Ranhdy G.

DaveB says:

Broner is an okay fighter. When I saw him the second time his father combing his hair is why I remembered him. If you take away all his antics and mimicking Mayweather he is just an average fighter unless he is fighting someone smaller and not as strong, then he is a little bit above average. He is still a sucker for the right hand, he can't seem to defend against it. When he is in with another puncher or speedy boxer look for him to lose again. I would love to see him in there with Providnokoff (misspelled). If he wants WW fight Thurman. He started to do that humping thing again but Bayless stopped him. Also Bayless should have penalized him a point for that take down.

Carmine Cas says:

Good point, he's best against smaller fighters with limited power.

Oscar should put an end to the cold war and give big mouth a shot against Pacquiao

Skibbz says:

This fight should have hopefully opened the minds of Adrien Broner fans to the reality that he is not a world beater. What should have been over in 2 was stretched the full distance. He can grab a plastic strap whenever it's available but a real champion he will never be.

Even Khan couldnt stop Molina.... Who has never been stopped ... Broner looked really good and is far better than average. However he should leave the shock-jock commentary to the likes of Howard Stearns.. Broner should hire a publicity agent to teach him the ropes of self promotion. Broner vs Lamont Peterson would be a good fight.... He should stay clear of Garcia and Mattysse for now.

The Commish says:

Brownsugar: You are so right about Broner's shock-jock commentary and post-fight trash talking. I think Broner v Lamont Peterson would indeed be a good fight. As far as staying away from Danny Garcia and Lucas Matthysse, I only pray that either one of those two are next for him.

I'm falling to my knees right now.

Dear Lord,

Please let either Danny Garcia or Lucas Matthysse be next to face Adrien Broner.

Thank you.

Amen.

-Randy G.

I'm falling to my knees right now.

Dear Lord,

Thank you.

Amen.

-Randy G.

LOL,.... there is a place for all Gods creatures,... even proven A-holes like Adrian Broner.

deepwater2 says:

I'm falling to my knees right now.

Dear Lord,

Thank you.

Amen.

-Randy G.

Broner is the thing you wipe off your shoe. He punched out a grandma and robbed her purse. He is not even a respectable criminal. He was gifted this opponent and did not look good at all. GIGO . Garbage in garbage out. Just like Floyd was friends with 50 cent , this broner friendship will pass.

riverside says:

deep, talked to Gomez, we want him on the Canelo undercard, Im confident by boy will expose him.

deepwater2 says:

That would be great. Rough that slime ball up! If he tries the dry hump throw him out of the ring

Pac would beat Broner into another dimension. Could you imagine what Pac would do to him?

With the trash talk leading up to the fight with Broners complete lack of morals and respect and you could bet Broner's dumbass would make fun of Freddy's handicap, Pac might beat him into a hospital bed the rest of his life.

Broner is suffering from a clear mental illness. But because he is making money, those around him are in deep self denial about his obvious illness.

He will pull back to jail or a psych ward sooner before later. Holla!

Skibbz says:

Khan couldn't, but I didn't expect Khan to. Broner is all hype. He's after the fame and riches before the glory. He's disrespecting the sport with his actions in and out of the ring and sooner or later he will pay for them mistakes again. I expected Broner to come and put on a real display of his 100% on possibly the biggest stage of the year.. We didn't get anything close to that. He isn't one to last.

oubobcat says:

Broner is the product of a lot of hype and very smart matchmaking. Look at the opponents he fought and how he has fared against them.

Lets start with his first real test, Daniel Ponce De Leon. Broner may have gotten that decision but he lost that fight. Watch a tape, Ponce controlled the action and the dead spots that Broner is infamous for. Broner landed some flashy punches but Ponce was more consistent. No question in my mind Broner got a major gift.

I think that fight scared his management after that. Look who he fought...Jason Litzau, Vincente Rodriguez, Eloy Perez and Vincente Excobedo. All fighter who had some skills but had little power and had their limitations. Broner looked great in these fights but lets be honest how couldn't he?

Then there is the Antonio Demarco fight. This is probably Broner's best performance. He dominated Demarco from the start. How good is Demarco though? His best win was when he caught John Molina early. He was losing to Linares when he pulled that fight out of the hat late. But was being dominated to that point. I think its a legitimate question.

Next was Gavin Rees...Rees is tough but small and limited.

Then came Paulie Malignaggi. Remember, most experts coming in thought Broner would dominate. He would walk through Paulie and beat him in a similar manner to the way Amir Khan did. Well, that didn't happen. Malignaggi gave Broner a very tough fight and one that some thought he may have won. Once again, there were too many dead spots for Broner (a recurring theme in his fights) and Malignaggi controlled those dead spots. It was Broner's flashy combinations that ended up catching the eyes of the judges and carrying the fight.

Maidana was far and away the best fighter Broner fought and Broner got beaten and exposed in many ways.

And now Carlos Molina. Many of us thought this would be easy pickings for Broner. Yes he won but not impressively. He never really seemed to hurt Molina who gave Broner a very tough fight in a losing effort and much tougher than most thought. Molina is a solid fighter but does anybody think he beats (or really competes) with anyone in the top 10 at 140?

Broner is to me a product of smart matchmaking. But when he steps up, as in the Ponce De Leon and Maidana fights, he will have issues.