Adrien Broner's Shoulder Roll vs. Carlos Molina's California Pressure Style

BY David A. Avila ON May 01, 2014

video-undefined-1D7B288F00000578-366 636x358 c2dd2One fight gathering steam is former world champion Adrien Broner's clash with Southern California's Carlos Molina.

The two junior welterweights from different parts of the country are coming off losses and looking to claim a spot among the top 140-pounders in the world.

Molina (17-1-1, 7 Kos) has not fought in more than a year and Broner (27-1, 22 Kos) last fight was in December. They meet on Saturday May 3, at the MGMGrand Garden Arena in a 10-round fight for the pure reward of respectability.

"Beating Broner I'm right back there at the top of the mix with the elite fighters. He's a great fighter and everybody knows who he is, so beating AdrienBroner, I'll be right there getting ready for a title fight," said Molina, 28, of Norwalk, Calif.

The last time Molina stepped in between the ropes he was matched against United Kingdom's speedy Amir "King" Khan at the Los Angeles Sports Arena onDecember 2012. Right from the beginning the oldest of the Molina brothers was under water with a bad cut on his eye from Khan's slashing blows. Eventuallythe fight was stopped in the 10th round but Molina was glad he tasted the elite class. It's where he's always wanted to be.

"I was excited man when they said there's a possibility you might fight Broner. Wow, I'm back in the mix with the elite fighters, that's very motivatingfor me," said Molina who is managed by Frank Espinoza.

Broner has world titles in the junior lightweight, lightweight and welterweight divisions. That's quite an accomplishment when you meet him in person. He'sa wee guy who uses his boxing skills and quickness appropriately to compensate for his small frame. He's dropping down to junior welterweight a divisionmore suited for him than the welterweights. His loss to Marcos Maidana helped drive him toward the move.

"People want to know if the loss (against Maidana) has humbled me and of course it has. If I would have won that Maidana fight people would be calling mean asshole. People still call me that, but now I thank God that he slowed me down in my tracks even though it is still a heavy and fast train. Right now,Denzel Washington couldn't stop this train," says Broner, 24.

A previous fight against Paul Malignaggi who at the time held the WBA welterweight world title showed that the weight class was a bit much. It alsoprovided a blue print on how to attack the shoulder roll style of defense the Cincinnati fighter employs.

Molina's aggressive Southern California style will be matched against Broner's shoulder roll it should prove engaging.

"I don't think I've fought anyone in the pros that does the shoulder roll. Maybe in the amateurs. I've been sparring with some guys that do the shoulderroll and were getting pretty comfortable with it. It's a matter of just adapting to it, getting used to it I guess," said Molina.

Broner expects Molina to come full force when they meet on Saturday.

"Carlos Molina is a hell of a fighter and he is going to come to fight. He's going to come to kick my ass because I'm sure as hell going to come to kickhis," said Broner.

Molina knows it's a critical fight in his career and one that can open the door to more great fights.

"I've got to be smart. And utilize the same skills that Maidana and Malignaggi, all those guys were doing," Molina said.

Broner and Molina are opposites in many ways, but each need a win to escape a lynch pin to future goals.

"You never know what to expect from an opponent until you hit that ring, but I can tell you that I will be victorious and it will be in a spectacular way"Broner said.

Molina agrees that every fight has its own surprises.

"You always learn from different fights. We did see some weaknesses in Broner and we plan to show that on May 3," Molina said.

SouthPawFlo says:

Even though I know it won't happen a Broner vs Pacman Promotion would be fun to watch...

Broner definitely has more charisma and flair than "Boring Bradley!"

oubobcat says:

I hope I am wrong but I just don't think this is going to be much of a fight. Broner is getting a nice payday (very nice payday) for a fight that essentially should be a confidence boosting fight.

Molina is an ordinary fighter with solid skills and no power. When he faced Khan, he had no answers for Khan's speed and didn't have the power to garner any respect from Khan. I don't know how things will be any different for him when he faces Broner.

I do hope to see Broner actually use his jab. He has abandoned this punch in the past when he had outclassed opponents in front of him and was able to simply walk them down. However, against better fighters using such a technique tends to not go so well (see the Maidana and Ponce de Leon fights). Yes, he could walk down Molina without any problem and probably have quite a bit of success in doing so. But if he does, that will show me that he did not learn anything from the Maidana fight.

Actually Molina gave Khan a decent fight. He fought like a man trying to do more than collect a paycheck... And Khan is arguably a better fighter than Broner. If Broner does manage to have his way with Molina it will be because of his preparation.... But I do agree that this can be considered a "safe" fight for Broner in the regard that Molina is nowhere near to being considered a heavy puncher. Too bad they didn't get the "other" Molina.

The Good Doctor says:

If Broner is the typical Broner that we have seen, this fight will play out like the Paulie fight. Broner will start slow, not being very active and take some shots. Molina will be active because of his style and may even have a moment or two early. Broner will lose rounds early but around the 6th or 7th round will get cranked up and begin to pop Molina often and win pretty much everything from 8 on. Broner will not respect Molina's pressure simply because he does not hit hard enough to back Broner up.

I do believe this fight will be a requiem on his career thus far. He has a beatable opponent in front of him, a chance to really shine, and the possibility to set himself up for a rematch with Maidana or maybe something even bigger. If he has learned anything he will try to end it early and show some refined technique in his jab and defense. If he does not show any improvement and even worse if he stinks it up, he will be at an interesting crossroad early in his career.

flackoguapo says:

I think Molina is faster and has more pop than Gavin Reese. I think this fight will resemble that one (bronervsReese) more than it will the past recent fights of Broner and Molina. I still like that Broner is cocky and seems to have belief. I wouldn't want to see a

fighter do a 180 and seem to be pulling back their punches. Knockout win for Broner and I think he gets thrown in the mix with top fights at 140 ONLY. Hate to underestimate Molina but he is the dog here and he is going to have to bite down to try and land

something. I want to see what Broners defense looks like, I use to think he didn't get out the way before because he fought smaller dudes, but he fought Maidana,who isn't a small dude (relative to Brroner) and Broner just could not get out the way.

What about Broner's mentality?

What happens if Broner gets buzzed by Molina, a guy who is suppose to be a confidence building fight?

Will Broner become reluctant due to memories of Chino flooring him numerous times, buzzing him, staggering him all over the ring while beating him to a pulp?

Or does Broner dig deep and step on the gas?

I can see Broner being out boxed again and given a decision, a la the Paulie fight

flackoguapo says:

What about Broner's mentality?

Or does Broner dig deep and step on the gas?

You're right. Who knows how Broners fight mentality is? And this fight doesn't seem like one that can provide those answers but you never know. Maidana is so much more concussive than Molina, even though I have a feeling Molina will come out trying to

push Broner and make him uncomfortable by being extra-aggressive.

El Dude says:

Molina is no joke who comes to fight and he has all the boxing skills to take the fight to 12 but Broner needs a near KO win to assure his fans that he is the future of boxing and I do believe that Broner will pull it off in the 10th. I feel that Adrien Broner needs a new trainer who can teach him how to fight in the inside game because Adrien is not cut out for the shoulder roll technique. AB is a brawler who is being trained as a boxer which is a bad mix. AB constantly stays in the pocket and away from his corner's advice who constantly pressure him in fighting in the outside. A good move for A.B. would be to join forces with Timothy Bradley and Joel Diaz who are known for their brawling techniques. Regardless of the outcome, Broner vs Molina will be one kickass of a fight.

flackoguapo says:

Broner doesn't throw enough punches and has too fast of reflexes to be a 'brawler'. If you mean he should fight on the inside more and throw more punches, I totally agree. He has the skills to pick his shots but they are too far and in between. Broner,like

99% of other boxers, does better work when his face is clean and isn't getting buzzed constantly.

flackoguapo says:

And nice first post! I'm new here too, but welcome to TSS!

Skibbz says:

I agree with you on this, Broner isn't cut out to be a brawler. A brawler is a different person to what Broner is/has become and there's no two ways about it. He's good at picking off from a distance, starting the 3rd round, and he doesn't like to be hit from a pride point of view. A brawler accepts he will get hit but he will be hitting too, and he will be (hopefully) dealing the more damage in the exchanges. Broner get's hit; he either tightens up, gets on his bike and scoots, or he grimaces with a shake of the head and throws a lead right.

If you ask me he should have stayed at 135 or 140. If he can't make the weight it's his problem. At the end of the day at 147 he's going to get his jaw broken by the real welters... But Broner desires the name and fame so he's going to go where he shouldn't because he's stubborn. And stubborn when he doesn't get his way. Spoiled is what AB is. Spoiled on fast food, spoiled on "easy money", spoiled on all the things that can harm someone's integrity, honesty and fidelity.

He looked like he trained with mind to repair some of the damage done by his last fight, but his attitude outside of the ring belies how he truly thinks. He seems nervous, scared almost to be himself. He seems insecure, insecurity perhaps stemming from knowing what he must do, and not doing it. I'm looking forward to see how he jumps on the scales today.. No doubt he's been busy working up a sweat all morning.

The Commish says:

This one is an Al Haymon Special...a guaranteed comeback victory for Adrien Broner. Molina poses no threat to Broner at all. This is the one fight on the card I can do without.

-Randy G.

Skibbz says:

-Randy G.

Haymon's outfit's called De Facto Management..

push Broner and make him uncomfortable by being extra-aggressive.

That is exactly my point. THIS fight is suppose to be a confidence building cakewalk, what happens in Broner's delusional mind IF, and I mean If he gets buzzed or staggered?

Will he go into panic mode ?

Will he clam up and become inactive.
No heart.

The Shadow says:

Will he go into panic mode ?

Will he clam up and become inactive?

We saw him try to get out of the Chino fight failing about like he was seriously fouled and hurt. That was very telling about his spirit and heart.

Seem high, high, HIGH level discussion going on here! And thanks Amayseng for bringing the thread back to what the intrigue of what happens or what may happen in the ring.

Excellent points from all. Amidst all the discussion, I think Commish may have said it best in just a few short words: he's fighting a guy brought in for a purpose.

And please don't forget how dominant Broner was at '30 and '35. (Sidebar: anyone who spars HARD with the Peterson day in and day out is not NOT taking training seriously. Let's be fair and let's be real.)

Amayseng, you pose some interesting questions in this post.

Guys, what do you say? Will he panic and become gun shy? Or will prove he's cut from the right cloth and go on and fight as if nothing happened?

oubobcat says:

-Randy G.

Not only that, but did you see the paycheck Broner is getting for this fight? Al Haymon special no doubt.

The Shadow says:

That check is no favor of Haymon, Adrien Broner commands that type of pay the hard way through getting people to tune in! No matter what anyone says, he has earned it by working his way up to being the top premium cable draw (who has yet to headline a PPV) and Top 5 draw overall.

Remember, Jay Love and Collazo are Haymon fighters, too, but are "only" getting $100,000 and $350,000 respectively. Now THOSE are Haymon favors hahaha....

oubobcat says:

Amayseng, you pose some interesting questions in this post.

I was at Broner's fight with Gavin Rees in February 2013. Rees had actually recently come down from 140 to 135 while Broner was in his second fight at 135 after moving up from 130. Rees had good skills and a lot of heart but not a lot of power behind those punches. Broner started slow and then when he got to work starting in the third round absolutely took full control of the fight. He had his way with Rees and got him out of there in the 5th.

Carlos Molina reminds me a lot of Gavin Rees (without as much experience). He has solid skills and heart (showed that in the Khan fight) and not a lot of pop behind his punches. Molina can't match Broner in speed or athletic ability much like Rees couldn't.

My point here is that Broner has fought a fighter very similar to Carlos Molina before and had his way with him. Will Broner's confidence not be there when he enter the ring? Will he be gun shy? I don't think so because when he looks across the ring he will see another Gavin Rees and know in the back of his mind that he has already taken care of such a fighter with relative ease.

I don't think Broner will have much trouble with Molina. As last week showed though, anything can happen inside that squared circle and if Molina starts having some consistent success well things could get interesting. I hope he does too and asks some questions of Adrien Broner. I just don't see it happening though.

Skibbz says:

Listen, there's no point debating this. It's a done deal and people know where they stand. Gavin Rees had no chance against Broner. Molina has no chance against Broner. The only way Broner can lose is if he closes his eyes and asks to be hit.

Latest Articles