Goossen Beats Ward in Court, Team Ward Counters

BY The Sweet Science ON May 01, 2014

Dan-Goossen-andre-ward 4fe2c

Promoter Dan Goossen spoke today about the California State Athletic Commission ruling, and their declaration his contract with Andre Ward is valid, and extends to November 2016.

“It’s now time to sit down with Andre and his advisors to put these legal disputes behind us and concentrate on getting Andre back to fighting consistently, inside the ring,” said Goossen. “Andre and I have had success together; and there’s no reason not to get back on track as a team to secure his status as the top fighter in the world behind Floyd Mayweather.”

Team Ward, led by attorney Josh Dubin and advisor James Prince, put out this release after:

Dan Goossen likes to put out press releases that confuse the issue - so on behalf of Andre Ward, we want to be crystal clear: the 'legal issues' that he referred to are only just getting underway. It is only after a California judge or jury speaks that the legal issues will be resolved.

Today's decision from the California State Athletic Commission was not unexpected. From the very start, we do not feel that the commission has been looking out for the best interests of Andre Ward, the very boxer they are supposed to protect.

To the contrary, for some inexplicable reason, the CSAC has continually bent over backwards to try to accommodate a promoter who we feel is taking horrible advantage of Andre and his career. It is difficult to understand why the CSAC has refused to enforce its own rules - first, by upholding Goossen Tutor's Promotional Agreement with Andre when we feel that Dan Goossen clearly violated the commission rules by failing to disclose his co-promotional agreement with Antonio Leonard, and now by continuing to recognize and in fact extend the agreement when it is in clear violation of a California labor law that prohibits promotional contracts that last more than seven years. Why the CSAC is favoring a promoter, even when it means turning a blind eye to its own rules and the law, is a bit of mystery at this point - but we can assure you that we will get to the bottom of why that is happening and bring it to full light. This is an important matter not just for Andre, but for any fighter that risks his or her life in the state of California.

This is not the end of Andre's fight to stand up for what he knows is right, but rather the beginning. The CSAC decision has only strengthened his resolve. Andre's lawsuit against Dan Goossen and his promotional company in California Superior Court is continuing to move forward. It has always been Andre's steadfast belief, as well as ours, that the state court system, not the CSAC, is the proper venue for his dispute with Dan Goossen. It is Team Ward's belief that the arbitration before the CSAC should not have proceeded while Andre's lawsuit is pending, so we do not feel that the decision is ultimately going to be binding.

We also want to be very clear about something else - when Andre filed his lawsuit against Dan Goossen late last year, he offered to continue to work with Dan while the case played out. Dan said that he would continue to pursue fights for Andre but since the Rodriguez bout, he has been unable to deliver. Andre is still waiting for an offer to fight, and the reality is that he is sitting on the shelf because Dan Goossen simply cannot make it happen. This is one of the precise reasons Andre is trying to free himself from this situation - he is stuck with a promoter who we do not feel can advance his career in the appropriate manner.

To all the fans, Andre appreciates your support and words of encouragement during this difficult time. We will keep you updated on the status of his lawsuit, and Andre will remain in shape and ready to fight should an offer come in the interim. Andre is looking forward to continuing the journey with all of his fans as soon as possible, and as always, is ready to face the best in the boxing world has to offer.

On Behalf of Andre Ward:

Josh Dubin & James Prince

Ward has lost all the momentum and promise his career showed after he dominated the Super Six tournament. He is wasting the prime years of his career. Time to honor the contract that he signed and get back to boxing.

oubobcat says:

He has certainly lost all momentum from the Super Six and then the subsequent victory over Chad Dawson. After the Dawson fight, his career was at a pinnacle and the sky was seemingly the limit.

Ward made something like 2 or 3 million dollars for his last fight against Edwin Rodriguez. Goosen was his promoter and the fight took place under the Goosen Tutor Promotional Banner. So its safe to assume, that even after being sued once by Ward, that Goosen still helped him garner a very large paycheck for an easy fight.

I am not buying the statement that Ward is actively asking Goosen to get him a fight while in litigation. How many times has Ward stated while commentating on HBO (since the Rodriguez fight) that his next fight is in the courtroom. It did not sound to me anyway like someone actively looking for a fight.

Ward is losing valuable time in the prime of his career and whether or not he is happy with the current promotional agreement he has needs to get back in the ring ASAP. He has to be realistic too as I highly doubt HBO will once again fork over a substantial amount of money like they did for the Rodriguez fight for another similar fight.

The Shadow says:

He does want to fight. Badly. But the one thing promoters can do to fighters -- which is why you don't see fighters rocking the boat too often -- is have them sit idle.

Fighters only make money when they're in the ring. So if a fighter doesn't know his role, so to speak, a promoter will put him on the shelf till his money runs out, at which point he will be much, much more reasonable.

(I will try to shed some light on this in the coming days.)

Why do you think some fighters are inactive or have long layoffs for seemingly no reason? There's more than meets the eye.

When you're suing someone, don't expect them to put you in the ring. All that does is give Ward more money to continue litigation.

Goosen, of course, won't allow that to happen unless he's heavily incentivized (ie. PPV) to do so.

It's unfortunate, really.

The Commish says:

Andre Ward? Who's Andre Ward?

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

Andre Ward? Who's Andre Ward?

-Randy G.

I remember him vaguely from the Olympics 10 years ago? Isn't he that kid with the Allen Iverson cornrows? Lol

The Shadow says:

Andre Ward? Who's Andre Ward?

-Randy G.

The Commish says:

Andre Ward truly needs to get himself a personality. The only place he has personality is in the ring, and he's been so inactive that he's become totally forgettable.

Smile, Andre. Smile.

-Randy G.

dino da vinci says:

I'll tell you this, you're so right about the loss of momentum. I know there's been injuries and I know Andre didn't want to award somebody with a great payday who chose to sit out the tourney, but to have a kid this classy who can fight a ton and who's this well spoken to not be bantered about as the best in the world shows you a whole group of people came up one slot short of the goal. And of course the only one you can't point a finger at is Andre who does nothing but win. Unless, unbeknown to us he's provided his people with a list of opponents he prefers not to fight, which I have a feeling is not the problem.

dino da vinci says:

Andre Ward? Who's Andre Ward?

-Randy G.

Sir Randy,

If this kid doesn't give you all of the ingredients to build a global superstar I don't know who does. But he is on pace to be the second coming of Lennox Lewis, who in my very humble opinion, should have been a megastar from the world of entertainment to rival the luster of Michael Jackson, Madonna, Billy Joel, Elton John, Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, or who have you.

Lennox Lewis came complete with every ingredient you could possibly ask for. Did he make millions? Yes. But whatever he earned they should of had to use a multiple. Andre Ward? Repeat and wash.

Birddog says:

What happens with guys who reach that that 7 figure payday level is that they think they should be paid that for every fight and more. Guys please there are only so many fights that you can bring in that money. Think about this Ward is only a big draw in his hometown nowhere else. His lack of power and charisma hurts him. Canelo, and Julio jr, have loads of charisma people pay to see them but lack the skills that Ward has. They say skills pay the bills don't believe it its charisma. When Mayweather fought Canelo it wasn't he alone who brought in those huge numbers. Ward and management should just stay active and fight whoever and build to a next big payday, the clock you hear is ticking away Wards career.

El Dude says:

I don't agree with the evolution of Boxing & the political turn that it has also taken yet I still have hopes that the prospect warriors of tomorrow will break down these boxing barriers of greed. I am no lawyer nor do I know the true facts of what went on between the court case of Goossen vs Ward so I will just leave it at that out of respect to the sport.

dino da vinci says:

Birddog, excellent post.

Let's take it in pieces.

Seven figure paydays. If Andre Ward is no less than the consensus number two fighter in the world, unbeaten, handsome, articulate, and I'd argue the other side, that he is indeed charismatic, matches nicely with some other big names (although I don't hear them calling him out) and we haven't seen the best of him. People with a great opinion who have seen him over the course of his career say he's the complete package. In time, he'll clean out the light-heavyweight division, and are we saying it's only then he'll get some love?

Boxing is very much a global sport and I believe there are more than enough people living outside of Oakland that greatly appreciate the man's skillset.

Lack of power? He's undefeated. You want power? You can have Victor Ortiz.

You are 100% spot on when you say it was Canelo who helped bring in those numbers. Helped. We are about to witness what the Maidana numbers will look like in comparison but even that said, these numbers will be better for having fought Canelo.

And I agree with the stay active, fight, and I would add honor the contract, which is, well, the honorable thing to do, but that said, I also promote, so I know the miscellaneous costs fighters have no idea about, don't care about, and well, while sort of sad, it's what it always has been.

Of course you're right when you say the clock is a tick'in.

Again, great post.

The Shadow says:

Birddog, excellent post.

Let's take it in pieces.

Lack of power? He's undefeated. You want power? You can have Victor Ortiz.

Of course you're right when you say the clock is a tick'in.

Again, great post.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, really wants it with Ward. GGG. 3K. None of them.

Andre Ward is a promoter's dream -- in theory. Unfortunately, the world is a twisted stage fueled by pathos to which a guy like Ward does little and a guy like Broner does much.

dino da vinci says:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, really wants it with Ward. GGG. 3K. None of them.

Somebody mentioned on this board that it was Broner who has charisma. Kid has yet to have an original thought. What he is is vulgar and charisma-free. Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm confused on the definition of charisma circa 2014. To me, Muhammad Ali has charisma. As did Elvis Presley and Dean Martin. Really, it's a very short list.

The Shadow says:

No, I agree with you. You don't necessarily need charisma to be polarizing. I don't find Floyd Mayweather or Broner particularly charismatic.

But they know how to evoke emotion and play to the pathos of the people.

Mike Tyson had and has charisma for days. Lennox Lewis didn't and doesn't. Prince Naseem oozed it.

It is indeed a short list.

flackoguapo says:

You are totally right. Muhammed Ali had wit and salesmenship that any generation could appreciate. I had a teacher in high school tell me once that Ali did more for the civil rights movement than anybody else. To me, Broner appeals more to the younger

internet crowd of today,where it's all click fast and see crazy raunchy s&*t fast and there's no boundaries.I am a student at ASU, and girls I meet usually only know about boxers if they are popular on Twiiter or Instagram(What'd you expect, Maher called it the Harvard of the Navajo Valley. LOL) it's where Broner makes his

bread and butter, I think. Malinaggi, John Molina, Andre Ward, Mikey Garcia, Hopkins are some of the guys I enjoy listening to most because they are very articulate and give you a fighters perspective on things. All Broner says is a bunch of cheesy, vulgar

one-liners with funny ones in between, yet he is probably making bigger money at a faster pace than those guys did. I wonder if Broner stays this polarizing and popular for long?

The Good Doctor had mentioned that in which I responded against it. Polarizing no, attention getting sure.

Broner did have some positive hype due to his offensive nature in the ring. However, due to his vulgar and offensive nature out of it he has lost a lot of respect and fans for that matter.

The fans don't want a brash, vulgar, egomaniac who comes off as delusional. Floyd is NOT your big bro, a real man especially a FATHER of children does not have an idol, he is the idol, you aren't the second coming in boxing. Your act is not new.

They want an exciting fighter in the ring and interesting one out of the ring.

Floyd is not too exciting in the ring for casual fans, but they marketed him as "interesting" out of it by the likes of no one can crack the code to beat him and the fact he is beyond a hard worker and perfectionist in the gym garners a lot of respect.

However, Floyd's "lifestyle" is not interesting in the least. Showtime has really missed the boat on these ALL ACCESS shows big time. People don't work middle class jobs all day, put their kids in bed and turn on Showtime to watch a boxer who fights twice a year talk about how much more money he has than you, how he bangs only "the baddest bitches" (even though he is surrounded by 3 ugly ones) and showing his bed where he "slays" them, and sit on the stairs in his mansion asking these ladies what they wear or dont wear to sleep in.

If I was 20 I would not be impressed by any of this. As a 35 year old man I am quite bored by it. Really Floyd, like no other man has been banging girls all this time. It is quite pathetic.

I attempted to watch episode 2 and it was so bad I kept fast forwarding through it and finally just turned it off.

I think it is now known that this fight is not catching the hype and Floyd and Ellerbe and company are trying desperately to get the buys for it.

The Shadow says:

They want an exciting fighter in the ring and interesting one out of the ring.

Whether one agrees with this sentiment or not is hardly of consequence. But it is safe to say that you, sir, as you near your 3000th post, are only getting better with age.

Nice post!

The Shadow says:

As long as he keeps winning spectacularly or controversially (no working man's victories allowed) and rubbing people's noses in it, yeah, he will have people clamoring for his comeuppance.

deepwater2 says:

A contract is a contract. Now get in the damn ring . Ward vs Hopkins !