Mauricio Herrera To Fight on Canelo Undercard July 12

BY Michael Woods ON April 18, 2014

Herrera 4fc67

He didn't get love on the cards, but he did from the masses.

Mauricio Herrera proved to the world that his ring skills are immense, and even though champion Danny Garcia retained his 140 pound straps in Puerto Rico last month, Herrera, the Cali based boxer, didn't see his standing in the sport drop. To the contrary, fight fans and keyboard tappers are keen to see him glove up again soon.

So, I reached out to Herrera, to see what is next on the docket for the 33-year-old with the 20-4 (7KOs) record.

"Look out for me July 12th," he told me. "No opponent yet, but I will fight for a world title. Management has named Johan Perez (18-1-1, holds WBA interim junior welter crown), and another guy but I forgot his name. No decision has been made."

And does he crave a rematch with Garcia, to get that W he firmly believes he deserves?

"I really do but Garcia is avoiding me," Herrera told me. "He's hiding out and waiting for people to forget what happened."

That July 12 date is a Vegas scrap, on the Canelo Alvarez-Erislandy Lara undercard, for the record.

oubobcat says:

I think this is a smart move by Golden Boy as well as a just move. Herrera fought very well against the champion at 140, Danny Garcia, and could very easily have gotten the nod in that fight. If the rematch if Garcia cannot happen, this is the next best move for his career. Fighting on a high profile PPV will keep Herrera's name relevant, make him a nice payday and maybe even collect a belt if he fights Perez.

From Golden Boy's perspective, Herrera generally makes entertaining fights especially if matched properly. If Perez does end up being the opponent, then this stylistically is a great matchup up. Perez comes forward and likes to mix it up on the inside. Herrera has shown in the past if pressed that he will exchange. There will be exchanges and they will go toe to toe at times. What is not to like about this fight from a fan's perspective?

riverside says:

Very good

deepwater2 says:

Very good

Congrats. He earned it.

riverside says:

Congrats. He earned it.

thanks Deep! we were crossing our fingers with the Canelo Vs Lara/ fight happening, Gomez wanted to bring us back soon! and so far everything falling in place, not in concrete yet, but looks like we will in on july 12th . Peterson posibble opponent.

Skibbz says:

Good for you guys you deserve it. I know Herrera will bring his A game, I hope he does it and beats the PED eating cheat bad. Looking forward to his performance.

Herrera has too much shift and gift, he'll make Peterson look like a stiff. But Ma-He might get jobbed again.

I sense that the boxing judge crooks that be are feeling Ma-He as the modern-day Emmanuel Augustus and/or Jimmy Young. They were robbed terribly during their days. Holla!

Skibbz says:

That's a raw view of the reality, I hope it doesn't happen like that for Mauricio, but crookematics is crookamatics and there's nothing we can really do about it.