Quillin Victim Of Cold War, Wants GGG, Sergio Still

BY The Sweet Science ON April 15, 2014

KidChocolate 579a4

Undefeated world champion Peter 'Kid Chocolate' Quillin

Fighting for respect

PetterQuillin 3d855

NEW YORK CITY (April 14, 2014) - Undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) middleweight champion of the World, Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin, is fighting for respect this Saturday night on SHOWTIME against No. 2 ranked Czech challenger Lukas Konecny (50-4, 23 KOs).

Quillin vs. Konecny is part of a Golden Boy Promotions event, sponsored by Corona and AT&T, and headlined by the world light heavyweight unification fight between IBF champion Bernard "The Alien" Hopkins and WBA title-holder Beibut Shumenov. The live SHOWTIME tripleheader telecast will begin at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) and be available in Spanish via secondary audio programming (SAP).

Quillin is a victim of a network war. The 30-year-old Cuban-American fights on Showtime but other top world middleweight champions such as Sergio Martinez and Gennady Golovkin are tied to HBO. Critics, however, have unfairly write about whom Quillin hasn't fought instead of his many accomplishments.

"If the money is right," Quillin has said over and over to no avail thus far, "I'm up for fighting any of the top names, especially Martinez and Golovkin. But everybody's aware of what's going on behind the scenes (networks). My job is to work hard and be ready."

Only two current undefeated world champions have better records than Quillin's 30-0 (22 KOs): junior middleweight/welterweight Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (46-0, 26 KOs) and super featherweight Mikey Garcia (34-0, 28 KOs).

QuillinK.O cdef7

The powerful Quillin has knocked down his opponents a grand total of 32 times in 30 fights,

including 11 in his three world title fights

Quillin has somehow morphed into the "Rodney Dangerfield of Boxing." As the late Dangerfield famously said, "I can't get no respect." Neither can Quillin, it seems, despite defeating everybody he's fought as a pro, 30 up and 30 down.

"Some things can't be explained," Quillin spoke about not gaining the respect he deserves. "I'm not a matchmaker, never have been and it's too late now. I have the most powerful team in boxing (promoter Golden Boy, adviser Al Haymon and co-managers John Seip and Jim McDevitt). I let them decide who I fight. I learned not to worry about what some people say. Hey, I want to fight the best middleweights in the world, but I understand that boxing is a business. I just stay focused on who I'm fighting and Konecny has 50 wins.

"I've been undefeated for 9 ½ years and not many can say that. I'm the only American middleweight champion, the only world champion from where I grew up in Grand Rapids (MI) since Floyd. I fight for my family, fans and friends. I'm proud to be American and Cuban. I enjoy being an inspiration for people, especially immigrants like my father who came to America looking for a better life. I even got my GED a few months ago to better myself outside the ring. I am living the American dream."

All "Kid Chocolate" does is win, baby!

Quillin-konecny 0154e

Quillin has trained for this fight at home in New York City, instead of Los Angles where his camp has been for his previous eight fights, largely due to family considerations. He's been able to stay close to his pregnant wife, Allison, although they've lived separately during camp. Quillin has also been comfortable training at home, receiving physical therapy, massages and acupuncture treatments twice a week at Wall Street Physical Medicine in Manhattan. He has also gotten invaluable help from Andre at Velocity Sports Performance NYC in Manhattan, as well as conditioning workouts from Coach Dino from the world famous 5th St. Gym in Miami Beach.

Tickets priced at $25, $50, $75, $200 and $300, plus applicable taxes, fees and services charges are on sale now and are available online at http://www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling (800) 745-3000. The DC Armory Box Office will be open on fight night only from3:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. ET.

For more information about Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin go online to www.TheKidChocolate.com (Team Kid Chocolate T-shirts on sale here) or follow him on Twitter @KidChocolate and Instagram@KidChocolate.

Quillen has done everything under the sun to avoid GGG .... and has fought a league of former 154 pounders since he won the title in impressive fashion from Hassim N'Dam. But I won't Quibble over the past if Quillen is willing to fight.
Boxing is just a Sport so its good to see that his focus is on making the fights the people want to see.
What's not to love about 2 young guns bringing their sledgehammers to the battle of the fittest?
Make it happen Hayman.

The Commish says:

Peter Quillin will most likely slap tough Lukas Konecny around before stopping him. Unfortunately, Quillin's detractors will then step forward and once again say he hasn't fought anybody. As he always does, he will take their comments good-naturedly and move on.

Quillin is a class act all the way. He doesn't pick his opponents. He is told who he will be fighting, where he will be fighting and when. Then he goes into training and does his thing. So far, his thing hasproduced nothing but victories. One day, he just may be told his next opponent will be GGG. He will ask where and when, then go into training. If his thing doesn't produce a victory, so be it. He detractors will have a field day. However, if he beats GGG, just watch. Those same detractors will be nowwhere to be found.

From this corner, I can't root for "Kid Chocolate."

-Randy G.

deepwater2 says:

From this corner, I can't root for "Kid Chocolate."

-Randy G.

I used to give Kid a hard time on here because he is matched soft and they stopped the Rosado fight way to early. That said his bulldog is friends with my bulldog, Mickey Walker now, so I have to root for Kid Chocolate from now on. He has power and a good chin so what the hell I hope he gets a big fight. Lets see if AL Haymon makes it happen.

The Commish says:

That last line for me should read, "From this corner, I can't help but root for 'Kid Chocolate.'"

Typing too fast for my own good!

-Randy G.

Peter Quillin will most likelyalongsiegh Lukas Konecny around before stopping him. Unfortunately, Quillin's detractors will then step forward and once again say he hasn't fought anybody. As he always does, he will take their comments good-naturedly and move on.

From this corner, I can't root for "Kid Chocolate."

-Randy G.

Commish... I will defer to your greater access and expertise on the subject.

With all due respect...... it was Quillen asking the question "who is GGG?" when GGG was taking HBO by Storm last year. (Not to mention the fact that GGG had asked for the title opportunity relentlessly for the past 2 years only to be ignored)
I understand its a business and fighters have a tendancy to call a fighter a nobody and then sign to fight an unknown fighter in their next fight. While everybody wants to see them fight the nobody every body knows...Stevenson vs Fanfaro is a prime example.

Anyone would have to be pleased with news.. Especially alongside news that Canelo announces that he wants to fight Lara.... and Cruz asking for Rigo sometime in the future.

I hope we are seeing a trend... Could Paq vs Mayweather be next?

I like PQ, he is a humble and good guy in and out of the ring.

However, for his own health and business, he better stay away from GGG

The Shadow says:

Make it happen Hayman.

Since GGG is exclusive to HBO, Haymon can't produce what Hershman won't allow. Furthermore, how can you avoid what has yet to come in pursuit?

Tell Mr. Dos to let GBP back on the airwaves and we will have a barnburner for the ages.

Trade chips with Rafael in his beloved fantasy boxing league.

It's a fantasy boxing matchup for now.

Tim Loeffler echoes.

Should fantasy ever become reality, expect Colgate Quillin to trump his total knockdown tally to tha max. Fringe belt or not, Colgate Quillin ICES that boy in three -- with about six knockdowns, give or take two or three.

Yes, GGG is a straight killer but it is Colgate Quillin who will be doing the killin'. As a matter of fact, I think Colgate will change his name from Peter Quillin to Pete B. Killin'.

Once the dust settles, GGG will have a chipped tooth and look like TAFKA Colgate Quillin used to look.

Skibbz says:

From this corner, I can't help but root for "Kid Chocolate."

-Randy G.

I disagree Commissioner. Konecny is one real tough cookie. I've seen him fight in the UK and he's nails. A few slaps won't be enough. This one is going the full distance and will be filled with a few scares for Kid Choc fans. His defence isn't good in my opinion, his head doesn't move at all and his feet aren't the quickest. Konecny has good experience and decent power.

If Quillin doesn't go down he'll win it on the cards, but if he does go down I don't see him taking the victory. As for beating GGG.. I think that's the stuff of dreams. I see GGG putting an end to his career at the top level. He will have second thoughts after that fight.