Khan-Collazo Set For Mayweather Undercard

BY The Sweet Science ON March 24, 2014

mayweather-maidana f14a2

FORMER UNIFIED WORLD CHAMPION AMIR KHAN TO FACE
 WBA INTERNATIONAL WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION LUIS COLLAZO

IN CO-MAIN EVENT OF "THE MOMENT: FLOYD MAYWEATHER VS. MARCOS MAIDANA" SATURDAY, MAY 3 FROM THE MGM GRAND GARDEN ARENA LIVE ON SHOWTIME PPV®

KHAN VS. COLLAZO MEDIA CONFERENCE CALL WEDNESDAY, MARCH 26

LAS VEGAS (March 24, 2014) - An explosive matchup of two world-class fighters is coming to the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, May 3, when British superstar and former Unified Super Lightweight World Champion Amir "King" Khan faces Brooklyn native and WBA International Welterweight Champion Luis Collazo in the 12-round welterweight co-main event of "THE MOMENT: Floyd Mayweather vs. Marcos Maidana" on SHOWTIME PPV.

A media conference call featuring both fighters is scheduled for Wednesday,March 26 at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT. Additional details to follow this announcement.

"I'm looking forward to fighting in Las Vegas once again, and my intention on May 3 is to make a statement that I belong on this big stage," said Khan. "Luis Collazo might be coming off of a big win, but I am in incredible shape and am ready for this challenge. A win on May 3 is what I need to prove that I truly am one of the best welterweights in the sport."

"Defeating Victor Ortiz in January was just the beginning," said Collazo. "Facing and beating Amir Khan on the biggest stage in the sport is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I will take full advantage of this and put myself in the best position to face the winner of the main event. I hope Khan is ready because Brooklyn is coming to take him down."

"Both Amir Khan and Luis Collazo have made it known that they want a shot at the winner of the fight between Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana, so what better way for them to prove that they're next in line than by fighting on "THE MOMENT" card on May 3?" said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "These are two exciting former world champions and this fight has the potential to steal the show."

"Amir Khan and Luis Collazo are aggressive boxers who deliver excitement and fan-friendly action in every fight," said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President and General Manager, SHOWTIME Sports®. "With the addition of this main event-caliber co-feature bout, boxing's biggest night of the year has become even bigger. Mayweather vs. Maidana and Khan vs. Collazo is a spectacular one-two punch for boxing fans."

A British standout who represented his nation in the 2004 Olympic Games, where he won a silver medal, Bolton's Amir "King" Khan (28-3, 19 KOs) went from local hero to international star when he won his first world title at 140 pounds in 2009. After five successful defenses that included wins over Marcos Maidana, Paulie Malignaggi and Zab Judah, Khan lost his title by way of a controversial decision to Lamont Peterson in 2011. Winner of two straight over Carlos Molina and Julio Diaz since, the flashy, flamboyant 27-year-old boxer-puncher is now campaigning at welterweight, where he seeks championship gold once again.

Brooklyn's Luis Collazo (35-5, 18 KOs) has long been one of New York's finest exports, a slick boxer who isn't afraid to get into the trenches and slug it out. Collazo is a former WBA Welterweight World Champion and currently holds the WBA International Welterweight Title. No stranger to facing the elite in his weight class, he has squared off against fighters such as Jose Antonio Rivera, Ricky Hatton, Shane Mosley and Andre Berto. Collazo took nearly two years off from the ring, but since returning in 2011, he has won five of six bouts, including four straight. This past January, he made the statement of a lifetime with a blistering second-round knockout victory over favored former world champion Victor Ortiz, and he has similar plans for Khan on May 3.

"THE MOMENT: Mayweather vs. Maidana," a 12-round world championship unification bout for Mayweather and Maidana's respective 147-pound titles, is promoted by Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona, O'Reilly Auto Parts and AT&T. In the co-main event, Amir Khan faces Luis Collazo in a 12-round bout for Collazo's WBA International Welterweight title. The event will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME PPV (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT) and is the third fight of Mayweather's lucrative multi-fight deal with Showtime Networks Inc.

Skibbz says:

Khan is always up for a fight. Collazo will be game but I g

Skibbz says:

Khan is always up for a fight. Collazo will be game but I got Khan winning so long as he fights where he has the advantage.. Collazo can (as with anyone vs khan) get him to use his heart more than his mind and that where khan goes wrong in my opinion.

Hoping khan brings the goods though, set himself up for a sept dance with joy junior. Watched him vs garcia again today.. Boy did Danny look bad until he caught amir. Even after he struggled to put him away and amir was just a bag offering himself to be hit..

The Shadow says:

Dangerous. Dangerous. I don't understand this. Doesn't get credit if he wins, will get slaughtered in the public if he loses. Don't like it at all.

Collazo is crafty and a better boxer.

Still I have no ambition to spend 70 bones on this card.

Is broner really fighting Molina?

Collazo is a FREEZER. Dude will freeze up like always. And blame on "The Lord." But than if he wins, he will also blame on "The Lord."

"The Lord Fights my battles.... It was His Victory."

YUP, RIGHT!

Imma roll with the weak Khan to win this one. And that it just because Collazo is not squared jungle mean, vicious and NASTY-NASTY when it counts the most. Holla!

Virgil Hunter will make all the differen with weak Khan getting a win, and not being a man of tin. Holla!

The Shadow says:

I rate him as a teacher and he talks a good game but his fighters tend to lose quite a lot.

I agree. Angulo didnt move his head one time in 600 punches from canelo.

Skibbz says:

It's a hard thing to judge. In the case of Angulo I was certain that 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. When he's in there he only wants to fight, he wants to take some as much as he wants to return fire..

With khan, he's got a fighter who has always been difficult to improve defensively, that being said however I think khan has slightly.. However he almost always gets drawn into a fire fight, none of his trainers have managed to change that.

Dallas Jr was never going to be one of the best. Virgil puts his all into him but he's flogging a lame horse with him in my opinion..

Berto is on the rise.. Mayfield will soon be amongst the major players in his div, Ward is arguably #1 p4p.

I think at the end of the day, his fighters have a lot of heart, and for some of them that heart leads them to making the wrong tactical choices in the ring. No matter what a trainer does in training or in the corner, once the bell rings it's just the two fighters who get it on. You can slap him punch him tell him you'll pull the plug, but he won't listen with his head if his heart is telling him a different story.

Btw can someone enlighten me on why mayfield left hunter?

jzzy says:

Khan has been whining for months about fighting Mayweather, he's the only one in the boxing world who thinks he's deserving of a fight with Floyd.
Mayweather felt sorry for him so he gave him a spot on his undercard. I see Khan on the deck in this fight and losing a decision to Collazo, Khan will
be showing a lot of ring rust, he's a better talker than a fighter.

deepwater2 says:

Khan has looked awful in his last 4 I think. Lou is very crafty southpaw in there. He can spoil khans plans for sure. Virgil hunter is a bit overrated I think. He can be kinda smug when doing an interview . I know it's a trainers job to hype his fighter but that Angulo fight was a bit too much.he was telling Angulo he was gonna stop it. The ref stopped it after a round or two ,then hunter says the ref shouldn't of stopped it , Angulo was getting stronger. Come on. I wouldn't buy a used car from him after that.the first thing hunter did with khan was get him on the neck machine. Thats a good thing.I will wait for the money line but I think collazo by ko might be the way to go. Plus khan is already planning his side show of calling out mayweather after he wins. Never look past a tough crafty southpaw .

deepwater2 says:

Skibbz says:

The problem with khan is that he gets drawn into a fight too easily. Against garcia, his hand speed advantages were very obvious yet he never worked the jab or is legs. He was hooking and uppercutting, standing and trading. Against Diaz he got caught by a lazy left hook and I think that's the money shot against khan.. It seems you can't miss if you draw him in right with that shot..

As for Hunter, I have faith in him. I like his style, he teaches his boxers more than just boxing and I think that's important, because of the nature of the guys boxing attracts. He has a fantastic stable of fighters, who do there best for him and they may not all be undefeated world champions, but they give him there everything, day in day out and trust him wholeheartedly. Sure they revert back to their old ways when they're back in the ring but that's not exactly uncommon amongst fighters, especially when they're coming to him later in their careers. We all know trainers tell their fighters they're going to pull the plug when they have no intention what so ever of doing that.

I think you have Khan wrong, he's a very focused young man. He was looking to the mayweather fight because he genuinely believes it's what was planned.. He's naturally going to feel peeved at losing such a big fight. However, he dedicates himself to his sport very well and will certainly not look past Collazo in my opinion. I think Khan will get him to the body same way he got Maidana, same way Freddy H got Collazo. He will overwhelm him with his accuracy and speed. It'll go the distance, and Khan will be in better shape in the latter rounds.

The Shadow says:

@Skibbz you nailed it with Khan's problem. He's a poor decision maker in the ring, or at least he has been. He's had over a year to correct that.

SouthPawFlo says:

This is Dangerous for Khan, Collazo is a crafty fighter and we know Khan is "Chinny!"

Khan has to Stop him or Beat him Impressively if he hopes this fight will get him the Mayweather Fight...

Beating Collazo might get him a Broner Fight!!!

The Commish says:

Wow! Amayseng...do you really feel Collazo is a better boxer than Khan? A better boxer? Better? Really?

Okay, if you say say.

My say is that Khan gives Collazo the boxing lesson of his life and won't hang his chin out like Victor Ortiz did.

Afterwards, Collazo will say, "It wasn't in the Lord's plans for me to win today."

Say Hallelujah. Say Amen!

-Randy G.

TingsSproledo says:

Khan still chasing Floyd! Ha!!

The Shadow says:

Okay, if you say say.

Say Hallelujah. Say Amen!

-Randy G.

Lol epic!!

Carmine Cas says:

This is the best fight on the card, I like Collazo's savy ring vet experience to aide him to victory. Something is telling me he might be looking past Collazo still, but you can't count out Khan he's a tremendous fighter. And if Collazo does freeze up on the big stage, welp this would be it. When he beat Ortiz in BK that was a pretty big stage as well but Khan has heart unlike Victor.

Khan will foolishy let himself get involved in fire fights instead of boxing but when he gets knocked down or hurt he doesn't cave under his opponent's pressure, the kid's got heart. Collazo is not known as a killer, although he's coming off a knock out victory but if he catches Khan clean he will hurt him.

If the fight is close they'll give it to Khan, there's a lot of money to made with Amir Khan.

flackoguapo says:

I don't see Collazo engaging too much with Khan and I also don't see him outboxing him.

Khan is one of the most naturally cocky people out there. That's not a knock on him either, it's who he naturally is, I have always thought. IMO, that cockiness is one of the main variables that leads him to always engage when hurt. Khan will go out swinging even if he is on wobbly legs because he dont fake the funk. Not always the smartest tactically, but he often goes out like Boromir in Lord of The Rings. Lol

True dat, Flackoguapo! Very well put. Holla!

The Commish says:

I just watched some video on both fighters. I feel that Khan's speed will be too much for Collazo to handle. Gonna' go watch some more. Very interesting fight.

-Randy G.

Okay, if you say so.

Say Hallelujah. Say Amen!

-Randy G.

Khan has more speed, power, agility, quickness and reach.

However he does not implement his tools as well as Collazo does. Collazo gets more out of what he has than Khan does. Overall I think Collazo is a better boxer, not sure if he pulls it off though.

You just never know what Khan is gonna do. He was shellacking Garcia before getting reckless and knocked out. Khan has nearly every advantage over Garcia and still go knocked out.

Collazo is not a one punch killer, but Khan is chinny as hell and it doesn't take Hearns to put him on queer street. I see Collazo fighting slow and technical trying to counter Khan and buzz him. Khan will come out fast as usual, it just depends if Collazo can catch him. And yes this is Collazos last chance at a big stage unless he is in the fight of the year. He has not had many opportunities as of late.

Forgive my memory, but didnt Collazo give Berto hell? I think many had him winning that fight, no? or am I thinking of someone else.

The Commish says:

Collazo did indeed give Berto a rough night around five years ago. Collazo has also showed his toughness in route-going performances against Shane Mosley, Freddy Hernandez and "There's Only One" Ricky Hatton. He also went the route in a losing performance around 11 or 12 years ago in what was, I believe, his first 10-rounder. I am not saying he's not tough. I am saying that I feel Khan is a much better boxer and will travel the distance in beating Collazo. Of course, if Khan lets any of that cockiness get the best of him...

-Randy G.

Skibbz says:

He gave Berto a very tough night, and it was a close call. 2 of the judges scored it 113-114 in favour of Berto but it could have been the other way if you ask me. Khan is chinny, for sure but I think we're going to see a different Khan................ I have faith that he will box smart and play to his strengths and beat Collazo with ease.

However I will say it now, if he touches the canvas once in this fight i'll never put my faith in him again. Because if he does then Hunter is flogging a lame horse with that one.. No matter how much heart, athleticism and skill he has, his achilles heel (read chin) lets him down too often. But that doesn't have to be the case.. I just trust that he's realised it after Diaz found the button..

The Shadow says:

Like you've astutely pointed out before, it's not that he has a bad chin per se, it's that he makes bad decisions. If Shane Mosley made the same decisions as Khan, he would get put down too.

Khan is like Joe Frazier, once he's tagged he tries to slug and gets floored again and again. That's why Ali called Frazier stupid. He got hurt and went directly into the Lion's Den and got devoured.

(Remember vs. Prescott after he got floored? Jumped right into the pocket with those Bambi legs and got flattened. Did the same thing vs. Diaz.)

While Khan DEFINITELY doesn't have a chin like Smokin' Joe by a long shot, it's just easy to blame it on his chin when it's really his decision-making that's horrible.

Carmine Cas says:

I agree with that, it's his recklessness and poor decision making.

I think Virgil Hunter has toned it down a bit but he still jumps in guns blazing forgetting about defense.

If you listen to the media, you'd think everything Hunter touches turns to Gold. I Honestly think Hunters' greatest contribution to Ward was helping him fulfill his potential as a man. Hunter was there early, ...helping him to maximize his manhood while working with him to develop his character, .....things that time and money may be of too limited supply for Khan to take full advantage of.

I said several years ago that I though a young confident Khan would be a nightmare for Mayweather..... possibly beating him outright, using nothing but a jab and some deft aerobic footwork.

Things have changed quite a bit since then,... Today, Khan's under scrutiny of having the presence of mind of knowing when it's time to jab, get on his bicycle, or throw the left hook? Will the Spiritual/Cerebrel teachings of Hunter be sufficient to correct this?

Collazo on the other hand has become the ultimate spoiler. He's nearly up there with Darnell Boone and Antwone Smith on the rottenness scale.
Many observers and media outlets will swear he beat Hatton, and Berto. He also went the distance with Shane Mosely in 2007 when Mosley was still considered a KO artist. In October 2012 Collazo upset Eddie Chambers younger brother, Stephen Upshaw Chambers in what was supposed to be Upshaws breakout performance.

And you saw what he did to Ortiz. Oh especially what he did with Ortiz.
If Collazo perceives that his opponent has a particular weakness, he'll work to exploit that weakness, even if it means waiting till the last round to spring the ambush,.. I've seen it before.

Khan has all the physical tools necessary to dominate Collazo except one, a human mind ruthless enough to regard defense and offense as equa partners ..while also being ruthless enough to resist rushing in after every seemingly available opportunity.

This fight is the perfect thermometer to determine whether Khan has developed the mental focus necessary to remain in contention with the best of the best.
I think he can do it, but as always,.. it's totally up to Khan.

All the advantages of youth, experience and the human physique go to Khan,.. I'm interested to see if he's learned how to use it.

Skibbz says:

I think a combination of Hunter's teachings, and Khans disappointments in and out of the ring will have given him the wake up call he required Bsuge.. It's time for him to pull up his socks, tie his shoelaces and get to work..

Yeah Collazo is a bit of a spoiler, but he beat Ortiz because Victor failed to protect himself after he threw his shots. (Then seeing him on his knees, he looked like he was waiting for the count to finish...). I'm confident Khan will exercise a strict game plan, although not necessarily a constricting one. He will look to steal the show in my opinion and rightly so.

However, like we said, It's all down to Amir once the first bell rings...

I understand your point, but Shane has a granite chin he can take those chances. Khan cant because he gets staggered if the wind hits him right....

The Shadow says:

Hahaha...yes Shane does have a granite chin. And I feel you there, that is a good point. What I like about Shane is that he fights with at least some sense but when he's tagged he's looking to get you RIGHT back.

Khan is bad but I don't think he's as bad as Roy Jones for instance. I've seen him take some pretty heavy shots.

To be fair, the punch that nailed him vs Garcia was the one that spun Morales around -- the other way! The one that rocked him vs Maidana was the same one that floored Broner left and right. And he stayed up. Peterson and Judah are pretty good punchers too.

He just doesn't do himself any favors by doing silly dances when he gets tagged, jumping in the pocket hurt, and leaving himself open to counters.

That's what I saw vs. Diaz. He got hit, smacked his fists together and JUMPED in the pocket recklessly and started trading. While hurt. That's so dumb. He can't help himself.

Not saying his chin is good or anything. But once you have that bad rap, it's hard to get rid of. Before Garcia, I'd only seen him down vs. Prescott (though he's probably been down in others).

While he's vulnerable, I never really get the feeling that he can be hurt any second like I get with Seth Mitchell, Roy Jones or a post-Hagler Sugar Ray.

I would sit and be worried every time a punch came near them.

As for the Collazo bout, I haven't studied him really. I just go off what I heard Paulie say plus that he's given tough, you fighters tough, tough fights. Like he's this super spoiler. And he's a southpaw.

It just seems dangerous.

What's your prediction?

deepwater2 says:

China chin khan is putting effort into confronting mayweather at the press conference. Big mistake to underestimate a crafty southpaw

The Shadow says:

I agree!! I keep honking about those eye feints you talk about. I've been trying that ish in the mirror to get an idea what the heck that was!

Pease tell some more sparring tales, they are very fascinating.

What's your prediction?

deepwater2 says:

Pease tell some more sparring tales, they are very fascinating.

What's your prediction?

Practice it in sparring. try to look at the guy in the eyes when you can. some guys will never look into your eyes so forget this advice if that happens. get into a habit of looking down when jabbing to the body. get into the habit of looking up when jabbing to the head. after the opponant starts getting used to it, look at the body and shoot a jab to the head ,after a couple of those you can shoot a straght rt or left lead punch instead of the jab. it works the other way too. other tricks with the eyes is look over his shoulder,wink, and look at the floor while shooting punches. disclaimer*** This things can back fire on you if the guy picks up on your tricks or doesnt care about any tricks and just throws some punches regardless what you do. It must be done when you are comfortable and can get some timing and range on the other boxer.
Khan by dec hedged with collazo by tko if the betting line is good. my heart is with collazo in this won. sometimes I pick wrong that way but khans first fight at 147 will not be easy especially the way he has looked in his last 4. My pick Collazo.

I would sit and be worried every time a punch came near them.

It just seems dangerous.

What's your prediction?

That is the thing. I dont see it as Khan gets hurt and goes beserk and gets caught.

What I have interpreted is that Khan gets staggered with just a good shot. Chino had him hurt a few times, Diaz had him hurt a few times. Prescott knocked him the F out. Garcia had him hurt a few times and knocked him out.

Khan gets staggered with just good shots, not bombs. Although the Garcia shot was odd, on the neck I believe.

I dont know what to predict, you never know with khan and I never thought Collazo would hurt Ortiz let alone knock him the F out.

Either way I think Floyd and showtime are in trouble, or at least showtime. Who is next for Floyd?

The Shadow says:

You know what, that's a really good point. I feel you on that. He gets hurt by good shots. I can dig that.

Yah, the Garcia hook was on the neck. Is that legal?? Guess you can't have a giraffe neck in boxing.

I think Khan is next, of he wins. If he doesn't? I have no idea.

The Shadow says:

Awesome. Thanks man. Sorry, I'm typing on my iPad so it autocorrects and creates typos sometimes. Meant to say I've been *thinking about it.

Yes, I've tried that sometimes. I like to do that in soccer and basketball too, use my peripheral vision to do no-look passes and so forth.

That's some slick stuff. That clears it up for me, thanks a lot!

The Good Doctor says:

I think Khan is next, of he wins. If he doesn't? I have no idea.

If Khan loses, I think Floyd will wait for Garcia to take a fight at 147 and if he looks good he will choose him. Now if Danny pulls another job like he did against Herrera in his debut at 147, Floyd will have a hard time selling that fight to anyone, even Showtime. He might go the Keith Thurman angle assuming he keeps bashing dudes, but that is a serious reach. Combine that with the winner of Manny and Tim being the only sensible fight for him to take but he wont fight either one, I think Floyd walks. No way he fights Sergio, Ward at 160, or Cotto again. I think he sticks a fork in it amid some serious criticism.

Skibbz says:

Don't say it Doc... Floyd vs Garcia.. Oh I think I might just move to somewhere without satellite or the internet... I would love to see the Thurman fight I think he's got a lot of talent but it's gathering dust at the moment.

I would be surprised if he did just talk a walk, he'd leave a massive following behind wondering who it was who washed their brains into buying all that sh*t..

SouthPawFlo says:

The more I talk about this fight with people, the more I think this is Easily the biggest fight of Khan's Career...

We all know the card is gonna do 1 million buys and if Khan wins he has plenty of big fights ahead of him: A Broner fight, a Danny Garcia Rematch, and a possible Money May fight, but if he loses, it'll be him and Victor Ortiz in a "Loser Should Just Retire" Match....

He mentally prepared so long for the Mayweather scrap, I hope he can adjust and get up for the Collazo, who is a crafty SouthPaw with "Sneaky Power."

That's easily the most interesting fight on the cars....

Wow! Collazo has already LOST! Dude is at Fort Jackson, S.C. marching in formation with U.S. Army grunts -- which is his right -- and is bragging about getting ready to train like one at the Army Post.

OMFG! What some sensitive G-I-Joe hype! Using Kano jingoism and patriotism against Pakistani-Britian Amir Khan. This is not a fight between two nations. It is a fight between two pugs. And it is no way a religious holy war between a Christian and Muslim.

WOW! The things that a bonehead will do to make a buck. Especially when dat muthasucka is jiving and conniving to get a bout with pugilism's top-fighting muck-a-muck. Fronting up slaughtering a Muslim to get there, will be of no luck.

Make this bout mano-i-mano. Nobody's G-O-D is in it.

And -- no disrespect -- when was the last time that an Army trained professional boxer won a boxing titlist? That is what I thought!

Boxing training is what will produce a boxing champion not some _______ _________ _________ and ________!

Maybe Collazo and Khan are being paid extra funds to trick butts into those seats.

There are optical illusions everywhere. I ain't hatin!' Because suckers are born every minute. And quite a bit of them love a hate fight of any kind. Hehehe!

What is this? A bout between two Hopes? I like it. A Christian Hope against a Muslim Hope.

And by Money May, the Hope winner win be made outta joke. Holla!

Make this bout mano-i-mano. Nobody's G-O-D is in it.

And by Money May, the Hope winner win be made outta joke. Holla!

Make this bout mano-i-mano. Nobody's G-O-D is in it.

And by Money May, the Hope winner win be made outta a joke. Holla!

That is exactly what it is. the "hope" that one of these guys puts on a good enough showing for the next ppv so showtime doesnt go into the ditch financially

The Shadow says:

They got money to blow. Moonves' pockets are DEEEEEEP and growing deeper every day. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=CBS&annual

deepwater2 says:

Hope is what the prison wardens hope he prison population has so they don't rise up. F hope . Hope Is a 4 letter word . Action .