NEWS ON: Collazo, Botha in Dubai

BY The Sweet Science ON March 20, 2014

Luis-Collazo f5b74

BROOKLYN, NY (March 20, 2014) - Its no secret that Brooklyn native and current WBA International Welterweight Champion Luis Collazo is hoping to land a shot at facing pound-for-pound king Floyd "Money" Mayweather and on his quest he has received the support of Brett Yormark, CEO of Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. Yormark called a possible Mayweather vs. Collazo bout a "Dream Fight" for Barclays Center.

"How great would it be for Brooklyn if the favorite son of Brooklyn fights this legendary fighter Floyd Mayweather? I think that goes down as, in many respects, the rational for what we want to do here," Yormark told Mitch Abramson of Boxing Scene.

"Getting a chance to fight Floyd and prove I'm the best is definitely the goal," said Collazo. "Now, getting a chance to fight Floyd at home [Brooklyn], that's a whole different ballpark. That's a dream."

Mayweather is set to face Marcos Maidana on May 3 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, while Collazo has set eyes on Amir "King" Khan. No official statements have been made.

"Amir Khan up next and then, Floyd at home, that would be ideal," said Collazo with a grim smile. "I'm very proud Mr. Yorkmark thought of me and Mayweather as Brooklyn's 'Dream Fight,' that makes me truly proud of my roots, of Brooklyn."

New York, NY, March 20, 2014, Lion Heart Boxing Promotions, Ltd., a Boxing Promotion and Sports & Entertainment Company based in Kinnelon, New Jersey (USA), is pleased to announce the Dubai encore and follow up to its successful promotion of the first-ever live professional boxing event in Abu Dhabi history,

Thursday Night Fights @ Yas Island.

Lion Heart Boxing Production will bring world class live professional boxing to Dubai by producing a version of its acclaimed Thursday Night Fights series as Thursday Night Fights UAE. The Inaugural event for Thursday Night Fights UAE will be held on May Day (May 1st) hence the event subtitle "May Day Mayhem."

Lion Heart has been involved as consultant in several Dubai boxing promotions but May Day Mayhem will be the first live professional boxing event promoted by Lion Heart Boxing Promotions as lead promoter in Dubai and will feature former IBF Heavyweight Champion Francois Botha (born 28 September 1968, in Witbank, Mpumalanga), also known as Frans Botha and nicknamed "The White Buffalo," a South African and perennial Heavyweight Contender.

Botha has had a very distinguished career as a heavyweight boxer, having fought several of the top world heavyweight champions of his time, including Mike Tyson, Shannon Briggs, Axel Schulz, Michael Moorer, Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko. Botha had a victory in 1995 against Germany's Axel Schulz to win the IBF heavyweight Championship, suffered a fifth round knockout to Mike Tyson, and had the famous fight with Shannon Briggs which ended in draw. In addition to beating Axel Shultz for the IBF Title, Botha is a four-time world title challenger. Botha also has competed in numerous kickboxing and mixed martial arts events. He will take on an opponent to be announced.

In the co-main Event, Brazilian Welterweight Champion, Former Number 2 ranked Contender and Floyd Mayweather, Sr. trained Antonio Mesquita will commence his comeback against Dubai based French fighter Nordine Arik (17-2). In addition to featuring top boxers from the international scene such as Frans 'The White Buffalo' Botha, Antonio Mesquita, Nordine Arik, and Heavyweight Prospect Martin Horak (3-1), May Day Mayhem also will feature regional and local stars such as 2012 Fighter of the Year Mohammed Ali Bayat (4-0), Syrian Brawler Abdul Kabanni (3-2), Lebanese Amateur standout Rabih Fayad (1-0) and Emirati Muhmmed Alshbli (Debut).

Tickets will be available online and at all Virgin MENA stores, go on sale March 26, 2014, and are reasonably priced: VIP Table of Ten with F&B, AED10,000; VIP Ringside, AED500; Ringside, AED400; Reserved Seating, AED300; General Admission Seated, AED200; and General Admission Standing AED150.

The event will be held at The Emirates Golf Club's "The Lawns" venue and will be televised as part of the Thursday Night Fights UAE television series. The Lawns has a capacity of over 6,000 but will be configured to hold 2,000 seats for May Day Mayhem.

Emirates Golf Club, host of the European Tour sanctioned Omega Dubai Desert Classic and Omega Dubai Ladies Masters, was the first all grass championship golf course in the Middle East when it opened in 1988. Taking pride in its 36 holes of world-class golf, the club sports two of the city's finest must-play courses, the Majlis and the Faldo Course, which is also the only 18 hole course in the region to offer night golf. Both courses combine the natural rolling desert terrain for a serious golfing test, while the signature clubhouse, remains the most eye-catching in the region. The Majlis Course has been presented with numerous accolades over its 25 year history, the most recent of which were its 2012 ranking by Golf World magazine as one of the 'Top 100 Golf Courses in the World' and its award for 'Best Course Middle East' in the Asian Golf Monthly Awards 2010 .

From the testing 18 hole Majlis and Faldo courses, to the equally challenging par 3, the Emirates Golf Club draws accomplished and casual golfers looking to improve their game.

'The Emirates' is so much more than a golf club, serving as the premier address for all things leisure. Its appeal is equally wide-ranging off course, with everything from fine dining to bar bites available alongside top-notch pool and gym facilities, tennis courts and a brand new spa.

Emirates Golf Club is conveniently located in the heart of 'New Dubai', easily accessible off Sheikh Zayed Road and opposite Dubai Media City and Dubai Internet City, and not far from Dubai Marina and Palm Jumeirah. The Metro's Nakheel station is directly located outside the main entrance, making the club within walking distance for leisure and restaurant guests during the cooler winter months.

Says, Edward Mendy, Lion Heart Boxing Promotions CFO, "We see the potential of the UAE as the next Boxing Mecca and are excited to be early movers in the space. We are really encouraged by our continued development and incremental success in the promoting Boxing as a professional sport in UAE. With May Day Mayhem and Thursday Night Fights UAE, Lion Heart Boxing Productions not only plans to introduce the Thursday Night Fights series to Dubai, but also intends to develop the series into a major UAE sporting brand for worldwide television export. Further, we see Thursday Night Fights UAE as an additional platform to facilitate the growth and further development of Arab boxers in general and Emiratis in particular."

Thursday Night Fights UAE will be broadcasted live on Dubai Sports in the UAE and MENA Region, as well streamed lived worldwide on ESPN3. Additionally, Thursday Night Fights UAE will be rebroadcast on a delayed basis by Fox Sports in the MENA Region and via regional sports channels in the USA, which reach over 150 Million American cable homes. Lastly, Thursday Night Fights UAE will be syndicated regionally and in other markets, worldwide as feasible.

The Commish says:

So sorry to see that Frans Botha is fighting again. He recently was stopped--again!--his fifth stoppage loss and sixth loss in a row. He has also lost seven of his last eight, with his last win coming in June 2011. He has truly gone from being a champ to a chump, from a contender to a pretender. His recent loss dropped his record to 48-11-3. He looks nothing like the man who gave Mike Tyson a rough battle--leading on the scorecards--before growing over-confident and allowing Tyson to take the shot which knocked him out in the fifth round in January 1999. The right hand Tyson landed that night may have been the hardest shot he ever threw.

That night, Botha went into the ring as a 29-year-old heavyweight with a 39-1 record. Now, in the 15 years since that fight, Botha has gone 9-9-3, a mere shell of the fighter he once was. As the regulator I used to be, I believe he should no longer be fighting. Guys like this need to be saved from themselves.

Terrible!

-Randy G.

deepwater2 says:

Botha was good a decade ago. I think he trains with his son so he still can't let go. Collazo is a very good fighter . I can see him knocking khan out. Floyd will never leave Vegas .

The Commish says:

I have heard others say Mayweather will never leave Las Vegas (I call the city "Lost Wages"). Why do you suppose that is? Because he feels comfortable at home?

-Randy G.

The Shadow says:

-Randy G.

Botha had some serious skill on him, man! I liked his swagger vs. Tyson. That's how I like to fight too. Sans the crushing KO blow, of course.

Mayweather is OCD. It takes lots of appeasing to get him to change habits, in whatever form they may surface.

The Commish says:

I worked with Botha for the Tyson fight. Sterling McPherson & I were sure Botha was going to emerge victorious that night. He was following our fight plan perfectly, then got cocky and invited Tyson to throw punches from in close. Tyson accepted his invitation. I was telling Botha what happened a few minutes later in his dressing room. He had no memory of the big right which felled the "White Buffalo."

-Randy G.

"The White Buffalo" is worse than a chump, he is now a lump -- a human punching bag. Holla!

deepwater2 says:

Mayweather has all the advantages in Vegas . He is very comfortable there. I have never seen him even get a warning for that elbow forearm to the throat he uses. Some people say he is allowed To use lidocaine on his fragile hands over there. Not sure about the truth or the legality of it. The Barclay guy also uses the sales pitch that Floyd can bring his fashion line to ny, let me tell you something I was at the las Vegas magic show at Mandalay bay where Floyd unleashed the tmt line and every fashion person thought it was a joke. Tshirts and hats for $100. Floyd doesn't need to bring that to NYC the Internet is the place where he can sell those things. Floyd won't leave Vegas because he has the fat contract already .

The Shadow says:

...let me tell you something I was at the las Vegas magic show at Mandalay bay where Floyd unleashed the tmt line and every fashion person thought it was a joke. Tshirts and hats for $100. Floyd doesn't need to bring that to NYC the Internet is the place where he can sell those things. Floyd won't leave Vegas because he has the fat contract already .

Lol that's epic! No one cared about it? Hey, he's generating decent numbers from this! They're trying to get retail partners, get it into Macy's and things of that nature. So is Richard Schaefer with their new clothing line (which is awful, honestly).

I think that NYC pitch was amazing. Yormack is right, NYC would give him a nice boost for his Internet business. I still can't believe he's generating seven figures from that Money Team movement. But then again, he does have a nice platform.

Another thing I liked was his argument that they could duplicate the hype from the Canelo fight. I think and hope we will see him in NYC.

deepwater2 says:

The high fashion people said it was a joke. Some people care but not them. I bet you another beer along with that Sam Watson bet that Floyd never fights in NYC . Also yormack wasn't allowed to make the pitch personally . He got locked out by the Swiss banker and Haymon Floyd has made 1 million with that fashion line ? Get me the figures shadow , if anyone can you can .

-Randy G.

That was a hellacious right hand.

The Shadow says:

Lol did they really? That's funny.

From what I hear, it's around $3m in revenues. I have it from three sources that verify that ballpark figure. That said, it's hard to verify since they're not a publicly traded company. I'm not even sure they have a separate LLC.

I'm browsing every database and authority on private companies I know.

In Mayweather's case, while a million may sound like a lot, in this case it really isn't.

And I do know this: the urban market is very strong. You don't need to capture that much of the market to make that kind of cash.

Let me run through the numbers:

One PPV home has around 5-8 viewers, according to research. Which means that Mayweather-Canelo was watched by well over 10 million in North America, not accounting for global viewers.

So with that figure, he just needs less than 2% of those viewers to either buy a hat, t-shirt or that silly iPhone cover to gross $5m. Then keep in mind, he ships worldwide from his pseudo-web shop.

I personally believe that massive "The One" press tour did more to boost his clothing line anything else.

All those fans lining up to see him across all those towns, buying merchandise and screaming "Hard work! Dedication!" Merchandise sales at #TheOne were through the roof as well.

(Now he's even visiting other continents, praising how you can join the Money Team Movement as long as you're "rich at heart.")

Think about it -- if you had his platform, you could sell Deepwater snorkels to the tune of hundreds of thousands just because.

For comparison sake, WWE, makes major bank on their online shopping platform. More importantly, whenever they host live, untelevised events rake in millions of dollars in overpriced t-shirt sales. In fact, it's one of, if not the, biggest revenue streams for WWE outside PPV.

(When I went to Wrestlemania 28 on my 28th birthday, I think me and my boys copped like 5 t-shirts, a bunch of headbands I still haven't used and a championship belt I still wear to nightclubs to show girls what time it is. (My girlfriend even offered to pay $300 for another belt.) True story. I'll upload a picture. We even bought these little ridiculous $20 FM transmitters so we could hear the live PPV commentary.)

I'm sure his brand, in fashion circles, isn't taken too seriously. But the fact is, in the grand scheme of things, with his platform, global reach, and so forth, $3m in revenues isn't even all that much.

That was a hellacious right hand.

I'd like to hear the long version of that story.

-Randy G.

I'd like to hear the long version of that story.