Malignaggi-Porter Tops Showtime Tripleheader April 19

BY The Sweet Science ON March 17, 2014

Shawn-Porter 6196b

TRIPLEHEADER TO AIR LIVE ON SHOWTIME®

“I fought hard to get this title. Paulie says he wants it, but is he willing to go through me to get it?” said Porter, who won his crown with an impressive win over Devon Alexander last December. “Fighting Malignaggi is like fighting Alexander. They don’t have the strength or power to keep me away, and I will steamroll Paulie on my way to victory April 19.”

“I’m excited to be back in a title fight so soon after my win over Zab Judah. I will become a three-time world champion on April 19,” said Malignaggi. “Porter is a good fighter and I’m sure he’ll be a champion again in the future, but he doesn’t have the tools or experience to beat me.”

A native of Akron, Ohio, unbeaten Shawn “Showtime” Porter (23-0-1, 14 KOs) showed on Dec. 7, 2013 that all of the rave reviews he received since his amateur days were well deserved, as he scored a 12-round unanimous decision win over Devon Alexander to win the IBF Welterweight World title. The win followed impressive professional victories over Julio Diaz, Phil Lo Greco and Alfonso Gomez that put Porter at the top of the 147-pound weight class. Now the 26-year-old begins his reign on April 19 against “Magic Man.”

When he’s not winning awards for his commentating work on SHOWTIME broadcasts, NABF Welterweight Champion Brooklyn’s Paulie “Magic Man” Malignaggi (33-5, 7 KOs) is proving that, at 33, he’s still one of the top welterweights in the world. Winner of six of his last seven bouts, with the only loss coming via split decision to Adrien Broner last June, Malignaggi was in top form when he defeated Zab Judah last December, and on April 19, he has the opportunity to become a three-time World Champion.

For more information, visit www.goldenboypromotions.com and www.sports.sho.com and follow on Twitter at @Therealbhop, @Kidchocolate, @ShowtimeShawnP @PaulMalignaggi @GoldenBoyBoxing, @SHOSports and @Swanson_Comm , follow the conversation using #HopkinsShumenov and become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GoldenBoyBoxing and www.facebook.com/SHOBoxing.

Hopkins vs. Shumenov, a 12-round fight for the IBF, IBA and WBA Light Heavyweight World Championship, will take place Saturday, April 19 at the DC Armory in Washington, D.C. The event is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Corona, AT&T and Casamigos Tequila. In the co-features, Peter Quillin puts his WBO Middleweight World Title on the line against Lukas Konecny in a 12-round bout and Shawn Porter faces Paulie Malignaggi in a 12-round welterweight bout for his IBF World title. The live SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® telecast will begin at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) and will be available in Spanish via secondary audio programming (SAP).

Tickets priced at $25, $50, $75, $200 and $300, plus applicable taxes, fees and services charges, are on sale now and available online at http://www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling (800) 745-3000. The DC Armory Box Office will be open on fight night only from 3 p.m.-10 p.m. ET.

Skibbz says:

Almost a month to go but this is one night I'm looking forward to a lot! Can't wait to see what Hopkins school Shumenov with. If the DC presser was anything to go by then Shumenov is gonna get a lesson only Hopkins can teach!! Then there's Porter and Malignaggi.. Would be nice to see paulie grab a belt but I'm rooting for showtime!

Its a miracle to me that Malignacci has gotten this much milege out of his boxing career. After Paulie was overwhelmed by Hatton, Khan, and struggled with Diaz and Cano I thought he would be assigned to strickly gatekeeper and b-side showcase status. But he's managed to recycle himself into a major player... And no matter how crazy this might sound. A win by marketable Paulie could put him into the Mayweather sweepstakes.

I suspect the scrappy Porter will diffuse that potentially horrifying matchup by soundly out hustling Paulie by reminding him that he's a blown up junior welterweight facing a natural junior middleweight. Give me Porter with a one sided UD while the very loquacious Malignaggi goes back to focus on his already stellar announcing job.

Skibbz says:

Couldn't agree more bsuge. Would be nice for paulie to get a big Mayweather payday but I don't think porter will let that happen. Do you know why the porter Thurman fight fell through? Then we could have had a more exciting prospect of porter/Thurman vs Brook in summer too and then maybe a potential defence vs malignaggi afterwards. That belts doing a lot of work! Bang on the nail with porter too, he's always there to scrap and we'll see how long he keeps a ballooning malignaggi on his feet.. Porter will need a big win to boost his own prestige before the mandatory in summer!

Skibbz....getting Porter to fight Thurman is like getting Adonis Stevenson to fight Sergi Kovalev...
Thurman challenges everybody in the division.
In return they say he's too Green or too unknown. Or they price themselves out of the fight.
Porter acknowledges Thurman but wants a big paying title unification bout if he's going to face a risky guy like Thurman.
Fans call Thurman hype... While other fighters in his division call him the face of terror.

deepwater2 says:

Shumenov is no pushover and might make it close if not win. He is smart and knows how to steal rounds even if he stinks the fight up. I'm going with porter in this one. The guy is 170 lb guy that shrinks down. His condition is tops. Paulie has been partying up o these trips I suspect. I'm betting the house on porter. Thurman is a tough boxer or anyone at this point .

I think Paulie has a good chance against Porter who is rough and tough, but less skilled and polished.

If Paulie can keep the proper spacing from Porter all night he can ding and dink him winning rounds on points.

Paulie has an outstanding chin so I don't see him getting hurt.

Ring generalship, clean effective punching and defense could win this fight for Paulie if he can execute it.

Carmine Cas says:

I can see Paulie's experience and ring generalship giving Porter issues

deepwater2 says:

Paul might win the fight but get robbed . Here is a question . I don't know but is al haymon porters " advisor" ? Think about this , Paulie had the balls to criticize al haymon and bring him him into the light , naming names and calling fouls . Paulie is also so good at his show time commentator gig no way Espinoza can fire him . What is a sure way to stop the criticism of the shadow ? Pay off Paulie a few million and another couple big fights . Paulie can shut up about al now that al signs the check and Paulie won't care if a close decision goes against him now . Who can the suits make more money with at this point , Shawn or Paulie ? The young guy or the old vet ? Side bet just for fun , whoever Sam Watson walks to the ring with gets the win . Paulie was spitting the truth about those crooked fights in pr, but you could tell he was holding back . The tickets are cheap to bad it's in DC .

Skibbz says:

What a shame for Thurman and the fans, definetly would have made a more exciting fight than Paulie in my opinion, I think malignaggi will have a tough night trying to evade Porter especially toward the end of the fight, man can't wait to see that bull in action!

Yeah I agree deep about Shumenov but in terms of ring smarts how does he stack up in your opinion against Hopkins? Where Shumenov lacks experience Hopkins has it in spades and then some.. That's what it may come down to on the night

The Shadow says:

I love your passion and straight shooting but I think you tend to vilify Al Haymon just a bit too much. He's a good dude. A real good dude. He's not going to screw anyone. He considers his fighters his children, I kid you not. (His words.)

Why do you think he put up over $200k for decrepit old loser/suspended drug cheat/gambler/drug addict in Antonio Tarver. You think Bob Arum would do that? I think maybe Lou DiBella or EM, if he was a promoter, which he's obviously not. Anyone else?

I think it's going to be a fair fight. Haymon's influence on outcomes, if any exists, isn't forced. I just think everybody in the game wants to be part of a winning team.

That said, knowing Paulie and having seen him compete, do you think he'll be fine with a decision going against him? I don't think so.

Again, I have to stress -- Haymon is a great dude. He's not a crook.

It's also important to recognize that Paulie never criticized Haymon, either. Ever. how could he? He criticized the fact that judges tend to favor the more politically connected guy, which, sadly, is often the case.

deepwater2 says:

Thanks . Haymon might be a nice guy but he was behind that whole golden boy hbo divorce . Also Paulie said many things last one after the broner loss was he said the judge is in haymons pocket . A quick google search produces these,
"...Thanks to Al Haymon, (Adrien) Broner doesn't have to fight the level of competition that everybody else does."

After the gift decision Broner received against Daniel Ponce de Leon in front of a large Mexican crowd, "I thought to myself: Al Haymon can manipulate anything."

"What Al Haymon wants Al Haymon get, such is boxing in 2013."
the majority of boxing figures, that Haymon is a control freak who is ruining boxing by protecting his fighters with easy set up fights on valuable network time slots and cheating the sport out of producing the biggest events . Ect ect . So maybe I might be wrong or maybe I am right , or maybe somewhere in the middle but al haymon can sign me up and I would zip it too .

The Shadow says:

"What Al Haymon wants Al Haymon get, such is boxing in 2013."

Well, if you think about it, isn't it a manager's job to identify and guide his fighter through the path of least resistance and max money? Being well connected isn't exclusive to boxing. It sucks for everyone else but it really just shows you how good of a job they're doing with his career.

And he's absolutely NOT cheating the fans out of the biggest events. Keep in mind, we just had Mayweather-Canelo and Garcia-Matthyse on ONE CARD. That was largely thanks to Al Haymon. I don't see how either Garcia, Matthyse, Maidana, Trout, Lara etc have been protected.

Before, he wasn't keen to having his fighters face each other. Now he has them facing each other all the time, for the purpose of producing the best events.

The whole Golden Boy/HBO divorce wasn't Haymon's fault. That was HBO losing out on their biggest star and refusing to work with GBP as a result. Blame Les Moonves and CBS more than anything.

Keep in mind, promoters deal with networks. Managers deal with promoters. Haymon just represents his fighter with the promoter. Another reason was that GBP was taking his fighters to SHO while trying to strong-arm HBO into a long term contract with Adrien Broner. HBO decided to call it quits.

Overall, I don't think the criticism is fair in this case. Even if he was lining up guys on premium cable, that's what he's supposed to do. Blame the networks who actually make the decision to do so -- not Al Haymon.

deepwater2 says:

How bout my silly side bet ? I say the boxer that Sam Watson walks to the ring with gets the win . I bet you a beer . I got a couple of friends down by you on west av in the mirador to pay up if I lose .

The Shadow says:

Lol deal! You're that dude, deep.

Although I don't think he will walk with either. He just comes in the ring after and consoles the winner. Like he did with Lara in his last fight. "I love you, boy!!" While Trout stands dejected, heartbroken and embarrassed before his "Trout Nation."

Who is the Trout Nation anyway? His wife, kids and Brandon Watson?

dino da vinci says:

It would still be a nation...albeit small.