Deontay Wilder Is 31-0, With 31 KOs, Stops Scott in First

BY Michael Woods ON March 15, 2014

DeonatayWilder ad749Deontay Wilder didn't have to break a sweat before he broke a piece off Malik Scott's chin in round one of their clash in Puerto Rico, on Showtime, on the Danny Garcia-Mauricio Herrera undercard.

A left hook froze Scott and a right hand follow put the loser on his tush. He tried to get up, but his eyes were glassy, and the ref counted ten in this semifinal match, put on by Golden Boy.

The crowd booed when they saw the replay, which indicated that the right wasn't fully clean. The hook might have been more than a mere tablesetter, in fact.

The end came at 1:36 for the 28-year-old Wilder, who now gets a crack at the winner of the forthcoming Chris Arreola-Bermane Stiverne scrap. That bout is for the WBC crown left vacant by Vitali Klitschko, who exited boxing for the political arena in the Ukraine.

Post-fight, Jim Gray spoke to Wilder, the 31-0 (31 KOs) resident of Alabama. The left hook to the temple was nasty, the victor said after Gray chided him for thanking too many people.

The Pennsylvania native Scott, age 33, drops to 36-2-1. He had been stopped before, in round six by Dereck Chisora in July 2013.

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Is anyone surprised. I knew that Malik Scott would take an early nap. He, any heavyweight can p¡mp slap. Dude quit again, and is full of crap. On him getting big fights should now be a rap. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

In what world was that a nasty hook? I'm getting old.

deepwater2 says:

Bizarro world. This card was propaganda from the homecoming crap to the fixed heavyweight fight. MH won the fight by 2-3 rounds easy. The showtime crew was very uncomfortable trying to explain it and Paulie knew the deal. What a shame. They should put wilder in the ring with the woman he beat up because she stayed on her feet at least.

deepwater2 says:

It's because Philly won't buy tickets and neither will Mexicans so I'm sure Haymon came up with a scheme and Espinoza agreed . It's about getting a fan base for Garcia . Garcia has to fight a Barclays in ny or on a Floyd card because he can't headline a card in Philly.

King Beef says:

In what world was that a nasty hook? I'm getting old.

after seeing it in slo-mo, looked like it caught him on the temple or behind the ear, but the right that followed damn sure shouldn't have put him out like that; looked like he blocked almost all of it.
I am curious to see how he reacts when he runs into to somebody that can take his shot, and gives some back.

Was that real?..... The hook could have caused a flash knock down. But the right didnt land...Scott was tangled up in the ropes like he was caught in a spiderweb...took forever to get up ( like in the Chisora bout) Is Scott cashing out his once decent name to make contenders look good? Question marks still abound for Wilder. Fight results non conclusive in my opinion

Good fight between Garcia and Mauricio was worth ordering the pizza.

Carmine Cas says:

Hahahaha funny summation. Angel Garcia has referred to himself and his son as Philly-Ricans not Puerto Ricans, he professed his patriotism in the past. And then they conveniently changed tunes and became Boricuas.

Carmine Cas says:

Wilder should get a stern test from the Arreola-Steverne winner

I with you guys on this. I watched the replay 10 times and I don't see how those two punches put a man down for a ten count. Easy for me to say from the couch but that didn't look right. We still don't know if Wilder can take a shot.

Skibbz says:

Stayed up till 5:30am watching all the fights.. Bitter disappointment! Could see Scott going down in the first but expected him to have a little more pride... Expected to get hit, went down on a tap!

Grimm says:

1. Classic Ingemar Johansson-set up: jab, jab, jab, zzzz, jab, ja...left hook-right. Boom! But...
2. Wilders body isn't committed to the punch/behind the punch and is nowhere near generating full leverage, so...
2. Scotts eyes says it all. "Nah...I'll stay down."

mortcola says:

No damage could have been done, unless that slap-hook maybe, maybe scrambled Scott via the temple. But its a stretch. I can’t get the word “dive” out of my head.

Agreed with Mortcola.

Appears the left hook landed but it was a slap hook, all arm and I did not see the right hand land.

OML! GREAT SCOTT! Dude was paralyzed from pure fright. It gave him a short night. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

I rarely say what I'm about to say, but: Guy didn't want to be there and they should suspend his purse. It's a form of thievery.

A slap that fast from those big arms is going to have some kind of residual effect... But I'm thinking RG is pretty accurate... Some guys faint when they expect to get hit hard. If only for a split second.
Fear is a powerful mind killer for those who anticipate pain

Cries of "The Fix was in" is reverberating across the web.
And its understandable.

Scott is most assuredly done at the prime time level.

I'm glad he didn't tape a video (played prior to the fight) wearing a red white and blue singlet while sitting on red white and blue bleachers with his children, as he extolled the virtues of the American Way like Bruce Seldom did before his fiasco with Mike Tyson.

Now Wilder is going to go from a non-fight to a real fight as he gets the winner of Stiverne vs Arreola in his next fight...should be interesting.

"Fright," B-Sug.

Fear is natural and wanted by boxers. Fear is the fire that makes the good and great boxer burn arse, and not become ¢ocky, and get dey @$$ burnt. We call it "da butterflies," because people -- including boxers -- get mixed up and interchange the words and worlds of FRIGHT and FEAR. And dey ain't da same in the sweet science minds of top-gun, super-elite, unpunkedified [$¡¢], big-money-making, kick-arse boksingeros.

FRIGHT paralyzes, freezes and immobilizes a soul. FEAR ignites, fire-ups, sparks and prompts a soul to fight and/or flight, not ____-bytch punk out. Holla!

"Fright," B-Sug.

I gotcha RG.

DaveB says:

I'm really hoping that Wilder is all that they say he is BUT I'm really not sure. Hopefully by the end of the year he will meet a live body. A lot of questions. No answers. Yes Tyson fought people like this also as did they all but Tyson was wading into deep water by his 31st fight. Wilder is supposed to fight Chris A. or Stiverne next and that will start answering some of the questions. That shot was definitely questionable. Scott looked as clear eyed as you can get.

Fear is a powerful mind killer for those who anticipate pain

What about the fact that Scott had experience sparring DW, so he should be familiar with what he is getting into, hence not **** his pants from one quick slap hook.

Also, Scott only threw ONE punch the entire round, a missed jab to the body.

it is a bit suspicious.

Domenic says:

Wilder is a wildcard still but he's attracting interest in the division, which is great for the sport. Can't fault him for Scott's actions. Evidently the Klitschkos both speak very highly of DW, which is high praise. He sparred with them numerous rounds (or Wlad only perhaps). We'll see. Look forward to the him matching up with the Stiverne/Arreola winner, neither of whom will roll over.

Side point, Paulie does a fine job in the booth.

The Shadow says:

Also, Scott only threw ONE punch the entire round, a missed jab to the body.

it is a bit suspicious.

Agreed. Either that or Scott is a mental midget. Or just a bum. Which is actually quite plausible too.

Mental midget is what fits him. Besides, he got hurt by Wilder in sparring sessions. Holla!

The Shadow says:

I also keep hearing this talk about Malik Scott's skill, best skilled heavyweight etc. he likes to liken himself to a heavyweight Floyd Mayweather, skill wise. I don't see it. I just don't see it.

I've watched him, studied him. All I see is a guy who picked up a lot of tricks that he has yet to master. All I see is a slow finesse dude with little power.

I watched a fight of his then I watched Andre Dirrell vs Arthus Abraham. WORLDS OF DIFFERENCE. Direll kept mesmerizing me with his bag of tricks that's as big as any in boxing.

If that dude Dirrell had a good defense and some mental stamina, he'd be Top 5 P4P easy. Some serious ifs though...

But if Scott wants to consider himself such a skilled fighter, he should master those veteran tricks he likes to keep in his bag.

When I watch him, I kinda get the vibe of a newbie doing the shoulder roll. Don't get me prong, I think he can box a bit. But him being a Philly fighter, he's a far cry from those Philly slickster/tricksters like Jimmy Young and Bernard Hopkins.

For a heavyweight, I honestly think he's about 6-7 levels below Young, skill wise. I don't even think he's better, skill wise, than smooth Eddie Chambers.

Am I missing something?

Hope he proves me wrong though. He's a cool dude and I wish him well.

dino da vinci says:

Am I missing something?

Hope he proves me wrong though. He's a cool dude and I wish him well.

You mentioned two things I'd like to comment on. First, an old boxing adage: some guys who wish to learn the tricks of the trade sometimes never take the time to learn the trade. Second, I've had Jimmy Young in my head since the fight ended. I watched it at a Mexican restaurant and they had the sound off. That combination doesn't get a heavyweight out of there. That's a jumping ship move. Garcia fight they showed the first to rounds and then they switched it to soccer, and since I was already done eating, I left. Seems people here believe they got it wrong again. The ref stopped the Ponce fight too early. They're
destroying the sport.

Oh, Jimmy Young. Wilder would have a really, really long night against Jimmy.

The Shadow says:

destroying the sport.

Oh, Jimmy Young. Wilder would have a really, really long night against Jimmy.

Yeah. When I got in the ring at first, because I'm naturally technical/flashy in my sports whether its soccer, basketball, what have you, they told me to stop being that and master fundamentals first and the "me" would come out on its own.

And boy, would he ever! I think Jimmy Young would embarrass him, maybe even stop him with his vicious inside body game. Funny you thought about him too.

stormcentre says:

Scott thought “I will end up there anyway, and still get paid the same”, so he laid down.

Simple as that.

Skibbz says:

Simple as that.

Spot on, having watched it over a few times the check hook did hit him clean enough for Scott to decide it's a rap..

The Good Doctor says:

Simple as that.

I thought the same thing. It reminded me of Moorer against Foreman. Moorer could have gotten up but he had a look on his face that said I am not taking the chance of getting hit like that again.

The Shadow says:

I disagree, Doc. I don't think he could've gotten up if he had a 50 count. He was out on his feet before the last punch. Once he was floored, he looked completely paralyzed from the neck down. He even said as much in interviews. "My body was dead. Completely dead."

I wouldn't compare those two fights at all. One had the legitimate heavyweight championship of the world on the line. This here was a semi-final eliminator for a vacant title between two guys no one sees as having a shot against the real champ The Wlad.

There are lots of misconceptions about that fight. George set so many traps in that bout it's not even funny. In a lot of ways, the fight reminded me a lot of the Rumble in the Jungle.

Anyway, Bomber might be someone to look out for. Good height and awesome power. Wlad won't beat this cat on size, like everybody says he beats his opponents with. He's going to use his skill. Which he has. And lots of it.

The Good Doctor says:

I am not comparing the stakes, they are not in the same league, but the situation. Moorer didn't want anymore because he hit the canvas and the first thing he did was lift his head and look directly at George. He was tired and had been popped quite a few times but was winning. He had reason to get up, he didn't have will to in my eyes. In addition, once the count was over, pretty much got up on his own power.

As for the traps, George set a few but Moorer fought a dumb fight. Teddy told him to get in and get out, he did not. During training camp for that fight, it was reported that Moorer was lackluster especially because Teddy was pushing him endurance wise. Teddy knew that Big George would pressure him the entire night and it appeared that Moorer just thought the old guy would wear out and boy he did not.

Domenic says:

Did Ike Ibeabuchi get paroled? The rumor is he was let loose in February.

dino da vinci says:

He may still be the best heavyweight in America. Somebody call Curtis Cokes for confirmation.

Did Ike Ibeabuchi get paroled? The rumor is he was let loose in February.

Hide the women and children!

And maybe the rest of us.

Did Ike Ibeabuchi get paroled? The rumor is he was let loose in February.

Hide the women and children!

And maybe the rest of us.

The Shadow says:

Right, I hear you. Yeah, Moorer did fight a dumb fight. Spot on with the rest, too. Michael Moorer was and is a major head case. Super stubborn, too.

Hehehehe!, A-seng been getting jiggy with it on that slick-cracking comedy. Holla!