Hopkins Assuming He Beats Shumenov, Aiming At Adonis Next

BY Michael Woods ON March 12, 2014

Boxing Hopkins Shumenov 6697f

49.

Forty freakin' nine years old.

Are you there yet? How's it treatin' ya?

Had a hernia or two in the last coupla years?

Visited the doc for a proctological sesh?

How's that hairline and gutline lookin? Depressed yet?

If you checked out Bernard Hopkins (54-6) during his Wednesday presser in NYC to hype an April 19 clash in DC against fellow light heavyweight titlist Beibut Shumenov, and Father Time hasn't treated you all that well, well, you might have dipped down a bit on the depression meter when the Philly boxer strode from the mic, walked three steps to his left at BB King's, and lifted up his shirt, showing majestic abs fit for a twentysomething.

"Don't be envious," the fighter, who also serves as an exec at Golden Boy, said, "be motivated, be energized."

Energized, that he was in his last bout, an IBF title defense against against Karo Murat, in Atlantic City. Now, he took a few more hits than I've seen him in the past, so maybe in fact I won't be referring to him as an "ageless wonder" for all that much longer. Maybe the 14-1 Kazakh hitter will be the one to shove B-Hop to the executive suite 24-7. But it sure doesn't sound like Hopkins is thinking he's lost more than a half step, if that, judging by his talk at the presser.

He said he's looking ahead, at adding to his legacy, at another young gun he thinks he can get the drop on, lure in with a promise of fighting an old dude and defeat with the best arsenal of ring generalship this and maybe any era has seen. Hopkins made it clear that he is setting up a longer play with this Shumenov tussle, being that he thinks he's setting up a two-fer, really. Shumi is advised by Al Haymon, and so is, coincidentally, Adonis Stevenson. If and when the political barbed war gets taken down, Hopkins said, he'd love to do at 175 what he did at 160 pounds, which is to collect all the belts. "Let's talk about Father Time," he said. "Oh, he's a sonuvabitch. Father Time is undefeated, because time is undefeated. That's a fight that I can't in. Nobody on this earth can." But, he said, "there's no war going on."

He's made peace with Father Time, he said, and says he accepts that a decline will come. Got to say, don't know that I believe him. I've never met anyone, after all, who has battled FT harder, and more successfully. Hopkins hasn't capitulated to accepted norms, to an extra pound or so of weight gain every year. He respects FT, yes, and throws him a bone now and again. He doesn't drink, comprehending that FT more easily insinuated himself into your vessel when you're inhibitions are loosened, and your guard is down.

That guard...It's always up on Hopkins. His pride is as immense, maybe more so, than his skills. "I never ducked no one," he said, tossing a dose of acid in he face of any writer or Twitterer who has accused him of steering clear of the Adonis' and Kovalevs. That acid splashed on keyboard tappers when he talked about people who think they "know boxing, but are talking boxing...I live boxing." You should appreciate me now, because you will do so when I'm not, and you might as well get a head start, Hopkins insinuated. He said that his run will not likely be replicated and it will be like "waiting for another black President." I can't take issue with that. And it's sort of like his trainer Naazim Richardson pointed out--there are people who pick against Hopkins before every fight, but they don't advertise it, being that they've been proved wrong so many times before, and are gun shy. Even if I thought that someone else could marshal the skills and will and stubbornness Hopkins has in the next decade or two, I don't think I'd be keen to admit it...Because this guy deserves the fullest measure of respect for doing what he's doing, at this level, at this age. He's freakish, and I think that he's still looking to defy doubters, and pick off one or two more studs before he exits the stage.

The Shadow says:

Hopkins does it and in good fashion too. Quillin's fighting Konecny and Porter and Malignaggi are there too. Gonna be a great night. Who do people have picked?

My dude, Hopkins UD. Quillin by TKO8. Paulie by SD.

My dude, Hopkins UD. Quillin by TKO8. Paulie by SD.

I concur

deepwater2 says:

I got porter . I could care less about quillen. Shumenov is a live dog I must wait for the props on that one. Might put a few on the underdog

Hopkinzzzz will shuck jive and hold his way to a UD against his inexpierenced foe. I will struggle to stay awake. The Paulie- Porter fight is interesting. If Porter is for real he will outhustle Paulie but if he hesitates Paulie will take him to school. Quillen should fight somebody that we have heard of.

Springs Toledo says:

A great read! Hopkins, I hope you read it. Read this too: When Hopkins beat Tarver at light heavy after an impressive reign as the (not "a") middleweight champion, many sat up and paid attention. He dropped a dumb one to Calzaghe, then beats Pavlik. That was something; that was special. Those cynics and their line that says "they had a style made to order for Hopkins" are silly. Hopkins is a middle-aged man-- He ain't supposed to beat ranked contenders anymore! He ain't supposed to snatch crowns! When he beat Pascal for the (not "a") light heavyweight title, he exceeded Toney and Jones. He couldn't quite handle Dawson, but then beat second-ranked Tavoris Cloud. Shumenov is next. Shumenov is ranked sixth by the Transnational Rankings and if Hopkins gets by him, it would be ridiculously impressive. That WBS belt on Shumenov means nothing. Nothing! It's make-pretend! Now Adonis has something different, no trick title there despite that decoration you'll see hoisted up by some hack. He has the crown. If Hopkins beats his second light heavyweight king in Adonis, it is very possible that he will have bopped his way into the top 20 all-time P4P, maybe higher. --Go, man, GO.

Carmine Cas says:

If Hopkins bests Stevenson that's saying a lot.

I would have loved to see Quillen fight Curtis Stevens, too loud mouths who can punch.

Carmine Cas says:

If Hopkins bests Stevenson that's saying a lot.

The Bhop legacy roles on .... Giving us SilverBack GreyStone Warriors hope that 50 years old can indeed be the beginning of the greatest part of life and not just the last leg of a tedious trot.

He will have to clear his first hurdle first..... Shumenov ain't no Kelly Pavlik... He's a non drinking Kelly Pavlik on Mutagens and confidence that isn't poured from a bottle.

Carmine Cas says:

Bhop is a testament to you are what you eat, sure his genetics play role but if you take care of yourself you'll go far. I'm sure he's not the only one knocking on 50's door with the ability to best men 30 years his junior.

If Springs feels its necessary to reply.... Then we may be indeed be witnessing one of the greatest.
Bhop may not be as esthetically pleasing to the eye as Mayweather...but when it comes to taking on impossible tasks...nobody in this generation even comes close.

Skibbz says:

My dude, Hopkins UD. Quillin by TKO8. Paulie by SD.

I have to agree apart from paulie. Paulie will do his best to outbox but I'm gonna be going for showtime on this one.. he's gonna be like a bull in there. Still would have preferred to see porter thurman and the winner facing brook. Good to see what happens in that fight, never been a big brook fan - his promos been rinsing him fighting cabbies all across the uk.. 31-0 still no title shot.. he's someone I can't see doing well in the US either. Many british talent has gone across the pond only to be put off by the dazzling lights, paparazzi and $$$$ - he will be the next.

Also not sure if you guys keep tabs on british boxing but there's many good fights on tonight before the Garcia card. Starting 7:10pm (gmt) there'll be:-
Kevin Mitchell v Mikheil Avakyan
8 x 3 mins Lightweight Contest

Neil Perkins v Erick Ochieng
8 x 3 mins Welterweight Contest

Kell Brook v Alraro Robles
10 x 3 mins Welterweight Contest

Rocky Fielding v Charles Adamu
12 x 3 mins Commonwealth Super Middleweight Championship

Tony Bellew v Valery Brudov
12 x 3 mins Vacant WBO International Cruiserweight Championship

Good looking out Skibbz

Hopkins has my respect in many ways. The man has gotten more out of his abilities than probably any athlete I can think of.

Good looking out Skibbz