Canelo-Angulo: A Potentially Outstanding Fight That Should Be On Showtime

BY Frank Lotierzo ON March 06, 2014

canelo-alvarez-alfredo-angulo 337ab

This weekend Mexican Phenom Saul "Canelo" Alvarez will headline a four-bout PPV card from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the same venue where Alvarez last fought on September 14th of last year. That fight was against boxing's best pound-for-pound boxer Floyd Mayweather and drew 2.2 million buys. Alvarez didn't have a banner night against Mayweather and lost 11 of the 12 rounds the fight went, with Floyd retaining his undefeated record via a split decision victory.

Alvarez 42-1-1 (30) has a pop cultural type following and is right up there, popularity-wise but not accomplishment wise, with superstars Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. In the signature fight of his career versus Mayweather, he didn't even compete. In fact three of Mayweather's last four opponents before fighting Alvarez, Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto and Robert Guerrero actually pushed Mayweather harder and gave him more of a scare than Alvarez did.

Granted, that had a little bit to do with boxing styles and the fact it was Saul's first time on the big stage. And nobody is disparaging Alvarez for his underwhelming effort during the fight because Mayweather is the best around today and in all honesty, Alvarez if given his choice in an ideal setting, probably would've preferred to have clashed with Mayweather a little further down the road when he had a little more experience under his belt. Yet, here he is headlining a Showtime PPV card where it'll cost $59.95 to watch the fight in HD, in spite of the fact that both he and his opponent Alfredo Angulo 22-3 (18) are coming off a convincing defeat in their last bout. Which is another layer of proof that boxing, like all other major sports, is superstar driven. Yes, Alvarez is a star in the making and an extremely skilled boxer-puncher who is more than willing to mix it up with his opponent when everything is right as he sees it. Angulo, he doesn't care who he's fighting. Just put him in the ring with gloves on and he'll attack who ever it is in front of him until the bell rings.

Showtime executive Stephen Espinoza said, "We're thrilled, the Mayweather fight might not have gone the way Canelo would have wanted, but from every indication we've seen he has benefited from the exposure and his fan base is continuing to grow exponentially. We're still seeing massive traffic as far as he's concerned.”

Why?

Why is there massive traffic for Alvarez-Angulo? Is it that boxing is so devoid of fighters who can be hyped as superstars and attract the public's interest that today they're packaged to specific demographic audiences? If Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Wilfred Benitez and Mike McCallum were fighting in this era, there's no doubt about it that Alvarez vs. Angulo would be a Showtime main or possibly a co-main event.

“We made a decision he was the best style for me,” Alvarez said. “He comes forward. He makes good fights. It’s a very different style (than Mayweather’s), but it’s a style that’s going to be attractive and it’s going to make for a good fight.”

Yes, Alvarez is probably right, he and Angulo will most likely be a fan friendly fight as long as it lasts. But why should boxing fans have to pay damn near sixty dollars to see it? It's a Showtime fight and that's where it should air, not on PPV.

I don't begrudge any fighter being paid big money, with the exception of the superstars, I think they are all under paid. But why must the fans be held up? I guess the reason for that is because the networks and promoters know they can get away with it...and as long as that's the case it'll never change.

I predict Alvarez-Angulo will be an entertaining fight. With Alfredo Angulo involved it has to be. Angulo is aggressive and is willing to take one or two, or three punches, in order to give back one big shot. He has a kill or be killed mindset and is never an easy out for anybody. In his last two defeats, Angulo had his opponents, James Kirkland and Erislandy Lara, down and was perhaps one or two punches away from winning the fight by stoppage. If Alvarez wanted to be tested both mentally and physically, he picked the perfect opponent in Angulo.

As for Alvarez, he is a boxer-puncher who likes to get off in spurts. He fights at a measured pace and usually only cuts loose when he feels he can put his shots together in combinations of twos and threes. He'll be comfortable allowing Angulo to push the fight and look to either get off first before Alfredo starts winging his looping hooks, thus disrupting his momentum, or he'll wait for a break in the storm and try to counter him with well placed hooks, crosses and uppercuts while Angulo looks to reset. When all is said and done, Alvarez should see everything that Angulo launches his way. Angulo will have his moments during the fight and could very well give Alvarez a good scare, but in the end he'll probably take too many big shots flush to the head and face. His power and toughness will make the fight one worth seeing, but Alvarez's skill should prevail over Angulo's will. Surely, Alvarez-Angulo has all the needed ingredients to make a pretty good scrap with both fighters having their moments before a memorable ending.

But....At one time PPV fights were reserved for the best of the best. There was usually an element of drama that accompanied them as to who would win. That all started to change with the emergence of a young Oscar De La Hoya in the early nineties. With De La Hoya, it only took a fighter with a name known only to quasi boxing fans in order to make a PPV event/fight. Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao took the baton from Oscar and now De La Hoya promotes Alvarez, the supposed new "must see" fighter on the ascension. Yeah, perhaps Canelo is a PPV fighter down the road, but not coming off a resounding defeat against another fighter who's fighting to keep his career relevant and maintain his status as a championship caliber opponent. The only thing that would make Alvarez-Angulo more appealing and viewed by more boxing fans and possibly potential fans is if it were on Showtime.

Frank Lotierzo can be reached at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

Absolutely, you don't get shut out 12 rounds to NONE, embarrass yourself with poor effort, no heart, no spirit, no killer instinct and worse being out hustled by a fighter 14 years older than yourself, THEN come right back asking fans to pay 70 bucks to watch you again.

NO thanks.

I hope Angulo blasts him out of there in two rounds. It is conceivable it could happen

Carmine Cas says:

It should be, but I also think Showtime is using this as a gauge to see how Canelo does PPV wise. It's a good card but Idk how well Canelo is known to the casual fan.

Carmine Cas says:

NO thanks.

Lol Amayseng always bringing the passion, I love it.

Carmine Cas says:

NO thanks.

Lol Amayseng always bringing the passion, I love it.

Lol Amayseng always bringing the passion, I love it.

I know I took it personally for some unknown reason...haha

King Beef says:

Looks like a sports bar fight night!

Skibbz says:

I think canelo will stop angulo.. He's been battered a lot in the last few years and the toll on his body will start to tell. No one questions his heart chin or will to fight but canelo is younger faster arguably a better boxer and powerful enough to put angulo away for the night. Kirkland stood his ground with angulo and managed to give him a beating, can canelo do the same? I think so.. Angulo underestimates canelo same way he did with kirkland, and when what you expect doesnt turn up i don't think he's the man to change his view and adjust, he will just try get a jaw lock on canelo and get bust up for his efforts.

Coxs Corner says:

I will not be buying it. Fights like this use to be on Free TV. No wonder MMA is so popular free fights every week and meaningful championship PPV cards. Meanwhile boxing fans have to shell out big moolah to watch a half way decent match up. No thanks.

No doubt this fight should be on Showtime. No freaking way I spend 50 bucks on this card. Maybe once the TSS checks start rolling in I will buy some of these not worthy PPV's. Reinvest the money back in the sport.

dino da vinci says:

He's insane and that's why I love him. Reminds me of the crazies I went to school with back in what seems like a million years ago. Roast, your tennis player gets more beautiful with each picture you post. And while I don't follow the sport, I do know tennis talent. Truly beautiful woman.

LOOK! My reader-mates, I already told you guys to go to Firstrowsports.com and holla at this upset bout for free. The red-headed hype will get exposed again. He will lose, but will likely get a gift draw. Holla!

I don't want to go on a tennis rant here Dino but tennis players are alot like boxers without getting punched in the face. Tennis players and boxers can come from any small corner of the globe. I love the worldwide aspect of both sports. Both athletes step on stage alone and go one on one. It doesn't matter where you come from if you got game, if you can bang, if you got the nerve you will get paid. Win and move on. Lose and go home. Randall "Tex" Cobb once said about the difference between tennis and boxing, "You get beat in Tennis it's 40-love, in boxing it's your asss."

Don't complain about the cost of the bout(s) when you have firstrowsports.com to holla at it FREE.

Don't haggle with the PPV poop, get into the cyberspace loop. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

@the Roast.

One of the best written books I have ever read on any topic is 'Open' by Andre Agassi. Insanely great writing style. The very little I know about the great sport of tennis is from that book.

The Shadow says:

10 years of tennis here. From six to 16. Was a table tennis champion too.

I tennis, you're trained it be a gentleman. In boxing, you're taught to be a killer.

As for the thesis of this article? This fight was on PPV where it belonged. Enough with the idealismyopia -- yes that's a home cooked portmanteau coined for boxing specifically.

Marquez-Bradley was PPV, two B-sides put together, who in their previous appearances didn't even crack half of what Canelo did in his first appearance as a B-side.

Bradley's PPV figures as a B-side, altogether, didn't even crack half of Canelo's one appearance (before last night.) did people protest that it was PPV then? Not really. Bradley is one dude who shouldn't be on PPV.

On top of that, in order to cover the purses, all GBP needs is 60,000 buys. And they also needd to gauge how big he is on his own. Not putting it on PPV would be silly. Besides, if people don't like it, protest with wallets! Pirate! Whatever.

Force the content providers -- promoters -- to get around the hefty costs of distribution (ie PPV), just like WWE did. They have more than enough content to satisfy a fan for months.

Don't believe me? Try the WWE Network. They haven't even uploaded a fraction of their library, yet, according to reviews, there's already enough content for a subscriber not to run out of stuff to watch for about 40 years.

The true crooks are satellite and cable. They take $30 out of each PPV purchase for doing essentially nothing.

Right now, SHO has around 25m subscribers, give or take 10%.

If SHO (and/or GBP) offers an upgrade, over-the-top package of premium boxing content including PPVs to their current subscribers at $19.95/month, they only need 10 percent of their current subscribers to sign up for that upgrade in order to NET what would amount to the PPV gross of PAC-Marquez, PAC-Rios, and Marquez-Bradley.

Or a combo package of SHO premium cable, the OTT network + wifi for all users for $29.95 (they're already offering free and discounts through other dealers anyway).

In addition, GBP would have an outlet for smaller shows instead of shopping for TV deals, they could even lease slots to other promoters who are doing smaller shows. They could produce their own reality shows. The opportunities are endless.

In the end, stars are made, value goes up, prices go down and the fans win.

Shieeeet, I'd be GLAD to conduct extensive market research among subscribers and boxing fans and see how many would go sign up for this and what it would take.

Stephen, Richard, holla at ya boy. I can have it done in one week with graphs, charts and pies.

I suggest writers start understanding economics, become more financially literate, and spend more time reporting the reality.

Should be on Showtime. Please....

The Shadow says:

10 years of tennis here. From six to 16. Was a table tennis champion too.

In tennis, you're trained to be a gentleman. In boxing, you're taught to be a killer.

Bradley's total PPV figures as a headliner, altogether, didn't even crack half of Canelo's one appearance (before last night.) did people protest that it was PPV then? Not really. Bradley is one dude who shouldn't be on PPV.

Right now, SHO has around 25m subscribers, give or take 10%.

In the end, stars are made, value goes up, prices go down and the fans win.

Should be on Showtime. Please....

@shadow tennis too?

funny. me as well. point guards and now tennis. ironic.

I started playing at age 4 and if it werent for baseball being in season at the same time I would have played

through school.

We play as much as we can between sports.

great game, one that you can play into your 60s

dino da vinci says:

@shadow tennis too?

funny. me as well. point guards and now tennis. ironic.

through school.

We play as much as we can between sports.

great game, one that you can play into your 60s

Or into your 90's, like legendary MGM mogul Kirk Kerkorian does daily.

dino da vinci says:

@shadow tennis too?

funny. me as well. point guards and now tennis. ironic.

through school.

We play as much as we can between sports.

great game, one that you can play into your 60s

Or into your 90's, like legendary MGM mogul Kirk Kerkorian does daily.

K-Ker is down with properly eating his boiled eggs, eating his Korean pine nuts and gulping down his beet juices.

He be playing tennis at a 120 years young. Holla!

The Shadow says:

@shadow tennis too?

funny. me as well. point guards and now tennis. ironic.

through school.

We play as much as we can between sports.

great game, one that you can play into your 60s

Wow, really? You're a pretty awesome athlete man. And yeah, that is ironic! Boxing, tennis and basketball.

And yes, used to play it a lot with my father. (You're probably better than me at both hoops and tennis, though. Your culture breed winners, mine not so much. Lol.)

I used to love watching it with my grandma and my cousin. Our family loved Boris Becker. He was a cool guy to root for. Seemed very nice, he lost enough to where you would root for him but still won enough tournaments to where you got gratification from actually following him.

Never wanted to root for Sampras, he won too much lol. Andre Agassi was unbeatable for a brief spell in 94-95 so I hated him too. Until he lost, came back and became No. 1 again. Then he was my favorite. Funny how that works.

What sports other than baseball do you have your sons playing?

If you started at 4, you must have been pretty good. I had pretty crappy training...you have awesome training over here. Speaking of which, reading about Agassi, the way his dad trained him, I remember thinking he reminded me about Floyd Sr. and Joe Jackson.

Random, I know.