Angulo: "Khan and Ward Told Me I'm Ready For Canelo"

BY The Sweet Science ON March 04, 2014

marcos-and-angulo 9a0fb

“TOE TO TOE: CANELO VS. ANGULO” SHOWTIME PPV® FIGHTERS MAKE THEIR GRAND ARRIVALS AT MGM GRAND: MUY GRANDE!!

HUNDREDS OF FANS AND MEDIA GREET THE BOXERS

WHO WILL FIGHT THIS SATURDAY, MARCH 8, IN LAS VEGAS;

TICKETS STILL ON SALE; PPV TELECAST STARTS AT 9 P.M. ET/6 P.M. PT

LAS VEGAS (March 4, 2014) – As hundreds of fans and media stood in lines that stretched from the sidewalk outside the main doors to the make-shift ring inside the lobby of MGM Grand in Las Vegas, popular Mexican boxing superstar and former World Champion Canelo Alvarez, his opponent this Saturday, Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo, and five-of-the-six other fighters who’ll compete on “TOE TO TOE: Canelo vs. Angulo,’’ made their official entry into the hotel Tuesday afternoon.

In what’s expected to be a slugfest in the main event this Saturday, March 8, on SHOWTIMEPPV® (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT), Canelo (42-1-1, 30 KOs) will face the double-dangerous Angulo (22-3, 18 KOs) in the 12-round super welterweight main event.

In world title fights that precede Canelo vs. Angulo, undefeated two-division world champion and current WBC Super Bantamweight titleholder Leo “Terremoto” SantaCruz (26-0-1, 15 KOs) will defend against crowd-pleasing, former three-time world champion Cristian “El Diamante” Mijares (48-7-2, 22 KOs) and IBF Junior Middleweight World Champion “King” Carlos Molina (22-5-2, 6 KOs) will defend against undefeated Jermall Charlo (17-0, 13 KOs), who missed the arrivals, but was due at MGM Grand later on Tuesday. A 10-round lightweight fight between former two-time world champion Jorge “Niño de Oro” Linares (35-3, 23 KOs) and exciting Japanese contender Nihito Arakawa (24-3-1, 16 KOs) will open the telecast.

All of the fighters were welcomed enthusiastically by the appreciative fans, but the biggest and loudest cheers were for Canelo, who entered MGM Grand lobby wearing sunglasses and a smile. He was quickly surrounded by fans and media as cameras clicked and TV cameras rolled. Each boxer signed autographs, posed for photos and completed press interviews.

Tickets for the event promoted by Golden Boy Promotions are on sale and priced at $600, $400, $200, $100, $50 and $25, not including applicable service charges and taxes, with a total ticket limit of 10 per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com. Movie theater tickets are available at participating theater box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com.

Below is what the fighters said upon their arrivals on Tuesday.

CANELO ALVAREZ:

“I had a very relaxed camp, but, at the same time, I was very anxious to get back in the ring.

“More than the style difference [between Mayweather and Angulo], I’m just happy to be back in the ring. It’s a tough fight, but I’m very confident.

“I learned a lot from fighting Floyd, but I’m ready to get back in the ring to maintain the path that I was on before. This is what I love to do. I live to fight and we’re ready for Saturday.

“I’m fully concentrated on this fight. What happened in September is in the past. I’m focused on Saturday and Angulo.

“I’m here for the fans. That’s what I fight for.”

ALREDO ANGULO:

“Every fight is important, but this one is more special because all of the fans in Mexico will know that the winner of this fight is the No. 1 Mexican fighter. It’s a huge fight for Mexico and it’s a huge fight for Canelo and me.

“Everyone can have their own opinion on who will win the fight. My fans know what I do in the ring and they know what to expect on Saturday night.

“My hand will be raised. I’m ready now and I will give the fans my best performance against Canelo. You will see the best Alfredo Angulo on Saturday.

“Amir [Khan] and Andre [Ward] told me that I’m ready. They told me this is my time.”

LEO SANTA CRUZ:

“I’ve been in the gym training really hard so when fight day comes I can give them my best.

“It’s a huge motivation to be fighting in a big co-feature on a pay-per-view event like this. It would be a dream come true for me to fight in a main event. But I need to win to get that opportunity.”

CRISTIAN MIJARES:

“Leo is a great fighter, but in this sport you win some and you lose some. Come Saturday, I’m coming to win.

“It’s a great honor to be on this card with this Canelo and Angulo. We’re going to do our best to put on a show.”

CARLOS MOLINA:

“I’m more eager and hungry than I’ve ever been for a fight in my life. I can’t wait to walk in that ring. This is what I’ve worked for, this is what I live to do.

“This guy is undefeated, but he’s never faced anyone like me. I’m still the champion and I’ll still be the champion on Saturday.”

JORGE LINARES:

“This reminds me of 2007 when I won my first world title, the only difference is that was at Mandalay Bay instead of MGM Grand.

“I respect Arkawa’s game. I respect what he did with Omar [Figueroa Jr.], but I’m a different fighter. The ‘Asian Rocky’ won’t last very long on Saturday night.”

NIHITO ARAKAWA:

“I’m grateful to be back in the United States and this time I’m going to win.

“My last fight was a war, but I didn’t come out with the win. This time, we’ll put on another war, but the result will be different.”

stormcentre says:

Who are you guys picking for Angulo V Canelo and why?

A draw! Hehehe! Holla!

stormcentre says:

Why?

dino da vinci says:

AA

stormcentre says:

It’s a pretty good fight to analyse as Canelo really hasn’t fought anyone as tough and that will just bring it, as Angulo.

And Angulo really showed that he can - within reason - deal with Lara’s skills, which therefore says something about Angulo’s ability to handle boxers more skilled than him - which Canelo is said to be.

But then Angulo is hittable and not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed. 

Mind you, most probably wouldn’t want to find him in bed with your wife - you’d probably not want to make a big deal out of it - perhaps just tuck him in.

What’s your rationale for your choice DD?

dino da vinci says:

For most of the reasons you stated above in the first part of your post. I'm not yet sold on Canelo being a monster. Can he fight? A bunch. I was fortunate enough to get Angulo at +745. To me, that is exceptional value for the underdog in this fight. Do they have the right guy favored? Yes, but the line isn't based in reality.

I'll take Canelo. Canelo really wants to circle and box. He's not a brawler. Angulo is a tough guy but he is not a mystery to solve for Scooby and the gang. He will be right there in front of Alvarez to be hit and hit often. Golden Boy would not risk this budding cash cow. They know what they are doing. Angulo will land a bomb or two but Canelo will take the fight by UD.

stormcentre says:

Yes, that’s a point I considered too.

GB were prepared to risk Canelo with Floyd because there still is an upside and a lot of cash involved.

With Canelo and Angulo, they more than anyone should know who has the best ability.

That said, Oscar gets his head and heart mixed up a lot with predictions - mostly against Floyd though where his jealously comes into play - and one thing he probably won’t be able to gauge, if any, is how much heart Canelo has when being hit hard.

Still, as you say Angulo is no mystery to solve.

Sometimes, they're the toughest though.

If you're a top level fighter and have all your fundamentals down pat, then you need to be able to tuck your chin in, move around, and load up in the right places.

This fight will really be a barnstormer.

Thing is though, even if Angulo wins, there is the upside for GB right there, so that could defeat the logic that they wouldn’t risk Alvarez.

Also, if Angulo is hanging with Ward and coping with Kahn’s speed, there’s some good prep work there - particularly with Ward, as he (the version that fought Froch) would lay Canelo out in my humble opinion.

dino da vinci says:

In my lifetime of asking them beforehand, I came to the conclusion that many fighters and exfighters, managers, trainers, promoters and 'astute' boxing fans have an ordinary opinion on upcoming encounters. And while it's an impressive percentage of fighters predicting the winner at the conclusion of the bout, it isn't nearly as high if you used their opinion that they held before the first bell.

stormcentre says:

Yes, agreed.

stormcentre says:

Yes, agreed.

Carmine Cas says:

The speed training and the fact that he's working with Khan and Ward will all play a factor Saturday. Angulo did get to the superior technician in Lara but he will also be right there for the more powerful Canelo to hit. It's an interesting fight

dino da vinci says:

Yes Carmine, I too believe it's an interesting fight. And historically there have not been a lot of interesting fights with 10-1 odds, as the oddsmakers have made this encounter.

Since Angulo has been released from his debilitating stay at the deportation center( and the Kirkland fight proceeding that) he's taken a lot of punishment win or lose in every fight.
As Dino mentioned it's hard fight to predict....or gauge Angulo's fitness level.
I also wonder if Angulo's been getting beaten up in sparring.

So many factors to consider... Canelo is said to be a harder puncher than Lara. But Lara gets tremendous snap and leverage while Canelo throw more punches in combination.
Either way Angulo's getting hit hard and often....
Will he be able to snuff the kid out before he takes too much punishment is the only question.

Angulo is my favorite between the two. But he's been getting tagged too much lately. I still hope he wins but if not... He could always play supporting roles as a villian with his rugged looks.

Maybe replace the old guy who plays the lead role in the Machete movies....lol.

Angulo is a bullet-proof animal. He can take a lot of punishment and rebound. Don't believe the hype of the talking heads. They just talk jive and high five.

The red-headed hype is in another fight. And he is not iron, but more like straw.

Again, I'm calling this thing a darn draw. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Again, I'm calling this thing a darn draw. Holla!

I kind of see where you're coming from. Or at least my theory is that they both have a lot of promotional upside, if the fight is competitive and close they would rule it a draw.

Angulo gassed himself out against a killer in Kirkland, under the tutelage of Virgil Hunter he will be fighting a lot smarter.

Carmine Cas says:

Again, I'm calling this thing a darn draw. Holla!

I'm very interested to see if this speed training pays off.

Damn how did I miss this conversation?

I think if we get the Angulo who gave Lara hell until the stoppage, then Angula pulls it out, or will be robbed.

I think Angula's motor will just be too much for the low work rate of Canelo.

By round 9 Canelo will be gassed and have no pop left and instead of running to the finish line he will be down in rounds and not be able to catch up.

Having said that I wont be surprised by any result of a win / loss / ko /draw/ UD, by either fighter.

Also, Angula being with Hunter and working with Ward can only improve his abilities in every way.

I think Canelo's team is mediocre

ultimoshogun says:

I have Angulo winning for the same reasons amayseng pointed out. I just don't think Canelo can fight at Angulo's pace for 12 rounds and will fade in the second half. This one's gonna be brutal fun, both will land big bombs, both will be ripping hooks to the body. I already feel sorry for their livers.