Roach: If Bradley Runs, He'll Make It A Boring Fight

BY Michael Woods ON February 11, 2014

roach f1840
So Manny Pacquiao will fight a rematch with Timothy Bradley on April 12. And fight fans are curious as they count down: will Manny look to rumble, and show some of that 2009 style fire, or will he be the smart in and out technician that he was against Brandon Rios in November, fighting in a manner that impressed the judges and most fans, if not the sorts who adore the search and destroy version of Pacman from a few years back?

I posed the query to Coach Roach, Pacquiao's longtime trainer and sidekick. On April 12, will Manny rumble or be a ring general? Because, I noted to Freddie, Bradley had much more trouble with Ruslan Provodnikov's pressure than he did Juan Manuel Marquez' patient manner.

"Ruslan and Manny are two different fighters," Roach noted. "If Bradley's gonna fight like he did in his last fight, and he's gonna run and move a lot, we have to cut the ring off and attack him a little bit more, yes. If Manny attacks him and fights three minutes of every round like he did against Brandon Rios and throws combinations, I think we have great success with that."

I'm inclined to think that Bradley is a better boxer than he was when he and Manny met for the first time, in June 2012, when CJ Ross proved once again, but not for the last time that she desperately needs Lasik surgery.

I sense it in his body language, that he's more comfortable as an athlete and human being. But does Freddie think the same? Is Bradley better than he was in 2012?

"I don't think he's better, I think he's the same guy," Roach said. "He's a good boxer but sometimes he tends to get into a fight, and that's when he mistakes, because he likes to exchange sometimes. When he exchanges with Manny, Manny is the better, faster puncher, and the better puncher of the two, and like Ruslan was, and he'll be able to hurt him. But if he runs the whole night long, then he'll make it a little bit of a boring fight. But it's hard to a win backing up so there will be points where he'll have to exchange with us, and we're going to have the advantage, I think."

And, I wondered, will Tim be a rumbler or a mover on April 12?

"I hope he does press, because that'll bring the best out of Manny," Roach said.

Readers, your thoughts? Will Bradley be the trading type on April 12, or the patient, and cautious-aggressive sort he was against Marquez?

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Bradley is going to get on his Bambi no doubt. But Da Manny is gonna hunt him down and make holler the "O'ShYT" shout.

Bradley is going into a deep freeze when see Da Manny speedy punches coming at dat big, ole cranium.

Bradley will have the Eye of The Deer.

Da Manny shots will be coming at Tim's noggin like headlights from a ghost-Mac truck. And Tim will be one body rocking, but big foot frozen like a buck.

In this violent -- and it will be violent -- dance, Bradley will not have one scintilla of luck. Without crooked-arse, cheating judges Ford and Ross, he is totally F-word that rhyme will PUCK! Holla!

Brad says:

I think Bradley learned his lesson in the early rounds of the first fight not to slug it out with Manny. Expect Bradley to be on his bicycle, but I think it will be a very interesting fight. As a matter of fact, that will probably make it a more interesting fight.

DaveB says:

If Bradley can't punch as hard as Pacquaio, which he can't, it doesn't make any sense for him to stand there and trade. He also cannot afford to run just to run. He has to use movement and score effectively. I think he can do that. Whether he can win remains to be seen. I think this fight will be interesting. I wish it had been made right after the first match. Bradley offered that option because what else could he do? I understand most observers thought he lost so his suggestion was to settle it via a rematch. Any way that is water under the bridge. Now both guys get a chance to make things right. That is a good story and the right thing to do.

Bradley will not be successful in running. His plan is to survive. He will clinch and try to sneak punch. He is a jump-in and jump-out fighter. And a Cali Cranium Crusher head-butt technician. Jumping straight in and jumping straight out will be his downfall.

Bradley will not see the shots that are going to knock him down and out. Bradley is one of the most flawed belt holders ever. And he is a long way from clever. He has just been used to halt the storm from the Pacific Rim. These ______ ________ ______ don't care about him. They just T-Baby used Tim.

And in the words of a child of GOAT Ali and even Fam May: "That _____ is gonna get his @$$ f*%ked up.... He didn't beat Packaw [$¡¢] the first time. It is just some Filipino-hatings _______ dumb enough to say day syet!" Holla!

Please do a lot of running Bradley.... Paq dont like like when you run........I watched the original fight the other day. Bradley absorbed a lot of left hands ... In spite of that his movement and stamina was superb. ...and he made Paq miss a lot of punches.
I think Bradley has slightly more potential for improvement
But will it be enough. Athletes usually only improve by small degrees.
Like Dave said its time to set the record straight, I have it as nearly a 50/50 fight....Slight edge to Paq but I expect Bradley to put a little more weight behind his feather fists.
I probably won't order it...just brown bag it this time around.

Bradley shows up wearing roller skates. He will be fleeing all fight long if he gets past three rounds.