Broner: "I've Been Eating A Lot of Ice Cream"

BY The Sweet Science ON December 12, 2013

BronervsMaidana12-12-2013 e4724

"DANGER ZONE: ADRIEN BRONER VS. MARCOS MAIDANA" AND UNDERCARD FIGHTERS MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES

Adrien Broner, Undefeated WBA Welterweight and Three-Division World Champion:

[On how he prepares for a fighter that is so aggressive]: "He [Maidana] has never fought me. He's never seen anybody in the ring like me, so he doesn't know what he's going to encounter."

[On doing anything different in training to maintain his punching power at 147 pounds] "I'm okay. I've been eating a lot of ice cream."

[On Marcos Maidana being a knockout victim] "I don't have to explain what is already understood. He makes a lot of mistakes.

[On flying 65 family members to Colorado for Thanksgiving] "I just wanted to have a good time for Thanksgiving and see my family, but it was right back to work after that.

"I have to stay focused. I am not going to allow distraction. I'm not going to lie. This is the biggest fight of my career to date. He is going to try to hurt me, so I am ready and focused."

Marcos Maidana, Former WBA Junior Welterweight Champion:

"The plan is that when I fight Broner, I am going to hit him everywhere and be busier. I'm prepared to throw many punches in the fight and pressure him. I've also trained to cut off the ring.

"It's very important to attack the body, the arms and later the head.

"I am not sure that he [Broner] is the best I've faced, but he is definitely different."

Keith Thurman, WBA Interim Welterweight World Champion:

"I am truly blessed to be where I am in the world of boxing. This is a dream come true. I have been boxing since the age of seven and in the amateur ranks all I ever wanted to be was a world champion.

"I am happy to be here. I am happy to receive the fan base and the recognition that I deserve and being on the networks. I fight hard. I am hungry all of the time and even though I have a belt, I'm still hungry. There are plenty other belts out there and you better believe that my fight against Soto Karass is going to be one heck of a fight. I am also looking forward to 2014."

[On calling out Paulie Malignaggi in the past] "Paulie was on my mind due to that title, but when Adrien Broner took it, then that makes me look forward to stepping into that ring with 'AB' in 2014. A lot of fans want that fight and I want what the fans want."

[On Soto Karass] "I think he is a highly estimated fighter. He is 120 percent hard work and dedication. He says he has a new passion for the sport and I believe him. He has been training hard in camp and I am not underestimating him. I am looking forward to a tremendous fight on Saturday night.

"All you have to do is watch Soto Karass' fights. He gets hit. He tends to have a little bit of boxing skills and we will see if his team was working a little bit more on that with this fight. No matter what I plan on being the sharper fighter, the stronger fighter and the smarter fighter."

Jesus Soto Karass, Welterweight Contender:

"Keith Thurman doesn't have a weakness. He's a young fighter and he's strong. He is going to give it his best, but he is going to see that I am hands on. I have put more effort and concentration into my career than he has. I admit that I am the more daring fighter and Thurman has never fought someone with my mentality.

"God willing I will fight the winner of Broner vs. Maidana.

"I have prepared well and I have no fear of Thurman because I have fought tougher fights. We're going to give it our all in the ring."

Leo Santa Cruz, WBC Super Bantamweight World Champion:

"I'm going to do what I have to do in the ring. Since I was younger I had a dream of becoming a champion and make a better life for my family. I have been able to accomplish that dream, but I know that if I lose then everything would be taken away.

"Sometimes I can't believe that I am at this level of fighting and everything I have accomplished. I am excited and very happy because this is what I have worked so hard for, and I don't want anyone take that title away.

[On how much longer he will be at this weight] "Right now everything is good. I would like to fight one or two more defenses then move up in weight."

Cesar Seda, Super Bantamweight Title Challenger:

"I have trained really hard for this fight against Santa Cruz. I'm focused and ready for Saturday night."

Beibut Shumenov, WBA Super & IBA Light Heavyweight Champion:

"I'm very happy to be here and I just want to show everybody that I am the best Light Heavyweight Champion in the world."

Tamas Kovacs, Former WBO European & WBF Light Heavyweight Champion:

"My training camp has been going well. Shumenov is a good boxer, but I am a more intelligent fighter."

Jamell Herring, Former 2012 Olympian Prospect and Lightweight:

[On Lance Williams saying he was going to knock him out] "If you look at his record and the opponents he has fought, they weren't tough. I was in the Marine Corps and I have been through worse. I have had more experience in both my amateur and professional careers. I am definitely not threatened by him."

Lance Williams, Lightweight Prospect:

[On his opponent Jamel Herring] "He is a high volume puncher but I am going to go out there and be the aggressor. I am going to come straight forward and cut the ring off."

Ricardo Alvarez, Junior Welterweight Prospect:

"I am really happy to be here in San Antonio. I'm really happy that I am going to be able to box in front of the Mexican fans.

"I have been here with my brother in the past, so I know the type of fight fans to expect. I'm going to put on a good show. I'm confident that I am going to win this fight and would like to fight Omar Figueroa next."

Robert Easter, Jr., Top Lightweight Rising Star:

"I trained hard and hopefully I will get my opponent out of there early. It's about the knockout. I've only been to the third round in my career so far. At this point I'm not getting paid enough to do a display of boxing for all of those rounds. I make it a point to get my opponent out of there earlier. I'm going to go out there and give it my all. I give him two or three rounds. I'm feeling strong right now, stronger than I have ever felt."

Jermain Taylor, Former Undisputed Middleweight Champion:

"Training has been great and I have been really focused in camp. I am 35-years-old so I have a small window of opportunity. I have been boxing since I was 12 and I am an Olympian. People would say that I would never make it to the Olympics and I did that and they also said that I would never be a champion and I did that too."

[On whether his legacy of fighting top-notch champions is recognized] "I have fought many talented champion in my career and I don't care about the legacy. I'm happy. My family is being fed. Damn the legacy."

Rau'shee Warren, Three-Time U.S. Olympian (2004, 2008 & 2012):

"I don't know anything about my opponent, but that doesn't matter. It will take me about a minute to figure him out. Because I have been around the world and I'm a three-time Olympian. I have fought in different countries. I have had to fight different styled fighters and have had to learn to adapt.

" I'm ready for a win on Saturday. I've been training in Colorado with my team and I am motivated. My team always motivates me to be in the best shape I can be."

Bernie Campbell says:

Future Gubenatorial candidate Broner will be kissing babies 1 half of an hour before his fight with Madana!

These guys are ready to perform.... This is going to be a magnificent show.

The Shadow says:

Nothing but a showcase fight. I don't really care much for him but easy work for Broner. He might stop Maidana with a body shot.

The Good Doctor says:

I don't know why but I think Maidana gives Broner problems early. Whether on purpose or haphazardly, Broner is a slow starter. Maidana may be able to lay a little wood before Broner gets going but I think Broner will close the show and win 8-4.

good weekend of fights for sure.

Hard to say how any will go exactly just looking forward to them.

AB has the skill, but does he possess not only the mentality but boxing iq? Madaina is a tough out for anyone

I'm glad to see at least one person is looking forward to the fights.

The only thing that allowed me to survive another week of grinding out hour after hours of soul -snatching over time...... was the anticipation of reclining in my favorite chair.... sipping on a cold beverage of my choosing while watching a rogues gallery of my favorite action fighters.

Rees... Escobedo... and DeMarco were showcases...I think of .Maidana as a hard-case whose punches carry several degrees of magnitude more risk and danger than the sweet- jabbing-feather-fisted-one , otherwise known as...Announcer Paulie. (and a real fight might break out)

I never pay attention to what Broner does outside the ring, that stuff doesn't interest me but he is far more interesting inside the ring than at least 75% of most prospects.

I'll take my boxing enjoyment where I can find it... China.. Monte Carlo...Russia...or Adrien Broner.... There were 7 fights on last weeks cards possibly 12 if you caught the under card shows...and Only a few were satisfying. I'm positive this weekends fights can't possibly be anywhere near as underwhelming as the previous weeks'. I hope everybody enjoys their weekend ...you deserve it.

And on the plus side this should also be a good week for making predictions. Lol.

I'm glad to see at least one person is looking forward to the fights.

I am with you Bsug, I have been working overtime the last few weeks as well, I do home health and this weather more than anything wears you down. It was 14 degrees here on the upper east coast yesterday and about the same forecast for today. Hell last Saturday I hit the gym early then never left the house till Sunday evening even missing church due to the snow. I have the same mentality as you, grind this week out doing the best I can then I am hitting the recliner for boxing. Only one college football game this Sat, Army-Navy

I am with you Bsug, I have been working overtime the last few weeks as well, I do home health and this weather more than anything wears you down as I am in and out of my car 12-16 times a day. It was 14 degrees here on the upper east coast yesterday and about the same forecast for today. Hell last Saturday I hit the gym early then never left the house till Sunday evening even missing church due to the snow. I have the same mentality as you, grind this week out doing the best I can then I am hitting the recliner for boxing. Only one college football game this Sat, Army-Navy. Enjoy the fights!

12-16 visits? Wow...sounds like you aren't milking the clock either.
And then a workout.... Talk about maximizing your day.
But I can relate.. I work at home and sometimes my car won't move for 2 or 3 days at a time.
While making sure my grandson is keeping his grades up.
I dedicate this weekends fights to us working guys !!!!!

12-16 visits? Wow...sounds like you aren't milking the clock either.
And then a workout.... Talk about maximizing your day.
While making sure my grandson is keeping his grades up.
I dedicate this weekends fights to us working guys !!!!!

I probably wasnt clear, my bad, 6 visits a day but out of the car into a home and back out into the cold back to the car.. So in and out off and on through the day.
but hell yes, this weekend fights for us....

but hell yes, this weekend fights for us....

I always thought that was an amazing job... I work in health care too but not as a direct health care provider likevyourself (we deal with drugs) ..... sure..... I get cursed out everyday by phone but thats nothing compared to the pressures and sensitivities of working with patients and their concerned families face to face...not to mention the confidentiality and legal ramifications. You can't get caught "slipping" for sure. Well ....here's a toast to a good night of boxing.

Carmine Cas says:

Broner looks like a real fatty poom poom

The Shadow says:

Did you see him at the weigh-in today though? He looked good at 144.

appreciate it, it's a good gig for the most part. Trouble arises when you are dealing with multiple conditions and medications and contraindications. A lot to consider at all times. A knee replacement is easy work, but those pressures you speak about are when you run into a tough challenge. like a patient I have now is 47 years old, and had a CVA (stroke), has right side neglect and depending on me to help her recover to a normal level.
Not to mention my first visit was right after Thanksgiving with an audience of 10 family members. Ya some pressure there. haha. I constantly pray for guidance to do the best I can that is for sure.
I am sure you run into difficult situations as well. Do you work for a drug manufacturer?

Amayseng its either one of the largest or the largest prescription benefit managers in the world... We mail prescriptions and manage drug benefit plans for about 70 million people including government plans and many of the biggest corporations in america...that's all I can say or they will send black clad ninjas after me at 4 am to insure that I perish by lethal accident..... I respect what you do .... It takes virtue, vigilance and character ...

broner only weighed 144.5 at the weigh-in. thurman weighed only 145, and he was fighting junior welter in a few of his fights. These guys are taking it serious. they both look to be in the best shape of their lives. dana looked unperturbed and confident... don't forget he beat soto-karass, so you can't count him out. be sure to record these fights because you will likely want to see them again. wish I coud speak on shumenov vs kovacs but I know very little about either but they both looked primed and focused at the weigh-in. santa cruz's dance partner doesn't look like the usual patsy's cruz has faced... I expect him to be tested early and if he can maintain... wear down his opponent in the last quarter of the fight.

dino da vinci says:

And now you'll be eating soup through a straw.

Carmine Cas says:

And now you'll be eating soup through a straw.

Hahahaha yes! Looks gluttony finally took it's toll on you AB.

The Shadow says:

Hahahaha yes! Looks gluttony finally took it's toll on you AB.

Maybe he can use some of that ice cream to sweeten his brand new side piece of HUMBLE PIE!

No way! That fractured-in his face's cheek windpipe, loose-teeth small _____ is livid. His team is already questioning if Maidana was clean. Holla!