Rigo Wants Donaire or Lomachenko Next

BY Michael Woods ON December 09, 2013

rigondeaux-wins 91351In a nation seemingly evermore scornful of subtlety, Guillermo Rigondeaux is in a tough spot. He’s the first, second or third best pugilst on the planet, with hand speed and power galore and a knack for footwork that tells me that he’d win the next Dancing With the Stars in a runaway. But the Cuban still fights in the same manner he employed in about 500 amateur fights, rat-tat-tatting his foes, and then waltzing deftly away, out of range. You want tradefest, you don’t want to watch a Rigo fight. This makes things somewhat harder for advisor Gary Hyde, who saw Rigo on Saturday night have his way with challenger Joseph Agbeko, a Ghana-born hitter who lived in the Bronx before moving to Vegas to train with Roger Mayweather.

The fans go ga-ga over the traders, and crave see-saw action more than they want to admire clinics put on by pugilists-scientists.

I asked Hyde how he handles that, and what he thought of Rigo’d UD12 win over Agbkeo, and what’s next for the talented artist.

“I am really proud to be Rigo’s manager,” said the Irishman Hyde, over email. “I thought his performance was flawless. Rigo always shows me something new and against Agbeko he showed how he can neutralize whatever the opponent brings.” That wasn’t all that much after round two, as Agbeko became discouraged, and he ceased to be busy and voluminous. “The fans were disappointed that Agbeko was afraid to make a fight of it,” he said.

And next for the Cuban? “He will enjoy Christmas and in January we will welcome negotaitions for a (rematch with) Nonito Donaire or a fight in April, against Vasyl Lomachenko. Rigo will fight any 122 or 126 pound fighter once they agree they will not weigh over 135 pounds on fight night.”

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Rigo wants Donaire more than a pittbull craves bil jac. But Lomanchenko didn't seem that appealing to him..... Rigo didn't look scared.. He just looks like he wants a bigger payday.

It is always about the moolah -- FIRST and FOREMOST -- for boxers with a brain. It is the art of prizefighting. Tough, dumb guys do that pride-fighting double-turkey jive. They spoil the fanfaronades, fluzzies and fanboys. Holla!

I would rather see Lomachenko in against some appealing competition for a few fights before jumping in with

Rigo.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I wasn't impressed with Lomachenko on the Rios vs. Pac Man undercard. I think Rigo destroys the guy I saw, but I could be wrong.

The Shadow says:

He wasn't on that card, maybe that's why? He did well in his last bout. He's like a GGG Lite.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

My bad, it was the Bradley vs. Marquez undercard. My sentiments are the same, he should steer clear of Rigo. Based on what I saw, Rigo schools him easily.

The Shadow says:

Oh, hell yeah. He knows himself, he said he wasn't ready for him yet. Funny, that's what I've heard from quite a few pugilists and promoters publicly.

I guess you never really get truly ready for your Last Meal. LOL

SRD I think everyone should steer clear of Rigo, I dont see anyone in his division beating him...The dude is

a pure boxing lesson to be had...

Lomachenko is also making the transition to different gloves. in wba they use gloves thicker and more padded that also dont close into a tight fist. Pro gloves are much different. Lomachenko has the goods, but I dont think you throw him in there with Rigo so soon, an early defeat could be harmful. I would steer him to exciting "pac" like bouts, then he will prosper.

stormcentre says:

It's a smart move for Rigo to call out Lomachenko for a few reasons.

Firstly it will make Bob think twice about trying to use a fight with Lomachenko to scare, beat and/or coerce Rigo to do what he wants.

Secondly, it will make Lomachenko think .. .'"do I want my undefeated professional career to end this way and this soon".

Lomachenko is a very skilled and accomplished boxer, but Rigo will not only school him - he will embarrass him too.

The Shadow says:

It's a smart move for Rigo to call out Lomachenko for a few reasons.

Thunderstorm, as always, superbly on point with your observations. Didn't think of that.

I think Bob wishes he had someone he could sacrifice him to before he goes to the other side of the street. But he doesn't. So he resorts to demeaning him instead.

I was watching him earlier. It seems like EVERY time he gets hit, he answers back with fury to discourage the guy and keep a sense of total control.

What concerns me is that it seems like he can do this at will. Maybe I'm wrong. But if he can maintain the same type of control, I think he can brutally beat people. I'm afraid it will take someone great to bring it out in him.

What do you think, Storm?

stormcentre says:

I think he - as they say in the UK - has the goods.

Rigo is about as sugar coated and sweet as you can get with the science of boxing.

If this guy doesn't get branded with the "Sugar" moniker soon it will be amazing.

If I was promoting him I would be calling him "Sugar Guillermo Rigondeaux".

His skills are other-worldly. I heard that he just toyed with almost everyone Roach had at his Hollywood gym. That includes all the Middleweights and higher weights. I think he would easily hold his own with Mayweather in a spar.

That's what I think.

Don't believe everything that you hear, Storm. He did no toying at the Wildcard. He seriously whipped arse, and some arses held their ground. He is honey for your money. But a lot of people don't know the original game, and that is a shame.

Cuban Willie's problem for promotion is that he has no hot dog in him. He is serious biz even with the facial expressions. If he clowned, with love and money from the fanfaronades and fanboys, he'd be drowned. They don't know or want boxing pureness. They want buffoonish jiving and conniving.

Admit to IT. Big-money making PROFESSIONAL BOKSING is a freak carnival of the unusual -- not the purist. Holla!

The Shadow says:

I think he - as they say in the UK - has the goods.

If I was promoting him I would be calling him "Sugar Guillermo Rigondeaux".

That's what I think.

I agree. I've on gone on the record, and so has RG, stating that Rigo would beat Mayweather in an amateur bout. In sparring, I definitely think he would hold his own. Floyd himself knows, too.

According to his fighter, Mickey Bey, in a recent interview, he said there are only one or two fighters in the game who can match for skill. Doesn't take a genius to figure out who he's referring to....

As for Rigo toying with people in Cali, I heard the same thing first hand when I went to Wild Card after Mayweather-Cotto. I even went to the gym down here in Florida he works out at. No one can touch him. He routinely whoops on bigger guys.

When he first got to Wild Card, he was begging to spar Pacquiao. Roach didn't want him NEAR him because it wouldn't be good for him. And he's on the record saying this! RG confirmed this story, too.

Dude is the truth. But here's the thing I wondered. Since control is his main focus, clearly, when he's fighting, is it possible for him, from an esoteric boxing standpoint -- and I'm asking y'all two now, or any other top level fighter who may be watching -- for him to maintain the same control -- lulling his opponents to sleep, essentially -- while letting off more than 1-2s?

Could he possible be throwing three or four punch combinations when he has a gun shy opponent in front of him? Because to me, it looks like he can do what he wants in there.

Rigo is fantastic, he will truly need challenged to bring out the best and excitement in him.

Cuban Willie can definitely throw more punches, but it is not his nature. "Toying" is a term that I apparently don't understand. CW is always seriously doing da do. He doesn't toy. He seriously make you "play and pay," as the oldtimers use to say.

Toying is what "Unforgivable Blackness" and GOAT Ali use to do -- whip a$$ while talking to you and grinning at. The only talking that CW does is with his mitts and moves. Jiving and conniving is what Sugar Ray Leonard and "Sweet" Pete Whitaker use to do.

Help me out with the term "toy(ing)." If it is like a cat does a rat before the kill and talking jive while doing it, that ain't Cuban Willie. He doesn't jive. He just strings as if you are in 1,001-$trong beehive. Holla!

The Shadow says:

I hear ya, RG. Semantics. How about "controls" or "dominates?" Both are apt, I think.

By the way, y'all, here's Freddie Roach's verdict on Rigo that I've referenced before:

“He's the best counterpuncher I've ever seen,” he said. “When I did the pads with him, I simply could not get through his defense. I tried. I couldn't, though. On his first day in the gym, he wanted to spar with Manny Pacquiao. I didn't allow it. I don't want Manny getting that kind of work in sparring.

“Manny is a bit big for him, but he's an offensive guy and with countering like that, he was more work than I needed. He's one of the greatest talents I've ever seen. Probably the greatest talent.”

Keep in mind, this is the same guy that trained James Toney and Bernard Hopkins.

stormcentre says:

I heard that for a while there, when Cotto and Rigo were both trained by Pedro; Rigo was walking rings around Cotto and utterly embarrassing him. Apparently Cotto claimed he was better than Mayweather.

I can't validate the rumour as it came from a guy that is a little prone to exaggerating but I have heard from others that this significantly played into Cotto's others reasons to leave Pedro and go to Freddie.

To me, Rigo is like a supercomputer boxing machine. Some of the punches he decides to throw are so clever and surprising; you can't but help to say he is a genius. His right jab, and left cross combinations can be - at times - absolutely faultless.

One of his KO's involves a guy that is getting hit. The combination is a left cross lead, and then a right jab follow up; that just bludgeon's the other guy.

As simple as the combination is, it is brilliant for many reasons. Not many boxers follow up a right (or left; for Southpaws) cross lead with anything other than a hook (be it to the head or body) from the opposite hand.

Particularly Southpaws.

Rigo would have been perfectly safe following up his left cross with a right hook on this guy (whom I have forgotten his name but it is @ 4.17 here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Q4C5IuVng ); but instead - always thinking defensively and brilliantly - he pushed a totally unexpected southpaw right jab right into the guy's face to spectacularly follow up on the right cross with.

If you look at the video you can see how the end result looks confusing and hard to understand - this is not just because the victim is simply so outthought but also because the combination is not what anyone would expect.

Check it out, as the right jab follow up for Rigo in this sense is not only clever - it is also very similar to the final punch in the 3 punch combination I spoke of when previously discussing Gamboa

The Shadow says:

Awesome, awesome post, Storm.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Rigo ran Cotto out of Florida. It must be tough on someone with an already dented psyche to be embarrassed by a bantamweight.

I wouldn't be shocked at all.

And that knockdown was SICK. You could tell that the guy was totally confused. Even the pace rhythm of the combo was simple, yet brilliant.

stormcentre says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;41576]Awesome, awesome post, Storm.

I wouldn't be shocked at all.

Your high-level insider observations are truly appreciated. Never managed to find that Gamboa combination, though. But from what you're telling me, Rigo can easily pull that off, too.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. . . . .

Rigo can pull that move off too . . . and probably do it employing a ton less risk too.

But then Rigo is the cerebral boxing introvert.

Whereas Gamboa is the cerebral boxing extrovert. He loves to court the extra risk and convert it into entertainment value.

Both guys are the result of an awesome amateur program.

I don't hear Lomachenko calling out Rigo or telling anyone "bring it" . . in response to Rigo's (and Arum's) callout

[I][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]I't would be nice to see Rigo vs Lomanchenko.....

But too many hurtles exist.

Recently Rigo specifically challenged Nonito Donaire saying that the would issue a traumatizing beating to the 2012 FOY if they were to fight again... instantly seizing on the opportunity in response to Donaires' challenge after his life and death struggle with Darchinyan. However Rigo wasn't as enthusiastic about facing Lomanchenko. This was Max Kellerman trying to insert a battery in Rigo's back in an effort to encourage a matchup between two legendary former amateurs.
Rigo did said he would fight Lomanchenko, but he never called him out. He simply ageed that he'd take the fight for the right money. Rigo also said the fight would have to take place at 124lbs.
Lomachenko's response was he would fight Rigo, but no way is he goint to fight for the featherweight title at any weight other than 126lbs. 124 being totally out of the question.

Besides this is simply bad business for TR,... at the present time only the hardcore and ethenic (Cuban and Russian) fans even know who these guys are.

I don't think the fight will happen unless there was a massive amout of money to coax Rigo up to featherweight. But unfortunately Rigo doesn't hold any cards to force Lomanchenko to starve down to a 124lbs.

I feel like a fight with a young lion like Lomanchenko at the full 126lbs limit wouldn't be in the best interest of Rigo, He's already maxed out at super bantam weight. (122)
Like Floyd Mayweather, Rigo only rehydrates a few pounds above his weight class. His conditioning, strength and skill being so superior to the competition that he can afford to fight at a weight that's he's comfortable with (without having the need to boil down to a lesser weight he could easily make like 118 where he could potentially hold all kinds of advantages) It was announced that Rigo only rehydrated to around 125lbs for Agbeko and Donaire fights while most bantamweights routinely rehydrate up anywhere between 135 and 140lbs. At Rigo's age there's no chance of him growing into featherweight unless it's due to the natural inflammation that occurs to people as they age.

In Contrast, Lomanchenko weighed in at 132lbs for his two fights in London. This doesn't even account to what he weighed when he stepped into the ring. As lean and lithe as Lomanchenko looked in the ring he could have easily rehydrated to above 140lbs.

Personally I don't see the fight ever being made.
[/SIZE][/I]
[SIZE=3][I][FONT=arial]I hope they can match Rigo with someone like Santa-Cruz or Cruz's last opponent, Seda (which is highly unlikely due to network affiliations) And I'm sure Mares doesn't want to have anything to do with Rigo at any weight.

On the other hand, Donaire has been pretty mute about facing Rigo after issuing his Stern challenge on the HBO Telecast (or Arum has helped Donaire regain his senses)... Maybe watching the Rigo / Ageko fight produced flashbacks.
Hopefully TR can provide Rigo with a decent challenge sometime soon before the man's hair starts turning grey.

[/I][/SIZE]

Grimm says:

Give Lomachenko two more years and a handful of fights as a pro, and he would - if they ever where to meet - give Rigo a stern challenge. A phenomenal fighter. I've been in awe of his technical complexity as an amateur, and like Rigo, he masters distance - but is more aggressive. Not saying Rigo isn't a phenomenal fighter. He is, truly is. Pure joy to watch him.

The_King_AJ says:

[QUOTE=brownsugar;41605][I][SIZE=3][FONT=arial]

I hope they can match Rigo with someone like Santa-Cruz
[/I][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Lomachenko was notably small for the 132lb division, in which his opposition consisted of natural 140lbers like 2013 LWW world gold Toledo, pro prospect Ramirez, 2012 olympic LWW silver medalist Berinchyk etc. You can see how small he is in WSB too for example compared to the others. I don't think he hydrates to anything over 135lbs. I consider Lomachenko a natural 128lber. The only reason why he moved up to the 132lb division was because they eradicated the 126lb division.

Given what I've just mentioned I personally feel that 124lb catchweight would be a reasonable compromise for both fighters, however Rigo has now stated that he is willing to fight dudes at 126lbs as long as the fighter doesn't rehydrate past 135lbs. Lomachenko would be good to go. I actually feel Lomachenko would beat Rigondeaux.

I wouldn't mind making a thread about him later on, he's my favourite fighter and one of the very, very best I've ever seen.

deepwater2 says:

Hey guys, Vasyl Lomachenko will beat Champion salido in his second pro fight and make history. Big time. YouTube him is all I can say. Happy new year.

dino da vinci says:

Please Editor Mike, can we keep'em? He'll be good. We promise! Please? Please?

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=The_King_AJ;41975]Lomachenko weighed in at 125lbs and was 129lbs on fight night. Granted, I thought he looked pretty gaunt on the build up. It's clear he was keeping his weight down. I hope his camp can learn that you can cut a different way.

I feel that even the high volume Santa Cruz would be gun shy against Rigondeaux. Rigondeaux receives so much blame for his fights, but it's not easy to have an entertaining fight with a guy who's just staying in the ring to survive, or would be too hesitant almost to the level of paralysis to trade. The reason for this I feel is is actually the power of Rigondeaux's punches.[/QUOTE]

Yeah give him another shot, whats the worst that can happen?

The_King_AJ says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;41992]Welcome to the Universe! You sound like a knowledgeable guy! Do you box? Look forward to reading your insights on here![/QUOTE]

The_King_AJ says:

[QUOTE=the Roast;41996]Yeah give him another shot, whats the worst that can happen?[/QUOTE]

It would be an easy money victory for Rigondeaux. Does Arum even want this fight after all of the negative reviews it has received? It was my favourite fight of 2013 personally.

You know, if I was Rigo's promoter I would make him fight contenders who have an unthreatening style, so that Rigondeaux can look more entertaining to the casuals, maybe even come forward a bit in a more aggressive style. Rigondeaux would thus make sales based on him being a KO artist who just goes in there and knocks his opponents out. I mean, sure Mike Tyson was very fun to watch, but watching a KO1 or KO2 is hardly getting your full moneys worth

Let Rigo do this for just one year, having 4 or 5 fights before taking on another big opponent. In which case, fighting the 126lbers would be the best option with the rehydration clause.

Rigondeaux was actually an impressive at coming forward back in the amateurs, but over time he developed the masterful style he has today. Here is a fight where you can actually see this, against a top amateur in Mammadov (he had his name changed to Mammadov).
[video=youtube;o0vj4k9Z-s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vj4k9Z-s8[/video]

[QUOTE=The_King_AJ;42049]It appears Donaire's confidence seems a little shot if you ask me, El Chacal stole his soul. His power isn't holding up as much at 126lbs. It's one big thing I didn't like about Donaire. He is a notorious weight cutter who bullied his tiny opponents at super flyweight and bantam.

[video=youtube;o0vj4k9Z-s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vj4k9Z-s8[/video][/QUOTE]

Thanks for reviving the thread King... Your input is most welcome.

The_King_AJ says:

[QUOTE=brownsugar;42054]Thanks for reviving the thread King... Your input is most welcome.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

The Shadow says:

He says boxing should be what Kirkland vs. Tapia was. Unbelievable.

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=The_King_AJ;42001]Thanks, I don't box. Does everyone box here? I'm a student at university...but more importantly, I'm also a student of boxing Great, I look forward to discussing.[/QUOTE]

The_King_AJ says:

[QUOTE=The Shadow;42119]Loma's manager is talking sh*t now. He's saying he wants to avoid Rigo because he's "boring."

He says boxing should be what Kirkland vs. Tapia was. Unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

He appreciated the sort of fighter Rigo is a couple of times in the latest interview, but told the truth in saying he's boring for casuals and fears people will walk out half way, and that if they want the fight Vasyl would be 126lb (obviously Rigo will go on to set that rehydration clause of 135 which is fine for Loma).

He's glad Loma got the knockout even though it's not what Lomachenko planned to happen as he wanted to go 10 rounds - something I said he would plan to do before his pro debut - attemping to pace himself over a 10 rounder rather than try and quickly stop the guy, but was going so slow that even his trainers were telling him he can pick up the pace a bit. People who are judging Lomachenko from that fight really haven't seen anything yet

The_King_AJ says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;42123]I still box. I will be boxing at Gleason's Gym June 14 at the Masters Championship. The week before that I will be doing a 5k run at the HOF weekend and toasting Trinidad and De La Hoya at the banquet dinner so I hope I keep my weight down and limit myself to 4 fingers of scotch.[/QUOTE]

'Still'? I'm assuming you're quite the veteran boxer?

deepwater2 says:

[QUOTE=The_King_AJ;42160]'Still'? I'm assuming you're quite the veteran boxer?
Lucky, I'd love to visit them guys, De La Hoya is one of my favourite fighters of all time and I always have this inner shudder when someone says 'He lost in all of his major fights'.[/QUOTE]

The_King_AJ says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;42175]All you have to do is show those guys is the Ike quartey fight and the Vargas fight on youtube. I think the Bazooka quartey fight was my favorite . Oscar put on a master class and out jabbed the guy with the bazooka jab that no one else would fight. You got to hand it to DLH and Trinidad, they fought all comers (some a little shopworn) but you would never hear those guys demand another guy leave their promotional outfit or demand to know what another fighter is making. Also the Mosley DLH fought was not the Mosley that lil Floyd fought. Oscar was out of his weight class when Hopkins did a number on him. To put it in perspective do you think that Floyd would fight Hopkins at 160 even at the age of 50? I think losing a fight in boxing is not the end of the world and depending on how they lost ,a loss can actually add to a respect a fighter earns.[/QUOTE]

Every single 'loss' of DLH's had a very strong back story:
Trinidad - Robbed in that fight
Mosley 2 - Robbed in that fight + Mosley was busted for roids
Mosley 1 - well, who knows if Mosley had roids then
Sturm - DLH looked like a short, fat kid lol
Hopkins - Loses to Sturm. How is he expected to cut it against Hopkins, a guy who was way too huge for DLH? And maybe DLH milked the body shot a bit.
Mayweather - 3/4 years past DLH's prime and DLH is a part time fighter at this point.

[QUOTE=The_King_AJ;42177]Quartey, an underappreciated resume because there's not very many top names on it. Quartey's jab is among the very best I've seen. From what I remember, Quartey-Vargas was far more competitive than the judges had it.

Every single 'loss' of DLH's had a very strong back story:
Trinidad - Robbed in that fight
Mosley 2 - Robbed in that fight + Mosley was busted for roids
Mosley 1 - well, who knows if Mosley had roids then
Sturm - DLH looked like a short, fat kid lol
Pacquiao - shot, coming off a terrible win over Forbes, smaller than DLH on fight night. The only reason DLH was favourite because of how big DLH is.[/QUOTE]

i agree and have commented on this years ago.

dlh whooped a prime and lethal trinidad, boxed his ears off. he was stupid to let up giving away rounds but still won the majority and was robbed.

dlh also fought a phenom shane mosley who at that age would have given floyd hell for 12 rounds.
shanes foot speed then was prime and top notch, not the 38 year old who fought floyd