Roy Jones Fighting in Russia Dec. 21, NOT PA on Dec. 18

BY The Sweet Science ON December 03, 2013

ROY JONES, JR. TO FIGHT IN MOSCOW ON DECEMBER 21

PENSACOLA, Fla. (December 3, 2013) - Square Ring Promotions and Hrunov Promotions announced today that Roy Jones, Jr. (56-9, 40 KO’s) would be back in the ring on December 21, 2013 in Moscow, Russia in a 12 round WBU Cruiserweight title fight against Frenchman Zine Eddine Benmakhlouf (17-3-1, 8 KO’s).

“Roy is excited to be coming back to Russia to fight, and we are very happy that we were able to put this together so quickly with our good friend and partner Vlad Hrunov,” said John Wirt, CEO of Square Ring Promotions. “We are disappointed that the fight with Bobby Gunn didn’t happen, but there were just too many loose ends, and it was taking far too long. Vlad came forward and closed the deal on Monday. We have a longstanding relationship with him and his team and knew that he could make it happen.”

“I told Bobby that I would fight him. I meant it then and mean it now,” said Roy Jones. “On Saturday, John told me that they were still trying to make changes to the contract, but that he could make a deal with Vlad, so I told him that the first one to close a deal was where I was gonna go and Russia won. That’s why we’re calling this fight ‘Winner Take All.’”

“This is my early Christmas present to all Russian boxing fans,” said Vlad Hrunov. “Most Americans don’t realize how much Roy is loved here in Russia—he’s bigger than Ali or Tyson. Russian fans want to root for Roy—that’s why I picked a foreign opponent for him. December 21 is going to be a huge Christmas party and a great night of boxing.”

“I encouraged Roy to take the fight in Russia,” said McGee Wright, Jones’ longtime manager. “We have been developing the Russian market for the past couple of years and it was the perfect time for Roy to fight there again. It’s always a pleasure to visit, and we are looking forward to another RJJ classic!”

Roy needs to find a protege and fight all his future bouts vicariously through him.

hahaha exactly

wait, doesnt he have like 2 sons?

I live vicariously through my son, in a way. I dont pressure or stress him, but i receive a lot of happiness

when I see him him succeed. Hell I feel the same way when he does well on his

report card, or goes to the grocery store with my mom to help her so she doesnt have to lift anything heavy.

Hmm...Maybe Roy is not close to his children at all and that's why he keeps fighting to fulfill that void..

@A-seng, RJJ is super close with his twin sons. He experience the same thing that you did. The mother walked. From birth, he reared them as a single dad. Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

hahaha exactly

wait, doesnt he have like 2 sons?

when I see him him succeed. Hell I feel the same way when he does well on his

Roy keeps fighting because he needs money. Sad but that dude's biggest fights are now with financial advisors and the IRS.

TGD, Roy Jones Jr has a net worth of $45mil, according to very reliable sources. Dude is far, far from broke. Holla!

tlig says:

I seriously doubt that. I know he owed the IRS millions a few years ago and get the feeling he's still very much in the red financially. I hope I'm wrong but over the years fighters who have continued fighting long after they should have retired (Tommy Hearns, Riddick Bowe, Evander Holyfield etc) have denied being broke just before it emerges that they are down financially.

tlig says:

It is not even complicated to find to that info. Negativity believes what it wants to. Donald Trump owed the IRS MONEY a while back, but he is still worth $2bil. Money May owed the IRS $6mil a couple of years ago, but he has since showed off a bank account of $140mil.

What it is, is that haters like to stereotype boxers as being money dumb, when that applies to about 10 percent who make the real big bucks. Small-money-making haters are the most amount of people in trouble with the U.S. IRS. RJJ is still making BIG purses and laughing all the way to the bank. And heck NO! He ain't broke. Holla!

BTW, being broke and in debt to the IRS is two different things. A lot of fighters -- like a lot of business persons and entrepreneurs -- hide their off-the-record money and pay from the IRS. Tricks of the trade are everywhere for those adroitedly in da dough. Holla!

The Good Doctor says:

Those reliable sources are using numbers are from about 5 or 6 years ago so I understand your logic. I've see the same number tossed around in many circles. Dude has been popped by the IRS 3 different times, hasn't made any real money from fighting since he fought Bhop (In which he lost a lot of the purse), and that massive Florida property he owns had and may still have foreclosure proceedings on it. I hope I am wrong but he has all the symptoms of being broke.

Also as a quick aside, one the flaws calculating net worth is the assumption that you "own" something you actually are still making payments own. A house, a car, furniture etc. are not true assets until you own them with no payments. People have found out quickly how you can lose your assets that you have paid on for years once you stop making the note.

I dig your point, TGD. I'm indeed talking about ownership not partnership with creditors. You are ditto about his property in Florida and a vehicle or two. But one thing about being a great athlete is that car dealers and other dealers give you a lot of free stuff.

I'm talking about RJJ's net worth, not gross. He can give up that property in Florida and be completely out of debt. But he plays the game of money like most of all the BIG-money ballets and shot callers. Holla!

i didnt know that, glad to hear it.

some athletes just cant ever move on...

hahaha exactly

wait, doesnt he have like 2 sons?

when I see him him succeed. Hell I feel the same way when he does well on his

Know what you mean Amayseng...you sound like a proud father .......by the way 17 years old is my cut off limit. I wont pick a fight with anybody older than 16 or younger than 65.

The Shadow says:

BTW, being broke and in debt to the IRS is two different things. A lot of fighters -- like a lot of business persons and entrepreneurs -- hide their off-the-record money and side notes from the IRS. Tricks of the trade are everywhere for those adroitedly in da dough. Holla!

RG, that may be true but don't believe CNW's reported net worth's of celebrities. They utilize a faulty method of calculating net worth. For boxers, they accumulate purses.

Robin Thicke in one interview with Howard Stern was asked about his net worth, with Stern referencing CNW, and he laughed it off saying he doesn't have that much but the number was a total number of what he had earned throughout his career.

That said, I don't doubt he has things stashed away somewhere. But CNW is mostly for entertainment purposes. It's not an accurate source of true net worth.

The Shadow says:

They also say Al Haymon's net worth is $15m.

Ponder that for a minute.

He probably makes that off Floyd alone in one year. I heard his fighter deals go up to as much as the twenties (though I haven't seen the contracts myself).

Good that you have come from "under the weather," The Shadow. I'm glad that you are soaring like an eagle over it now. You made my point. Nobody with a brain will reveal his/her whole nine about da moola.

No way that the shadowry Al Hangman is going to reveal his under-the-table cash-money deals. Again, only small-money makers report all dey [$¡¢] $+Δ$h to the IRS because they are scared that they will be caught, and they don't know how to write off expenses. Especially using the loophole of losing more money than you made in a year as self-employed for a time before it is considered a hobby -- then you cannot write off it anymore.

I bet you a ton that the U.S. Gov and the Mexican one are not taking accountant wiz Juan Manuel Marquez to the cleaner. It is all about the loopholes, babee! Hang out in the loop and don't believe the poop. Holla!