Floyd Mayweather Is Named "Supreme Champion"

BY The Sweet Science ON November 12, 2013

MAYWEATHER11-12-2013 58e47

BANNER YEAR FOR FLOYD "MONEY" MAYWEATHER CONTINUES AS BOXING'S BIGGEST STAR RECEIVES HONOR FROM THE WORLD BOXING COUNCIL

Ten-Time, Five Division World Champion Voted "Supreme" Champion

Las Vegas (Nov. 12) - Ten-Time World Champion Floyd "Money" Mayweather can add another honor to his growing list of accolades as the World Boxing Council (WBC) has named him WBC Supreme Champion. Representatives from the 165 countries that form the WBC unanimously voted to bestow Mayweather with this unique award following his many years as a WBC Champion complemented by his 2013 back-to-back wins against former WBC welterweight champion Robert Guerrero and former WBC Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez.

"I am honored that the WBC has named me Supreme Champion," said Mayweahter. "It's a blessing to have won several WBC titles throughout my career. Being recognized by the boxing community means a lot, so I want to thank the WBC and its members who voted for me."

It's been a busy and productive year of ring successes and honors for Mayweather. In addition to being named WBC Supreme Champion, Mayweather was awarded the 2013 ESPN for Best Fighter and Fighter of the Year by the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame.

He also set and broke several records. In February, he entered into a groundbreaking pay-per-view deal with Showtime Networks Inc. and its parent company CBS Corporation to comprehensively promote six fights over 30 months. Most recently, his September 14 fight against Canelo Alvarez set the record as the highest-grossing pay-per-view of all time with more than $150 million in U.S. revenue alone, surpassing the previous record of $136 million generated by Mayweather vs. Oscar De La Hoya in 2007.

"2013 has been a big year for The Money Team," Mayweather continued. "It feels good to be where I currently am in my career. I am looking forward to 2014 being another exciting year for me. I appreciate the recognition and all of the support my fans shown me over the years."

The WBC will hold a special event in Las Vegas to formally give Mayweather his award in the near future.

Hop says:

To me the write-up is unclear as to whether this "Supreme Champion" award is a one-timer, an annual thing, every few years, etc. Furthermore it is similarly vague about its criteria. It says that it was given "following his many years as a WBC Champion complemented by his 2013 back-to-back wins ..." -- like it's almost a hybrid fighter-of-the-year + lifetime achievement award. LOL And does "supreme champion" encompass all the greats of the past, or only those currently fighting? Very muddled state of affairs, seems to me. I think they really just wanted to say "WE LOVE YOU, FLOYD!" (plus it's an opportunity for some publicity for our organization).

The Shadow says:

And that's a way to do just that!

Maybe next year they will devise yet a new unheard of award, to kiss his butt after a few years ago he told sanctioning bodies he ain't fighting for their titles because he ain't paying ridiculous fees, and name him
Super -Duper-Intergalactic-Fantastic-champion-of-champion-of-champions...

or some other dumb ****...

this truly has no meaning at all to me or floyd. he is the legit lb4lb fighter and champion of 2 divisions right now........he doesnt need some made up award from the wbc as they are just doing this for their own attention..

riverside says:

The wbc has no integrity, the Sulaimans have no legs to stand on! they are worried Money May will jump ship, The other alphabets will honor Floyd demands in a heart beat!

SouthPaul says:

I'm nominating myself supreme Sho 'Nuff and y'all can kiss my Converse.

I'm nominating myself supreme Sho 'Nuff and y'all can kiss my Converse.

haha

exactly

Hop says:

At least they did present Floyd with a special prize in keeping with the award (pictured below), which I thought was nice ...

Ha ha...lol that's the first thing I thought of when I heard the announcement...good one Hop.

didn't they just elect jose as dictator ,,,,,er president for life?!?

same thing the way he runs things

ultimoshogun says:

I'm nominating myself supreme Sho 'Nuff and y'all can kiss my Converse.

Ha, nice movie reference. I remember hearing or reading Hollywood was planning to remake it years ago...I guess the idea got squashed. I think Samuel L. Jackson woulda been great as Sho 'Nuff.

Hop says:

BTW ... from Ultimoshogun's signature:

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it's action in the face of fear."

Personally, I think this is a great quote, with which I agree completely. Take war. If a soldier bravely puts his own life in danger in order to defend my freedom, I don't really care whether he 'felt fear' going in or not. Whatever he did or didn't feel, he was "courageous" in my book. Courage is action.

The Shadow says:

Now that we're talking about Floyd's awards for his stellar 2013, I was looking at an old article and came across this prediction of the #Mayday card I found pretty funny:

Speaking of this Guerrero, he wants to talk all this biblical ****, "he who exalts himself shall be humbled..." how Jesus put him here to humble boxing!

WTF?

What makes him think he's the Chosen One?

He will get CRUCIFIED by Floyd's Hammer and Nail - his right hand and left hand, respectively - with his face bleeding as if he were wearing a crown of thorns.

In fact, I predict that the self-anointed holy Ghost will regurgitate Bible verses all night. Unfortunately for him, he will be echoing the sayings of Jesus on the cross:

"I thirst!" In between rounds 8 and 9, as he's gasping for air.

In round 10, as he's being pot shot to death, Guerrero will look to the heavens and cry:

"My lord!!! Why have you forsaken me??"

As the grand finale, in round 11, right before succumbing his will to the mastery of Mayweather, Robert will look to Papa Ruben with a defeated face of resignation and scream:

"Father! Into your hand I commend my spirit!!"

And it will be over. By the time of the stoppage, Guerrero will look like Jim Caviezel in the Passion, bleeding from the back and ****. I guarantee it.

The basic reality is this: No man escapes death. And The Ghost will find out the hard way that Floyd is the Grim Reaper of the ring, the Undertaker of boxing.

Floyd Mayweather W11 by way of fistic crucifixion.

Hop says:

Interesting that you found that funny. I would never take that which is most sacred to Muslims and use it as joke material. Perhaps here is a more fitting quote of Christ's from the cross: "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

BTW ... from Ultimoshogun's signature:

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it's action in the face of fear."

I agree, and it should go without saying.

i like hip hop but when i hear these rappers or anyone calling themselves "soldiers", hell i heard a professional basketball player call himself a "solider" it is just an insult an ignorant statement when there are real "soldiers" fighting for our freedom every second of every day. i have nothing but the utmost respect for members of our military. it is one of the most honorable professions anyone can do. in fact, why arent they making 75,000$ a year? or more

The Shadow says:

When you say muslims, what are you referring to exactly? I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I think people that anoint themselves messengers of Christ, especially in a damn sporting event, not only grandly delusional but the real ones in need of being humbled. Which is exactly what happened.